Nick Foles: Ram Tough--MMQB Interview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Foles: Ram Tough

Blindsided by a trade to St. Louis, the former Eagles quarterback is already embracing his new team, his new coach and a new offensive system. Does he have what it takes to be a franchise QB without Chip Kelly’s innovation?

ByJenny Vrentas

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/20/nick-foles-trade-st-louis-rams-philadelphia-eagles-nfl/2/

With one phone call last week, Nick Foles’s job title changed from Eagles quarterback to Rams quarterback. The trade that sent Foles to St. Louis for Sam Bradford (plus an exchange of draft picks) was part of a series of bold moves in Philadelphia and throughout the league that gave the NFL its own brand of March Madness. The transaction has been officially processed, but Foles is just beginning to process a new city, a new team and a new offense.

VRENTAS: When did you have an inkling that you wouldn’t be in Philadelphia next season?

FOLES: The second I got a phone call, and Chip Kelly told me I was traded. That was the first time.

VRENTAS: What was the 24-hour period like when you found out you were headed to St Louis?

FOLES: Shortly after I hung up that phone call, coach [Jeff] Fisher called me and had [Rams GM] Les [Snead] on the line, and [offensive coordinator Frank] Cignetti, and we all talked. They said they were excited to have me. The biggest thing you deal with in that time period is a lot of emotions. On one end, you’re cutting ties with the team you have been a part of since you were a rookie—and that’s all you knew, and your plan was to be back there. On the other end, there’s a great opportunity with a new team that wants you, a team that really wanted to get you. You deal with those emotions in the first 24 hours.

VRENTAS: Entering the offseason, did you think a trade was even a possibility?

FOLES: Anything is possible in the NFL, but in my mind, I wasn’t even thinking about it. In my mind, I was going to be in Philadelphia, and be the quarterback, and be leading the guys I have been leading for several years, because that’s how I think.
More Football Conversations

VRENTAS: Why do you believe you can be the Rams’ franchise QB?

FOLES: Because I believe in myself. And not only that, I know how to play this game. I’m not going to sit here and say, statistically or whatever, but I know I can be that quarterback. But it comes with the [expectation of], I’ve got to show it. I need to show it; I need to go out on the field, and we need to win games. That starts with training in the offseason, doing the right things, and developing those relationships. It’s not just something that happens. It happens over time, and you build it, and I want to be a part of that.

VRENTAS: What was the second half of last season like for you, after breaking your collarbone and having to watch from the sideline?

FOLES: It was emotional. When I got injured, we were winning some tough football games. We were atop the NFC East, and we were really fighting down to the wire and winning some late ones in the fourth quarter, and then I went down. You really want to be out there with your teammates helping them win, but you take on a different role. My job was, I want to be the best person that I can be, the best leader I can be from this position. That came from supporting Mark Sanchez any way I could, to being at all the meetings and practices, and doing whatever rehab I could. I would get there early in the morning, before everything, and train, and then work out during practice in the periods the offense wasn’t going. I wanted to get back, and I wanted to get healthy. My goal was to be back before the season ended last year, and to be able to play the last couple games of the season. But it didn’t turn out that way.

VRENTAS: Do you feel any pressure to prove that you can have success as a starting quarterback outside of Chip Kelly’s system?

FOLES: I don’t want to say “pressure.” I think that it’s going to be different. It’s a different system. I just want to win games here in St. Louis, and that’s going to happen by being the best, smartest quarterback I can be within this system. You can’t have that pressure on you. You can’t think about that. We as players have to believe in ourselves that we can be great. So much of this game is played above the shoulders in the head, and it’s just keeping that mindset. You know who you are, you know how to play this game, and when adversity hits, you’ve got to stick to who you are.

VRENTAS: In 2013 you threw 27 touchdowns and two interceptions. Before you got hurt last season, you threw 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Which of those quarterbacks is the real Nick Foles?

FOLES: Both of them. Those are all me. I don’t want to turn the ball over. I want to throw touchdowns, and I want to help our offense move the ball and get the ball in the end zone. Every single rep I have ever taken, that’s always been the guy who I want to be. I am not going to sit here and tell you that 2013 is exactly [who I am as a quarterback]. I’ve grown since both of those years. I’m a better player, a better person, a better athlete. I know everybody is going to analyze [the different stat lines] until the cows come home. But I’m not worried about that. I just want to work here and be successful here.

VRENTAS: The year after your breakout season can sometimes be more challenging, because opponents know more about you and have more film on you. What lessons did you learn during the 2014 season?

FOLES: Just how important it is to stick together through adversity. We faced some adverse situations through the first eight games. There were three, four games when we were down 10 points, and we came back and won. That was just a testament to the culture we had built. Guys believed in each other, and they believed in me as a quarterback to be able to get the ball down the field and score some touchdowns. It’s easy when you are winning games and blowing teams out. It’s when you have to fight through the fourth quarter that you really build that character. I felt like we were growing. Me as a player, I grew a lot through adverse times—throwing interceptions, having to come back on the field and throw it again. You learn a lot through that.

VRENTAS: There was a sudden change in the Rams’ locker room at quarterback. That can be tricky to navigate. How will you build trust?

FOLES: There’s a lot of emotions that go with being the new guy. But I’m at a great franchise with great coaches and great people, just like I had in Philadelphia. I’ve reached out to some guys, and some guys are here at the facility rehabbing from injuries. Other guys have reached out to me as well. It’s something that’s built over time. You’re not going to do it all in one day. You’re not going to send a mass text message to 100 guys, and that’s it. It comes from working out together, training together, pushing together and going through meetings together. I’m just going to be me and show them who I am. I’m just thankful I have an opportunity to be here. Very, very thankful to be a part of it.

VRENTAS: An ESPN report characterized you as “overjoyed” to get out of Philadelphia. Did you have any uncertainty about your future there?

FOLES: I had been told about that quote. To clear that up, a reporter had texted my uncle, and what my uncle had said was, “Nick is really going to miss Philadelphia. He’s really going to miss his friends and family and the fanbase, but he is really excited about the opportunity he has in St. Louis.” That’s exactly what the text message says. Do you see anything in that text message that says I’m overjoyed? That’s not even a part of it. It got misconstrued. I never said that. I loved my time in Philadelphia. I loved the fanbase, the people, and they will tell you the same thing. I really enjoyed my three years there and am thankful for it. But I’m excited to be in St. Louis, and to be a part of this organization.

VRENTAS: It will be a new offense for the Rams as well, with new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti. What will the offense look like?
FOLES: Coach Fisher really likes the run game, and we have talented running backs here. As a quarterback, you have to have a great run game because that opens up everything else. I’m sure some of the concepts will be very similar to what I ran with Chip and Andy Reid. I’m excited to learn everything and go out there and execute it.

VRENTAS: You were traded. LeSean McCoy was traded. And the Eagles have made a flurry of other moves. Was it surprising to see so many changes to a team you went to the playoffs with after the 2013 season?

FOLES: Yeah, it surprised me. But at the same time, Chip is trying to do everything he can to make the team the best team it can possibly be. That’s why he is making these decisions. He’s doing what he thinks is best for the Eagles organization. And I guess what he thought was best was releasing a lot of the guys who were there. But I believe all the guys who were released or let go or were traded have all landed on their feet and they’ll continue to have great careers. And hopefully he’s got guys in there who will bond with the guys in the locker room.

VRENTAS: What reason did Chip give you for the trade?

FOLES: Just that it was just best for both parties. It was a decision they had to make, and he thought it was best for the organization, and he was thankful for my time there. It was a tough thing. You play for a head coach for two years, and you have a relationship. But I understand this business, and you don’t hold any grudges. I’m thankful for Chip and the time he allowed me to be there. And moving on, I am thankful for the Rams organization for bringing me here.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to seeing Foles play. He seems like a nice guy with his head in the right place.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I agree Lazy. I think he'll be pretty solid, and excited to see us extend the field more often.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To quote an old record album by John Stewart; "Bombs away dream babies!" Let's hope they let him go for the home run deep ball often as I think he and Quick are going to be something special. Bear down Arizona! (Wildcat fight song).

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Great interview and Foles was a fan favorite in Philly. I live in the area and you wouldn't believe how pissed people were because of the loss of Foles(more than any other player traded). Now we have had a ton of thread with Bradford v Foles but the truth is the question should be Foles v Hill/Davis. If you look at if from that perspective this trade was a no brainier. I am a huge Bradford fan and wish him all the best but the biggest part of ability if availability. I do think that Foles will lead this team to the playoffs since he is a big upgrade over Hill/Davis and this team showed glimpses of greatness last year with the two of them at the helm. I also think we will start to see more of a vertical passing game since Foles has a strong arm which Hill/Davis don't. Should be a fun season!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Loved this comment after the Q&A:

"Nick Foles is THE most undeservedly disrespected player I have seen in 40+ years of watching the NFL. His story is one of draft pick bias, racism(in 2013 he was deliberately disrespected every week on NFL shows by black commentators who resented him taking over the starting position from Michael Vick) and the power of media propaganda. It was the scheme, it was luck, it was his surrounding players, Foles' success was attributed to anything and everything except Foles himself.

I hope his trade will be looked back upon as one of the team's many low points and further proof that the organization is cursed, because I hope Nick Foles wins multiple Super Bowls in St. Louis. And I'm a Eagles fan for over 4 decades.

Class act and excellent Quarterback. Good luck Nick."

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Well, I saw a thread winner from the Comments section that synoped this article over at PFT......

1. abninf says:Mar 20, 2015 12:22 PM
    At least now he can see a Lombardi trophy when he walks into his team headquarters. He couldn’t do that before.

That one left a mark.........

Big Game

Living The Dream
Great interview i'm very excited to see Foles throwing Deep passes to Britt, Quick, Tavon, and Stedman. #Can'tWait

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I have no choice but to support Foles at this point, and yes, he does seem like a good guy, but I will weep a child like tear each time a see a highlight of Sam throwing TDs in an iggles uniform. :(

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Even more than McCoy?
A lot more. My brother-in-law, a die hard Eagles fan, said he might have to stop watching the Ealges until Chip stops fkn them up! He was furious about the Foles trade. I thought we were gonna have a riot in Philly. Chip attending an officers funeral really gained him some good will with the city, especially after he was called a racist (black police officer killed during robbery)by Robert A Smith. That and the Murray signing quelled the city for now but if they bomb this year you could have a mob riot to evict Chip from his current job!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
but if they bomb this year you could have a mob riot to evict Chip from his current job!
Chip Kelly and Pat Shurmur
mussolini-hanging.jpg

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
@rking441 you mean Stephen A. Smith right? I must have missed Stephen A. Smith calling Kelly a racist.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Top 5 Foles Quotes in MMQB

By Myles Simmons Rams Insider

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Top-5-Foles-Quotes-in-MMQB/4934568a-99ab-4c88-acee-51fda23e01d9

New Rams quarterback Nick Foles has done his share of interviews since being traded to St. Louis last week. This week, Jenny Vrentas of Sports Illustrated’s the MMQB went one-on-one with the signal-caller to talk about the trade and what’s next for him this offseason. Below are the five best quotes from the interview.

1) First reactions

One of the first questions in the post deals with Foles’ first reactions to the trade. He first heard about the transaction from Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, and shortly after that phone call, Rams head coach Jeff Fisher, general manager Les Snead, and offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti gave him a phone call as well.

“They said they were excited to have me,” Foles said. “The biggest thing you deal with in that time period is a lot of emotions. On one end, you’re cutting ties with the team you have been a part of since you were a rookie -- and that’s all you knew, and your plan was to be back there. On the other end, there’s a great opportunity with a new team that wants you, a team that really wanted to get you. You deal with those emotions in the first 24 hours.”

2) 2013 vs. 2014

Foles’ success in 2013 -- throwing 27 touchdowns to just two interceptions -- is well known and has been well documented. But prior to injuring his collarbone last year and subsequently missing the rest of the season, Foles had thrown 13 touchdowns to 10 interceptions. So Vrentas asked which one is the best indication of who Foles is as a quarterback?

“Both of them,” Foles said. “Those are all me. I don’t want to turn the ball over. I want to throw touchdowns, and I want to help our offense move the ball and get the ball in the end zone. Every single rep I have ever taken, that’s always been the guy who I want to be. I am not going to sit here and tell you that 2013 is exactly [who I am as a quarterback]. I’ve grown since both of those years. I’m a better player, a better person, a better athlete. I know everybody is going to analyze [the different stat lines] until the cows come home. But I’m not worried about that. I just want to work here and be successful here.”

3) The new guy

Quarterback is one of the most important leadership positions in sports, given that he calls the plays and has his hands on the football every play. Coming into a new locker room can be a tough transition, but Foles said he’s looking forward to building relationships with his teammates. He told Vrentas that he’s already begun some of that process.

“I’ve reached out to some guys, and some guys are here at the facility rehabbing from injuries,” Foles said. “Other guys have reached out to me as well. It’s something that’s built over time. You’re not going to do it all in one day. You’re not going to send a mass text message to 100 guys, and that’s it. It comes from working out together, training together, pushing together and going through meetings together. I’m just going to be me and show them who I am. I’m just thankful I have an opportunity to be here.”

4) Part of an evolved offense

Aside from Foles, one change the entire unit will have to make is going from Brian Schottenheimer to Frank Cignetti as offensive coordinator. Given that Cignetti was an in-house hire, the base of the offense will likely stay the same. And because Fisher has been coaching in the league for so long, it doesn’t take much to guess what the offense may look like.

“Coach Fisher really likes the run game, and we have talented running backs here,” Foles said. “As a quarterback, you have to have a great run game because that opens up everything else. I’m sure some of the concepts will be very similar to what I ran with Chip and Andy Reid. I’m excited to learn everything and go out there and execute it.”

5) Being a franchise quarterback

In their press conference last week, Fisher and Snead made it clear that they think Foles has the tools to be quite successful in this league and with the Rams. But Vrentas asked the quarterback himself why he believes he can be the team’s franchise quarterback.

“Because I believe in myself,” Foles said. “And not only that, I know how to play this game. I’m not going to sit here and say, statistically or whatever, but I know I can be that quarterback. But it comes with the [expectation of], I’ve got to show it. I need to show it; I need to go out on the field, and we need to win games. That starts with training in the offseason, doing the right things, and developing those relationships. It’s not just something that happens. It happens over time, and you build it, and I want to be a part of that.”

ram007

Starter
Almost every NFL player gives a great interview.

Answers to 2 questions determines Rams success in 2015:
1. Can Nick Foles stay healthy behind this OL?
2. Can this OL keep Nick Foles healthy?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless talk about the Eagles blockbuster trade with the Rams with Nick Foles in exchange for Sam Bradford. They aren't very kind to the Eagles. On the other hand, Smith: "This is a good day for the Rams....St. Louis can make some noise this year...and everybody needs to watch out for them."

Watch Smith/Bayless Talk Bradford-Foles Trade

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless talk about the Eagles blockbuster trade with the Rams with Nick Foles in exchange for Sam Bradford. They aren't very kind to the Eagles. On the other hand, Smith: "This is a good day for the Rams....St. Louis can make some noise this year...and everybody needs to watch out for them."

Watch Smith/Bayless Talk Bradford-Foles Trade

fuck me. the rams are now doomed.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Loved this comment after the Q&A:

"Nick Foles is THE most undeservedly disrespected player I have seen in 40+ years of watching the NFL. His story is one of draft pick bias, racism(in 2013 he was deliberately disrespected every week on NFL shows by black commentators who resented him taking over the starting position from Michael Vick) and the power of media propaganda. It was the scheme, it was luck, it was his surrounding players, Foles' success was attributed to anything and everything except Foles himself.

I hope his trade will be looked back upon as one of the team's many low points and further proof that the organization is cursed, because I hope Nick Foles wins multiple Super Bowls in St. Louis. And I'm a Eagles fan for over 4 decades.

Class act and excellent Quarterback. Good luck Nick."

He's in the perfect position to prove he's a good qb, because no one is going to call him a system qb when we get to the playoffs.