New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Apparently only Inglewood will be ready for the 2018 season, meaning that only Inglewood can be considered for Super Bowl LIV.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Apparently only Inglewood will be ready for the 2018 season, meaning that only Inglewood can be considered for Super Bowl LIV.

I think even contemplating a SB in LA at this time is naive. There isn't even a team there.

Also, after all this time of hush hush talks, I doubt they'd tip their hand because of a super bowl vote. Bumping it a year or two would make much more sense, considering the whole debacle.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
I think even contemplating a SB in LA at this time is naive. There isn't even a team there.

Also, after all this time of hush hush talks, I doubt they'd tip their hand because of a super bowl vote. Bumping it a year or two would make much more sense, considering the whole debacle.

Sense, that's one thing that's in short supply in the NFL. It could be that there saying that the decision is close and we need something more to change our mind.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"But on a day when Rams executive vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff provided an update to team owners on the stadium situation in St. Louis, Goodell also lauded the St. Louis effort.

"There is tremendous progress going on there," Goodell said, a reference to the St. Louis stadium task force headed by Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz.

For those keeping score, that's an upgrade over the "positive developments" Goodell talked about in St. Louis at his Super Bowl press conference 3½ months ago.

"We're going to make sure we give (the St. Louis plan) full evaluation and full consideration, and we'll get back directly to them if we feel that there are any issues that need to be addressed," Goodell said Wednesday."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
IMO Breer has done well giving all different scenarios and how each could come to fruition. Again JMHO, but his reporting has been very informative and seems to be unbiased, if a reporter can be anymore.

I agree.

Big Willie

Starter
Just watched the NFL Total Access discussion on LA possibilities. I am getting really bummed out...again. I am seriously boycotting Walmart ( not that my dollars matter) if the Rams leave the area. I choose to say no to the Raiders and don't want a future expansion team.

iced

Just watched the NFL Total Access discussion on LA possibilities. I am getting really bummed out...again. I am seriously boycotting Walmart ( not that my dollars matter) if the Rams leave the area. I choose to say no to the Raiders and don't want a future expansion team.

don't worry - they're not coming and don't want to anyway

RamBill

Legend
Goodell: Team in LA not yet a slam dunk
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_57c5205b-dfc0-5efb-a4fc-1e07e51c0bee.html

SAN FRANCISCO • As he left the NFL owners meetings Wednesday, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay minced no words when asked about the possibility of pro football's return to Los Angeles.

"It's not a matter of 'if,' " Irsay told reporters. "It's how many."

As in, how many teams.

"I'm certain there'll be a team there in the next couple years," Irsay added.

For his part, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wouldn't go that far during his press conference to conclude the two-day owners meetings here.

"There has been significant progress (in Los Angeles), but I don’t think it’s inevitable," Goodell said. "There is certainly momentum; there are certainly opportunities. I can’t remember the last time we had two facilities that are actually entitled and are being developed. That’s a very positive development . . . but a lot more work has to be done."

By entitled, Goodell meant shovel ready, a reference to the Carson and Inglewood sites in the Los Angeles area.

But on a day when Rams executive vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff provided an update to team owners on the stadium situation in St. Louis, Goodell also lauded the St. Louis effort.

"There is tremendous progress going on there," Goodell said, a reference to the St. Louis stadium task force headed by Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz.

For those keeping score, that's an upgrade over the "positive developments" Goodell talked about in St. Louis at his Super Bowl press conference 3½ months ago.

"We're going to make sure we give (the St. Louis plan) full evaluation and full consideration, and we'll get back directly to them if we feel that there are any issues that need to be addressed," Goodell said Wednesday.

On the topic of shortening the relocation timetable, Goodell noted that he has the authority to do so. (No league vote is needed.) He also indicated that a decision to shorten the timetable would not come soon.

But it is expected that Goodell will indeed decide to shorten the timetable, and reach that decision in a couple of months. That could entail starting the relocation filing in December, shortening the current six-week window to file by several weeks, and shortening the time period between the end of the filing period and the actual relocation vote.

As things now stand, the window to file for relocation is Jan. 1 through Feb. 15 of 2016, with a relocation vote at the NFL owners meetings in late March.

In another indication of the mounting momentum for a team in LA, the league has decided to open bidding for Super Bowl 54 (after the 2020 season) to Los Angeles if LA has a team by 2018.

"If there is a team that relocates to Los Angeles, at that point in time they could submit an application to be considered for the Super Bowl," Goodell said.

The four current finalists for that Super Bowl are Atlanta, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, New Orleans, and Tampa.

Wednesday's meetings began with updates from the three so-called home markets — St. Louis, San Diego, and Oakland — on their stadium situations. With Rams owner Stan Kroenke in attendance, Demoff provided the St. Louis update.

"Our goal was to update the membership on what's happening in St. Louis with the task force, how we got to where we are, and the process," Demoff said. "Hopefully we provided them some color around Dave (Peacock) and the group's efforts.

"It was a completely objective review of what had happened to date in terms of the lease and what the task force has done. There were no slideshows about stadiums, there were no schematics."

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
don't worry - they're not coming and don't want to anyway

I'm particularly bothered by the notion that if the Rams leave and the Raiders come in that we should just take it and be happy. Granted, I'd prefer STL to have a team than not, but to move one team from St Louis to California and one from California to St. Louis is bull shit. Especially when the Rams are on the verge of turning it around.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I don't think they'll announce it now would they? Either way, it was brought up because LA is apparently in the running (at least they were saying that on Twitter), as long as they have the stadium ready by 2018. I guess they require a year in the stadium or something. Some pointed out only Inglewood would be ready by then.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Yeah, I thought the Carson won't be ready for the 2018 season was more noteworthy. That's something that could actually weigh into the decision.

The NFL likes a story. If it's 2020 they could make a big deal about NFL leaving LA in 1995 and 25 years later the Super Bowl & the NFL are back.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yeah, I thought the Carson won't be ready for the 2018 season was more noteworthy. That's something that could actually weigh into the decision.

Well the site is going to require like 36 months of construction (includes capping the site.) Unless they can get the construction crews to work 3 shifts per day.

beej

Rookie
I'm particularly bothered by the notion that if the Rams leave and the Raiders come in that we should just take it and be happy. Granted, I'd prefer STL to have a team than not, but to move one team from St Louis to California and one from California to St. Louis is bull crap. Especially when the Rams are on the verge of turning it around.
I completely agree. It would feel like picking up someone else's chewing gum and chewing on it for awhile.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Well the site is going to require like 36 months of construction (includes capping the site.) Unless they can get the construction crews to work 3 shifts per day.

18 months from the final plan for the cleanup and then another 6 months for final environmental reviews then the construction of the stadium can begin. The unions won't be as willing to agree to the concessions as they did in St Louis since they will have jobs at either Carson or Inglewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.