New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V3

Hall of Fame
If the Raiders move here, I sure hope they change their name. I've always hated the Raiders and their fans. A new name would hopefully bring a culture change to the franchise.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the Raiders move here, I sure hope they change their name. I've always hated the Raiders and their fans. A new name would hopefully bring a culture change to the franchise.

Won't happen IMO the son of Al Davis will never change that name nor the colors, it personified Al Davis and they are too much part of the AFL history and again JMHO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I don't really care either way. I like the silver and black colors though. Keep those.

Although if you think about it, when NFL teams change their names they always come up with something that sucks. St Louis fans are known for being polite, no matter the sport, so if by some awful chance the Rams leave and the Raiders come we'll clean them up.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
That's pretty sharp. That looks like a football stadium. Even got covered upper deck seating for those who can't rattle their jewelry.

Mr_T_18947.jpg

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Although if you think about it, when NFL teams change their names they always come up with something that sucks.

Totally disagree when the Browns moved to Baltimore and the City of Cleveland wanted to protect the Name going to the Ravens was genius. Edgar Allan Poe is one of the most famous Baltimorians and the Raven name and the color scheme was quite intriguing IMHO and trumps the Baltimore Browns alliteration notwithstanding!

Last edited:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/02/st-louis-stadium-rams-raiders-chargers-los-angeles-nfl/

• rams-stadium-1.jpg
  • A look at a potential $1 billion riverfront stadium in St. Louis, which could serve as home to the Rams ... or even the Raiders or another NFL franchise, depending on how the Los Angeles dominoes fall. (Rendering courtesy HOK for The MMQB)

• rams-stadium-2.jpg
    Rendering courtesy HOK for The MMQB
  • rams-stadium-3.jpg
  • rams-stadium-4.jpg
  • rams-stadium-5.jpg

Many people voiced their disappointment with the initial design output of HOK but I was preaching to anyone who would listen (there's at least three of you!) that what you saw was the skeleton, the first offer of negotiations, and that once the Rams begin communicating what they want in a stadium, you'd start to see the bells and whistles added. What you see is several changes.

I love how it's taking shape. I much prefer the classic look + bells and whistles to the space station look (i.e. the Falcons new stadium). I don't want anything to do with a roof, retractable or not. Football should be played outdoors.

There sure have been a lot of updates including:
- enlarged scoreboards with unique design
- upper deck shading with lights rather than the old school pole lighting in the initial renderings.
- transparent seating (aside from the 'St. Louis' on the river-side upper deck (nvm, this was on the soccer rendering which leads me to believe they're still pitching that as well since those seats would be filled during football games)
- one of the stadium-side lots has been changed to what looks like practice facility (though NFL teams would need more than one field, makes me think again that this would be for an MLS team and they're continuing that pitch)
- seat color changes, with both blue and gold
- new luxury box configuration with a lot more room for boxes in the ends and between the upper and lower levels

What does it mean? I don't know about you, but I don't see the city making all of these changes themselves. To me it suggests that the Rams are giving their input (as suggested by Eric Grubman and others) and they are negotiating these changes.

That's a big deal.

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
Won't happen IMO the son of Al Davis will never change that name nor the colors, it personified Al Davis and they are too much part of the AFL history and again JMHO.
Will Davis even be able to keep the team? I thought I heard he doesn't have much money and would probably be forced to sell?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I don't want anything to do with a roof, retractable or not. Football should be played outdoors.

Totally agree. Grew up going to games at Kezar Stadium, Candlestick Park, and the Oakland Coliseum. Wind, rain, fog...it didn't matter. Watching games in a dome is just not the same.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Totally agree. Grew up going to games at Kezar Stadium, Candlestick Park, and the Oakland Coliseum. Wind, rain, fog...it didn't matter. Watching games in a dome is just not the same.
Absolutely. I've wanted an outdoor stadium since the beginning and it's well worth Stan Kroenke putting St. Louis Rams fans through football-fan hell if that's what we end up with at the end of the day.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Totally disagree when the Browns moved to Baltimore and the City of Cleveland wanted to protect the Name going to the Ravens was genius. Edgar Allan Poe is one of the most famous Baltimorians and the Raven name and the color scheme was quite intriguing IMHO and trumps the Baltimore Browns alliteration notwithstanding!

While the Ravens isn't as bad as the Titans, I forgot that they had no choice but to change.

However, their colors look like a wine stain. And their helmet not so good in my opinion.

Although it strikes me that if we changed the name of any team that may move here, it might make the the former city less interested in having them back.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Absolutely. I've wanted an outdoor stadium since the beginning and it's well worth Stan Kroenke putting St. Louis Rams fans through football-fan hell if that's what we end up with at the end of the day.

I admit that I would prefer a dome. One of the friends I go to games with has a 75+ father that loves to go. It is difficult for him as it is, but if it was open-air there is no way he could make it in bad weather (not just getting to seat, but health concern being out in those conditions). I admit that is personnal and selfish reason for it, but I do assume there would be others in his same situation, that 3 hours out in bad weather just isn't reasonable. I am in my fourties, and while I do not enjoy it, I can handle it, and I do understand how many want the game outdoors. I just know it gets tougher on the older fans.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

View: https://twitter.com/Ackerman1120/status/572432583532789760

Did some research for everybody:

Barrett Sports Group:

Barrett Sports Group, LLC provides strategic management consulting services to the sports and entertainment industry. We have a long, successful track record of delivering quality advice to our public and private sector clients. We are committed to providing our clients with practical, creative recommendations that reflect current and expected market realities; not just theoretical research and national statistics.

Our unique combination of experience, expertise, and resources allow us to help our clients make informed decisions. Our teamoffers a broad range of services specifically tailored to meet the complex needs of our clients. Our services include:
  • Strategic Planning
  • Negotiation Advisory/Support
  • Transaction Due Diligence (Acquisition/Disposition)
  • Valuation (Team/Facility)
  • Facility Planning
  • Facility Financing
  • Economic/Fiscal Impact Studies
  • Other Consulting Services
With well over 1,000 sports industry projects, our professionals offer unsurpassed expertise and in-depth knowledge. Contact us to put our experience to work for you today.

Columbia Capital Management:

Now more than ever, municipal bond issuers and borrowers need financial advice that is independent, creative, in-depth and valuable to the issuer’s important policy decisions. Issuers and borrowers need a firm that can provide that financial advice in a responsive, high-quality way. Columbia Capital Management, LLCis that firm.

Issuers and borrowers large and small, from coast to coast, have relied upon Columbia Capital as a strategic advisor for 16 years. Columbia Capital formed in 1996 to provide financial advisory services to municipal bond issuers and borrowers, and to offer investment advisory assistance to local governments. Columbia combines more than 80 years of public finance expertise among its professionals. Columbia’s founders formed the firm to offer issuers an experienced and independent alternative to obtaining financial advisory services from investment banking firms.

As a municipal advisor and registered investment adviser, Columbia Capital provides advice as a fiduciary to its clients—the highest standard of care under the law.

Downtown STL:

Downtown STL, Inc. serves as a catalyst for creating and promoting a downtown that attracts investment, economic activity and vibrancy at the hub of our region. We also manage the Downtown St. Louis Community Improvement District, which supplements city services to make Downtown St. Louis a cleaner, safer and more inviting place.

Fleishman Hillard:

Top global communications firm that specializes in public relations, public affairs, marketing, paid media, and transmedia and social content.

Uncertain about which SMG the Tweet is referring to.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I always liked an open air stadium. Idk why but at night when the lights are on it gives the game a totally different vibe.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Will Davis even be able to keep the team? I thought I heard he doesn't have much money and would probably be forced to sell?

Would be shocked if he sold the team, but stranger things have happened. I could see him taking in a partner to improve his cash flow just like Georgia did with Stan.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
While the Ravens isn't as bad as the Titans, I forgot that they had no choice but to change.

However, their colors look like a wine stain. And their helmet not so good in my opinion.

Although it strikes me that if we changed the name of any team that may move here, it might make the the former city less interested in having them back.

Good points and the Titans went with that name because it was synonyms with the city of Nashville and the fact it had be used before, the Jets were the Titans before changing their name (NFL loves to do that Houston Texans for example too). I totally concur with you assessment of having the former city less interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.