New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Thats not really the point. I'm telling you that LA and San Diego are not pretty much the same market, they're not just right down the street from each other, they're different. If you disagree then you're wrong, that's just how it is. LA and San Francisco, LA and San Diego, they're all no more the same than New York and New Jersey, Philly and Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Washington. Drive time and milage doesn't mean anything, it's about the location. LA and Orange County are right next to each other, and they don't get along either, just like New York and New Jersey don't get along. That's the way it is.

Way to make your opinion fact.....

The fact is there are plenty of redskins fans in Baltimore, plenty of orioles fans in DC. Those people make the trip all the time. I am sure some fans will abandon the Chargers but obviously a number of LA citizens are willing to go to SD, so it is reasonable to assume that a similar number of current fans would travel to LA.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Thats not really the point. I'm telling you that LA and San Diego are not pretty much the same market, they're not just right down the street from each other, they're different. If you disagree then you're wrong, that's just how it is. LA and San Francisco, LA and San Diego, they're all no more the same than New York and New Jersey, Philly and Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Washington. Drive time and milage doesn't mean anything, it's about the location. LA and Orange County are right next to each other, and they don't get along either, just like New York and New Jersey don't get along. That's the way it is.

I'm confused as to what you are actually arguing here. Both the Chargers and Raiders have fan bases in LA. Both cities won't build stadiums. I realize that you don't agree, but having a team move 120 miles is hardly the same as moving one 1826 miles. Now that's nuking a market. It's nowhere near the same and if SD doesn't build a stadium that fan base should thank their lucky stars they only moved that far where you can still attend a game. The fact is you can drive to LA and back in one day and be fresh for work Monday morning. Obviously the Chargers agree that they can still maintain most of their market in SD.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm confused as to what you are actually arguing here. Both the Chargers and Raiders have fan bases in LA. Both cities won't build stadiums. I realize that you don't agree, but having a team move 120 miles is hardly the same as moving one 1826 miles. Now that's nuking a market. It's nowhere near the same and if SD doesn't build a stadium that fan base should thank their lucky stars they only moved that far where you can still attend a game. The fact is you can drive to LA and back in one day and be fresh for work Monday morning. Obviously the Chargers agree that they can still maintain most of their market in SD.

I'm saying the distance they move doesn't mean anything, it's the name they use. Los Angeles, that's angers a lot of San Diego fans. The fact that not only are they going to a hated city ADDED to the fact they're teaming up with their most hated rival, is what essentially nukes most of the franchise.

New York technically plays in New Jersey. How much shit would they get if they called themselves the New Jersey Giants/Jets instead? What do Rangers fans do if they moved out of Madison Square Garden to Jersey? Its a real quick ride, but it might as well he a different world, because the name is what's important, not the distance.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm saying the distance they move doesn't mean anything, it's the name they use. Los Angeles, that's angers a lot of San Diego fans. The fact that not only are they going to a hated city ADDED to the fact they're teaming up with their most hated rival, is what essentially nukes most of the franchise.

New York technically plays in New Jersey. How much crap would they get if they called themselves the New Jersey Giants/Jets instead? What do Rangers fans do if they moved out of Madison Square Garden to Jersey? Its a real quick ride, but it might as well he a different world, because the name is what's important, not the distance.

So the alternative is no football? Residents of SD are that short sighted? Doesn't make sense to me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So the alternative is no football? Residents of SD are that short sighted? Doesn't make sense to me.

Isn't that what a lot of St Louis fans claim? Rams or nothing? That would be short sighted too, but that's how fandom works, its not typically logical.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris

New York technically plays in New Jersey. How much crap would they get if they called themselves the New Jersey Giants/Jets instead? What do Rangers fans do if they moved out of Madison Square Garden to Jersey? Its a real quick ride, but it might as well he a different world, because the name is what's important, not the distance.
The name could be the San Diego Chargers [of Carson City, if you want to add that]. Problem solved. If the New Jersey Giants can call themselves the NY Giants, then the Carson City Chargers can call themselves the San Diego Chargers.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Isn't that what a lot of St Louis fans claim? Rams or nothing? That would be short sighted too, but that's how fandom works, its not typically logical.
I don't think there are many people saying Rams or nothing right now. I think there is a heavy desire to keep the Rams...I think the St. Louis Raiders would be very welcomed compared to the St. Louis Nothings.

Likewise, if the Rams moved to Cape Girardeau Missouri I'd make the trek and continue being a fan...moving across the country changes that I think.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Actually every person I've ever talked to outside of this site just wants a team to root for. That's why I have a hard time believing that SD residents would be that furious about it. Would they rather they moved here?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

I am confused on one hand you say it is teaming with the raiders that kills them, on the other you keep arguing that SD fans can't stand the idea of the team in LA - but you earlier threw out the scenario of him sharing a stadium with the rams in LA. It seems like you generally see them in LA anyway, so it just becomes a question who they are paired with right?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just got the joint statement from the Chargers and Raiders in my email; posted at 6:55 PST, or about one hour ago. In my mind, this has been a horrible year for the NFL, from domestic violence to Adrian Peterson to Deflategate - on and on. Clearly LA is a major problem/opportunity for the League; but the Raiders and the Chargers have been long-term problems; St. Louis, not (at least in the context of Buffalo, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville...etc., etc.). IF the Chargers and the Rams went to LA, the League would still have the Raider problem. It could be improved by moving the Raiders to a new stadium in St. Louis, I guess; but that would uproot 3 teams, not 2. Why? And, as the Chargers point out, some 30% of their fan base is already from LA or Orange County; if they didn't move, the new LA franchise would have to pay them major reparations. Plus, without that 30% of the fan base, the Chargers would inevitably be a damaged franchise.

It's getting interesting....
Care to post that email? Never mind. I've been away from my puter for a while.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Actually every person I've ever talked to outside of this site just wants a team to root for. That's why I have a hard time believing that SD residents would be that furious about it. Would they rather they moved here?

I've seen plenty that claim they wouldn't root for the Rams if the left, changing to another team if they were to move there after would be different, because there is a new team. I'm talking about sticking with the team if they left to rival city.

I am confused on one hand you say it is teaming with the raiders that kills them, on the other you keep arguing that SD fans can't stand the idea of the team in LA - but you earlier threw out the scenario of him sharing a stadium with the rams in LA. It seems like you generally see them in LA anyway, so it just becomes a question who they are paired with right?

I think that a move is stressful for any fan base, especially when its to a rival city. The fact that they're teaming up with another rival makes it that much worse, and does that much more damage to the existing fans.

A big rival city for St Louis is Chicago, correct? So imagine the Bears don't exist, and the Rams were to move there, a lot of fans would be pissed about the move in general, then more pissed, because it's Chicago of all places, it's some salt in the wound. Now imagine that the 49ers (or Patriots, or whatever team you hate most) are teaming up with the Rams to move there too, and in fact the only way it can potentially work is if they both split the cost. That is just an extra big fuck you on top of it, not only are they leaving, they're going to a rival city you hate, and they're getting into bed with the team you hate most to do it. It scorns the fans 3 different times, short of an announcement that everyone in the d city sucks and they hate them, I'm not sure what else you can do to scorn a fan base.

I mean the fact two rival teams are discussing building a stadium together is an insane idea, if we saw it in a movie we'd dismiss it as impossible.

That's why moving with the Raiders is that extra middle finger to the fans. They would still be pissed if they moved along with the Rams, but at least it's not the Raiders. That's the general consensus I'm hearing from fans. Even Charger fans in LA are discussing turning their backs due to conducting business with the Raiders.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Raiders are still L.A.&#39;s de facto team and the Chargers claim 25% of their fan base is in L.A. so it&#39;s a partnership that makes sense.</p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/568613843196370944
">February 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Huh? Yeah - I think not.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
At least the Raiders and Chargers are putting out statements regarding possible relocation. The Rams haven't said crap, and don't give me "they speak with their actions" crap. All we get are reports from the media and a statement from Stockbridge Capital Group.
And it would be cool if all along it was Stan pulling the leverage move while SD and Oakland were working on something. One thing though, screw this whole thing of moving divisions. I want them to stay in the same division as the shitchickens so I can go a few hours and see them. That is my only egg to fry here really.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'm talking about sticking with the team if they left to rival city.
I think that a move is stressful for any fan base, especially when its to a rival city. The fact that they're teaming up with another rival makes it that much worse, and does that much more damage to the existing fans.
I'm not sure what else you can do to scorn a fan base.
That's why moving with the Raiders is that extra middle finger to the fans. .

I just don't see it as anywhere near the same, or even traumatic. The rival city is 121 miles away (I know you see that as much more of a problem than I do), the owners have to share the stadium not the fans, and a chunk of your fan base is already there. What else can you do to scorn a fan base? Express no interest in staying and attempt to move 1800 miles away. Hold fan love fests on national TV with another city 1800 miles away. I have no sympathy whatsoever for SD fans if they can't see this. They're going to get off lucky. If the Rams and Bears each moved halfway between the cities, and built a joint stadium I would be ecstatic. If Chicago was within 150 miles of STL and they built a joint stadium in Chicago, I'd be happy. If I had to team up with the biggest rival I've ever had to keep my team within driving distance, I would do it. Because the alternative is being left with jack shit.

And this goes double for SD because they actually aren't making much of an effort to keep them.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It seems odd that no one knew that supposedly the Raiders and Chargers previously bought the property. It also seems odd that they would have bought the property and still say, but if you all in SD and Oak are so kind as to build us a stadium, we will forgo this massive undertaking. IMO - it is either a last ditch effort to use the LA market as leverage before that leverage goes away, or a move that gets them both the stadium and market they have looked at for some time OR...... they have been in cahoots with the NFL and Stan all along to get all three of them what they are after. What y'all think? Maybe Stan has wanted to stay in St Louis the whole time and the billionaire club put this together to troll all the cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.