Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, there is help out there, they just have to prioritize it. In the past they haven't, now they have to.

I will make a prediction that the Rams will have a better DL in 2 yrs than they have had over the last 5 with Donald. They just relied on Donald to do everything, now they can't. So I expect multiple Kobie Turner caliber DL that will make our front a top 10 DL or better.
One interesting thing will be that they can showcase other's talents now in a way they haven't on the Dline. Obviously, the line is superior with Donald but all interior rushers and even edge guys were set up to rush off of what Donald was doing. We may see a little more varied use of the interior players, different rush strategies now to take advantage of players talents that were subsumed by focusing on how to rush off of Donald's actions.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I thought Anchrum was a FA?

Yeah, I missed the OTs in this one.
He's listed on the roster.
He lost the one season to injury, so he's still under contract. That's my understanding of the situation, anyway. But, yes, he's on the roster.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He lost the one season to injury, so he's still under contract. That's my understanding of the situation, anyway. But, yes, he's on the roster.
That injury occurred in a game, unless I am forgetting about earlier one before the season. OTC lists him as a FA with 4 yrs in.

1000003296.jpg

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Spotrac also lists him as an UFA. Regardless, I don't see quality depth at OG even if they re-sign him. Maybe they add a camp cut of a decent vet for this year or they add a guy that can develop and take over from Jackson in 3 yrs.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Most of the Rams' unrestricted free agents are still listed on the roster of the Rams' official team site.

I see Hopkins, Witherspoon, Reeder and others. Not Fuller and Shelton who have signed elsewhere.

At this point in the off-season, a better source for players under contract are the cap sites. Even if not updated for contract numbers/detail, the players under contract are listed.

Anchrum is a free agent.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Only did a quick 3 rounder, but this draft goes a long way towards improving the defense and is pretty realistic IMO. I think Sweat goes a long way towards helping fill the void left by AD. He is a much more nimble guy then his size suggests.

Attachments

• pff_mock_results.png
    pff_mock_results.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 30

WestCoastRam

Legend
Only did a quick 3 rounder, but this draft goes a long way towards improving the defense and is pretty realistic IMO. I think Sweat goes a long way towards helping fill the void left by AD. He is a much more nimble guy then his size suggests.
I mean, that draft would be unbelievable. But yeah, I think Sweat prob gone by then.

It does seem like there could be a good interior defender available at our 2nd round pick if we stay there though. Would love if we could come away with a top edge and IDL with first two picks but obviously depends on who they are.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think Sweat is gone by then? I've seen a lot of suggestions he's a late 2-3rd rounder due to size and potentially not being on the field as much. Fiske was there during that mock, but thought that was far fetched. IMO, this is fairly realistic to who may be available at these picks. I'd be over the moon with this draft. McVay even gets a weapon.

WestCoastRam

Legend
You think Sweat is gone by then? I've seen a lot of suggestions he's a late 2-3rd rounder due to size and potentially not being on the field as much. Fiske was there during that mock, but thought that was far fetched. IMO, this is fairly realistic to who may be available at these picks. I'd be over the moon with this draft. McVay even gets a weapon.
Yeah, I think it's likely but not guaranteed. That being said, I think there will be a good DT there then, just depends on the flavor of DT teams want beforehand. Think they'll be a run on guys between 25-50 in this draft. Hall might be there if Sweat isn't. Sweat there if Hall isn't. Jenkins from Mich maybe there in all scenarios.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
That's my dream ...... Latu & Sweat

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, there is help out there, they just have to prioritize it. In the past they haven't, now they have to.

I will make a prediction that the Rams will have a better DL in 2 yrs than they have had over the last 5 with Donald. They just relied on Donald to do everything, now they can't. So I expect multiple Kobie Turner caliber DL that will make our front a top 10 DL or better.
Certainly possible. I am hoping that's exactly what they do.

They need to inject talent into the DL room this year due to AD's departure. I think they need a starter from this draft. And even after that probably another rotational piece, though they might sign someone like SJD for that. Turner slides into the 3T role so the need is a NT or 5T, or someone versatile who can do either. I think Fiske is a really nice fit for what we need, because if you add Newton or Murphy you're adding more of what we have. Fiske is a powerhouse in there and has nice length for that 5T role, not ideal but certainly good enough.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Much higher on Sweat then either of those guys, so I'll just have to be crossing my fingers.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I think the Rams would have to trade up from 52 to get him .... I'm thinking bottom of the first round.

I've seen him mocked as high as 24

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Sweat making the first round. He's too big and specialized as a NT vs a power look. If you were to start him every game on defense and rely on him teams like SF would just run more zone when they play you and stretch big holes next to him due to his lack of movement.

I like the power he has no doubt. But I don't think he's going to stack up well vs some of these other guys. He's a round 2 type I expect.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Sweat making the first round. He's too big and specialized as a NT vs a power look. If you were to start him every game on defense and rely on him teams like SF would just run more zone when they play you and stretch big holes next to him due to his lack of movement.

I like the power he has no doubt. But I don't think he's going to stack up well vs some of these other guys. He's a round 2 type I expect.
I agree with this. Personally, I like him more then Jordan Davis coming out, who went #13. I think Davis is the reason Sweat falls to the 2nd as Davis hasn't worked out great (so far).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with this. Personally, I like him more then Jordan Davis coming out, who went #13. I think Davis is the reason Sweat falls to the 2nd as Davis hasn't worked out great (so far).
Possible that affects things. I do think team approach is affected by previous draft results.

The heavy zone usage that infected the league was trending defenses towards DL who could move laterally and stay on their feet, given that falling down vs a zone run attack is a catastrophe. So way I see it at least that favored certain types of DL succeeding. But with McVay opting for power there's a chance that trend is followed (he is not the first but he is a heavy influencer of league trends) by a lot of other teams and guys like Sweat gain some value.

In other words I'm not totally sure about my hypothesis but we'll see. We could use a big snot bubbler NT of course. But that role is sort of specialized for us I think if you're talking an immovable object. Moreso appropriate to take a guy like that a few rounds down. For the first round you want a mover on the interior, someone who can anchor well or penetrate occasionally to give you wins on snaps.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That injury occurred in a game, unless I am forgetting about earlier one before the season. OTC lists him as a FA with 4 yrs in.

View attachment 64841
As I said, he’s listed on Rams roster at this time.
But others have pointed out I’m wrong here.. and I spaced on thinking it was similar to Akers.