MMQB: Peter King - 9/14/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts. To read the entire article click the link below.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/13/nfl-week-1-marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans

‘This Was a Pretty Big Deal’
Week 1 is nearly in the books; the brightest star might have been Marcus Mariota, who announced his arrival in a huge way against fellow rookie Jameis Winston. (Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt pumps the hype brakes a bit.) Plus notes on Rex Ryan, Tony Romo and more from a wild first Sunday
by Peter King

Seattle has lost two games in a row—the Super Bowl and Sunday’s overtime loss at St. Louis. In February, with Seattle one yard from a game-winning touchdown, undrafted free-agent rookie Malcolm Butler intercepted Russell Wilson with 20 seconds left to win the game for New England. On Sunday, with Seattle up by seven with 59 seconds to play, undrafted second-year safety Dion Bailey slipped in coverage and let tight end Lance Kendricks get by him for a 37-yard touchdown to tie the game. The Rams won in overtime.

Plays of the game, two games in a row, made or not made by players who weren’t deemed good enough to be drafted, who came off the street to make teams and play huge roles in games at the highest level of the biggest sport in America. And it happens everywhere. Lance Dunbar, the former undrafted free agent in Dallas, with 40 yards worth of catches on that final crazy drive Sunday night. The games are so close, and they’re sometimes decided by the craziest of breaks, and human foibles, and mind-boggling decisions.

That’s a big reason, collectively, why America keeps coming back for more, no matter how fist-shaking angry it gets at the commissioner or the owners or players who mess up.

dion-bailey-lance-kendricks.jpg

Dion Bailey could only watch as Rams tight end Lance Kendricks scored the game-tying TD. (L.G. Patterson/AP)

Without Chancellor, Seahawks Slip
The MMQB’s Robert Klemko was in St. Louis Sunday and filed this about the backup for holdout strong safety Kam Chancellor…

Seattle safety Dion Bailey looked up from his hands and knees to confirm what he already knew. After he’d tripped and stumbled to the turf, Rams tight end Lance Kendricks caught Nick Foles’ lob and took it to the house, a 37-yard touchdown that sent the season opener into an overtime the Seahawks would lose. Outside of injury, it was quite possibly a worst-case scenario for Bailey in his first game as a starter while Chancellor continues his holdout for a restructured contract.

Dejected, Bailey sat upright in his locker, located between Richard Sherman’s and Earl Thomas’s, in the visitor’s dressing room at the Edwards Jones Dome. He draped several towels over his head and closed his eyes. He felt as though he’d not only lost the game, but tarnished his family name. “I’ve got to go 100% on my opportunities,” Bailey said quietly while teammates dressed. “I missed a big one today. I’ve got to learn from it and represent my family name better next week. The play didn’t surprise me or anything. I promise you it will never happen again.”

Bailey knows as well as anybody that there may not be a next week for him, and his performance may even have hastened that prospect. The Rams demonstrated how much Seattle’s defense needs Chancellor if it is to achieve its 2014 form; Nick Foles went 18 for 27 for 297 yards and that late, game-tying touchdown in his first start for the Rams.

That wasn’t all Bailey’s fault, or even mostly Bailey’s fault. And that’s what teammates told him, one-by-one, in quiet visits to his locker after the game. The majority of the room had watched him earn a special teams role as an undrafted rookie in 2014 before shredding his ankle last August. The Seahawks waived him only to add him to the practice squad later in the 2014 season. They re-signed the 23-year-old the day after Super Bowl XLIX. Pete Carroll recruited Bailey to USC in 2010 before agreeing to coach the Seahawks that season. More than five years after he signed a letter of intent to play for Carroll, he finally got the opportunity to do so.

“The hard part is seeing all the trust the guys instilled in me,” Bailey said. “Guys let me know not to put the game on myself because a lot of people made mistakes. I will be better next week.”

DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

Aaron Donald, defensive tackle, St. Louis. If you didn’t consider Donald to have already broken out after a great rookie year in 2014, welcome to his breakout season. He was tremendous Sunday, chasing Russell Wilson all over the Edward Jones Dome, sacking Wilson twice, totaling nine tackles, pressuring Wilson twice more and recording three tackles for loss … including the tackle that clinched the game, corralling Marshawn Lynch with Michael Brockers for a loss of one on fourth-and-one in St. Louis territory in overtime. Donald is listed as a defensive tackle, but he could play defensive end in a 3-4 or 4-3 if you ask me.

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

mmqb-austin-tavon.jpg

Tavon Austin (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

Tavon Austin, wide receiver/returner/running back, St. Louis. This was the kind of game the Rams expected when they drafted Austin eigth overall in 2013. His 16-yard touchdown run as a lone back in the second quarter flummoxed the Seahawks, and his 75-yard punt return in the third quarter gave the Rams the biggest lead (11 points) that either team had all day. Could this be the year Austin breaks out, at long last?

GOAT OF THE WEEK

Steven Hauschka, kicker, Seattle. The play at the start of overtime in St. Louis looked absurd: Hauschka seeming to onside-kick, and the Rams recovering at midfield. What in the world was that? Turns out it was supposed to be a pooch kick, booted sky-high to land at the 25 or 30, so either the Seahawks would have a fighting chance to win a jump ball for it (or capture a bouncer), or the ball would be recovered and not returned. Hauschka simply blew it, and that created a stupidly short drive (six plays, 30 yards) to the Rams field goal that turned out to be the game-winner.

What I liked

Great play design by St. Louis offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, putting Tavon Austin as a lone back behind the quarterback and simply handing it to him.

Second-chance safety Mark Barron’s blitz and sack of Russell Wilson on a first-half third down, leading to a Seattle punt.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Donald/Brockers were outstanding yesterday. Seattle didn't do much on offense when they weren't running the no huddle/up tempo stuff. Rams are going to need to address that.
One word to describe this one. Gut check.
Bathing in this win is going to make for an awesome week.

fearsomefour

Legend
Donald/Brockers were outstanding yesterday. Seattle didn't do much on offense when they weren't running the no huddle/up tempo stuff. Rams are going to need to address that.
One word to describe this one. Gut check.
Bathing in this win is going to make for an awesome week.
After that horrible first possession followed by a that punt return TD, the offense had a gut check drive for sure. Going 80 yards and scoring a TD. That changed everything and gave them a chance.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Seattle safety Dion Bailey looked up from his hands and knees to confirm what he already knew. After he’d tripped and stumbled to the turf, Rams tight end Lance Kendricks caught Nick Foles’ lob and took it to the house, a 37-yard touchdown that sent the season opener into an overtime the Seahawks would lose. Outside of injury, it was quite possibly a worst-case scenario for Bailey in his first game as a starter while Chancellor continues his holdout for a restructured contract.

Dejected, Bailey sat upright in his locker, located between Richard Sherman’s and Earl Thomas’s, in the visitor’s dressing room at the Edwards Jones Dome. He draped several towels over his head and closed his eyes. He felt as though he’d not only lost the game, but tarnished his family name. “I’ve got to go 100% on my opportunities,” Bailey said quietly while teammates dressed. “I missed a big one today. I’ve got to learn from it and represent my family name better next week. The play didn’t surprise me or anything. I promise you it will never happen again.”

Bailey knows as well as anybody that there may not be a next week for him, and his performance may even have hastened that prospect. The Rams demonstrated how much Seattle’s defense needs Chancellor if it is to achieve its 2014 form; Nick Foles went 18 for 27 for 297 yards and that late, game-tying touchdown in his first start for the Rams.

That wasn’t all Bailey’s fault, or even mostly Bailey’s fault. And that’s what teammates told him, one-by-one, in quiet visits to his locker after the game. The majority of the room had watched him earn a special teams role as an undrafted rookie in 2014 before shredding his ankle last August. The Seahawks waived him only to add him to the practice squad later in the 2014 season. They re-signed the 23-year-old the day after Super Bowl XLIX. Pete Carroll recruited Bailey to USC in 2010 before agreeing to coach the Seahawks that season. More than five years after he signed a letter of intent to play for Carroll, he finally got the opportunity to do so.

“The hard part is seeing all the trust the guys instilled in me,” Bailey said. “Guys let me know not to put the game on myself because a lot of people made mistakes. I will be better next week.”
I like Peter King but this thing about Bailey falling being the only reason the Rams were able to pull it off is misleading. Kendricks beat Bailey off the line. Bailey has not chance even if he doesn't fall. Bailey's only shot at stopping the play is defensive holding because Kendricks was by him in a hurry. Check the video out.
View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Nick-Foles-to-Lance-Kendricks-for-a-37-Yard-TD/48c2200b-c7c9-4054-ad29-7f024409616b

FRO

Legend
I like Peter King but this thing about Bailey falling being the only reason the Rams were able to pull it off is misleading. Kendricks beat Bailey off the line. Bailey has not chance even if he doesn't fall. Bailey's only shot at stopping the play is defensive holding because Kendricks was by him in a hurry. Check the video out.
View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Nick-Foles-to-Lance-Kendricks-for-a-37-Yard-TD/48c2200b-c7c9-4054-ad29-7f024409616b
While Kendricks beat him cleanly the ball hung for a second. Had he not fallen down he may have been able to make a play on the ball.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
While Kendricks beat him cleanly the ball hung for a second. Had he not fallen down he may have been able to make a play on the ball.
True but as someone else pointed out elsewhere, the key is the match up. Great job by Cignetti to isolate the big TE over there and having him just run right thru the little guy. Shades of what NE does with Gronk creating mismatches. Refreshing to see the coordinator actually use a high priced toy instead of seeing the talent wasted and misused.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup. And between Cook's great game and that Kendricks play, teams are going to have to pay MUCH more attention to the Rams TEs, which means WRs and RBs will have more opportunities.

The plan is coming together :sneaky:

FRO

Legend
Yup. And between Cook's great game and that Kendricks play, teams are going to have to pay MUCH more attention to the Rams TEs, which means WRs and RBs will have more opportunities.

The plan is coming together :sneaky:
I want to see Cookie put a stretch of games together. Guy frustrates me. He has games like this, then goes and does nothing for three weeks. Has all the talent in the world and should be able to have games like this every week. Probowl talent, but super inconsistent.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Excellent video @LazyWinker ...It shows a lack of db skills, he doesn't backpedal, he doesn't turn and run soon enough...He lets Kendricks eat up his cushion...and of course he doesn't flip his hips soon enough...all signs that, in college, Bailey played so much LB, his coverage skills, if he had any to begin with, deteriorated to the point he is a liability. Great for Cig to single him out like that. Stuff you can see from the booth...Saved it for a crucial moment too. Kam needs to send a portion of his contract to the Rams..He'll be at practice this week for sure...Or Aaron Rodgers will eat them alive...

69superbowl

Rookie
Bailey started that play flat footed and gave Kendricks a two stride head start. Poor technique by the young DB. Not a slip. Bad prep. The Oline did a terrific job on that play with 6 rushers (the weakside LB had to cover the RB). All in all a near perfect play for Los Ramos.

rdw

Pro Bowler
King mentioned Kam Chancellor out but didn't mention we're out some players too. How about Quick, Mason and Gurley? Excuses excuses...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
King mentioned Kam Chancellor out but didn't mention we're out some players too. How about Quick, Mason and Gurley? Excuses excuses...

Bruh, I was watching NFL gameday and Marshall Faulk was the only guy talking about the Rams. Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin were just screaming about Kam Chancellor and how he should be paid, but Marshall. Man, he stood up for the team. His team. And what really got me (and proably pissed) is one of the other jokers openly said "you're only saying that because you played for the Rams." Yeah, no shit sherlock. Just like those 2 have a benard for Dallas, Marshall isn't allowed to talk up his former team?

Fuck that. Go Marshall Faulk!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
A lot of the reporting sort of has this flavor....the Rams won but no Chancellor. The Rams out played Seattle for good parts of the game. If we take both punt returns out of it the Rams gave Seattle 10 points off of turnovers, the Foles fumble and the snap snafu that gave the Seahawks the ball inside the Rams 40, an easy 3 points.
The Rams lost the turnover battle (-2) and still won the game. The Rams were better than Seattle for the balance of the game.
End of report.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yeah, no one likes brinking that up. But think how much better our offense will be once Mason, Gurley and Quick are back and Bam Bam is back to returning kicks (not that he had a bad game)