Michael Sam Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
Again, it's because of the duplicity involved.

First, the whole story was that Michael Sam should be evaluated, selected and treated like any other NFL prospective player and not unfairly judged because he happens to be gay. This is fair and what has been asked of the team, fans and press.

This first part is wrong.

After drafting Sam, Fisher said, "In a world of diversity that we live in, I'm honored to be a part of this."

Demoff said, “It was a reminder of the power of the NFL, and how we could use the power for something good.”

Fisher brought in gay activist Wade Davis to address the team and organization on the issue of being gay in the NFL.

So of course it's about football. But it's about more than that, even to the Rams. They've said as much.

As i understand it, the people who say they don't care what Sam does in his private life now care what he does in his private life if it's a documentary for Oprah?

What's next? "I don't care what he does in his private life, but if he's really all about football, why is he in a relationship? It's a distraction..."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As i understand it, the people who say they don't care what Sam does in his private life now care what he does in his private life if it's a documentary for Oprah?
I don't think that's an accurate assessment of the discussion. Nobody cares period. They didn't care before Oprah, and they still don't care after Oprah got involved. What they (might) care about is being inundated with his personal life. I'd be equally as apathetic if I was constantly reminded that David Vobora was in a relationship with Chloe Kardashian, and then it came out that Ryan Seacrest was going to document the whole thing.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

That's my feeling about it as well.

It'd be one thing if the OWN crew was in the locker room after every practice shoving a microphone in teammates faces, but that's never going to happen.

This affects one person, Michael Sam. If his performance on the field isn't up to snuff with his peers, only then does he deserve to be cut. Instead some are treating it like a criminal action worth immediate dismissal.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't think that's an accurate assessment of the discussion. Nobody cares period. They didn't care before Oprah, and they still don't care after Oprah got involved. What they (might) care about is being inundated with his personal life. I'd be equally as apathetic if I was constantly reminded that David Vobora was in a relationship with Chloe Kardashian, and then it came out that Ryan Seacrest was going to document the whole thing.

With all due respect X, I don't see how you can look at some of the reactions and say nobody cares. There are some that are vehemently against Michael Sam being on the team following the recent turn of events post-draft. There are even some on this very forum.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With all due respect X, I don't see how you can look at some of the reactions and say nobody cares. There are some that are vehemently against Michael Sam being on the team following the recent turn of events post-draft. There are even some on this very forum.
Could be. I haven't read every response. I was kind of one of them, in that I feel that if he's being disingenuous with his statement about his time here being "only about football", and a media circus ensues as a result (no guarantee of that, I know), then now would be a good time for them to cut ties - especially if they feel like his chances of making the team are slim to none anyway.

That said, I'm sure Demoff, Fisher, Snead (kinda - he's not very well spoken) & Company can handle the media. I have no worries about that.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't think that would shed a positive light on the franchise. Kind of falls in that 'We like the pick but we're just looking for any reason to wash our hands of this mentality.' JMHO.

I will say that the team has every right to be upset with the league who didn't make this known in advance. Their motives were very clear.

Basically my stance is that:

a.) It's not going to affect the team off the field because the OWN cameras aren't going to be slinking around Rams Park.
b.) It's not going to affect the team on the field because Sam is likely going to be playing alongside third stringers for the majority of the time unless he shines, which would invalidate all of the personal distraction talk anyway and be a good thing.
c.) I don't think he has a very good chance of making the team because of his skillset and our depth, so I'm certainly not going to be shedding a tear if he gets cut loose prior to the season.

The only way I see any of this hurting the team is if he's kept on the squad because of his sexuality, rather than performance) and fear of the backlash, but I have the utmost confidence that our front office is smart enough not to do this.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think that would shed a positive light on the franchise. Kind of falls in that 'We like the pick but we're just looking for any reason to wash our hands of this mentality.' JMHO.

I will say that the team has every right to be upset with the league who didn't make this known in advance. Their motives were very clear.

Basically my stance is that:

a.) It's not going to affect the team off the field because the OWN cameras aren't going to be slinking around Rams Park.
b.) It's not going to affect the team on the field because Sam is likely going to be playing alongside third stringers for the majority of the time unless he shines, which would invalidate all of the personal distraction talk anyway and be a good thing.
c.) I don't think he has a very good chance of making the team because of his skillset and our depth, so I'm certainly not going to be shedding a tear if he gets cut loose prior to the season.

The only way I see any of this hurting the team is if he's kept on the squad because of his sexuality, rather than performance) and fear of the backlash, but I have the utmost confidence that our front office is smart enough not to do this.
Agree with all that. But. *IF* they did cut him loose under the premise that they're just looking to get out from underneath all of the unwanted media attention (predicated on Sam's non-disclosure of his intents to parlay this success into a story of his personal life), then I wouldn't blame them or fault them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

We do not allow political and religious debates here at ROD, and for good reason. They cause division and contribute to a poisonous, toxic, negative atmosphere which causes some members to stay away and others not to join.

The Michael Sam situation is being allowed for the time being because it is interesting to many members and involves a drafted Rams player. But it also crosses over into societal, political, and religious beliefs which causes this topic to be a potential hot-potato.

Therefore, from now on any post that insinuates or implies bigotry against a ROD member or a phantom unnamed group of ROD members will be deleted.

A55VA6

Legend
BnxsaEFIcAAWjfC.jpg:large

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
And I think you have been critical of their motives when you only imagine what they are,and that's the rub,you don't ,but far be it of any of us to point it out to ya the fall off that soap box is more painful than you might think.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
@jthom1: NFL says it was not aware an agreement was in place between Michael Sam and the Oprah Winfrey Network for docu-series until after draft.

Well, who is telling the truth here? Sam's agent told Burwell yesterday that they made the NLF aware of the OWN deal. Not good.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If you want to ignore the possible motivation behind the 'cut him' reactions, that's your prerogative.

We've been urged to move on from the social aspects of the discussion. What do you say we move on, eh?

bluecoconuts

Legend
@jthom1: NFL says it was not aware an agreement was in place between Michael Sam and the Oprah Winfrey Network for docu-series until after draft.

Well, who is telling the truth here? Sam's agent told Burwell yesterday that they made the NLF aware of the OWN deal. Not good.

At this point who cares? What's done is done.

If he's too distracted by cameras to focus on football, he wont make the team
If he's not good for the team, and doesn't offer enough on the field, he wont make the team
If he's just not good enough to beat anyone else out, he wont make the team
If he's good enough then he will make the team

He's forged his own path by his own will, whatever happens happens. I still root for him to do well because that's better for our team. There's no point in trying to look for reasons to make him into a bad guy or anything other than what he is. A 7th round draft pick and longshot to make the team.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If you want to ignore the possible motivation behind the 'cut him' reactions, that's your prerogative.

We've been urged to move on from the social aspects of the discussion. What do you say we move on, eh?

My view is that if he isn't all about football Sam will cut himself.