Memento's Offseason of Holiday Cheer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Welcome, everyone! Let's get on with the show, shall we?

FIRE:

Brian Schottenheimer, offensive coordinator

I really don't think that this is a surprise, given that he's failed to utilize his weapons, hasn't adjusted to opposing defenses, and - in all honesty - I think we have to do better than what we showed Thursday night.

HIRE:

Tom Herman, offensive coordinator

The Ohio State offensive coordinator is fantastic with quarterbacks, and knows how to get the most out of his skill position players.

RESTRUCTURE:

Sam Bradford

Hate putting all of our eggs in one basket again...but I doubt that we're getting Mariota, and none of the other quarterbacks interest me. So we go with what we know.

CUT:

Scott Wells
Jake Long
Kendall Langford
Eugene Sims
Isaiah Pead

No real surprises. I hate getting rid of Langford, but I promise that his replacement will be worth it. As for Sims, I think that after a year, Ethan Westbrooks can adequately take his place as the fourth DE.

RESIGN:

Kenny Britt
Lance Kendricks
Cory Harkey
Rodney McLeod
Shaun Hill

No real surprises...but I think Barksdale is gone. I don't want to overpay for his services, and while he is a great run-blocker, he leaves much to be desired against 3-4 linebackers and speed rushers. Aside from that, the cap that we save allows us to do this:

SIGN:

Stefen Wiesniewski, center

This has to be a priority signing. He replaces Wells, gives us flexibility in the draft, and he's only twenty-six.

TRADES:

(Credit goes to Jrry for creating the basis for this trade) Rams 2015 first round pick for Panthers 2015 second round pick, 2015 fifth round pick, and 2016 first round pick.

(This is mine, though.) Rodney McLeod to the Eagles for 2015 fourth round pick.

Well, the quarterbacks and top tier players are gone, so what do we do? Trade out of the first round and get a shot at our franchise quarterback in the next draft. And we get a high second round pick out of it. As for McLeod, the Eagles safeties are terrible. We have Joyner waiting in the wings as our free safety (a position that is probably better for him), so why not use a valuable asset?

DRAFT:

2nd round (Panthers): Ty Sambrailo, OG/OT, Colorado State.

2nd round: Spencer Drango OT/OG, Baylor.

3rd round: Gabe Wright, DT, Auburn.

4th round (Eagles): Dres Anderson, WR, Utah.

5th round (Panthers): Joey Mbu, DT, Houston.

5th round: Josh Shaw, CB, USC.

7th round: A.J. Derby, TE, Arkansas.

Sambrailo and Drango are pretty much interchangeable in terms of their position; the best man wins the RT job, while the other gets shifted to left guard. Wright is a talented defensive tackle who finds his way into the backfield more often than not, while Mbu is a bigger guy who can stuff the run. Anderson is a deep threat and the son of our very own Flipper Anderson. Shaw is a second-round talent with character concerns that drop him here. Derby is a wild-card: a former quarterback-turned-tight end. I know that he's in the fifth round of jrry's mock, but right now, he isn't even listed as a prospect on CBS, and I can't find him anywhere really, even though he has a ton of potential.

As always, leave a post if you have something to say. Happy holidays to all!

Athos

Legend
As much as I want BS gone......

I think the chances of that are 0% with Bradford coming back. They just won't throw a new O philosophy at him again. Next season is the last gasp for Sam as a Ram.

As for the trade....I just don't like trading down that far and missing out on all that premium 1st round talent. That said, if that 1st nets us say, Connor Cook in 2016, okay.

Baylor lineman make me queasy for some reason. :sick::whistle:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Nice work.

I do see how the Rams could move down and load up on picks to fix the Oline, but IMO, the trades listed are a pipe dream. Especially the McCleod trade.

Unless I'm mistaken, you've been riding the Sambrailo & Drango bandwagons for some time now. While I know it's wrong, I'm beginning to become leery with Baylor Olinemen (Drango). I keep reading how Broyles system makes things easier for them to succeed. And I'd rather not start two rookies unless the offensive scheme were simplified.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice work.

I do see how the Rams could move down and load up on picks to fix the Oline, but IMO, the trades listed are a pipe dream. Especially the McCleod trade.

Unless I'm mistaken, you've been riding the Sambrailo & Drango bandwagons for some time now. While I know it's wrong, I'm beginning to become leery with Baylor Olinemen (Drango). I keep reading how Broyles system makes things easier for them to succeed. And I'd rather not start two rookies unless the offensive scheme were simplified.

I have to politely disagree on the McLeod trade. The Eagles pass defense is one of the worst in the NFL, and the main problems are the safeties. McLeod is easily better than anyone they have.

And yeah, I've been riding their bandwagon. I just love Sambrailo's mean streak to go along with his talent, and Drango's one of the better offensive linemen in this class. The only issue with him was his back, and he's healthy now. If we avoided every guy because of their collegiate offensive scheme, then we wouldn't have Robinson. And I have faith in Boudreau to coach them up.

As much as I want BS gone......

I think the chances of that are 0% with Bradford coming back. They just won't throw a new O philosophy at him again. Next season is the last gasp for Sam as a Ram.

As for the trade....I just don't like trading down that far and missing out on all that premium 1st round talent. That said, if that 1st nets us say, Connor Cook in 2016, okay.

Baylor lineman make me queasy for some reason. :sick::whistle:

I think that the scheme itself is going to be similar with Herman as OC. And like you said, if the first next year helps us get that franchise quarterback, then it will have been worth it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I have to politely disagree on the McLeod trade. The Eagles pass defense is one of the worst in the NFL, and the main problems are the safeties. McLeod is easily better than anyone they have.

So you really believe the Eagles would be willing to deal a 4th rounder for someone you believe the Rams should replace? Wouldn't they have other and/or better options?

Memento

Name
Jemma
So you really believe the Eagles would be willing to deal a 4th rounder for someone you believe the Rams should replace? Wouldn't they have other and/or better options?

I don't necessarily believe that the Rams should replace McLeod. He's a good starter and an even better special teams player. The thing of it is, I believe that Joyner brings the same skill-set to the table, and we have a bunch of safeties as it is (McDonald, Barron, McLeod, Alexander, Davis, and Joyner, if he moves). The Eagles are in desperate need of help at safety, and we have an abundance of them.

Memento

Name
Jemma
A weapon/offensive lineman for Cam Newton. Think Cedric Ogbuehi, La'el Collins, Devante Parker, or Melvin Gordon.

They can't get an OL or weapon in their original spot and retain a first round pick, which I'm sure they value just as highly as we do? What in Carolina's history suggests they're a team that makes trades? I suppose I just oppose the concept of projecting trades this far out in general without a clear plan as to why that team is trading up.

Memento

Name
Jemma
They can't get an OL or weapon in their original spot and retain a first round pick, which I'm sure they value just as highly as we do? What in Carolina's history suggests they're a team that makes trades? I suppose I just oppose the concept of projecting trades this far out in general without a clear plan as to why that team is trading up.

Rivera and Gettleman are both on the hot seat, and they really need help on their offense. Their running backs are always hurt or ineffective, Benjamin and an aging Olsen are the only receiving options, and their offensive line has been in tatters ever since Gross retired. They need players who can come in and start for them immediately.

Rivera and Gettleman are both on the hot seat, and they really need help on their offense. Their running backs are always hurt or ineffective, Benjamin and an aging Olsen are the only receiving options, and their offensive line has been in tatters ever since Gross retired. They need players who can come in and start for them immediately.

And the owner is going to allow them to trade away the future to help a guy he's already contemplating firing, thus making it harder to attract a top HC a year down the line?

Memento

Name
Jemma
And the owner is going to allow them to trade away the future to help a guy he's already contemplating firing, thus making it harder to attract a top HC a year down the line?

One future pick. And if they get two impact players in the first round who can help them get back on top in a very weak NFC South division, then the trade is already a win for them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, I think Sambrailo is under-powered for what we want to do. Great mean streak but he's not a blow you off the LOS type of guy.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Eh, I think Sambrailo is under-powered for what we want to do. Great mean streak but he's not a blow you off the LOS type of guy.

I still like him in our system. I'll always take a guy with his mean streak, and he's a good athlete.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still like him in our system. I'll always take a guy with his mean streak, and he's a good athlete.

Mean streak is great but you gotta be able to move guys off the LOS onto their ass. I'm not sure that'll be Sambrailo's game in the NFL.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Mean streak is great but you gotta be able to move guys off the LOS onto their ass. I'm not sure that'll be Sambrailo's game in the NFL.

Pretty sure that he can add strength in an NFL training room and learn technique from Boudreau. Harvey Dahl lasted a long time in the league with his mean streak alone, and Sambrailo's a much better athlete and prospect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sure that he can add strength in an NFL training room and learn technique from Boudreau. Harvey Dahl lasted a long time in the league with his mean streak alone, and Sambrailo's a much better athlete and prospect.

Yea but you gotta keep in mind who you're passing on too. ;)

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yea but you gotta keep in mind who you're passing on too. ;)

Who says that Cann is still there? Remember that pure guards like Warmack and Cooper went in the top ten, and Warford (forgive me for beating my own drum) is probably better than them. If Cann's as good as you say he is, I think he goes first round, even though he is a pure guard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who says that Cann is still there? Remember that pure guards like Warmack and Cooper went in the top ten, and Warford (forgive me for beating my own drum) is probably better than them. If Cann's as good as you say he is, I think he goes first round, even though he is a pure guard.

Some of the same reasons Warford lasted...pure OG that won't have great measurables.

Plus, he has a bunch of potential OG converts at OT that could go in front of him.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Some of the same reasons Warford lasted...pure OG that won't have great measurables.

Plus, he has a bunch of potential OG converts at OT that could go in front of him.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

With that said, I am interested in your thoughts on the other picks.