Marvin Lewis and the wrath of the little people

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
In the pc society in which we live, Marvin should have known that certain terms of derision will cause a backlash.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ologizes-for-calling-johnny-manziel-a-midget/

Marvin Lewis apologizes for calling Johnny Manziel a “midget”
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 9, 2014

marvin-lewis.jpg
Getty Images

Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis called Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel a “midget” in a radio interview Monday when asked if the Browns quarterback decision would affect how the Bengals prepared for this week’s game in Cleveland.

It didn’t take long for Lewis to offer up an apology for the statement.

According to Paul Dehner Jr. of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Lewis issued an apology Monday night for the comment.

“I apologize to Johnny and the Browns and all the fans in Cleveland,” Lewis said. “It was just a poor remark. I really didn’t mean anything by it.”

Lewis answered the question by saying they wouldn’t change their strategy based on which quarterback is expected to play.

“You’ll get a little bit more movement if Manziel’s the quarterback, the thing that they did against Buffalo. But other than that, no, that doesn’t impact you at all. You gotta go defend the offense. You don’t defend the player.”

Lewis paused, then added: “Particularly a midget.”

Lewis was likely just trying to add a moment of levity to the interview and just made a poor choice of words, since the term “midget” is generally considered to be insensitive to people of smaller stature.
--------------------
I can understand why the “little people” would be offended by being associated with Manziel.
--------------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/09/marvin-lewiss-apology-is-lacking/

Marvin Lewis’s apology is lacking
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 9, 2014
de9bc55345a8c5670b2c2b0b5f640a6a.jpeg
AP

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has apologized for referring to Browns quarterback Johnny Manzielas a “midget.” But Lewis apologized to the wrong people.

In his apology, Lewis mentioned Manziel, the Browns and Browns fans. Lewis failed to mention people of short stature, the people who, by extension, Lewis was really insulting.

I do not believe Lewis meant any offense with his choice of words. I do not believe the majority of people who use the word “midget” mean any offense. But the word is, indeed, offensive. Little People of America, a nonprofit organization that provides support for people of short stature, notes that the word has negative connotations and is often used as an insult toward the people with the more than 200 different medical conditions that are commonly referred to as types of dwarfism.

“While we understand that no group can dictate what words are spoken or images are projected, we hope to continue to raise awareness around the dwarfism community and use of the word ‘midget’ – a word that many people of short stature consider a slur and a word closely associated with the public objectification of people of short stature,” Little People of America says.

When I pointed out on Twitter that many short-statured people consider the word offensive, I was besieged by people telling me that I need to lighten up and that the world is too politically correct. Many of those people called me a “midget” and used other slurs as well, to emphasize that they won’t allow anyone to take away their right to slur anyone they please.

But I was also contacted by a few little people, some of whom identified themselves as Bengals fans, who told me that Lewis’s word hurt. One Bengals fan, Christopher Horndt, told me that he was disappointed in Lewis’s word choice but hopes the incident will become an opportunity for people to consider that their words can hurt.

“I am 3’5″ and have a type of dwarfism known as spondylopiphyseal dysplasia congenita,” Horndt told me via email. “In public, I get various reactions, ranging from children staring and shouting excitedly to his or her parents, ‘Look at the midget!’ or the children telling me to my face that I ‘don’t look like a real person.'”

Dave Spradlin was another Bengals fan who contacted me shortly after Lewis made his comment.

“I understand the stares and whatnot I receive on a daily basis (from both adults and children). It happens, I’m different,” Spradlin said. “But when someone, like Marvin did today, takes a word so offensive to a group of people who just want to live a normal life as much as they can, and uses it to try to hurt someone’s feelings or deface them or whatever he wants to call it. It’s straight wrong, unmoral, and ignorant. ‘Midget’ comes from freak shows and carnivals from years ago. It’s time he understood that. I’m a fan of the Bengals, but Marvin just left the most disgusting taste in my mouth.”

This isn’t about taking away anyone’s right to speak. This is about simple human decency, and not using words that offend others. I bet Marvin Lewis has heard slurs that anger him. I bet Lewis would be saddened if he heard his children called a slur. I bet if Lewis had a child with dwarfism, Lewis wouldn’t use the word “midget,” and he’d be infuriated if he heard others use it.

So if you wouldn’t want your own child to be slurred, why would you use a slur toward anyone else? The m-word is a word that all of us should take out of our vocabularies.
-------------
So we have the “F” word, the “N” word, then the “R” word for the team in Washington, now the “M” word? Pretty soon it will be hard to type a sentence without offending somebody. I agree with the F and the N, but after that it’s getting out of hand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Seems to me the appeal for sensitivity at some point morphs into the ability to intimidate

I won't post it but Louis CK has a pretty funny take on the "N " word

ALL THAT SAID ,once again proof that as Tony Kornheiser says if you spend enough time speaking into a microphone / tweeting , putting spontaneous thought out there eventually you are going to stick your foot in your mouth ,which is why I don't have a twitter account don't do Facebook , and try not to text any more than I have to.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There's a dwarf who comes to my work who says that midget is the same as the N word. I don't agree it carries that much weight, but apparently they get pretty offended about it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How about "pituitary challenged"?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Seems to me the appeal for sensitivity at some point morphs into the ability to intimidate

I won't post it but Louis CK has a pretty funny take on the "N " word

ALL THAT SAID ,once again proof that as Tony Kornheiser says if you spend enough time speaking into a microphone / tweeting , putting spontaneous thought out there eventually you are going to stick your foot in your mouth ,which is why I don't have a twitter account don't do Facebook , and try not to text any more than I have to.

Shit TD you're right you don't need any of those things to make an ass outta yerself, you've got ROD.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Shit TD you're right you don't need any of those things to make an ass outta yerself, you've got ROD.

Yeah but your name doesn't go out with it so it stays here ,every day some celebrity , athlete, pol. sends something out into cyberwebz with his or her name on it that they didn't think out thoroughly they can never take back and gets hammered for it .
With my itty bitty life I have less need to be diplomatic , I don't commission popularity polls , sell tickets to concerts, expect people to cheer me when I make some stupendous play, still I'd prefer not to encourage people to think me an idiot, like you say,the folks here at the ROD get my best effort in that regard.

BTW how am I doin on the makin an ass out of myself?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yet dwarf is socially acceptable? Just curious.

LMAO!!!
OH you hadn't heard Disney has changed the name of a movie to : " The Caucasion Feminist and the Seven Vertically Challenged Pillagers of the Earths Minerals "

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Marvin Lewis apologizes for use of word “midget”
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 9, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
marvinlewisyell.jpg
AP
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has apologized again for calling Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel a “midget,” this time acknowledging that the word is inappropriate in any setting.

Lewis initially made the comment in a radio interview on Monday night and thenapologized to Manziel and the Browns for what some saw as an unnecessary insult toward an opponent. But what Lewis didn’t seem to realize, either in his initial comment or in his apology, is that the term he used is considered offensive to people who have medical conditions causing dwarfism.

On Tuesday, Lewis issued another apology, specifically to little people who may have been offended by what he said.

“I’m aware that my comment on local radio last night was offensive to people of short stature and to their families and friends,” Lewis said. “It was thoughtless on my part to use the word I did, and not excusable, and I greatly regret it. I since have read about this issue on the Little People of America website. I understand it better, and as I have apologized to Johnny Manziel and the Cleveland Browns community, I offer the same to all others who I offended, and I pledge that I will learn from this. I hope that my mistake and the resultant publicity may serve at least to help others not make similar insensitive comments in the future.”

Lewis’s mistake was one of ignorance, not of malice. Many people don’t realize that the term offends people of short stature. It’s to Lewis’s credit that once his mistake was pointed out to him, he sought to make amends.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah but your name doesn't go out with it so it stays here ,every day some celebrity , athlete, pol. sends something out into cyberwebz with his or her name on it that they didn't think out thoroughly they can never take back and gets hammered for it .
With my itty bitty life I have less need to be diplomatic , I don't commission popularity polls , sell tickets to concerts, expect people to cheer me when I make some stupendous play, still I'd prefer not to encourage people to think me an idiot, like you say,the folks here at the ROD get my best effort in that regard.

BTW how am I doin on the makin an ass out of myself?

You're a superstar!

But I'm better!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
There's a dwarf who comes to my work who says that midget is the same as the N word. I don't agree it carries that much weight, but apparently they get pretty offended about it.
I don't know why that's offensive. It's not like they're real people.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Poor Marvin once they see you sweat they gotcha, gonna be tofu on the training table for the professionally offended to feast upon

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the little people are just angry because Manziel isn't actually a midget. Just a short QB. He's not one of them.

On the real, though, I thought this was funny. PC Police didn't.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I think the little people are just angry because Manziel isn't actually a midget. Just a short QB. He's not one of them.

Yeah you can say that because you're a statuesque 5ft 4

I was arrested by the PC police once , I said hands up don't shoot, then I remembered ,PC police don't carry guns ,so I said

I don't think I'm gonna let you arrest me today Behan

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A good friend of mine is a dwarf. I call him "Fucker" a lot,,, and he is cool with "that".

He is overly aware of his condition to the point that he makes fun of his stature WAY too much. I wish he wouldn't do that. But I'd play this for his ass right now if he was here at the house...

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

I watched some of the high lites of John Pee Wee football ,he looks like a HS kid out there among the giants ,don't know what weight he's listed at but you'd think just seeing him at the combines people would have known no matter how good his arm is he just doesn't have an NFL body,I'm amazed the Browns are as good as they are with personnel decisions overvaluing people like TR and now JPWF.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
A good friend of mine is a dwarf. I call him "freaker" a lot,,, and he is cool with "that".

He is overly aware of his condition to the point that he makes fun of his stature WAY too much. I wish he wouldn't do that. But I'd play this for his ass right now if he was here at the house...

Yeah I know what you mean about the overcompensating some people do because of unique physical attributes, had a friend / business associate who was a dwarf ,we'd go to lunch waitress would say "table for two?" he'd say " 1 1/2 ".

I have a set of very prominent ears ,other kids and even some adults would call me Dumbo, say if I could flap them I'd be able to fly ,so i taught myself to wiggle them, the Jr High girls would laugh and chat me up all the time when i'd do it. Later in life I would wiggle them at the ladies when they would say "do that again or you just wiggled your ears " I'd say, "oh it's not uncommon for a guy to be able to wiggle his ears, the special part is knowing when" probably my most effective "line".