Mariota, Winston or Hundley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It concerns me that Winston can all this off the field stuff happen BEFORE he has access to millions of dollars. What happens then??

FRO

Legend
It concerns me that Winston can all this off the field stuff happen BEFORE he has access to millions of dollars. What happens then??
That scares the crap out of me. Manziel said he would grow up and change, gets drafted and doesn't change one bit.

As far as on the field stuff goes, I like Winston. There are obvious flaws though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Could this kid simply fall right into the Rams laps?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24858105/nfl-draft-week-14-stock-report

Who hurt themselves?

QB Jameis Winston, Florida State, rSO (6-4 | 235 | 4.83 | #5): On one hand, the second half comebacks and ability for Winston to play his best when the lights are brightest are admirable qualities that appeal to evaluators. But the full story is that a large reason the team is forced to play from behind are because of Winston's mistakes, most notably the interceptions. Against Florida on Saturday, the Florida State passer threw three interceptions in the first quarter and finished with a career-high four interceptions, bringing his season total to 17. Winston is such a natural at the position with the physical skill-set that NFL scouts covet, but the decision-making and willingness to test minute windows are areas he deserves criticism. Since 1994, no quarterback with 30+ interceptions in his final two years in college has been drafted in the top-20 picks. Winston currently has 27 pick-offs in his two-year collegiate career with at least one game left on the schedule, and possibly three.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

No because there are more desperate teams than the Rams...The New York Jets for example and the hometown Tampa Bay Buccaneers....Desperate times call for desperate measures and IMO one of those two teams will pull the trigger on Winston and might save the Rams from themselves.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I haven't been high on Mariota in the past. I have watched him play virtually every game of his college career. Lately, however, he has showed some pretty good poise and a very good arm with several difficult throws. I would still like to see him sit for at least a year before seeing time as a starter. I think he needs to see and learn the NFL pocket better before being asked to be THE guy. But I like his potential to be a pocket passer that can run. Kind of a bigger, better Wilson that doesn't need to flush from the pocket to make plays.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No because there are more desperate teams than the Rams...The New York Jets for example and the hometown Tampa Bay Buccaneers....Desperate times call for desperate measures and IMO one of those two teams will pull the trigger on Winston and might save the Rams from themselves.

But, what if he continues with the INTs? How do you go to your owner with this guy as the face of your franchise with all his off the field crap AND having almost as many INTs as TDs?

FRO

Legend
But, what if he continues with the INTs? How do you go to your owner with this guy as the face of your franchise with all his off the field crap AND having almost as many INTs as TDs?
Why would we want him then either?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Because you tell your owner....We went 2-14 without Winston, we can go 2-14 with him! Seriously though if you believe in him as a Head Coach you should be able to sell the owner because IMO, you've already had that conversation and if he wins another National Title you can say..."He's a Winner." Plus in Tampa & New York, he'll put fannies in the seats!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

You don't.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Because you tell your owner....We went 2-14 without Winston, we can go 2-14 with him! Seriously though if you believe in him as a Head Coach you should be able to sell the owner because IMO, you've already had that conversation and if he wins another National Title you can say..."He's a Winner." Plus in Tampa & New York, he'll put fannies in the seats!

And he'll probably say Tebow was a winner, would put fannies in the seats, and wouldn't embarrass my franchise with something off the field. Besides, wouldn't the New York media eat this kid alive digging up all the stuff that we probably haven't even heard about yet?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And he'll probably say Tebow was a winner, would put fannies in the seats, and wouldn't embarrass my franchise with something off the field. Besides, wouldn't the New York media eat this kid alive digging up all the stuff that we probably haven't even heard about yet?

Maybe, but New Yorkers tend rally around somebody like this and Tebow could not throw...You knew it, I knew it and the American people knew it!

Winston has talent and New Yorkers forgive guys with talent...Gooden, Strawberry most of the 86 Mets...Namath the list goes on and on. New Yorkers tend to like people with a checkered past so as long as there is nothing criminal, IMO, Jet fans would embrace Winston with open arms.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24858105/nfl-draft-week-14-stock-report

Who hurt themselves?

QB Jameis Winston, Florida State, rSO (6-4 | 235 | 4.83 | #5): On one hand, the second half comebacks and ability for Winston to play his best when the lights are brightest are admirable qualities that appeal to evaluators. But the full story is that a large reason the team is forced to play from behind are because of Winston's mistakes, most notably the interceptions. Against Florida on Saturday, the Florida State passer threw three interceptions in the first quarter and finished with a career-high four interceptions, bringing his season total to 17. Winston is such a natural at the position with the physical skill-set that NFL scouts covet, but the decision-making and willingness to test minute windows are areas he deserves criticism. Since 1994, no quarterback with 30+ interceptions in his final two years in college has been drafted in the top-20 picks. Winston currently has 27 pick-offs in his two-year collegiate career with at least one game left on the schedule, and possibly three.

Matt Ryan had 29 interceptions...is that one interception really going to make a difference?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a slight difference between 29 of 1,347 passes intercepted and 30 of ~800 passes intercepted.

That's inaccurate. But okay, Winston has 27 Ints on 776 attempts. He also has 61 TDs. Ryan had 29 Ints on 1081 attempts and 46 TDs.

Peyton Manning, for example, had 56 TDs to 23 Ints on 857 attempts over his final 2 years of college.

Dan Marino had 54 TDs to 46 Ints on 756 attempts over his final 2 years of college.

Carson Palmer had 46 TDs to 22 Ints on 866 attempts over his final 2 years of college.

Drew Brees had 51 TDs to 24 Ints on 1066 attempts over his final 2 years of college.

John Elway had 44 TDs to 25 Ints on 781 attempts over his final 2 years of college.

I can go on for days, point is that Jameis's 61 TDs to 27 Ints is no major issue.

And that's ignoring a rather large elephant in the room...JAMEIS WINSTON IS A SOPHOMORE. I can give you a lot of great QBs that did not tear it up as sophomore starters in college.

I'll take my chances on Winston. I hope he falls to us. Especially if we can take a year to develop him behind Sam.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'll take my chances on Winston. I hope he falls to us. Especially if we can take a year to develop him behind Sam.

He won't you and I both know that....There is no way he falls unless something else comes up from legally and then all bets are off.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Matt Ryan had 29 interceptions...is that one interception really going to make a difference?

It might if it were just the INTs. Matt Ryan didn't have all the off the field stuff to go along with it. And this while entering an ever increasing sensitivity to that stuff in the league office.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I still dont think Winston declares for the draft
He'd be taking a gamble to do so IMO.

If he stays in school and keeps his nose clean all year, teams might be more willing to draft him earlier.

Then again, if he stays in school and gets in trouble again, that'll make his stock go down.