Mariota, Winston or Hundley?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Around 30 seconds...(paraphrasing) "I gotta play better, I have to make smarter decisions and not turn the ball over. I'm hurting the team."

I'm sorry, but there lines are way overrated in their significance and it doesn't matter what QB says it. They all say it for the most part. Tell me a QB who doesn't?

A55VA6

Legend
Mariota is my guy, but he will be a Top 3 pick so I don't see the Rams getting him unless they love him enough to trade up, which I doubt. Winston is a great talent, but there's a lot of issues with him as we all know. Hundley looks like he could be special, and he plays in a pro-style offense.

I'd be happy with any of them, but Winston bothers me just a bit. He's a big question mark.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Are we expecting the Rams to lose out for a chance at one of the higher ranked QBs? Or are we expecting the team to sell the farm in a trade to move up for a rookie who probably won't help the team win games next year?

Ramathon

Winston. Best QB of the 3, and it's not my job to judge on the character aspect of football. I've heard from plenty of people attending FSU that Jameis' off the field concerns aren't as big as you might think, and a lot of it is overblown in the media.

Would you expect FSU folks to say anything else.(?)

Athos

Legend
Are we expecting the Rams to lose out for a chance at one of the higher ranked QBs? Or are we expecting the team to sell the farm in a trade to move up for a rookie who probably won't help the team win games next year?

Would rather tank for the QB. Too many other holes to trade up and we'd have to use future 1s to do so.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, there's a snowballs chance in HELL that Jeff Fisher is going to go into year 4 with a rookie QB as his starter.

If Sam Bradford isn't the starter next year, my guess is some other veteran QB will be obtained. That said, I kinda wonder if Raider's rookie Derek Carr might be available on draft day next year, if the Raiders clean house this offseason and wind up with the#1 overall pick. As I recall, the team was said to show some interest in him pre-draft.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Would you expect FSU folks to say anything else.(?)

That was my first thought as well...Of course they would say that...Having said that, I think he's head and shoulders above the rest as a total football player...I didn't really know much, but I've now seen him 4 or 5 times this year and am really, really impressed with him on the field...The off-field stuff still scares me, but under the new contracts by slotting, teams don't look to lose nearly as much now as when Bradford came out...My first choice is still a healthy Bradford, but that's a real crap shoot and I understand why lots of people have given up on him...Bottom line , I guess, is that I have no freaking idea how this will turn...It might hinge more on whether the current regime is back than anything else...

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I've long been a Brett Hundley supporter. Still feel that way. In a perfect world, Bradford agrees to come back much cheaper and he plays while Hundley sits. If Bradford doesn't, then bring back Austin Davis to fill the same role.

Either way, I hope the UCLA QB is a Ram next year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Would rather tank for the QB. Too many other holes to trade up and we'd have to use future 1s to do so.
Is playing Davis a silent way to tank? After today, anybody can be better than what we have...Granted our last 4-5 games have been brutal with the defensive schemes & pressure so the kid Davis is really looking lost...But still, basic throws in the face of pressure he's gotta make..but it's obvious he can't...
I'd like Winston...then Hundley who's looking better every week...then Petty/Marriota...Wow Marriota is fast...But the plan would be to get Sam ready for 2015, and let the rookie take over if/when he gets hurt...davis is not a pro QB...but our line isn't ready to dominate, but not as bad as many are led to believe....
Tough loss today....we need somebody that can throw the ball.....I wonder what Hogan or Mannion looked like yesterday....
Need a another wr too...can we add DGB with the new QB...New OL (only a guard) and a MLB...geez

V3

Hall of Fame
Well he's under contract, should be healthy by next pre season and is very talented - we win that game tonight with him for example. That cant be said about anyone else around that could be the answer in my book.
Who said he should be healthy by next season? They said he'd be healthy this season, too. Couldn't even make it through pre-season. Second ACL's take longer to heal, too.

Athos

Legend
Sadly, we may have to sell picks for a Mariota.

2016 QB class looks barren right now. That could change, but I don't see many quality prospects. Connor Cook maybe.

It's either Mariota, or, the only non-1st round QBs I take, Bo Wallace or Bryce Petty.

Slim pickings.

.But the plan would be to get Sam ready for 2015, and let the rookie take over if/when he gets hurt...davis is not a pro QB...but our line isn't ready to dominate, but not as bad as many are led to believe....
Tough loss today....we need somebody that can throw the ball.....I wonder what Hogan or Mannion looked like yesterday....
Need a another wr too...can we add DGB with the new QB...New OL (only a guard) and a MLB...geez

That'd be the plan yea, especially for Mariota. Get Sam/Vet QB ready for 2015, and bring a guy like Mariota along slowly. Let him acclimate. Probably put 5-10 pounds more muscle on the guy. And maybe Davis is the way to lose out for the high QB. Biggest contenders for Mariota are probably TB, Raiders, Tians, and maybe the Jets. Though the Titans have Mettenberger. They'll probably spend the draft trying to build around him.

If DGB drops in the draft and he's there in the 2nd....I'd look long and hard at him. But you gotta be sure you can clean his BS up.

Last edited:

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Winston. Best QB of the 3, and it's not my job to judge on the character aspect of football. I've heard from plenty of people attending FSU that Jameis' off the field concerns aren't as big as you might think, and a lot of it is overblown in the media.

Being a part time Floridian I can assure that his character issues are BIGGER than anyone is reporting. Were it not for the Barney Fife's in Tallahassee, he would be facing multiple felonies! Shooting out those windows is going to come back and bite the "chosen one".

He will surely be there when the Rams draft. Only Bellicheat has enough juice to take a chance on that thug. I would bet he is already off of most draft boards. Why would any organization make that guy the face of their franchise?

The Rams may indeed need a QB, but I hope they wait until 2016. This class seems to be lacking.

On a personal level, I would have to lay down my 20 year fandom and hand in my tickets if Winston were in horns. How could anyone support a person like that?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's not that anyone here is "judging" Winston. It's just that when there are this many character red flags, the odds of a pick being a bust dramatically improves.

Everything I've heard about Winston tells me he's a disaster waiting to happen for whatever team is dumb enough to take him. He'd be far from the first who did well in college then busted in the NFL because no coach can fix what's above the neck.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Tanking for any player creates a lot more problems than it solves because you're deliberately creating a losing atmosphere that it's going to be hard to shake later.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm not about tanking, at all. I hope we when by huge margins every game. I'm not for drafting a QB, I'm for going after a guy like Orton or Manziel. We'd be able to get a guy like Manziel for a few late round picks, I bet. Maybe wishful thinking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, there's a snowballs chance in HELL that Jeff Fisher is going to go into year 4 with a rookie QB as his starter.

If Sam Bradford isn't the starter next year, my guess is some other veteran QB will be obtained. That said, I kinda wonder if Raider's rookie Derek Carr might be available on draft day next year, if the Raiders clean house this offseason and wind up with the#1 overall pick. As I recall, the team was said to show some interest in him pre-draft.

2014-11-0914_57_54.gif

I actually like Carr, though. But I have a hard time seeing Oakland give up on him this early. Think it's more like they'd trade the pick like the Rams did.

I'm sorry, but there lines are way overrated in their significance and it doesn't matter what QB says it. They all say it for the most part. Tell me a QB who doesn't?

There are many QBs that don't take blame. Especially when it's other people making mistakes.

Athos

Legend
Tanking for any player creates a lot more problems than it solves because you're deliberately creating a losing atmosphere that it's going to be hard to shake later.

Eh, starting Davis alone should work. Don't need to deliberately lose. Just keep Davis as starter.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Being a part time Floridian I can assure that his character issues are BIGGER than anyone is reporting. Were it not for the Barney Fife's in Tallahassee, he would be facing multiple felonies! Shooting out those windows is going to come back and bite the "chosen one".

He will surely be there when the Rams draft. Only Bellicheat has enough juice to take a chance on that thug. I would bet he is already off of most draft boards. Why would any organization make that guy the face of their franchise?

The Rams may indeed need a QB, but I hope they wait until 2016. This class seems to be lacking.

On a personal level, I would have to lay down my 20 year fandom and hand in my tickets if Winston were in horns. How could anyone support a person like that?
Part of this is me defending a young kid and part of it is my ignorance on everything that he has done, but what things did he do to make himself "a person like that?" I really only know of the childish outburst in the cafeteria, but that hardly says anything about him being a bad person IMO.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
They all look decent to me but Winstons arm stands out more than the other two when I watch. Winstons throws just seem to have way more velocity than the other two and seems deadly accurate at the same time.