Les Snead on Backup QB Plans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
But he was sitting on his ass for 10 months cause people didn't think he could start or backup.
I'm sure plenty of teams would have liked him as a backup, but he thought he should be starting somewhere. I don't blame a man for believing in himself and his abilities. He was sitting around because he didn't get the kind of money he thought he should be offered, or a shot at a starting job. After those big money deals failed to materialize, he settled for a small contract playing for the Rams.

I want him back next year if the price is right. He's good enough to win games in this league.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only concern with Wentz is I wish that game would have had more snaps won with his arm vice his legs. But I imagine with a full camp this year he'll be good to go. Dude is loaded with talent.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Only concern with Wentz is I wish that game would have had more snaps won with his arm vice his legs. But I imagine with a full camp this year he'll be good to go. Dude is loaded with talent.
Only reason they ran him so much is because they knew he was only going to be playing one game. If he was your 17 game starter you don't run him like that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shorter term deal for Baker, and he'll only be 31 when his next contract comes up, he might get paid even more next time. So it's a nice chunk of change and they are only stuck with him for probably two years if he doesn't live up to expectations.

I will gladly take Carson for our backup this year, he's good enough to win games, and already knows the offense. Only sticking point will be the money. Maybe he takes a one year deal again.
That is what I expect & then if a QB falls to The Rams they have a player who comes into an excellent situation & no pressures.
It will be interesting,because the QB market is flooded imo & a player like Carson Wentz will have a hard time other than being a backup & like Baker Mayfield.Could end up making a name again for himself from being in a good situation himself playing with a HOF QB.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm sure plenty of teams would have liked him as a backup, but he thought he should be starting somewhere. I don't blame a man for believing in himself and his abilities. He was sitting around because he didn't get the kind of money he thought he should be offered, or a shot at a starting job. After those big money deals failed to materialize, he settled for a small contract playing for the Rams.

I want him back next year if the price is right. He's good enough to win games in this league.
I could be wrong on this and have to look it up but pretty sure he told teams last year he was open to being a backup.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
TT 12k yards passing, 65 TDs 29 INTs, 88.3 career rating.

Wentz 22k yards passing 153 TDs 67 INTs, 89.4 career rating.

Explain your theory further.

Career numbers are not indicative of current play. Taylor is a smoother runner, transitions from scrambling to running better, throws a much better ball now (more accurate and catchable, not harder, Wentz still has the bigger arm) and has better field vision

Of course he's never had a couple of seasons like Wentz had, but right now, Taylor would let us run our offense closer to how Stafford runs it as opposed to it being completely different and honestly clunky like when Wentz ran it

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Career numbers are not indicative of current play. Taylor is a smoother runner, transitions from scrambling to running better, throws a much better ball now (more accurate and catchable, not harder, Wentz still has the bigger arm) and has better field vision

Of course he's never had a couple of seasons like Wentz had, but right now, Taylor would let us run our offense closer to how Stafford runs it as opposed to it being completely different and honestly clunky like when Wentz ran it
Wentz has a much bigger upside. He has played at a very high level at times. I'd rather have him if we had to roll with a backup for a few games. He already knows the offense. And he beat the GD 49ers. He's royalty now.

Ram65

Legend
I wonder how much Wentz has learned being around McVay and Stafford. His biggest problems I saw in the past was the inability/slow processing of pass coverages. He then relied on his legs too much which led to getting hurt. The Clowney cheap shot also hurt him. I like he can run when needed and can easily get short yardage behind the improving Rams offensive line. In Philly, he was considered a me-type player. Could be he has been humbled some and learned to become a we-type team player the Rams way. He also had time to get healthy. Wentz highlights beating the Whiners.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lssOZ-oeoxI

WestCoastRam

Legend

Wait... you mean I can't just post Joe Montana's career numbers next to Wentz?!?

Joe would be such a better backup to Wentz.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't think there are many options out there that are affordable and realistic.

I like what Wentz brings to the table. Although it may not be popular, also consider Jimmy Garoppolo a viable veteran option. Ryan Tannehill, Mason Rudolph and Joe Flacco are the other names to consider but I think the first two would be too expensive for the Rams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Zero motivation for many of those guys to take a minimum deal now.

Waiting for an injury has proven the better way to end up in a situation where you can boost your value.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The Rams may end up being forced to draft a backup this year. Joe Milton would be my choice because you could probably get him with pick 154 or 155 and he could pull off a Carson Wentz with his running and strong arm. Having a rookie backup QB is a little nerve racking to me though. Just get Wentz signed please.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams have already made a decision on how they are going to address this Qb situation.

There going to have a solid backup QB if what Les was saying is TRUE.

Last edited: