Jim Thomas on The Morning After Show

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
TA is a rookie WR don't forget. Most teams don't focus their offense around rookies.

I'm more concerned with the disappearance of the rest of the wr core. Where the heck are these guys? What the heck is wrong with Givens?
Why doesn't shotty do more with Stacy and Cunningham than up the middle? Can't they catch? I'd like to see some plays where the WR clear out and then some passes underneath to the RB's.
Like the short routes Faulk used to run. Those little 5 yarders turn into 20 yarders real quick and kill defenses.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, if the announcer called it that, then it had to be a shitty play that never worked in practice when it was executed properly either.
Because, you know, announcers see all that stuff too.

"We don't call plays that don't work."
-- Jeff Fisher

"We'll never draft second again."
-- Jeff Fisher :wink:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Well, if the announcer called it that, then it had to be a shitty play that never worked in practice when it was executed properly either.
Because, you know, announcers see all that stuff too.

"We don't call plays that don't work."
-- Jeff Fisher

Come on man.

Not just the announcer.

I can't find anyone in football who thinks that was a smart call or well designed play.

V3

Hall of Fame
And if it had worked?

Funny. Nobody questioned the fake punt from our own endzone against them last year.
Mainly because it worked. "Oh! The balls on Fisher! Love it!"

:shifty:

Even if it worked, you don't know if they'd continue the drive. That's an awful lot of risk for an uncertain/limited reward. The Rams didn't even have a first down in the first quarter.

Regardless, I don't really care. IMO, I really didn't expect the Rams to make the playoffs. I don't think that play defined that game.

RamzFanz

Damnit
TA is a rookie WR don't forget. Most teams don't focus their offense around rookies.

I'm more concerned with the disappearance of the rest of the wr core. Where the heck are these guys? What the heck is wrong with Givens?
Why doesn't shotty do more with Stacy and Cunningham than up the middle? Can't they catch? I'd like to see some plays where the WR clear out and then some passes underneath to the RB's.
Like the short routes Faulk used to run. Those little 5 yarders turn into 20 yarders real quick and kill defenses.

Dude, you just used Schotty and imaginative play examples in the same argument! You're going to cause a hole in the time space continuum and kill us all!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Even if it worked, you don't know if they'd continue the drive. That's an awful lot of risk for an uncertain/limited reward. The Rams didn't even have a first down in the first quarter.

Regardless, I don't really care. IMO, I really didn't expect the Rams to make the playoffs. I don't think that play defined that game.

I disagree. I think it clearly defined it.

It defined it as feeling helplessly desperate with 25% of the game left and only down by 10 because the play calling all game didn't work and obviously isn't going to work. It defined it as not trusting your D that has held the game to within 10. Not trusting your special teams. Not trusting your OC to call plays that score points.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Come on man.

Not just the announcer.

I can't find anyone in football who thinks that was a smart call or well designed play.
And if it had worked?

You wouldn't find anyone in football who had a problem with it. That's just how it works. You really think thats the first time they tried that play as a team?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The fake punt didn't work because a defender created pressure disabling the Rams from executing. It wasn't the call that was bad.

F. Mulder

Starter
I still think Gio panicked. Even when there was penetration Bailey was still coming around behind him and I think the could have got the ball to him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I still think Gio panicked. Even when there was penetration Bailey was still coming around behind him and I think the could have got the ball to him.

I completely agree with this.

Gio had to get the ball to Sted no matter how close the defender appeared.

When I watched it ... My thought was - Man, Gio is clearly not comfortable handling the ball. There is an art to handing the ball off to a runner... it's not as easy as it looks.

Even if the hand off was impossible, Gio could have lateraled the ball to Sted with a pitch or backwards pass.

No doubt that he panicked.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The pure fact of the matter is we got outplayed and we let them get in our heads. We just haven't played with the same intensity that we did with the 9ers last year and against the Cards and Hags this year, we were smart and fast in that game. In this and that Thursday night game we played dumb football, started playing with our anger instead of with our heads and the Whiners took advantage, there's few teams that won't take advantage of a team that starts acting like angry high schoolers.

V3

Hall of Fame
I disagree. I think it clearly defined it.

It defined it as feeling helplessly desperate with 25% of the game left and only down by 10 because the play calling all game didn't work and obviously isn't going to work. It defined it as not trusting your D that has held the game to within 10. Not trusting your special teams. Not trusting your OC to call plays that score points.

Personally, I think SF's defense and their WR's/TE's manhandling our secondary is what defined the game. When the offense doesn't even have a first down in the first quarter, they're being dominated.

F. Mulder

Starter
Personally, I think SF's defense and their WR's/TE's manhandling our secondary is what defined the game. When the offense doesn't even have a first down in the first quarter, they're being dominated.

It's very very frustrating when SF basically had 2 prime receiving targets (Davis/Boldin) and yet the Rams looked shocked/surprised/caught of guard etc for the 2nd time this year! That drove me nuts!!! When they went press they were man-handled coming off the LOS and when they played off they either didn't tackle or didn't close enough. Add to that some questionable and bone-headed penalties and they just kept keeping drives alive.

I REALLY think they need at least 2 new DBs (one Safety and one CB). SF is nothing special in their back 4 IMO but they play physical sound football. Maybe McDonald and Johnson can fit that mode but Jenkins is not physical, Finnegan is likely gone, and McCleod isn't very physical IMO.

V3

Hall of Fame
It's very very frustrating when SF basically had 2 prime receiving targets (Davis/Boldin) and yet the Rams looked shocked/surprised/caught of guard etc for the 2nd time this year! That drove me nuts!!! When they went press they were man-handled coming off the LOS and when they played off they either didn't tackle or didn't close enough. Add to that some questionable and bone-headed penalties and they just kept keeping drives alive.

I REALLY think they need at least 2 new DBs (one Safety and one CB). SF is nothing special in their back 4 IMO but they play physical sound football. Maybe McDonald and Johnson can fit that mode but Jenkins is not physical, Finnegan is likely gone, and McCleod isn't very physical IMO.

I DEFINITELY think they need AT LEAST two DB's in the draft/FA. I was really hoping there would be a bigger DB highly rated that the Rams could take in the first but it doesn't look that way. Most that are highly rated are 6' or smaller. I hate the Seahags so much but their DB's are exactly what I want; large, physical, and able to completely shut down just about anyone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I saw the same thing. Shame.