If we were to get a new head coach who would you want

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
You want the head coach to stay out of the draft room?
Hell yes! They think they're scouts but they aren't. I don't mind them giving the scouts/GM guidelines, preferences, etc as to the type of player he's looking for but coaches picking the players rarely works.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yes! I'll pretend he retired.

My second choice is Jon Gruden.

I'm not sold on Gruden, I think he rode the coattails of Dungy to his Super Bowl win.

I'm still saying Jim Harbaugh, or maybe Shaw from Stanford. Shaw still his a little to prove at Stanford after taking over for Harbaugh, though.

MrMotes

Starter
Correct a mistake that was made and give this guy a chance with good ownership and management supporting him.

Firing Mike Martz while recovering from a heart infection was a real low for this organization. And instead of putting us on the right track, it ushered in one of the worst decades of football ever known to man.

Still, Martz's time has probably passed. However, if we did hire Adam Gase i could see him bringing Martz in, in some capacity.

I've never been a big Fisher fan but this season isn't over yet. I'm not quite ready to write him off, though i'm awfully close,,.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not sold on Gruden, I think he rode the coattails of Dungy to his Super Bowl win.

I'm still saying Jim Harbaugh, or maybe Shaw from Stanford. Shaw still his a little to prove at Stanford after taking over for Harbaugh, though.

I think Dungy was over rated and that team was declining until Gruden got there and shaped them up.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think Dungy was over rated and that team was declining until Gruden got there and shaped them up.

Fair enough. So Gruden developed the guys better, but still used Dungy's personnel. Kinda fits our situation here. hmmmm.......

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fair enough. So Gruden developed the guys better, but still used Dungy's personnel. Kinda fits our situation here. hmmmm.......

I can see the correlation but I'm not ready to give up on Fisher just yet.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
wouldn't mind a hard look at hue Jackson

Hue's offensive philosphy fits our current players pretty well. And he has pretty good knowledge of both sides of the ball. I think he can do well as a head coach with the right guys supporting him. I don't think he got a fair shake in Oakland. It's hard for any coach to succeed out there lately.

iced

Hue's offensive philosphy fits our current players pretty well. And he has pretty good knowledge of both sides of the ball. I think he can do well as a head coach with the right guys supporting him. I don't think he got a fair shake in Oakland. It's hard for any coach to succeed out there lately.

and the bengals offense has grown despite injuries and being its first year in the system

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hell yes! They think they're scouts but they aren't. I don't mind them giving the scouts/GM guidelines, preferences, etc as to the type of player he's looking for but coaches picking the players rarely works.
Is there any coach in the NFL that stays out of the draft room? There are certainly coaches with less pull on the drafting process but aren't they always a part of the process? If not, it sounds like and awfully dysfunctional relationship.

Athos

Legend
Gary Patterson

Wouldn't say no to Dana Holgorsen, he may find a way to use Tavon.

Word up on Holgorsen. Another is Art Briles. Baylor put in some offensive talent into the NFL lately. I think he has a great eye for it. And that Baylor system is hardly ever shut down. Another would be James Franklin. Kept Vandy decently competitive with a dearth of talent in the SEC.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Is it wrong to say Jim Harbaugh? I'd have him in a heartbeat, he's a winner and that's what this franchise needs badly atm

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
Is there any coach in the NFL that stays out of the draft room? There are certainly coaches with less pull on the drafting process but aren't they always a part of the process? If not, it sounds like and awfully dysfunctional relationship.
I don't mean literally out of the draft room. I just meant that I don't want the coach picking the players. He can give attributes, skills, player types, etc that he wants to fit his scheme but I don't want him picking the players. There are coaches out there that play by those rules. That's how it used to be done, too. Coaches already have too much to do. I don't want them adding scout to their list of duties, especially when most haven't done it.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I would like a young up and comer from the college ranks. A fresh face with new ideas and a drive to make his mark on the NFL. I don't want someone off of the coach carousel and especially anyone (as head or assistant) whose name I know because his daddy was a great NFL coach.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't mean literally out of the draft room. I just meant that I don't want the coach picking the players. He can give attributes, skills, player types, etc that he wants to fit his scheme but I don't want him picking the players. There are coaches out there that play by those rules. That's how it used to be done, too. Coaches already have too much to do. I don't want them adding scout to their list of duties, especially when most haven't done it.
I sorta figured that's really what you meant. I'd be good with that.

I think when it is kind of a toss up between players, the coach might be asked to break the tie if you will. But then we don't really know for sure how much of the decision making is up to Fish and how much is up to Snead. At least I don't.

Was Tavon a Fisher guy? Was Donald? Everyone has some hits and misses. And I'm not ready to say that Tavon was a miss just yet. I think we are all confused as to why they picked him if they were going to use him like this. So I'm really not sure who is playing lead dog when it comes to the draft and free agency. The talk is that Fish has a lot of influence and I haven't seen anything that refutes it. It's just that some of the picks seem odd when you figure how they are fitting within the system.

I just wonder if Snead and his scouting staff are bringing Fish a pool of players to choose from or if Fish is directing who to bring in for visits and who to go look at. It'd be cool to know for sure.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Off topic, but I find this theory interesting considering the team he beat was the team he built. So he rode the coat tails of Dungy to a victory over a guy who rode his coat tails to Superbowl loss? Lol

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At this point, I'm willing to sell my soul to the devil (Harbaugh) if San Fran fires him after the locker room stuff.

This is the only direction I would go, however, Harbaugh is still under contract and if they let him leave, it won't be to the Rams. He will have total autonomy in Oakland/Los Angeles and the Raiders will send draft choices to San Francisco so Harbaugh's beloved wife will not have to move.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about a Jim dream team of Harbaugh and Schwartz. They seem like top mates to me.