If Schottenheimer really is THAT bad...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He just lacks creativity and doesn't know how to make adjustments to his game plan when other teams adjust.
If that is not bad I don't know what is. If he can't adjust the Rams will never be a winning team.

To answer your question. Yes, it is on Fisher. He is the head coach. He is loyal to a fault and keeping Shott around proves it. The Rams scored 17 points last week and one of the TD's was when they got possession on the SD 20 yard line. This offense is not scoring enough points, period, and it ain't all on the players.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that is not bad I don't know what is. If he can't adjust the Rams will never be a winning team.
Schotty problem is, that he is a scripted play caller, his plays dictate the running game to be successful and if it's not he is completely lost

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Trade up draft Winston let Schottenheimer go and hire Rod Chudzinski currently an offensive consultant with the Colts because he did a nice job with Cam Newton and with Winston at QB and Chud calling the plays Winston stays out of trouble all Ram fans will rejoice.

I second you on Chudzinski. Ricky Proehl described him as "Martz without the drama."

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
there are plenty of ways ppl will try and give Schotty excuses or reasons 'why' nothing has worked since he's been here. last play of the game sums up Schotty completely. there was absolutely nothing smart and professional about the last play call. Our 'run first' team with a backup QB throwing a pick inside the 5??

best excuse wins and... GO!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
there are plenty of ways ppl will try and give Schotty excuses or reasons 'why' nothing has worked since he's been here. last play of the game sums up Schotty completely. there was absolutely nothing smart and professional about the last play call. Our 'run first' team with a backup QB throwing a pick inside the 5??

best excuse wins and... GO!
Well, here's a reason and not an excuse:

Being a good OC does not mean calling the "safe" play calls all the time, because the "safe" calls are also the predictable calls. Hill is in the position he is right now because he's supposed to be smart and experienced and not try to force passes like he did.

Hill was the primary reason for the play failing, and if Schotty did call runs and they didn't work, those blasting him now for passing would probably be blasting him for being too predictable. Whereas if the play worked, no one would complain (see the fake punt vs. Seattle. No one would be talking about Fisher's balls if it failed.)

V3

Hall of Fame
Trade up draft Winston let Schottenheimer go and hire Rod Chudzinski currently an offensive consultant with the Colts because he did a nice job with Cam Newton and with Winston at QB and Chud calling the plays Winston stays out of trouble all Ram fans will rejoice.
I think I mentioned that the Rams should go get Chud when he was fired last season. Everything I've heard about him has been good and that he's also a "QB whisperer". I just wonder if he's the type of OC that gets poached for a HC job in a year or two. I'm not going to hold the Browns against him and I doubt other teams will, either. That was a farce, IMO.

But yeah, I'm with you on this. I'd love Chud as OC.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not going to hold the Browns against him and I doubt other teams will, either. That was a farce, IMO.

But yeah, I'm with you on this. I'd love Chud as OC.

Actually IMO it will take a few really good years for him to get another Head Coaching opportunity because that is just how the NFL works. We'll be fine with Chud for a couple years IMO.

V3

Hall of Fame
Actually IMO it will take a few really good years for him to get another Head Coaching opportunity because that is just how the NFL works. We'll be fine with Chud for a couple years IMO.
It wouldn't stop me from trying to get him even if I did think he'd be gone in a year or two. Seeing how well Chip Kelly's system has done in Philly with seemingly any QB he throws in there, it REALLY makes me want an innovative OC that can maximize production from his players- especially at the QB position.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1) Shotty's playcalling goes erratic once we get any kind of positive momentum. Be it momentum from scoring a TD, from a defensive turnover, a special teams play....whatever.
It's like the better things are going in the game he completely loses any playcalling rhythm on the very next possession or two.

Ex: Rams drive down the field pounding the run game mixed in with a couple nice play action passes and maybe one misdirection play...we score a TD.
On the very next possession he'll pass on first down(incomplete), throw a bubble screen on 2nd down(for 1 yard) and then call a bad 3rd down play that the entire stadium saw coming. Same with possessions after a Rams defensive turnover or big sack on 3rd down to get off the field.

Shotty's offense can occasionally find a nice rhythm and produce yards and points, but the moment the team gains any momentum he kills it with a cutesy, horrific series that inevitably swings the momentum back the other direction. I feel like our defense has been fighting against this too lately.

2) Abandoning the run. Obvious one.

3) Any play call on 3rd and short. It's like he doesn't trust his backs and OLine, but trusts his backup QB's. I cringe every time we get into 3rd and short.

Last edited:

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Here's an old thread from TurfShowTimes that talks about Schotty. It touches upon his pros and cons from different sources. A lot of his cons are things we are witnessing. However, Fisher is a pretty loyal guy, so I don't think Schotty is going anywhere. The only thing I can say is hopefully the offense can improve next year if we can get a better QB in here. If it doesn't improve, Jeff will start to feel the heat. Especially if the defense keeps progressing.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/1/16/2710831/st-louis-rams-the-brian-schottenheimer-paradox
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/1/16/2710831/st-louis-rams-the-brian-schottenheimer-paradox

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Well, here's a reason and not an excuse:

Being a good OC does not mean calling the "safe" play calls all the time, because the "safe" calls are also the predictable calls. Hill is in the position he is right now because he's supposed to be smart and experienced and not try to force passes like he did.

Hill was the primary reason for the play failing, and if Schotty did call runs and they didn't work, those blasting him now for passing would probably be blasting him for being too predictable. Whereas if the play worked, no one would complain (see the fake punt vs. Seattle. No one would be talking about Fisher's balls if it failed.)
Fisher actually addressed this sometime during the season that on goal line stands like that its simply about who's better physically and sometimes its ok if the other team knows what your doing. if this is a ground and pound, run first offense there's no reason to get cute on 2nd down and 4 with plenty of time left to win and/or tie at the worst. Fisher said in the press conference he doesn't interfere in the offensive play calling probably cus it causes strife within the team. But the OC is having trouble with fundamental football. that used to be Jeff Fisher football.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher actually addressed this sometime during the season that on goal line stands like that its simply about who's better physically and sometimes its ok if the other team knows what your doing. if this is a ground and pound, run first offense there's no reason to get cute on 2nd down and 4 with plenty of time left to win and/or tie at the worst. Fisher said in the press conference he doesn't interfere in the offensive play calling probably cus it causes strife within the team. But the OC is having trouble with fundamental football. that used to be Jeff Fisher football.
OK, but none of that addresses what I actually said about how being the "safe" call is not always the best one (even if we are run first) because it's predictable, and how those who dislike Schotty would be getting on his case then too if he called runs and something went wrong.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
My biggest issue guys the Rams are really gonna have to decide what they are gonna do with the Qb position in th e off season? Is Bradford really gonna get another shot?