If Schottenheimer really is THAT bad...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you should bet it all on the Rams this week.

Live a little. LOL.
But if I lose all my RODBux, I'll just have to keep babbling to recoup all of them.

Say... have you heard my ideas on Spags yet?

*ducks*
*runs*

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I think it takes a really, really, really special OC to make magic with Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill at QB
Thanks for the perspective Boffo
Now mind you, I'm not saying the guy is perfect or blameless or anything like that. And I honestly wouldn't mind if the Rams did move on from him (and/or Fisher) in the offseason.

I'm just saying that if people believe he is utterly incompetent, then Fisher deserves part of the blame too.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I cant believe Im finally saying this but the guys on offense are starting to out perform the coaching leaving more blame on Schotty for bad play calling. in previous years he refused to play call to the teams strengths. now he's just calling dumb plays at critical moments. there's a reason his old team didn't like him either. WHY for the love of God would you call a pass play with a backup QB inside the 5 when Mason and Benny are playing that well?? especially with the bullshit the refs were letting SD get away with. there is nothing smart about that play call what so ever. Fisher stated on his radio show that he doesnt get involved in the play calls like that. I understand that but there has to be some kind of accountability for something that stupid.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If I recall correctly Fisher's first choice for OC would have been the late Mike Heimerdinger. But due to his health situation that was not to be. Fisher also had Norm Chow with him as OC while with the Titans but that didn't work out and he was fired. I guess Schottenheimer was his next choice.

I wonder why position coaches are seldom if ever held accountable. Andy Sugarman is in charge of "Offensive Quality Control." Frank Cignetti is the QB coach. How about some threads about them? :sneaky:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think it takes a really, really, really special OC to make magic with Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill at QB
Thanks for the perspective Boffo

While I agree with you...
  1. He seems to find a way to get early game success at times with those guys
  2. It's not those QB's who abandon the run for stretches
  3. Those QB's aren't putting Tavon almost exclusively in the slot
  4. And... pretty sure Hill didn't call the empty back pass to end the Chargers game
I could add more, but you get the point.

I hate the thought of installing a new Offense. But, we have to be able to crack the top 20 on offense to be a real playoff threat and Schottenheimer has more bottom 20 offenses than top 20 in his career. That worries me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I won't read all the comments, well the page 1 stuff....But remember the guy that went to New England? Josh McDaniels? Everybody was displeased with his work with the offense....I remember the no-huddle he ran when the Giants were falling out....We almost won that game...But I liked him....Now, I guess he's a genius, the TE system...or is it something to do with a guy named Brady...
Give Schotty the #1 QB for a couple years...Hell, just 2 years in a row....

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I have been and continue to be torn on Shotty. If you slow down and watch film on plays you'll see there is so much potential on some of his calls. But then you'll see 2-3 players whiff on blocks, etc. So on one hand you want to believe it's play calling but on the other it's just been horrid execution.

That being said, he really lacks imagination and the ability to adjust, IMO at crucial times. I mean how many of us are watching on TV and know exactly what play he's going to run? Like why would you run 3rd and 1 right up the gut with 10 players on D crowding the LOS? At some point you have to change up the obvious and keep the defense on it's heels. Far too often I don't see that with Shotty.

But I have to also play devils advocate. Look at the history of QB's he's had. Outside of Bradford who has the most talent, he's had the likes of Mark Sanchez, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis and Shaun Hill. Not exactly a 1st round draft dream. We all saw how Sam was slinging it around in the preseason. I have to believe with a good QB at the helm it changes everything. Even last year Sam was off to record numbers before he got hurt.

Shotty may not be the best OC in the league but in a lot of ways he's no different than a QB, without the right guy running the ship he's limited.

One last comment though, he still has no idea how to use Tavon Ausin, IMO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IDK, I'm just going to ride-the-season-out, before I voice an opinion on Schotty! But the Buck stops with Fisher! The call is on him!

Robert

Rookie
What other OC's are out there that would be a better replacement? Sorry I really don't know. Thanks

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There's nothing wrong with Schottenheimer. He calls the plays that work during practice, and has demonstrated that he knows how to utilize his players. Nobody here or in the media knows how the players are progressing, how they're grasping concepts, or if they're in a slump or if they're executing all of their responsibilities. Once the play is called, it's entirely out of his hands. The QB can get pressured and the play falls apart. The QB can miss an open high read and hit the dump-off for no gain. Blocking can fall apart and a 60 yard run can get blown up in the backfield. A defense can disguise the blitz and blow a play up that could have been a TD based on the base coverage.

Fisher once said, "We don't call plays that don't work." And it's true. They don't.

Execution fails and the coordinator is the goat. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it'll always be.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If u wanna see Schotty at his worse, the first drive against SD in the second half and the drives after the Davis pick in KC. Abysmal, but Davis and Hill do struggle as starters. I wan neither on the team next year.​

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If u wanna see Schotty at his worse, the first drive against SD in the second half and the drives after the Davis pick in KC. Abysmal, but Davis and Hill do struggle as starters. I wan neither on the team next year.​
He's already gone, man.

MrMotes

Starter
Schottenheimer is that bad.

But Fisher is a defensive minded coach. His teams win when they have not just good defense but great defense.

The offense doesn't really figure very much into Fisher's formula, he just wants an offense that uses some clock and doesn't turn the ball over a lot. That's a pretty low bar. Rex Ryan has a similar philosophy. There aren't alot of teams out there that would go with a low end OC like BS.

And as the Jets show, probably doesn't really matter who the OC is as long as the overall philosophy stays the same. Like the Jets, we'll go as far as our defense takes us...

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Schottenheimer is that bad.

But Fisher is a defensive minded coach. His teams win when they have not just good defense but great defense.

The offense doesn't really figure very much into Fisher's formula, he just wants an offense that uses some clock and doesn't turn the ball over a lot. That's a pretty low bar. Rex Ryan has a similar philosophy. There aren't alot of teams out there that would go with a low end OC like BS.

And as the Jets show, probably doesn't really matter who the OC is as long as the overall philosophy stays the same. Like the Jets, we'll go as far as our defense takes us...
Even if Fisher is defensive minded, he's downright incompetent if Schottenheimer is indeed that bad though. That's the point here.

All coaches tend to fall in the mold of coming from an offensive or defensive background. It's still on them if the coordinator of the other side isn't very good. Look at all the abuse Martz took over Larry Marmie.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
There's nothing wrong with Schottenheimer. He calls the plays that work during practice, and has demonstrated that he knows how to utilize his players. Nobody here or in the media knows how the players are progressing, how they're grasping concepts, or if they're in a slump or if they're executing all of their responsibilities. Once the play is called, it's entirely out of his hands. The QB can get pressured and the play falls apart. The QB can miss an open high read and hit the dump-off for no gain. Blocking can fall apart and a 60 yard run can get blown up in the backfield. A defense can disguise the blitz and blow a play up that could have been a TD based on the base coverage.

Fisher once said, "We don't call plays that don't work." And it's true. They don't.

Execution fails and the coordinator is the goat. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it'll always be.

I don't think it's just the typical case of a knee jerk reaction after a bad loss though X. There have been legitimate gripes about Shotty's play calling for years. And us Ram fans are pretty well trained at what bad coaching looks like as well as bad players, bad execution, bad everything. We've been living it for 8 years. I think when there is this many in the ram community complaining, there is more to it than needing a goat.

WoodsideRam

Rookie

With all due respect this quote is straight up bull shit. Way to absolve yourself of all responsibility Fish.

There is a reason why Shotty has a less than stellar resume. There is a reason Fish's record over his career is what it is. Let me guess. All the players he had just can't execute the way he wants them to? This isn't two newbies here. Shotty has been coordinating offenses for 8 plus years now. What's his track record? Want me to look it up? Let me ask you this...if he leaves here, voluntarily or not, how many teams do you think will scoop him up? As an OC? Would you lay money on it?

Hey, man, I call good plays. Maybe I can be a good OC. Because after all, I don't call plays that don't work either.

He's avereage at best. Wasn't a fan of the hire. Still not. But I live with it. Because I'm a fan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Schotty is frustrating but he has definitely been hurt by the QB play this year.

It's not just the fans that think he runs a bare bones offense with no creativity much of the time, it's most of the football community.

His offense is anything but bare bones. If anything, it's overly complex.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I am posting this without reading the entire thread. I'm completely plastered drunk on vodka, and I'm pissed at my wife because she criticized my pre Thanksgiving shopping on my day off. So if any of y'all disagree you can kiss my pimply white behind. (with all due respect of course)

So it's 1st and goal on the 6(?) yard line with 1:40 left in the game? (I'm completely going off drunken memory, help me out here assholes!) 1st down run for 2.5 yards give or take. 2nd down throw into double coverage for a INT? Why not run again, burn time off the clock, run again to try for a TD, if not there, kick a FG to tie. Why throw into coverage?

I'm tanked out of my gourd, if any of this doesn't make sens or is wrong, please feel free to correct it. BTW kiss my ass.

MrMotes

Starter
Even if Fisher is defensive minded, he's downright incompetent if Schottenheimer is indeed that bad though. That's the point here.

All coaches tend to fall in the mold of coming from an offensive or defensive background. It's still on them if the coordinator of the other side isn't very good. Look at all the abuse Martz took over Larry Marmie.

It depends what you mean by "that bad." He's a bottom rung OC who very few coaches would let run the offense. Fisher and Ryan are two of the few.

Teams can win with this formula if you have a great defense. But if Fisher can't, you're right he should be fired, just like Ryan probably will be after this season...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It depends what you mean by "that bad." He's a bottom rung OC who very few coaches would let run the offense. Fisher and Ryan are two of the few.

Teams can win with this formula if you have a great defense. But if Fisher can't, you're right he should be fired, just like Ryan probably will be after this season...
Fisher should be fired?