Gonna go waaaaay out on a limb here...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, remember, Todd Haley was the HC of the Cards before Wisenhunt, iirc. And he was a royal...well, you know...pain in the butt. But he's rehabbed himself as the OC in Pitt.

The thing I'd forgotten about Todd Haley that's vaulted him to the top of my "possible" list...because as we've both mentioned, Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving Ann Arbor short of being kidnapped, is that Todd Haley runs the EP offense...which would suit Goff PERFECTLY.

Moreover, I'm sorry, but Gurley is just a WAY better receiver than this coaching staff gives him credit for being. If I had a RB that could catch like him, he'd have as many routes as the WRs if not more. I'd be using him like Marshall even if Gurley runs more like Eddie George. He's still the best receiving back we have...and that included Cunningham. Yeah...I said it.

So yeah, the "viable, possible" list would be pretty short.

Todd Haley
David Shaw
Jim Bob Cooter
Kyle Shanahan

The other thing about Haley that might work is that because he's been an HC before and failed (almost a prereq for being successful, it seems...failing for awhile in the old days or failing at your first stop these days...see Belichick in Cleveland... and let me just say that if they'd just stayed in Cleveland with THAT coaching staff and those players??? HOLY CRAP. THAT woulda been a damned dynasty... Freakin' city can't catch a break... but I digress)

I still really like Shaw and he's not just a coordinator, but he's been a HC at the college level for awhile and he really seems to be studying what it's going to take to get his first stop right. That's what it took to make Stanford a football powerhouse. Which, if you thought about that 30 years ago, was kinda a joke. Now, they're in the hunt every year...against schools where the term "student/athlete" is debated on whether it's more of a sarcastic joke or a full on oxymoron.

I look forward and I look at the potential these men bring with their ideas and I'm very enthusiastic.

I look at what Fisher's coaching staff brings...even if everything goes right...and at BEST...I'm cautiously optimistic, but not fully emotionally invested, because I feel like I know better. I feel like I already KNOW Fisher, know his patterns, his predispositions and his tendencies which are so defined as to be nearly etched in stone. For this supposed gambler, he's as predictable as a stoplight with his behaviors.

The only thing I've gotten wrong thus far was once they drafted Goff, I thought they'd just give him the job. That wasn't Fisher being un-Fisher. That was me not stepping back and reading the Fisher bio.

The faith...she is losing. I root for de boys who play de football, but de mans with de headphones....he make a me crazy...

I'm just ready for a change at the HC position. The only question now is how many years we have to wait before that happens and if that affects Goff's development in a negative way.

No Way on SHAW !!! He just proved my point this season. He is just not a winner !! He will only get his team so far.
He chokes in bowl games each season.This season he has gone down hill fast. Jim Harbaugh is a heck of a coach. If Jeff Fisher had that fire The Rams would be over .500 easy . Kyle Shannahan did wonders with RG111,until he got hurt.Played towards his strength ls.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Anyone who thinks Fisher and this front office have not turned this organization around deserve the punishment of watching seasons 2005-2012 on a continuous loop for about 3 weeks

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
First and foremost, I predict that we will all be amazed by improved play and production by many of our existing players when under the direction of a new HC and coaching staff on O.

Goodbye 7-9 BS!

Hello Playoffs!

An interesting post @Rams43

Fisher's Rams are 3-4 and he still has 9 more games left to be judged by. I'm not ready to jump on the fire Fisher bandwagon or look to the future until this season plays out another 5, 6 or 7 games.

I agree that a regime change just might be the answer to your premise about the offense but I can't go out on that limb with you just yet my friend.

To me this years Rams team is the strangest to figure out since Fisher's tenure as HC. I wouldn't be shocked if they won their next 4 games or fell to 3-7. We should have a much better grasp about the 7-9 BS after the Panthers game is over.

In my opinion this Rams team is Fisher's
most unpredictable to figure out of them all.

1117008279-Love-is-Unpredictable-Quote.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
freak. I took a quick nap and it's already February?

No more heavy lunches.

Yeah, it's crazy how we're looking to replace Fisher after he delivered us a Super Bowl just a few weeks ago.. Although we'll still need to get someone who can run that offense to its full potential.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Where is Tru going to follow Fisher to? Retirement?

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I think we are on the cusp. The team is maturing. Soon we will no longer be the youngest team in the league like we have been. This regime picked Goff. It would be a shame not to let them see this through. Which tells me that Fisher is probably sticking around beyond this season and it is why he's taking his time with Goff.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would absolutely love to get Kyle Shannahan as our HC. Love what he's doing for Matt Ryan in his 2nd year in his scheme. If he had Goff as his franchise QB we would see an offensive explosion if he became our new HC. Just get a defensive guy to handle that side of the ball and Shannahan run the O. Hello playoffs is correct!
Can't say I agree with you, I think that offense would do just fine with anyone at coordinator. I would prefer a guy with head coaching experience

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An interesting post @Rams43

Fisher's Rams are 3-4 and he still has 9 more games left to be judged by. I'm not ready to jump on the fire Fisher bandwagon or look to the future until this season plays out another 5, 6 or 7 games.

I agree that a regime change just might be the answer to your premise about the offense but I can't go out on that limb with you just yet my friend.

To me this years Rams team is the strangest to figure out since Fisher's tenure as HC. I wouldn't be shocked if they won their next 4 games or fell to 3-7. We should have a much better grasp about the 7-9 BS after the Panthers game is over.

In my opinion this Rams team is Fisher's
most unpredictable to figure out of them all.

1117008279-Love-is-Unpredictable-Quote.jpg

That's fine, Florida.

I lost faith in Fisher somewhere in the '14 season, I think. So this is not a new opinion I just came up with.

And this year starts off with that 28-0 debacle with the Niners. After 8 months to prepare.

We now find ourselves on a 3 game losing streak. All 3 winnable games, btw.

And you, of all people, should know that Goff should have been ready to start before now. A phenomenal season at Cal in '15 and he can't even see the field through 7 games, and no plans to start him in game 8? That's coaching malpractice, man. Criminal negligence.

Want more coaching malpractice? Gurley is struggling. OL is struggling. Tavon is struggling. Keenum is struggling. Our O is ranked #31 in the league. All are unacceptable and mind boggling.

With even a decent HC we should be 5-2 right now. With a top flight HC we should be 6-1. And that one loss was a very winnable game vs the Bills, at that.

So yeah, I'm done with Fisher. Have been for over a year.

I'll save you a nice spot on my limb for when you're ready to join me. Lol.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First and foremost, I predict that we will all be amazed by improved play and production by many of our existing players when under the direction of a new HC and coaching staff on O.

New schemes, techniques, game plans will result in a "miraculous" improvement in all position groups. Many players will suddenly approach their respective ceilings.

QB
RB
Entire OL
TE
WR's

Our current HC and his staff just appear to be dysfunctional when it comes to O matters.

Merely decent coaching should raise this group from #31 to #16 ranking, I would think. That, alone, would put playoffs back on the table for next year.

Hope Britt and Quick can keep up their present trendlines. If so, that would greatly reduce our WR needs in '17. I'm encouraged by the improvement of both players this year and think both players can be productive for years to come. Particularly with a new coaching staff and if Goff turns out to be a legit franchise QB.

Gawd, I hope they can find a way to afford and keep TruJo. That would remove a very big need for '17, as well. Together with a healthy Gaines, I think we would be set at the very important CB position for years to come.

BPA all the way in '17 would then be possible. All glaring holes would have then been removed at that point. Including QB, RB, OL, CB, and S.

A draft dream scenario for a GM. Simply take BPA available at each pick for all 7 picks.

FWIW, I will make a projection of DE with our 2nd rounder. Probably gonna be best value/need match for us. DE is reportedly considered a very high quality and deep position next year. After that, who knows?

To summarize, a new HC and O coaching staff changes everything, IMO. A Saban or Urban Meyer type from the college ranks changes player and fan attitudes and expectations both profoundly and instantly. Or a highly regarded current NFL assistant, perhaps? One with perceived executive skills? We should definitely have our choice of the cream of the crop, don't you think?

Goodbye 7-9 BS!

Hello Playoffs!
Good call! Case and point: The Los Angeles Lakers! Did anyone see them crush the Warriors last night? Luke Walton, the new coach is amazing and the horrible Lakers from last year are gone. It's the same team, except without Kobe and old school coach Byron Scott. Scott was like Fisher, old ways, nothing new. Boring and losing.
Walton took a crap team and is making them look like a force, easily the most exciting team in the league.
I can't believe what is happening with a new coach and staff and basically the same players. Kobe unwilling to share the ball was 95% of the problem. If seeing is believing, this is a no brainer,
Stan, if you're reading this, do the right thing and get the right coach.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
That's fine, Florida.

And you, of all people, should know that Goff should have been ready to start before now. Criminal negligence.
I'll save you a nice spot on my limb for when you're ready to join me. Lol.

You just had to go there with Jared didn't you :mad: lol.. Our in depth Goff discussions that we shared well before the draft have not been forgotten @Rams43.

I was one of his biggest advocates pre-draft and fully expected him to win the starting job by default regardless of the coaching staff that was accountable for getting him prepared to play and lead this years offense.

I am guilty of bashing Fisher's offensive staff and have exhausted my views of why I thought Boras/Weinke were not experienced and or under qualified/handicapped for the task. I absolutely thought they would've had him ready to start by at least the first quarter of the season.

I can't give full blame to Fisher and his staff though. I still have my reasons but there are too many intangibles involved for getting a spread formation Bear Raid (21 year old at the time) rookie quarterback transitioned to the complexities involved at the professional level.

It is likely that I like many others, overestimated Jared's learning curve/ability to process information and transition it to the field, which in return puts much of the blame on him.

He probably would've flourished quicker under a different offensive coaching regime from the onset of OTA's but we will never know that so we can only speculate.

You have always made valid points about Fisher and his hand picked offensive coaches as well as his 1970's philosophy not translating to offensive production in the modern day NFL era.

I have noticed though that Fisher seems to be letting his OC do his own thing and Boras is showing signs of being a good coordinator albeit he's only been an NFL offensive coordinator for 11 total games now since he took over last December.

As I have state there is still 9 games left to play and Fisher still has a chance to prove his doubters wrong.

I still have my doubts but Fisher didn't do anything special with the Oilers/Titans until his 5th season so I'm holding out some faith that coach will swoop you up from that limb you're out on.
hanginthere.gif

Rams43 my friend, I think this pic more expresses your
faith while you're hanging out on the Fisher limb :rolllaugh:

death-good_friends-saws-branches-cliffs-cliff_edges-mkan78_low.jpg

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not think that Fisher is going anywhere, and I am ok with that. I really do not think that he is even on the hot seat, but that might change.

The problem with a coaching change is the decision can absolutely cripple an organization. In my opinion, I think the turnover rate for coaches is too quick for most to even keep the course and see their plan come to fruition. All coordinators do not make good head coaches, and I feel that moving on from Fisher after this year is not the right call. They have a plan, and it hasn't worked it's way through, and I really think we are going to see a different team next year.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
freak. I took a quick nap and it's already February?

When you're a Rams fan during the Jeff Fisher coached era, it's always February.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
They have a plan, and I really think we are going to see a different team next year.

No offense at all to you Juice, but if I had a nickle every time us Ram fans have said those words or thought next year was the year. OMG. :(
Fisher has to go. I promise that is the only way we get better.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Can't say I agree with you, I think that offense would do just fine with anyone at coordinator. I would prefer a guy with head coaching experience
That falcons offense has turned into a whole nother animal under Shannahan. Matt Ryan is on pace for career numbers, this is no coincidence. Kyle Shannahan has taken Matt Ryans game to another level.

As of 9 games in Matt Ryans numbers are:
Year Team G Comp Att % Yds Y/G Y/A 300+ TD Int
2016 ATL 9 218 313 69.6 2980 331.1 9.5 5 23 4 and 4 rushing td's.