Gonna go waaaaay out on a limb here...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First and foremost, I predict that we will all be amazed by improved play and production by many of our existing players when under the direction of a new HC and coaching staff on O.

New schemes, techniques, game plans will result in a "miraculous" improvement in all position groups. Many players will suddenly approach their respective ceilings.

QB
RB
Entire OL
TE
WR's

Our current HC and his staff just appear to be dysfunctional when it comes to O matters.

Merely decent coaching should raise this group from #31 to #16 ranking, I would think. That, alone, would put playoffs back on the table for next year.

Hope Britt and Quick can keep up their present trendlines. If so, that would greatly reduce our WR needs in '17. I'm encouraged by the improvement of both players this year and think both players can be productive for years to come. Particularly with a new coaching staff and if Goff turns out to be a legit franchise QB.

Gawd, I hope they can find a way to afford and keep TruJo. That would remove a very big need for '17, as well. Together with a healthy Gaines, I think we would be set at the very important CB position for years to come.

BPA all the way in '17 would then be possible. All glaring holes would have then been removed at that point. Including QB, RB, OL, CB, and S.

A draft dream scenario for a GM. Simply take BPA available at each pick for all 7 picks.

FWIW, I will make a projection of DE with our 2nd rounder. Probably gonna be best value/need match for us. DE is reportedly considered a very high quality and deep position next year. After that, who knows?

To summarize, a new HC and O coaching staff changes everything, IMO. A Saban or Urban Meyer type from the college ranks changes player and fan attitudes and expectations both profoundly and instantly. Or a highly regarded current NFL assistant, perhaps? One with perceived executive skills? We should definitely have our choice of the cream of the crop, don't you think?

Goodbye 7-9 BS!

Hello Playoffs!

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I would absolutely love to get Kyle Shannahan as our HC. Love what he's doing for Matt Ryan in his 2nd year in his scheme. If he had Goff as his franchise QB we would see an offensive explosion if he became our new HC. Just get a defensive guy to handle that side of the ball and Shannahan run the O. Hello playoffs is correct!

JackStraw

Rookie
I would absolutely love to get Kyle Shannahan as our HC.
I'm not behind replacing Fisher but if I had to to pick a current coordinator in the league it would have to be someone with HC experience like Jim Schwartz. Todd Haley or Dom Capers.
If Fisher is gone,considering we're in LA now it's not out of the realm to steal a current successful HC(Marvin Lewis? Harbaugh? Tomlin?...i'd even love Bowles ) or if wanted to dig in the graveyard and seduce someone like Cower, Coughlin,Mike Shannahan or Dungy back into the league...no thanks on all 4, would only help with public image.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Our current HC and his staff just appear to be dysfunctional when it comes to O matters.

If Fisher isn't retained at the end of this season, this ^ will be the reason.

I would absolutely love to get Kyle Shannahan as our HC. Love what he's doing for Matt Ryan in his 2nd year in his scheme. If he had Goff as his franchise QB we would see an offensive explosion if he became our new HC. Just get a defensive guy to handle that side of the ball and Shannahan run the O. Hello playoffs is correct!

If I was Kyle Shanahan or any other incoming coach with an offensive mindset, I'd call Gregg Williams immediately and ask - no, beg - him to stick around (and keep as much of his defensive staff that he wants to). The defense isn't broken. I don't want someone to fix it, and if someone is going to tinker with it, I'd prefer it be the guy who is already here. Williams has done a good job with the players he's had. He salvaged the career of Mark Barron and made him an important contributor, and for the most part (Sensebaugh being the exception), the DB's brought in under his tenure have developed and become solid contributors.

This is the thorn in the side of any coaching change - the prospect of making big changes to a defense that doesn't need them. The issues with our offense are painfully obvious. The issues with our defense are few, and when they surface, it's mostly injury related.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
David Shaw.

You don't think he's been on all those draft shows just to recruit do you?

I think he's been raising his profile around the league the right way, continuing to build his program the right way and even with diverse talent (with and without a QB of note).

Frankly, I think now he's waiting for the right job. I don't think he's waiting on a call from Cleveland.

But...LA. With a potential franchise QB in Jared Goff, the franchise RB we already have in Todd Gurley, the weapons we have in TA, Britt and Quick and the talent we already have on D including maybe the best player in the league in Aaron Donald? (I only say maybe because I think JJ Watt and AD are neck and neck when JJ's healthy)

If not David Shaw, I love what Jim Bob Cooter's done with the Lion's offense and how he's resuscitated Matt Stafford in Detroit. Just...WOW. And agree on Kyle Shanahan. I just refused to believe that Atlanta could do what they've been doing, so credit's got to go to Kyle Shanahan for helping turn around that offense and MUCH better incorporating guys like Mohammed Sanu.

In order of preference:

Jim Harbaugh (NEVER happen, but you make the offer. After what he did in SF with less talent, I'm pretty sure he could turn this team into a dynasty...so yeah. I...WE...put up with the antics if it means Lombardis)
Todd Haley (He gets bumped because he runs a Earhardt Perkins Offense in Pittsburgh which is EXACTLY what this personnel group needs, except for Quick who would be a casualty. He just doesn't process fast enough for that offense. If he's become humbled by his experience when he was the HC of AZ, then he could be just what the Dr ordered. Oh, and he knows what the culture of accountability looks like having been in Pittsburgh awhile. I like that...a LOT.)
David Shaw (as noted above)
Jim Bob Cooter (His use of Golden Taint in that offense has me dreaming of how he could use Tavon Austin)
Kyle Shanahan (The work he's done with Matty Ice is remarkable. Truly remarkable. He looks like the franchise QB they meant to draft which wasn't the case last year. That offense is also not just a "regular season offense", but one that should do well in the post-season.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Maybe it's just me, but I believe Matt Ryan has been good for years. It's the poor defense that's been holding back Atlanta.

I also think Kroenke is more of a Mike Shanahan guy, than a Kyle Shanahan guy. But then again, who really knows.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
@Mackeyser Good points with your list. My two cents...

Jim Harbaugh...
He's proven he can coach in NFL, but he has too good a gig in Ann Arbor and will not leave until he wins a couple national championships, or completely destroys the program, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Also, its easier to deal with 18-23 year old players than highly paid NFL athletes.

David Shaw... I can see him making the jump into the NFL soon. He is a great coach and I think he would be very successful at the next level.

Todd Haley...
Jim Bob Cooter...
Kyle Shanahan...

All good coordinators, in their own right, but not sure about them being a head coach at this time. We've been burned too many times hiring a coordinator seeming to be the next great coach. At this point, I would feel good if they hired any one of these guys to be our next offensive coordinator before hiring them as the next head coach. Some guys are destined to be coordinators (Martz, Linehan, Spagnuolo) but that doesn't equate to being a great head coach. Out of the 3 I listed, I would take Martz back as a head coach because I think he's had time to get away from the game and might be able to see the game from a different perspective, similar to what happened with when Vermeil came out of retirement.

JackStraw

Rookie
Jim Harbaugh will be the coach at Michigan as long as he wants. He's just got started, appears to be loving it, doing it well and keeping fans/administration/boosters happy. John Harbaugh is only Harbaugh that's going to coach in NFL again. I think a 7-9 will be enough for him to keep his spot in Ballymore - Ravens need to win AFC North in '17 for him to stay any longer.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
tree-goats.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not really out on a limb tbh. I think most fans agree with a lot of what you said there 43.

I'm in waiting mode for the new coach now for the most part. Still would like to see this team turn it on, but whatever. At this point I'm just watching players and their development and keeping an eye on those head coaches who I hope Stan is interested in.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Agreed.Anyone who at this point doesn't realize that our
current head coach is incapable of building a winner
is either in serious denial or could use a lobotomy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fuck. I took a quick nap and it's already February?

No more heavy lunches.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea I keep thinking about what Harbaugh did with the Niners. Kind of gives me hope that a new coach can come in here and we're instant super bowl contenders.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
@Mackeyser Good points with your list. My two cents...

Jim Harbaugh...
He's proven he can coach in NFL, but he has too good a gig in Ann Arbor and will not leave until he wins a couple national championships, or completely destroys the program, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Also, its easier to deal with 18-23 year old players than highly paid NFL athletes.

David Shaw... I can see him making the jump into the NFL soon. He is a great coach and I think he would be very successful at the next level.

Todd Haley...
Jim Bob Cooter...
Kyle Shanahan...

All good coordinators, in their own right, but not sure about them being a head coach at this time. We've been burned too many times hiring a coordinator seeming to be the next great coach. At this point, I would feel good if they hired any one of these guys to be our next offensive coordinator before hiring them as the next head coach. Some guys are destined to be coordinators (Martz, Linehan, Spagnuolo) but that doesn't equate to being a great head coach. Out of the 3 I listed, I would take Martz back as a head coach because I think he's had time to get away from the game and might be able to see the game from a different perspective, similar to what happened with when Vermeil came out of retirement.

Well, remember, Todd Haley was the HC of the Cards before Wisenhunt, iirc. And he was a royal...well, you know...pain in the butt. But he's rehabbed himself as the OC in Pitt.

The thing I'd forgotten about Todd Haley that's vaulted him to the top of my "possible" list...because as we've both mentioned, Jim Harbaugh isn't leaving Ann Arbor short of being kidnapped, is that Todd Haley runs the EP offense...which would suit Goff PERFECTLY.

Moreover, I'm sorry, but Gurley is just a WAY better receiver than this coaching staff gives him credit for being. If I had a RB that could catch like him, he'd have as many routes as the WRs if not more. I'd be using him like Marshall even if Gurley runs more like Eddie George. He's still the best receiving back we have...and that included Cunningham. Yeah...I said it.

So yeah, the "viable, possible" list would be pretty short.

Todd Haley
David Shaw
Jim Bob Cooter
Kyle Shanahan

The other thing about Haley that might work is that because he's been an HC before and failed (almost a prereq for being successful, it seems...failing for awhile in the old days or failing at your first stop these days...see Belichick in Cleveland... and let me just say that if they'd just stayed in Cleveland with THAT coaching staff and those players??? HOLY CRAP. THAT woulda been a damned dynasty... Freakin' city can't catch a break... but I digress)

I still really like Shaw and he's not just a coordinator, but he's been a HC at the college level for awhile and he really seems to be studying what it's going to take to get his first stop right. That's what it took to make Stanford a football powerhouse. Which, if you thought about that 30 years ago, was kinda a joke. Now, they're in the hunt every year...against schools where the term "student/athlete" is debated on whether it's more of a sarcastic joke or a full on oxymoron.

I look forward and I look at the potential these men bring with their ideas and I'm very enthusiastic.

I look at what Fisher's coaching staff brings...even if everything goes right...and at BEST...I'm cautiously optimistic, but not fully emotionally invested, because I feel like I know better. I feel like I already KNOW Fisher, know his patterns, his predispositions and his tendencies which are so defined as to be nearly etched in stone. For this supposed gambler, he's as predictable as a stoplight with his behaviors.

The only thing I've gotten wrong thus far was once they drafted Goff, I thought they'd just give him the job. That wasn't Fisher being un-Fisher. That was me not stepping back and reading the Fisher bio.

The faith...she is losing. I root for de boys who play de football, but de mans with de headphones....he make a me crazy...

I'm just ready for a change at the HC position. The only question now is how many years we have to wait before that happens and if that affects Goff's development in a negative way.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
First and foremost, I predict that we will all be amazed by improved play and production by many of our existing players when under the direction of a new HC and coaching staff on O.

New schemes, techniques, game plans will result in a "miraculous" improvement in all position groups. Many players will suddenly approach their respective ceilings.

QB
RB
Entire OL
TE
WR's

Merely decent coaching should raise this group from #31 to #16 ranking, I would think. That, alone, would put playoffs back on the table for next year.

Hope Britt and Quick can keep up their present trendlines. If so, that would greatly reduce our WR needs in '17. I'm encouraged by the improvement of both players this year and think both players can be productive for years to come. Particularly with a new coaching staff and if Goff turns out to be a legit franchise QB.

Gawd, I hope they can find a way to afford and keep TruJo. That would remove a very big need for '17, as well. Together with a healthy Gaines, I think we would be set at the very important CB position for years to come.

BPA all the way in '17 would then be possible. All glaring holes would have then been removed at that point. Including QB, RB, OL, CB, and S.

A draft dream scenario for a GM. Simply take BPA available at each pick for all 7 picks.

FWIW, I will make a projection of DE with our 2nd rounder. Probably gonna be best value/need match for us. DE is reportedly considered a very high quality and deep position next year. After that, who knows?

To summarize, a new HC and O coaching staff changes everything, IMO. A Saban or Urban Meyer type from the college ranks changes player and fan attitudes and expectations both profoundly and instantly. Or a highly regarded current NFL assistant, perhaps? One with perceived executive skills? We should definitely have our choice of the cream of the crop, don't you think?

Goodbye 7-9 BS!

Hello Playoffs!

I'm going to predict you are going to have a long unhappy period waiting for this to happen.

JackStraw

Rookie
Todd Haley's only HC gig was in KC
He was OC for Wisenhunt in AZ prior to that.

You guys realize if Fisher is gone Tru is 100% outta here as well. I'm not sure any other coaches were scouting Tru while playing at Montana. Fisher was in right place at right time. There will be other casualties if Fisher is dismissed. Players like being on teams that they know the coach believes in them. New coach sounds cool and all but is it worth losing our already lackluster depth?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
You're right, my bad. OOOH!!! that's right!!! how could I forget!!!

He was the knucklehead who wanted to convert Glenn Dorsey, a prototypical 4-3 DT into a NT...I'll stop there. the memories are flooding back.

I'm trying to be over that because of how he's seemed to figure things out in Pittsburgh...INCLUDING not being that world class...um...knucklehead...that he was in KC.

And I realize that Tru may go with Fisher, but...Tru may be gone anyway??? Remember, we have to sign AD and his contract is gonna be the richest in the NFL.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Todd Haley's only HC gig was in KC
He was OC for Wisenhunt in AZ prior to that.

You guys realize if Fisher is gone Tru is 100% outta here as well. I'm not sure any other coaches were scouting Tru while playing at Montana. Fisher was in right place at right time. There will be other casualties if Fisher is dismissed. Players like being on teams that they know the coach believes in them. New coach sounds cool and all but is it worth losing our already lackluster depth?

You say we have lackluster depth, well my question to you would be who created this problem? Also, I don't buy your argument that Tru is 100% gone if Fisher is gone. If Tru helps the team win he will stay regardless of the head coach. The real issue for Tru staying after 2016 is if the Rams are willing to pay him as a top corner? I don't think he is a top corner, but I think he's going to ask for big money which I'm not sure the Rams are willing to pay. I also believe he is a Fisher favorite, and it didn't hurt that he played with Brandon at Montana. So Fisher got to see quite a bit of him during his college days. One other thing to consider is his injury history. It seems every year he's out, for a period of time, due to injury. You just can't have your top corner spending considerable time on the sidelines injured.

If losing with Fisher continues, a change will be made. I don't think anyone could really argue Fisher is a bad guy, but if he can't get this team turned around in the right direction, and very soon, Kroenke will be forced to remove him which will lead to casualties with the coaching staff and even some players. He is not about to pee pee away a two plus billion dollar investment by continuing to put a crappy team on the field in the 2nd largest sports market in the U.S. Personally, I like Fisher, but I'm just not sure he is going to turn things around anytime soon.

JackStraw

Rookie
You're right, my bad. OOOH!!! that's right!!! how could I forget!!!

He was the knucklehead who wanted to convert Glenn Dorsey, a prototypical 4-3 DT into a NT...I'll stop there. the memories are flooding back.

I'm trying to be over that because of how he's seemed to figure things out in Pittsburgh...INCLUDING not being that world class...um...knucklehead...that he was in KC.

And I realize that Tru may go with Fisher, but...Tru may be gone anyway??? Remember, we have to sign AD and his contract is gonna be the richest in the NFL.
I hope I didn't come off as some trivia nazi dope. It just didn't look right and I had to look it up.

You should check out how Snoop Dogg felt about Todd Haley back in '14
You're either going to find it hilarious or disturbing. I think it's pretty much the kind of things players say about their coaches behind their backs:flanders:

You're right about Tru I'd say he's 50/50 if FIsh is coach and 10/90 if Fisher is gone. I generally don't push for FA additions but I think Ram's must address their CB need next year. A vet. Just to hold the spot for a future star to be drafted later?? The future scares me. Just going to hope whatever hit our D takes our offense matches it in the other direction?