Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Thread title changed to reflect this months version of subject discussed in older threads which could be found and bumped using the SEARCH function.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thread title changed to reflect this months version of subject discussed in older threads which could be found and bumped using the SEARCH function.
You can't hold down the people who just want to be negative. Unfortunately for some it's easier for them and more comfortable for them to see and discuss the negatives than to do the same for the positives.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams pass protection has been pretty solid.
It has....it's been worse...but it appeared adequate. I'm more concerned about the run blocking. 2-3 seconds is all a passing play really needs.
it's ridiculous to assume a QB should hold onto that ball without tucking it/getting another hand on it, etc.
Most QB's try to hold the ball with 2 hands when scanning the field. And a lot of QB's have been hit as hard or harder and have held onto the ball.

turnovers are huge....one was a fumble...the other was a pick. No matter how terrible the protection was ( and several have said it was decent on that drive), you can't fumble there....3rd and 2 at the 8 yard line. Get rid of it...and definitely hold onto the ball.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Have we moved to a public beta, or are we still operating on Alpha? Just want to make sure I submit my bug reports correctly.

Here's report number one: Attached you'll find my feelings towards Wentz:

Seriously, I don't give a fuck about Wentz, about the Eagles, about Philadelphia or Pennsylvania in general. Wentz isn't the type of QB built for a McVay offense, and I'd rather Goff and McVay than Wentz and Fisher.

Fuck that boring ass offense, and fuck Wentz. Dude was garbage outside of his first 3 games. People forget that Wentz was one of the worst QB's in the league outside of his hot start.

You wanna talk about turnovers? Goff had a total of 7 interceptions and 5 fumbles, losing 2 of them to the other team.

Wentz had a total of 14 interceptions and 14 fumbles with 3 of them going to the other team.

14 mother fucking fumbles.

But tell me more about how Goff can't hang onto the football. Meanwhile Ginger Jesus over there in the land of steak and cheese coughs up the football like he's allergic to it.

Fuck Carson Wentz and fuck this comparison bullshit. We got a QB that fits in our coaches system perfectly, instead of a QB that fits in our previous offensive challenged coaches system perfectly.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Most QB's try to hold the ball with 2 hands when scanning the field. And a lot of QB's have been hit as hard or harder and have held onto the ball.

Goff was winding up to throw, his right hand was about halfway through the windup and his left hand was forward off of the football. Show me someone who throws a football with two hands and I'll show you someone that doesn't know how to play football.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Show me someone who throws a football with two hands and I'll show you someone that doesn't know how to play football.
Did he throw the football?

You know....most QB's are TAUGHT to keep both hands on the ball....up by the ear...so the release is quicker. Just a quick flip...Guys that have a wind-up are discouraged from doing this....slows delivery...and of course it lengthens the amount of time that you don't have two hands on the ball...We were at the 8 yard line...not much of a wind up was needed to get the ball downfield.

Show me someone that defends a QB that turns the ball over twice in the 1st quarter...once in the redzone....I'll show you someone that has every excuse for losing football imagined in the world.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let this SUCKER DIE!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just for conversation sake I wonder who McVay would've taken with last year's #1 pick . I have no clue but I thought it might be worth asking .

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Really don't understand why there is continued discussion of Goff vs. Wentz. Right, wrong or indifferent, Goff is our QB, and nothing is going to change this in the near future. It's unbelievable if anyone believes that through 7 games, of the 2016 season, and 3 quarters of the 2017 preseason has determined whether Goff is a bust. He is going to be a work in progress this season. McVay, and the rest of the offensive staff, needs time to get this offense turned around, as well as, see if they can get him to the level needed to be a successful NFL QB. Until then, the media and fans need to cut him some slack. He plays the most difficult position, so it's going to take time to learn, which includes making mistakes, and yes, causing some turnovers. This is going to be a roller coaster season where we see the good, the bad and the ugly of Goff. I'm ready for the ride.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Did he throw the football?

You know....most QB's are TAUGHT to keep both hands on the ball....up by the ear...so the release is quicker. Just a quick flip...Guys that have a wind-up are discouraged from doing this....slows delivery...and of course it lengthens the amount of time that you don't have two hands on the ball...We were at the 8 yard line...not much of a wind up was needed to get the ball downfield.

Show me someone that defends a QB that turns the ball over twice in the 1st quarter...once in the redzone....I'll show you someone that has every excuse for losing football imagined in the world.

He was in the process of throwing it, he had two hands on the ball and then he went to throw it and that's when he was hit. When he had one ball on his hands, while he was in the process of throwing it. Goff has a very fast release, faster than Tom Brady, who holds and releases the ball almost identically to Goff does, but I guess he's not a very good QB either then.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just for conversation sake I wonder who McVay would've taken with last year's #1 pick . I have no clue but I thought it might be worth asking .

If it's between Goff or Wentz, likely Goff. He's a better fit for his system. Goff was compared to Matt Ryan, and Matt Ryan is the same type of system that McVay uses, hence why Atlanta had some Washington folks, and why he grabbed their QB coach to be our Offensive Coordinator.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
How is Goff supposed to see that coming when he's reading the other side of the field? Havenstein needs to not get beat immediately.

As for Goff's clock, he's not going to be able to win there. The play where Woods was open for a TD is an example of a play where Goff decided to not to hold the ball and risk a negative play. He started off reading the left side of the field, nothing was there, and opted to throw the ball away instead of continuing to move across the field. This caused him to miss an open Woods on the other side of the field. Earlier in the game, he held it, scanned the field, and found Woods. But had he been sacked on the play, I can only imagine people would have criticized him for holding it too long.

The kid can't win. He didn't hold the ball too long on the sack. He was gearing up to throw it almost immediately after coming out of his drop when Bosa ripped it out. Bosa just beat Hav too quickly.

If he holds the ball, he risks a sack. If he throws it away, he risks missing an open WR by not scanning the entire field. And he's going to get raked over the coals for either one.

It's the preseason. Goff is still the youngest starting QB in the NFL. He's going to make mistakes. I'd rather he learn from them now. But I'm not sure how people expect him to prevent the Bosa sack.

I hate that I have to spend so much time defending the kid, especially in the preseason. I should probably just save my energy for the regular season because Goff isn't going to be perfect this year. And the first bad game he has, I already know what's coming.
I think maybe you are a bit over invested. No sense in defending every criticism of a player just because you like the kid. He has flaws like any other player. For me, the scariest part is how slow he looks. Mannion too for that matter. Maybe it's just me. Hope it is.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He was in the process of throwing it, he had two hands on the ball and then he went to throw it and that's when he was hit. When he had one ball on his hands, while he was in the process of throwing it. Goff has a very fast release, faster than Tom Brady, who holds and releases the ball almost identically to Goff does, but I guess he's not a very good QB either then.
LOL....he was in the process? If his hand is going forward,it's incomplete...It was in his hand....and his hand wasn't moving...and it was knocked out. He should have had two hands on the ball....moved up in the pocket...after feeling the pressure/rush. That's what QB's do.

bluecoconuts

Legend
LOL....he was in the process? If his hand is going forward,it's incomplete...It was in his hand....and his hand wasn't moving...and it was knocked out. He should have had two hands on the ball....moved up in the pocket...after feeling the pressure/rush. That's what QB's do.

.... Have you seen the play? He's clearly in the process of throwing the ball, he gets hit at almost the exact second he begins his windup, again, there isn't a QB in the league who's hanging onto that ball. In fact looking at the play again in slow motion I'm not even going to fault Goff for not seeing him anymore, he was clearly in Goff's blind spot.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Everett was a strange player.
His feet were never good. Threw with a weird side step, away from the target a lot.
He had some good years in New Orleans after the Rams.
Don't forget Everett is the Rams " All-Time Passing Leader" He went:
* 1847 of 3277 Attempts
* For 23,758 yards
* and had 142 TD's

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Have you seen the play? He's clearly in the process of throwing the ball, he gets hit at almost the exact second he begins his windup, again, there isn't a QB in the league who's hanging onto that ball. In fact looking at the play again in slow motion I'm not even going to fault Goff for not seeing him anymore, he was clearly in Goff's blind spot.
Briefly.....I was so pissed...my buddies laughing at me so loud....I didn't watch it as close as I was seething....3rd and 2 at the 8...and he takes a strip sack....and it was from his RIGHT side...not some mysterious blind side. From a 2nd year player (Bosa)....vs a player that so many keep defending (Havenstein)....and while his block was shit...the reaction to the pressure was shit too.
We shouldn't be going thru this....everyone on here saw the line....everyone SAW Havenstein...some foolishly blamed some mysterious injury...yet another guy with a year long injury was released as soon as the new staff arrived. Havenstein isn't going to all of a sudden become better...I don't care how smart he is...he doesn't have the ability to play tackle in the pros...he's just too damn slow.
Read some statements again about how these coaches know "more" than us fans...I still remember Hammers posts...basically telling us fans what the coaches won't. Maybe the coaches lie???

I don't believe he was hit...Bosa reached out...snatched the ball down...QB's got to feel that....and get 2 hands on it as he goes by....Havenstein has got to be replaced. Brown too. No way to evaluate a young QB with that type of pressure from one on one pass pro.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

@LACHAMP46 @bluecoconuts
The fumble, the 2nd replay shows it all. From what I see is that Bosa hit the ball out right before Goff attempts to pass the ball. It looks like Goff had both hands on the ball until the last second when he goes to pass, and it's (un)perfectly timed with Bosa.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
On the fumble I'll say this after watching several times.

Should Goff have held on to the ball? Not many will hang onto the ball when a defender gets a perfect hit on it like Bosa did. He didn't even really hit Goff as much as fall into him after smacking the ball out. Goff was just cocking to throw and only had one hand on it which is how a football is thrown. Should he have seen him coming? Well...........

We can discuss that because when you watch the play in real time and slow motion Bosa looks like he should be in Goffs peripheral vision and Goff had plenty of room to step up/climb the pocket. He did have his head slightly turned left but still I think that's within most peoples peripheral vision. So it's either his helmet needs to be altered to provide a more open view, or he may below average peripheral vision. I think it may be his vision.

If you look at the passes prior to that play his feet are excellent, his pocket awareness is really excellent too. So is his delivery. On the pass to Brown for the nice gain and a first down he was agile and kept his eyes downfield.

I don't see anything to freak out about in his performance last night. Two turnovers isn't good, but only the INT was on him. He is learning, the dude just finished puberty for fucks sake.