“Go Ahead and Overlook Them” - Rich Eisen on the Rams’ Dominant Win vs Pats

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
This Rams team is still ascending. I don’t think they will peak until next year but the defense is steps away from the summit. With that said if they continue to get more consistent in the run game and take care of the ball I like their chances to win the NFC this year. But one game at a time. As long as they play to their potential and continue to adjust to their opponents I am a happy Rams fan this year. I will expect more next year though. Enjoy the ride Rams family!!!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Many posters here thought our O-line was gonna suck. Can we have a crow buffet please? Enough for around 50 people.

I will have a very small bite of crow.
I didn't think our O-line would suck, I just felt like McVays offense requires an above average O-line to be successful and when the best player on that line is older than the Head Coach, that's a risky basket to put all of our eggs in.
Its worked out though and I have no complaints about how the Rams went about it.

I am not as high on our lines play this year as some others are though. They played very well early but for several weeks they struggled to win the LOS in the run game and their pass protection and low sack numbers are product of McVays short passing game. Goff is still hit on a lot of dropbacks or has to move up to avoid the rush when he should be throwing. If we did ask Goff to stand back there and throw, and let opposing D's get after our QB, I doubt anyone would be celebrating their great pass protection. They are a lot like our QB actually. Capable of being very good, just inconsistent at times.
Makes sense when you consider their age and experience.

They played very well against the Pats and as a unit they have exceeded my expectations, although I don't want to end up in another game like Buffalo without Whitworth back at LT.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I think Cam Akers changed our whole equation Thurs. Feels like when we got CJ Anderson.

Cam was good but the blocking was better. Most of the holes he got long runs on would've been similar with Brown and Hendy. It's the games (Niners, Bucs) where there are no holes that breed concern.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I will have a very small bite of crow.
I didn't think our O-line would suck, I just felt like McVays offense requires an above average O-line to be successful and when the best player on that line is older than the Head Coach, that's a risky basket to put all of our eggs in.
Its worked out though and I have no complaints about how the Rams went about it.

I am not as high on our lines play this year as some others are though. They played very well early but for several weeks they struggled to win the LOS in the run game and their pass protection and low sack numbers are product of McVays short passing game. Goff is still hit on a lot of dropbacks or has to move up to avoid the rush when he should be throwing. If we did ask Goff to stand back there and throw, and let opposing D's get after our QB, I doubt anyone would be celebrating their great pass protection. They are a lot like our QB actually. Capable of being very good, just inconsistent at times.
Makes sense when you consider their age and experience.

They played very well against the Pats and as a unit they have exceeded my expectations, although I don't want to end up in another game like Buffalo without Whitworth back at LT.

this post is well reasoned and valuable. There are times each lineman has struggled but collectively they've been a positive unit. The good news is that they won't have to face the fearsome Ram defense. It's the New Orleans defensive front that scares me on the horizon. Our hope is that McVay handles their front similarly to the Bears game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agree. The media and even some of us here thought the Rams were rebuilding. Had to many holes, to many question marks. Not enough 1st round draft picks. How can they have so much dead cap money and be even competitive.
What people are just waking up to, is there is more than one way to build a team and sustain success. Remember how much was made of McVay not playing his starters? Who was right on that? The Rams! Now who is right on dumping Gurley and Cooks and not drafting Oline and Linebackers? The Rams! People don't like things done different until they work. Now?

I am glad to eat crow on this teams success. My preseason prediction was 6-8 wins. I figured we'd likely see Allen and Noteboom on the interior of the line most of the season. I also didn't think Staley could get this defense playing at such a high level so quickly. I thought he'd have some retooling this off season to fill the holes and get better fits for what he wants to do. He really is a great defensive coordinator and being able to tailor the scheme to fit the roster is the sign of true greatness. I grew up on the great Rams defenses of the 70's. I am absolutely loving how this defense is playing.

I was down on Henderson from what little I saw of him last year. I wasn't a huge Akers fan based on stuff I read on here and other sites before the draft. They have both been very good along with Havs bounce back from injury, Corbett and Edwards developing, and Whit still playing at a high level.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Many posters here thought our O-line was gonna suck. Can we have a crow buffet please? Enough for around 50 people.

I was one of them. Never a problem earing crow. They have a good Oline. Its not great but good enough. I like what I'm seeing from Edwards and Corbett. Havenstein has returned to form and Whitworth is not showing signs of decline. So overall they've been pretty good. Blythe still isn't great and Joe can't run block but its much better than last year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I am glad to eat crow on this teams success. My preseason prediction was 6-8 wins. I figured we'd likely see Allen and Noteboom on the interior of the line most of the season. I also didn't think Staley could get this defense playing at such a high level so quickly. I thought he'd have some retooling this off season to fill the holes and get better fits for what he wants to do. He really is a great defensive coordinator and being able to tailor the scheme to fit the roster is the sign of true greatness. I grew up on the great Rams defenses of the 70's. I am absolutely loving how this defense is playing.

I was down on Henderson from what little I saw of him last year. I wasn't a huge Akers fan based on stuff I read on here and other sites before the draft. They have both been very good along with Havs bounce back from injury, Corbett and Edwards developing, and Whit still playing at a high level.
It is good to have strong opinions. Without them this board would suck.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was one of them. Never a problem earing crow. They have a good Oline. Its not great but good enough. I like what I'm seeing from Edwards and Corbett. Havenstein has returned to form and Whitworth is not showing signs of decline. So overall they've been pretty good. Blythe still isn't great and Joe can't run block but its much better than last year.
What I am seeing is an overall team concept involving the players responsible for the run blocking.... it's not just the OL or a LOS TE it's every Ram player who does not have the ball in his hands ...that is responsible for the blocking. Woods & Kupp or Reyolds are just as important as Corbett or Edwards.

This future Offense has a very good chance in 2021 to remain close to what it is at this moment in time. The defense has some issues @ corner & ER.

QB- Goff/ Wolford/ Perkins
RB- Akers/ Henderson/ Jones/ Calais
TE- Higbee/ Mundt/ Blanton/ Hopkins
WR- Woods/ Jackson
WR- Jefferson/ Koski
Sl- Kupp/ Webster
LT- Whitworth/ Noteboom
LG- Edwards/ Anchrum
OC- Allen/ Shelton
RG- Corbett/ Brewer/ Demby
RT- Havenstein/ Evans

DT- Brockers/ Robinson/ Copeland
NT- Joesph-Day/ Gaines/ Hoecht
DT- Donald/ Banks/ Williams
ER- Hollins/ Lawler/ Patrick
LB- Kiser/ Reeder/ Rozeboom
LB- Young/ Howard/ Moncrief
ER- Okoronkwo/ Lewis
CB- Long/ Deayon
CB- Williams/ VACANT
NK- Ramsey/ VACANT
SS- Rapp/ Reed/ Gervase/ Hughes
FS- Fuller/ Burgess/ Scott/

dang

Legend
At a minimum Id like to see Fox and Johnson back on defense. If Whit doesn’t come back I’d like Blythe to return with an eye on drafting his replacement.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Wanted give this it's own thread, Because this is the first time I have heard someone
talk about the Rams after a big win, instead of What is wrong with Russell or what's wrong with Brady
or Cam, Patriots or who the fuck ever we beat.
This is about what is Right about the Rams.

View: https://youtu.be/a3sICyq_Dpw

He’s right, of course.

All of it, including the focus on the other teams that lose to the Rams.

Its not the other’s failure, the Rams caused that failure.
They’re going to do that all the way to the Super Bowl

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I agree with Rich Eisen, I'm still holding my breath that the Rams will sustain the necessary focus going forward. As dominant as the score was, it didn't feel satisfying until the fourth quarter. I know this is a very good team...it just feels vulnerable.

The only time I feel the Rams are vulnerable is when McVay forgets how good of a run game he has,
and wants to run too many empty sets.

If McVay attacks opposing teams, similarly as he did the Patriots, we are going far.
Take those reigns off Akers and Let Him Roll!!!

This team can Run the ball with conviction and play defense all the way through the NFC.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This game was a clear example of the coaching staff scheming for their opponent. Sean wasn't going to get caught running 3 WR and 1 TE the whole game again. He came out with 2 TEs and had multiple positions pulling as lead blockers. Felt like they did an excellent job identifying and attacking NE's weaknesses. Can they keep up that level of preparation and execution in the playoffs?

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
This game was a clear example of the coaching staff scheming for their opponent. Sean wasn't going to get caught running 3 WR and 1 TE the whole game again. He came out with 2 TEs and had multiple positions pulling as lead blockers. Felt like they did an excellent job identifying and attacking NE's weaknesses. Can they keep up that level of preparation and execution in the playoffs?
If only mcvay did that in the sb.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams are sneaky good. I've been saying it all season that if they simply play a clean game, i.e. no turnovers and no crucial penalties they are good enough to beat anyone including KC. Look how well they have played running QBs. Mahomes is on a whole new level, but this defense knows how to contain.

The offense is still evolving and McVay and O'Connell still need to learn how to seamlessly stitch all the elements together. McVay has learned a very important lesson. He now sees how he must break his own tendencies. I've been saying it all year that his offense has gone stale and predictable. Most of all he abandons the run too quickly, even when he's having success.

As good as this team is this year, IMO it can be better next year by simply getting rid of dead weight and looking very closely at who they already have on their PS. Normally I'm pretty blase about PS players. But the Rams have some very good players on the PS who can really help fill out this team.

This team is not a one year thing. Snead has really loaded this roster and PS for the long term.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He’s right, of course.

All of it, including the focus on the other teams that lose to the Rams.

Its not the other’s failure, the Rams caused that failure.
They’re going to do that all the way to the Super Bowl

He's right.

And as Cowherd put it, the Rams have lost to two AFC East playoff teams in Buffalo and Miami on their fields... and got swept by the 9ers (wretch) who for some reason are a freaking matchup nightmare for us, even if they're suiting up guys off the street.

That's it. And our D is really, really coming together.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What I am seeing is an overall team concept involving the players responsible for the run blocking.... it's not just the OL or a LOS TE it's every Ram player who does not have the ball in his hands ...that is responsible for the blocking. Woods & Kupp or Reyolds are just as important as Corbett or Edwards.

This future Offense has a very good chance in 2021 to remain close to what it is at this moment in time. The defense has some issues @ corner & ER.

QB- Goff/ Wolford/ Perkins
RB- Akers/ Henderson/ Jones/ Calais
TE- Higbee/ Mundt/ Blanton/ Hopkins
WR- Woods/ Jackson
WR- Jefferson/ Koski
Sl- Kupp/ Webster
LT- Whitworth/ Noteboom
LG- Edwards/ Anchrum
OC- Allen/ Shelton
RG- Corbett/ Brewer/ Demby
RT- Havenstein/ Evans

DT- Brockers/ Robinson/ Copeland
NT- Joesph-Day/ Gaines/ Hoecht
DT- Donald/ Banks/ Williams
ER- Hollins/ Lawler/ Patrick
LB- Kiser/ Reeder/ Rozeboom
LB- Young/ Howard/ Moncrief
ER- Okoronkwo/ Lewis
CB- Long/ Deayon
CB- Williams/ VACANT
NK- Ramsey/ VACANT
SS- Rapp/ Reed/ Gervase/ Hughes
FS- Fuller/ Burgess/ Scott/

Yes the receivers and Tight ends make a huge difference. Maybe if we had Steven Jackson or Gurley in their prime they wouldn’t be as necessary, but with lighter RBs it’s a must.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I'd have to seriously question the judgement of anybody who didn't think it likely would again. But glad I got it wrong!
I disagree with your statement. The fact that your judgement was wrong means your were ignoring other factors that were just as reasonable, and to say, yeah but I was right to think that and everyone else should be suspect for not thinking that, is insulting.
Look, we saw a big turn around with Goff and the Oline when Mcvay got here. FO did add Whit and Sully, but it was a big turnaround and we all had had doubts. I chocked it up to great coaching. In 2019 the Oline was very young but many people gave up on them. Didn't account for any player improvement or adjustment by the Coaching staff, even though we all saw it as 2019 progressed. The FO and coaching staff on the other hand thought different. I wasn't sure but was optimistic that the FO and coaches new what they were doing based off of their history to this point. So I think you should reassess. But I was glad you were wrong as well.