FRS NEWSReport: Former Rams coaches blame Gurley for his 2016 struggles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Excellent the coach who made this statement just did more to motivate somebody than they did all last season...Gurley has to share some of the blame, but I watched every game this season and I put the blame on everyone upfront and I'm anxious to see the rebuilt offensive line and I'm anxious to draft Todd Gurley in fantasy as everyone else will pass on him just like they did on DeMarco Murray this season.
giphy.gif

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
While the offensive scheme was bad Gurley did nothing to show the praise he had coming out or the spark he had in his first few games. He went down with weak arm tackles, his vision stunk and he looked disinterested. Hearing that he missed most of the offseason activities makes it look like he was to busy living it up in Hollywood and not putting in enough time at his day job.

A guy praised as the next Peterson should be able to produce even in that crappy offense, he just didn't get it done, and I saw zero times of him looking beastly.

2017 will be time for him to man up or get on down the road.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Gurley didn't play to his abilities this season, but it's not like he was the lone standout as an under performer on the offense.

"Fired coach from league worst offense calls out player"

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I still have hope for TG30 but he is most certainly not the same player with or without the terrible coaching and play around him. He lacked decisiveness, explosion, timing and the vision he had as a rookie. I bet he implements a more stringent off season program and hope that the new staff treat him like every other 3rd year RB in training camp and let him build the needed timing etc....that comes from real action. I believe keeping him away from contact. a poor start and lack of diversity on O just put him in a bad place and he could not overcome it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still have hope for TG30 but he is most certainly not the same player with or without the terrible coaching and play around him. He lacked decisiveness, explosion, timing and the vision he had as a rookie. I bet he implements a more stringent off season program and hope that the new staff treat him like every other 3rd year RB in training camp and let him build the needed timing etc....that comes from real action. I believe keeping him away from contact. a poor start and lack of diversity on O just put him in a bad place and he could not overcome it.

"Nobody better touch number 30".

I wonder if this approach messed with Gurley's head. Did he get a big head and feel like he didn't need to push as hard in training camp? And when the real hitting began in the 1st game, predominantly in the backfield, was he totally unprepared and did it mess with his head even more?

I hope Mcvay works him hard during camp.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This may be an unpopular position, but Benny Cunningham Jr. is much better than Todd Gurley.

Yep, it's definitely an unpopular opinion. I also think it doesn't jive with your opinions on Goff.

Scirca

Rookie
Yep, it's definitely an unpopular opinion. I also think it doesn't jive with your opinions on Goff.

What does that have to do with Goff, I was never high on Todd Gurley III in the first place. He showed weakness and a quitter attitude. He looked horrible this season, and I'm being generous.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What does that have to do with Goff, I was never high on Todd Gurley III in the first place. He showed weakness and a quitter attitude. He looked horrible this season, and I'm being generous.

That's exactly the problem. You weren't high on Gurley, so you refuse to extend him the same benefit of the doubt. You refuse to make the same excuses for him as you do for Goff.

I never saw weakness or a quitter attitude. I saw a guy getting screwed by terrible OL play, a horrible scheme, and poor play-calling. Interesting...sounds a lot like the things screwing Goff over...

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I still have hope and faith in Gurley. With that said, if we had a top 10 puck, I wouldn't hesitate to draft Fournette.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still have hope and faith in Gurley. With that said, if we had a top 10 puck, I wouldn't hesitate to draft Fournette.

That's totally silly to me. You'd find that Fournette would prove equally as inept at producing when the blocking simply isn't there.

If we had a top 10 pick, I'd use it to address one of the problem areas of this team. But we don't have one, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
That's totally silly to me. You'd find that Fournette would prove equally as inept at producing when the blocking simply isn't there.

If we had a top 10 pick, I'd use it to address one of the problem areas of this team. But we don't have one, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

What would Leonard Fournette look like running behind last years Rams O-Line?

Vaf9ZXk.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think NFL defenses figured out how to stop the Rams offense, meant stopping Gurley...Sure he did things wrong this year, but a big part of that struggle was the frustration of an ineffective pass game, and an Oline that couldn't do jack to open lanes for him.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
While the offensive scheme was bad Gurley did nothing to show the praise he had coming out or the spark he had in his first few games. He went down with weak arm tackles, his vision stunk and he looked disinterested. Hearing that he missed most of the offseason activities makes it look like he was to busy living it up in Hollywood and not putting in enough time at his day job.

A guy praised as the next Peterson should be able to produce even in that crappy offense, he just didn't get it done, and I saw zero times of him looking beastly.

2017 will be time for him to man up or get on down the road.

Regardless. Once a RB always a RB. What happened to the fundamentals? It should have been instilled at that point. It was a WTF 2016 season for Gurley. Hope changes happen.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
What would Leonard Fournette look like running behind last years Rams O-Line?

Vaf9ZXk.gif

Lol I'd be okay with going down on a blindside hit. Especially when I watched our runningback get arm tackled going one on one with a db.

…..

Legend
Didn't all of Gurley's big games except one come before Boras took over in late '15?

This talk seems to prove the saying that any time you point fingers, there are three pointing back at you. That offense was a mess no matter who was running or passing or.............. Maybe they didn't give the staff mirrors to look into.

McVay's first official order as Commode In Chief..."Put all the mirrors back up"

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought this the entire year. It was the same damn scheme with basically the same damn line. It was him. He got cocky and lazy and not playing in preseason was a mistake. He better pick it the hell up this year.