FRS NEWSReport: Former Rams coaches blame Gurley for his 2016 struggles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm sure Gurley shares some of the blame, as there were times he seemed to make bad running decisions. That being said, it's laughable for any former coaches to call him out when their coaching was unbelievably bad. Do they not remember the first game of the season where the pre-snap motion blatantly telegraphed where the plays were going?

It's purely conjecture on my part, by I'm betting this is coming from either Fisher or Boras to cover for their own incompetence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FRS NEWS
Report: Former Rams coaches blame Gurley for his 2016 struggles

Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley took a massive step back from his outstanding rookie campaign this past season, and the former coaching staff says it stems from Gurley himself.

According to Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole, the coaching staff said, “It’s the same [offense] he was in as a rookie. You tell me the difference.”

There’re a lot of factors to point at from the common fan’s view. One can blame the Rams’ poor offensive line and its inability to pave holes for Gurley to run through (cc: Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys and the complete opposite). There was also a blip in the passing game and quarterback swaps that hindered any offensive chemistry, and more so the inefficiency of being able to run without a complementary passing game only hampered Gurley’s production.

Apparently there’s little room for excuses here.

Cole noted that Gurley “missed most of the team’s offseason program to take part in off-field activities, such as hanging out with rapper Jay-Z, whose agency represents Gurley.”

The second-year back out of Georgia played in only 13 games in 2015 and managed to surpass the 1,000-yard mark thanks to 4.8 yards per carry, and 10 touchdowns to go along with it. This past season, he appeared in all 16 and fell shy of 1,000 as he compiled 885 yards on 278 attempts (3.2 yards per rush) with four fewer touchdowns.

2016 was a truly dismal season for the Rams, who won only four games. With change aplenty amid the coaching staff, the new faces can only hope there’s change in their’s running back’s game come 2017.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'll reserve judgment until Gurley plays with our new coaching staff under McVay. I'm still leaning towards how laughably bad Fisher/Boras operated the offense though

WestCoastRam

Legend
Gurley regressed this last year. He was speeding into the line, showing no patience, his vision was atrocious (like a completely different back) missing holes and cutback lanes. Our oline was horrendous but so was he.

Not too mention, the lack of reverses and jet-sweeps on every other play meant that he had to deal with far more LBs crashing down on running plays. That offense in 2015 may have made him appear a more competent RB than he actually was.

My guess, how good he can be is somewhere in the middle if he puts in the work in the offseason and camp.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Didn't all of Gurley's big games except one come before Boras took over in late '15?

This talk seems to prove the saying that any time you point fingers, there are three pointing back at you. That offense was a mess no matter who was running or passing or.............. Maybe they didn't give the staff mirrors to look into.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Switch to Boras never helped Gurley, so patently false even though I don't believe this Jason Cole source is legit.

Jason Cole should be banned from the internet. He is sooo bad. He had video report last week with a headline that said three teams are interested in DeSean Jackson. I clicked on the video not only does he not name the three teams he basically just reported a google search of the redskins situation. I don't know how many times I have to say this Jason Cole is a CLOWN.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it was even said by a coach, it's a coach who is unwilling to take responsibility for his own failures.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol somebody mad about the middle school offense reference

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Ya it was the same unimaginative, predictable offense that teams figured out about 4 games into Gurley's rookie season. Except somehow the play calling got worse. There was no flow to it and the Rams never set plays up for later. They stop running as much with Tavon too. Gurley certainly deserves some of the blame but if a coach did say this I can only laugh and be that much happier that they're gone.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He does deserve some of the blame, but to say he should have done as well as last year because it was the same offense is ridiculous. Our offense, or lack thereof , didn't fool anyone.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I laugh at Jason Cole reports.

With that said all parties were at fault. The coaching staff, Gurley, and the entire offense.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Didn't all of Gurley's big games except one come before Boras took over in late '15?

This talk seems to prove the saying that any time you point fingers, there are three pointing back at you. That offense was a mess no matter who was running or passing or.............. Maybe they didn't give the staff mirrors to look into.

So maybe Cignetti wasn't the problem? Boras and Fisher had it out for him?

EastRam

Pro Bowler
If its true that he missed most of the off season workouts.

Then it doesnt speak well of his work habits. Maybe he will be more motivated this season.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I stopped reading when I got to the part about being written by Jason Cole. Guy has no credibility, nor does he have sources. He makes shit up to get clicks, and is wrong every time his fat mouth predicts something. Guy should be unemployed by now.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not pointing fingers at any player on offense because they really didn't have much of an offense to work with. Once a real offense is installed this season we'll find out who can do what.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Even if this report is false "The Fans Noticed"

I remember reading several reports/opinions from ROD and other message boards early in the 2016 season.

Things like...

Gurley said he some how lost weight in the off-season and fans wrote maybe he wasn't breaking tackles at the rate he was in 2015 because of this. (he would go down many times with one arm slap tackles)

Fans said maybe his head got big hearing/reading all of the 2016 preseason hype about him.

He went from a hungry humble kid fighting back from ACL adversity to a big city Los Angeles Icon.

He was Fisher's godson (untouchable) and fell in love with the Hollywood commercial Jay-Z lifestyle etc.

How much of these examples are true or played a part in his decline are worth speculating about.

There was a noticeable difference for many with the eyeball test in his 2016 individual performance of power and balance to break tackles, explosion in his running stride, along with his field vision and instincts to read the blocking from his offensive line.

Some remember that Gurley did regress in the second half of 2015 (weeks 9 through 16) but he still showed his tackle breaking power and 0-60 mph explosion once he got into the open field.
(WK13 4.6 YPC, WK14 8.8 YPC, WK16 4.4 YPC) still had some good games in the second half of 2015.

Many of us probably think Gurley should bulk back up 10-15 lbs and train this off-season with the same hunger he did coming back from the ACL injury.

Nobody knows for certain if this will guarantee a breakout season in 2017 but we can speculate that what ever path he chooses to take this off-season, could very likely determine where his Head and Heart are for the long term success of his career.

main-qimg-a3e228285adfc0ac4c1c005bb1789333-c

jared-goff-of-the-los-angeles-rams-hands-the-ball-off-to-todd-gurley-picture-id627666486

Scirca

Rookie
This may be an unpopular position, but Benny Cunningham Jr. is much better than Todd Gurley.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I stopped reading when I got to the part about being written by Jason Cole. Guy has no credibility, nor does he have sources. He makes crap up to get clicks, and is wrong every time his fat mouth predicts something. Guy should be unemployed by now.
Exactly. But does BR pay these guys for real? I find it hard to believe they pay these nipple dicked retards to type the drivel they do. If this is the case I have a good shot of being a analyst for them!

I'll just steal opinions and posts from ROD and call them my 'source'! :yess:

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
This may be an unpopular position, but Benny Cunningham Jr. is much better than Todd Gurley.
Physically, Gurley has the tools to be a top RB. I have said many times that Gurley was not the same player he was in 2015. He didn't show his 'star' abilities this season and I got flak for it. Gurley needs to come in this 2017 offseason and focus on himself as a player. LA probably got to his head a little bit. He has a lot to prove and I'm not sure if he's the RB we all thought he was. McVay's offense should tell the tale.