First Three Drives of the Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stump23

Rookie
Thanks for some partial truths here...I am going to watch the game now...but...this is telling..

McVay put the game in the #1 overall pick....Early....To set the tone...and the guy that a bunch of people keep attacking me in here for dropped the ball in the big game...again....doesn't win the big games...doesn't compete well against the best competition....Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere for several years....Cooper drops a couple punts I'm reading....PICK him up....move the ball...nope....

I'll just say this....Trailer....plain and simple...good player...Matt Ryan-ish...probably needs several years to get the nuances of the offense down like Ryan did...still not guaranteed to have such a golden opportunity to win it all.......and the silly reliance's on Kupp and Higbee and you got Sammy freaking Watkins on the damn field....attack this all you want Ole school....he didn't LOSE the game...but he didn't get us started either...it gave the opponent hope...confidence...and it eventually gave us a LOSS. And, the reason I continue to revisit this...we could have had a Tractor...a guy that can over come mistakes...looks for and FINDS the correct targets...IN BIG GAMES....

You gotta score TD's early in the playoffs....#1 scoring offense huh....and some of yall wanna get rid of Watkins?:shocking:

I'm gonna go watch now...probably come in here for a few minutes to reply to my east coast Ram brethren....and debate what should be obvious to most....you need great players in the playoffs to win...not good....we've had good before and lost just like this...better team....at home....

We won in the playoffs when we had a great QB...Kurt Warner.

Champ, you have to acknowledge the special teams gaffs tonight. also, agreed with the fact that we have a young qb and coach. that said, we had every opp to win tonight. needed to run more and not up the gut. once we did that, everyone knew we were passing.....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This “trailer” BS is beyond tired. It’s dumber than QBR and about as painful to read or hear about. I don’t think it’s possible to find the words to properly convey how much I hate that BS take. Couple that with how stunningly wrong it is and, well, you see my dilemma.

Moreover, after our last season under Fisher, I was truly saddened by our poor season and seeing our players and fans have to endure that dumpster fire. Calling that not only didn’t give me any pleasure, I suffered along with every other Ram fan after every loss.

You seem thrilled about our misfortune as if that’s validation.

It’s not. Not remotely.

And the timing of this “I told you so” even though you’re just plain wrong about Goff is gratuitous, self-serving, and divisive.

I could really tear apart that nonsense take, but I’m just gonna go watch Bright on Netflix and come back tomorrow.

Trailer... I can’t even...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay put the game in the #1 overall pick....Early....To set the tone...and the guy that a bunch of people keep attacking me in here for dropped the ball in the big game...again....doesn't win the big games...doesn't compete well against the best competition....Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere for several years....Cooper drops a couple punts I'm reading....PICK him up....move the ball...nope....

I think that's an oversimplification Champ. Which is why don't like that groupthink with trying to lay everything on the playcalling, but trying to make it about the QB is just as bad IMO.

There are a bunch of reasons why they didn't win tonight. The defense was the biggest reason, it got exposed once Brockers went down. But we also got lack of execution all over the place, in all three phases, by the players, and it's hard for a QB to shine when that happens. Note that Goff deserves criticism too, I think he was uncharacteristically inaccurate and missed some open receivers that could have been big plays. It wasn't on the coaches completely, but I do think they shared in the loss to include McVay as well.

Lastly, the Falcons kicked some @$$ too, which is part of the reason behind the lack of execution. The other team can win too.

What the Rams need to do is fix their effin defense. With better defensive play in stuffing their run game that score would have been so tight that I have zero doubt the Rams would have found a way to win the game and nobody would be talking about any of this stuff. Because they could not handle our rush in the passing game. We gotta get Wade some more pieces and if they do that the Rams will be runnin the effin table next year.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Falcons did not establish the run in the 1st half.... got a lead then started pounding and if Ogletree makes that 3rd down tackle on the opening 2nd half drive, might be a diff 2nd half.
Oh my that missed tackle stung .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You can play that game in every way imaginable, questioning playcalling. Bottom line is the Rams didn't execute well enough on offense or teams, and the defense got gassed. And the Falcons played well, had a great plan, and ate that clock up along with taking advantage of Brock bein out. Ballgame.

Them's the playoffs man.

I did see The Rams get stuffed a couple plays , but McVay talked all week about Falcons speed.

When Gurley got The Rams 60 yards downfield on 2 plays shows how dominant the Left Side is on Offense.

Falcons established the run first. Turn overs were huge. Goff got sacked in one of the first 3 possessions after a nice Gurley gain.

Was that a sack Goff took when Gurley left the game after those Gaines ? Predictable.
Malcom Brown almost got the first down on 3rd.
The Pass interference on last play with Sammy ?
False start at end of half ?

The question was if The Rams played Goff,Gurley,Sullivan, & Whitworth is the offense rusty ? Play Calling ?

Kevin Petterson has to come up with that fumble.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This “trailer” BS is beyond tired. It’s dumber than QBR and about as painful to read or hear about. I don’t think it’s possible to find the words to properly convey how much I hate that BS take. Couple that with how stunningly wrong it is and, well, you see my dilemma.

Moreover, after our last season under Fisher, I was truly saddened by our poor season and seeing our players and fans have to endure that dumpster fire. Calling that not only didn’t give me any pleasure, I suffered along with every other Ram fan after every loss.

You seem thrilled about our misfortune as if that’s validation.

It’s not. Not remotely.

And the timing of this “I told you so” even though you’re just plain wrong about Goff is gratuitous, self-serving, and divisive.

I could really tear apart that nonsense take, but I’m just gonna go watch Bright on Netflix and come back tomorrow.

Trailer... I can’t even...
I had no doubt we would see a ton of posts from a few people on here who relish when things go poorly for the Rams. I see very little from them after wins. Lose, and it's troll time baby. All day. Is what it is. I think I may kick the tires on that ignore feature. Maybe take it for a spin.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Opening play Gurley gets 4 on the ground. Two incomplete passes followed. Punt.

Next drive, Gurley gets 8 on first down on the ground. Two incomplete passes followed. Punt.

Third drive, Gurley caught a pass on first for 3 yards. Two incomplete passes followed. Punt.

McVay is a HELLUVA coach, and we are lucky to have him. But he’s gotta learn. His inability to either establish the run or stick with the run cost us most of the games we lost this year.
I have to disagree, Gurley had 14 rushing attempts and was Targeted 10 times in the passing game!

You can play that game in every way imaginable, questioning playcalling. Bottom line is the Rams didn't execute well enough on offense or teams, and the defense got gassed. And the Falcons played well, had a great plan, and ate that clock up along with taking advantage of Brock bein out. Ballgame.

Them's the playoffs man.
Time of possession was definitely a Killer! In the first 18 minutes the Rams had the Ball just over 3 minutes! And at the end of the game Atlanta had the Ball a total of 37:35 and the Rams had it 22:25! Definitely a Big factor!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Where were the checkdowns to Gurley all evening? Gurley has to be our workhorse like he was all season long.
I believe both McVay and our OC need to improve the playcalling. McVay will learn. He's a fantastic HC, one of the best in the game. But he is partially to blame for tonight's heartbreaking loss. Let's get em' next year, Sean!
He dropped several of them and Goff missed on a few. On seven targets Gurley had one catch.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't forget the first 15 or so plays are scripted. I don't know how much he deviates from the plan, but I think McVay probably stuck to that script the first three drives. If the plays aren't working, he's at least using the script to see what defensive looks the Falcons are giving and what he can attack later.

Sure we made some bad plays but ultimately it was the turnovers that sunk us. Rams 2 Falcons 0.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks for some partial truths here...I am going to watch the game now...but...this is telling..

I'll just say this....Trailer....plain and simple...good player...Matt Ryan-ish...probably needs several years to get the nuances of the offense down like Ryan did...still not guaranteed to have such a golden opportunity to win it all.......and the silly reliance's on Kupp and Higbee and you got Sammy freaking Watkins on the damn field....attack this all you want Ole school....he didn't LOSE the game...but he didn't get us started either...it gave the opponent hope...confidence...and it eventually gave us a LOSS. And, the reason I continue to revisit this...we could have had a Tractor...a guy that can over come mistakes...looks for and FINDS the correct targets...IN BIG GAMES....

You gotta score TD's early in the playoffs....#1 scoring offense huh....and some of yall wanna get rid of Watkins?:shocking:

I'm gonna go watch now...probably come in here for a few minutes to reply to my east coast Ram brethren....and debate what should be obvious to most....you need great players in the playoffs to win...not good....we've had good before and lost just like this...better team....at home....

Did you just say you hadn't watched the game, and then offered an analysis? Or are you watching it again?

That aside, and this isn't an attack, but...

I'm not quite sure why you're so boisterous after a loss, and so inconvenienced to share in everyone's joy after a victory. Are you ashamed of being wrong on micro-levels when they win, and equally as proud to be right when they lose? Excuse me if this seems out of line, but it appears you're more into your ego than the team. I mean, what are you trying to gain here by tearing down Goff, Kupp and Higbee straight after a loss? What's the point? Because it isn't for the sake of analysis.

Watkins had his opportunities, but he also failed to capitalized on a few of them. One major one too that could have pulled us to within 6 with under 2 minutes remaining and a time-out in the holster. Sure, long shot, but still. Is this the *big catch in big games* trait you're touting? Or was it just a drop that he'd like to have back?

View: https://youtu.be/4LH9WcT-YKU

Secondly, stop with the tractor/trailer nonsense please. "Tractors" don't risk injury by selling out their bodies late in the season for the sake of doing it all themselves. A "tractor" knows how to be smart and live to play another day. "Trailers" also don't throw for 3800 yards with 28 TDs/7 ints and a 100 QB Rating. Especially if you consider how horrible his receivers are according to your analysis. Both the tractor and trailer you speak of had one (1) game-winning drive and 4th qtr comeback this year. You know, in case that's the metric you're using. Average yard per attempts? The tractor had an 8.3. The trailer, and 8.5. Sack %? The trailer's was lower. Completion percentage? The trailer's was higher. And again ... with those receivers? How the? Inconceivable. Tractors find the open man in big games? That's what you said? What happened to this tractor here (below)? And what would you say if the trailer did this? \

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9WKiw5v7s

I'm gonna go watch now...probably come in here for a few minutes to reply to my east coast Ram brethren....and debate what should be obvious to most.
Looking forward to it. Because you've just turned me from a Goff fan to a Goff defender.
Thanks, in advance, for wasting the next 15 years of my life.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78

The tractor you’re referring too is on crutches and will rehab an acl this offseason because he wants to be an athletic qb.

Goff is a very good qb. By any statistical metric a top 8 qb who was chosen as a pro bowl alternate.

People always forget. This is his first season in this system. First time with McVay and with these receivers other than maybe higbee. He’s now started 23 meaningful games, which is nothing.

Saying all that, this wasn’t a good game from him. He hardly embarrassed himself. He ripped some very nice throws especially the TD pass and some 3rd and Longs. His butterfinger TE dropped a TD pass that would have made things interesting.

Lot of reasons for loss. Disappointing. Rams didn’t play well, not the team we saw all year.

Interesting time to pile on Goff.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

Them's the playoffs man.

I'm not even mad the Rams lost, but that was some seriously poor play calling on those first three drives. You can play devil's advocate all you want, but you can't seriously tell me those would have been the plays you would have called if you were in charge.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The tractor you’re referring too is on crutches and will rehab an acl this offseason because he wants to be an athletic qb.

Goff is a very good qb. By any statistical metric a top 8 qb who was chosen as a pro bowl alternate.
Yes he is....on crutches...Team still in it though on the back of his hard work this season...pulling them to the #2 seeding.

I watched another Tractor yesterday last night too....Marcus Marriota....doing anything it takes to win...Pretty reckless with his body...running around...blocking...even catching passes and diving into the endzone...running, athletic QB...cause he wants to win at all costs and has the ability.

Goff was horrible last night...off all game in my opinion....any tight throw was batted away. Probably did most of his work in a meaningless 4th quarter when the Falcons were playing looser coverage.

Pro bowl is a popularity contest...he probably wouldn't be going if said tractor wasn't on crutches either.
Saying all that, this wasn’t a good game from him. He hardly embarrassed himself. He ripped some very nice throws especially the TD pass and some 3rd and Longs. His butterfinger TE dropped a TD pass that would have made things interesting.

Lot of reasons for loss. Disappointing. Rams didn’t play well, not the team we saw all year.

Interesting time to pile on Goff.
I thought he made some nice passes as well....out of 45 throws you should make about 4 or 5 nice throws.....Most of his completions were poor passes...behind runners....low...seemed like he had trouble with the speed of the Atlanta defense.
I'm not piling on....same things I've said all season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
McVay has a nasty habit of abandoning the run when he gets nervous. He's gotta shake that. When we stuck with the run, Gurley was looking great. When we abandoned it, our offense stalled. The Falcons' DBs were covering well all night. Goff was having to make a lot of tough throws. McVay could have really helped Goff out by riding Gurley like he knew he should have. I don't know what he was thinking.

I used to say Martz called plays like a desperate blackjack player. Meaning doubling up on bets in order to try to recover losses.

McVay has a little of that in him and he needs to adjust and be patient.

Would have been nice if they ran Tavon in motion to help keep the defenders honest in the running game, but I'm not sure he even took the field.

I don't think he did, and that's silly because the jet sweep is an excellent play in this O.

#1 scoring offense in NFL...

McVay is just not a ground and pound coach

Doesn't need to be ground and pound, but running 16 times versus 48 pass plays is not smart when you have Todd Gurley at your disposal. It makes no sense.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
haha your tractor has a flat champ. that shit is just getting old. you don't even watch the games live and come up with some BS. I use to like your posts but they are tired and uninformed. you have your opinion and that's fine but come on

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Would have been nice if they ran Tavon in motion to help keep the defenders honest in the running game, but I'm not sure he even took the field.
I don't think he did, and that's silly because the jet sweep is an excellent play in this O.
Screenshot_1.png

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Did you just say you hadn't watched the game, and then offered an analysis? Or are you watching it again?

That aside, and this isn't an attack, but...

I'm not quite sure why you're so boisterous after a loss, and so inconvenienced to share in everyone's joy after a victory. Are you ashamed of being wrong on micro-levels when they win, and equally as proud to be right when they lose? Excuse me if this seems out of line, but it appears you're more into your ego than the team. I mean, what are you trying to gain here by tearing down Goff, Kupp and Higbee straight after a loss? What's the point? Because it isn't for the sake of analysis.

Watkins had his opportunities, but he also failed to capitalized on a few of them. One major one too that could have pulled us to within 6 with under 2 minutes remaining and a time-out in the holster. Sure, long shot, but still. Is this the *big catch in big games* trait you're touting? Or was it just a drop that he'd like to have back?
I commented on the OP's original statement of the first three drives...on just the outcomes....when you allow the QB to pass, with a Todd Gurley in the backfield, you are basically putting the initial 3 drives in his hands....

And, I've seen those drives now...so, it's a moot point...

Terrible screen throw to Gurley....terrible throw after avoiding pressure...
3rd drive was after the turnover....penalty for 5 yards...Gurley run for a first down...then 3 bad plays...

I didn't tear Kupp and Higbee down...I stated what I thought was obvious for 17 weeks...those guys AREN'T game changers...they're complementary pieces...Watkins is the stud. So is Gurley.

I visit the site on my availability....I'll have to leave today...and won't be able to comment until later....I haven't been able to comment as often as usual.

Watkins was given some opportunities..maybe he could have caught them...maybe...but he didn't....My point....the 20 passes targeted to Kupp last night...for 5 catches...for 20 yards...didn't help....ok, I kid.....but seriously, 3 or 4 players caught passes last night...two guys were targeted about 25 times....and Watkins gets 4 passes, 3 late in the game...and everyone acts like his missed opportunities prove he's not a #1 wr...shouldn't be re-signed...that was a tough catch....give him the 15 targets of Mister Kupp, were probably talking in a celebration thread.

Too me, this has a Marshawn Lynch on the goal line in the superbowl feel....our best players are not being allowed to win games.

I'm gonna be all over mister Goff in several replies...in fact....I'll comment below
Secondly, stop with the tractor/trailer nonsense please. "Tractors" don't risk injury by selling out their bodies late in the season for the sake of doing it all themselves. A "tractor" knows how to be smart and live to play another day. "Trailers" also don't throw for 3800 yards with 28 TDs/7 ints and a 100 QB Rating. Especially if you consider how horrible his receivers are according to your analysis. Both the tractor and trailer you speak of had one (1) game-winning drive and 4th qtr comeback this year. You know, in case that's the metric you're using. Average yard per attempts? The tractor had an 8.3. The trailer, and 8.5. Sack %? The trailer's was lower. Completion percentage? The trailer's was higher. And again ... with those receivers? How the? Inconceivable. Tractors find the open man in big games? That's what you said? What happened to this tractor here (below)? And what would you say if the trailer did this? \
Trailer....never won a big game against a tough team....ever...maybe New Orleans...Maybe the Seahawks....those were pretty big....but consistently in tough games...this guy loses. The Jags game was won by the defense...but for the sake of this argument...lets say NO and Seahawks were tough games...he played pretty well.

As far as picking a team...up on his back...when the going gets tough...I don't see it...

As far as your stats....Avg yard per attempt...there is a better stat...it measures air yards...the distance a completion travels in the air....IDK how Jared fared in that one....but looking at his passes...from memory...I saw a bunch of short passes that turned into huge gains....looking at last night...many of his passes that had to travel any distance were batted/tipped away...most were poorly placed...like Sammy's passes...

Trailer....player that needs a team behind him to win in the big moments....Tractor...player that can elevate his team to victory...in the biggest of moments.

Woods is a good wr...not a number 1. Watkins is a very good wr. Every pass he dropped was heavily contested....which is a defended pass...not a drop.
Looking forward to it. Because you've just turned me from a Goff fan to a Goff defender.
Defend all you want...he played terrible last night...Pharoh Cooper and Goff were the major reasons for the defeat.
Don't waste your time, life, or energy on a average player....bunch of Alex Smith fans are doing the same thing...and Alex is much better than Goff.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Yes he is....on crutches...Team still in it though on the back of his hard work this season...pulling them to the #2 seeding.

I watched another Tractor yesterday last night too....Marcus Marriota....doing anything it takes to win...Pretty reckless with his body...running around...blocking...even catching passes and diving into the endzone...running, athletic QB...cause he wants to win at all costs and has the ability.

Goff was horrible last night...off all game in my opinion....any tight throw was batted away. Probably did most of his work in a meaningless 4th quarter when the Falcons were playing looser coverage.

Pro bowl is a popularity contest...he probably wouldn't be going if said tractor wasn't on crutches either.

I thought he made some nice passes as well....out of 45 throws you should make about 4 or 5 nice throws.....Most of his completions were poor passes...behind runners....low...seemed like he had trouble with the speed of the Atlanta defense.
I'm not piling on....same things I've said all season.

100 QB rating, 4:1 TD/INT ratio, 62% completion, 3800 yards in 15 games, QB of lead leading offense in points scored. Must be something from a guy making lousy throws behind runners all year and not in tune with the speed of the game. Perhaps Goff was throwing to Julio Jones and Antonio Brown all year making him look good? No, it was possession receiver Robert Woods and a 3rd round pick out of Eastern Washington who were his leading WRs. And the stellar Tyler Higbee at TE, game breaker for sure.

Maybe Goff's just a young QB, not close to his peak both mentally and physically who is on an upward trajectory with a bright future. Who had an up down first pro playoff start.

QB is not an issue I'm concerned with here.