Chargers to LA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
After all the empty seats and poor TV ratings in the Rams first year back in LA, why is the NFL so hellbent on two teams in the city? Why not get one to be successful and take root in the area before shoving two in there. Plus there are other cities worthy of having a team if the league doesn't deem San Diego worthy.

I don't think the NFL itself is hellbent on it ... but Spanos is hellbent on getting his team playing in a new stadium that he doesn't have to pay for. But of course, he's willing to drop over $500 billion on a relocation fee. Go figure.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I don't think the NFL itself is hellbent on it ... but Spanos is hellbent on getting his team playing in a new stadium that he doesn't have to pay for. But of course, he's willing to drop over $500 billion on a relocation fee. Go figure.

$500 Billion should be in blue font...

FRO

Legend
It's bull. The league or owners clearly don't care about the fans. That's why ratings dropped and should continue to.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I believe it is a good thing for Rams fans. This move puts more revenue into the LA Stadium AND applies more pressure to the Rams to field a competitive team or risk losing business to Chargers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but sports teams owners should build their own stadiums with their own dime. A place for them to play is a part of the cost of owning a team and I'll never change my mind on this.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
I believe it is a good thing for Rams fans. This move puts more revenue into the LA Stadium AND applies more pressure to the Rams to field a competitive team or risk losing business to Chargers.
Kroenke wins either way. If he cannot field a competitive team with the Rams, at least he will make money off of the Chargers.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Boo, boo that news. I wanted the Rams logo at the 50, I'll never forgive the Chargers for this.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoping for a miracle to stop this. I do think the owners are going to lean hard on Spanos to stay put, but I just don't know how hard they can lean.

What I find insane is that Spanos can come up with over half a billion $$ to pay a relocation fee, but can't put that toward a stadium. That may not be enough to build something like Stan's Taj Mahal, but that along with the fund the NFL would provide should be enough to build a quality stadium.

This is what I havent understood. San Diego is willing to contribute some to a stadium. Spanos is raising a fit over a disagreement on the terms of said stadium. To which he will alienate his fans over them only willing to pay...what...400 million when he wants 600 million? But then he's willing to pay more than the difference in relocation fees - to pay a lease in LA? I think I'm missing something.....

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
So how so way the NFL wants to keep an NFL team in the San Diego market for Super Bowl's. I'm sure the NFL will come up w/ the difference of funds too keep the bolts in SD

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
After all the empty seats and poor TV ratings in the Rams first year back in LA, why is the NFL so hellbent on two teams in the city? Why not get one to be successful and take root in the area before shoving two in there. Plus there are other cities worthy of having a team if the league doesn't deem San Diego worthy.

I don't quite get the remark about empty seats? I went to every game this year and it was a pretty robust turnout. Even down the home stretch. Yeah..... the typical seats emptied out as expected during the blowouts, but other than that...the attendance looked pretty decent to me. Especially compared to what I remember from the Anaheim days. According to this site, they were #2 in avg attendance.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...ague-teams-ranked-by-average-attendance-2013/

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Having 2 teams in LA is what the NFL wanted and they have it now.
Spanos made the only move he could and it was the correct one. His team greatly increased in value, will generate more revenue and revenue streams in the future. And it also means more money for the Rams.
And all he has to do is put a team on someone else's field and count stacks.
Spanos had the final say but the decision was made my his bean counters. NFL is a business not a sport.

Spanos is worth around 900 Mil to 1.1 Bil. but some of that I think is leveraged. He might not have a fat enough roll to cover his share of a new stadium in SD. A new stadium in reality was going to at least 1.2 Bil. in SD figuring in over runs. It was just a pipe dream.
The 500 mil relocation fee is taken out of his share of revenues from the league over a number of years so all he's facing is reduced income but little out of pocket. That's win.
Next 2 years they play at Stubhub and that will be cozy. Now all he needs s a fan base that can at least fill that.

As Rams fan what do we care who moves in?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

A couple of reasons:

1) Ownership has its privileges -- as the stadium owner, he'd get a piece of the action on every revenue source on the property (parking, concessions, luxury suites, etc). Only the ticket sales revenues would go into the NFL sharing pool -- all those other revenue streams go straight to the owner. I'm pretty sure Jerry Jones isn't kicking himself and thinking "I should have rented".

2) There's no guarantee that he'll make more money in Los Angeles -- the Chargers played one season in LA, as a member of the upstart AFL...all the way back in 1960. Moving to LA and trying to cultivate a fan base with the Rams already back is a bigger gamble than Spanos and his lackies would care to admit. That $500 million will probably be better spent on remaining the only game in town in San Diego, rather than being second banana in LA.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This is where the NFL officially jumps the shark. In consecutive season, they will have relocated THREE teams, leaving THREE long time devoted fan bases with their dicks in their hand. Fuck the NFL and fuck these owners.

fonzie3.gif

fonziejumpsshark3sl.gif

fonziejumpsshark5sl.gif

FRO

Legend
I don't quite get the remark about empty seats? I went to every game this year and it was a pretty robust turnout. Even down the home stretch. Yeah..... the typical seats emptied out as expected during the blowouts, but other than that...the attendance looked pretty decent to me. Especially compared to what I remember from the Anaheim days. According to this site, they were #2 in avg attendance.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...ague-teams-ranked-by-average-attendance-2013/
Lots of empty seats in the last few games.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Keep in mind that at this point,

THIS IS ALL PROCEDURAL.

The Chargers have the right of first refusal as per Kroenke's deal to be able to move in the first place.

Spanos is merely locking out the Raiders and keeping the LA option on the table.

They have to do this because the Raiders have zero options currently to stay in Oakland and the league just concluded a meeting about Oakland.

It's still possible they move, but if they do, I expect it to be ugly...

Psycho_X

Legend
freaking retarded. Fix your own damn stadium before you start moving cities. And maybe put a half way decent product on the field and you might get more of a crowd to show up. freak off, NFL.

Yep, the NFL is doing its best to alienate me. I am really not liking any decision they make lately. All about the $ at the expense of the fans. Eventually, that'll bite them in the ass if they keep it up... more so than empty stadiums.

I'd laugh if Kroenke told them to find their own stadium.

It was part of the deal when the Rams moved that Kroenke must share his stadium and LA with either the Chargers or the Raiders if either chose to move. There's nothing he can do unless he wanted to build Spanos a stadium in San Diego also.

Kroenke wins either way. If he cannot field a competitive team with the Rams, at least he will make money off of the Chargers.

And sadly, I think he's fine with that. I'd argue that motivation to win in LA is actually less for him than it was in St. Louis because he'll make his cash regardless of the record. It makes me jealous of Packer fans.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While I would love for the Rams to be the only LA team, my wife is a Chargers fan, and we travel to LA 2-3 times a year. Would be great for both of us to pick up some Rams/Chargers gear together.