Carson Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well it's ironic that Cook might be there for us now, given his passing on the Senior Bowl. Gotta admit that is a big concern for me, makes me wonder if the guy is as much a tool and as disliked by his teammates as some of the rumors have suggested.

Really sucks, but then again I don't think the Rams will be content to sit at 15 if they put a proper priority on the QB position anyway. Move up is a near certainty for us, unless Fish plans on rolling the dice and going BPA in the first and taking a flyer on a second tier QB in round 2.

People say the same thing year after year and I don't see it. Didn't consider it a major concern when Mariota passed. Don't consider it as a major concern now. I have zero questions about Cook as a competitor. And NFL teams have more than enough information on Cook as a person and a leader...and will get more information during the process.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
People say the same thing year after year and I don't see it. Didn't consider it a major concern when Mariota passed. Don't consider it as a major concern now. I have zero questions about Cook as a competitor. And NFL teams have more than enough information on Cook as a person and a leader...and will get more information during the process.

Two different players. Mariota was a boy scout, and did not have negative comparisons to Cutler flying around. The Senior Bowl would have been a great chance for Cook to demonstrate coachability in a practice environment and to interact with his teammates and show some leadership.

Here's a recent quote that demonstrates what I'm talkin about:

“Off the field, there are some real questions,” McShay said. “It’s amazing. Everyone (NFL scout) I talk to, whether it was the fact that he was not a captain, just the way he carries himself, it’s a little bit of the (Chicago Bears QB) Jay Cutler, where it just kind of turns people off.”

I'm with you that he's a legit first round talent. But that other stuff does matter to teams when you're talking whether they see him as a long term franchise solution.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two different players. Mariota was a boy scout, and did not have negative comparisons to Cutler flying around. The Senior Bowl would have been a great chance for Cook to demonstrate coachability in a practice environment and to interact with his teammates and show some leadership.

Mariota was a boy scout coming out of a spread option offense who had something to prove in regards to his ability to run a NFL offense. What Cook did that week wouldn't have mattered if NFL teams had numerous bad reports about his character. They'd assume he was faking it. And if the character concerns are way overblown then it's all irrelevant. Playing in the Senior Bowl wasn't going to answer that question.

Here's a recent quote that demonstrates what I'm talkin about:

“Off the field, there are some real questions,” McShay said. “It’s amazing. Everyone (NFL scout) I talk to, whether it was the fact that he was not a captain, just the way he carries himself, it’s a little bit of the (Chicago Bears QB) Jay Cutler, where it just kind of turns people off.”

I'm with you that he's a legit first round talent. But that other stuff does matter to teams when you're talking whether they see him as a long term franchise solution.

I've never had an issue with Jay Cutler. You go to work, put the time and effort in, and don't cause problems off the field...I don't care if you have shitty body language and douchey facial expressions.

I'd take a young Jay Cutler on this team in a millisecond.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'd be calling Baltimore already at #6 and trying to put the framework of a deal together. I'd love to sneak in front of the Niners and grab a QB right in front of them. I think you give up a 2 and 6 to get it done. If you love the guy I won't die if you have to give up a 2 and a 4. You'd still have a 2,3,4 and I always like the UFA haul under Snisher. Under the latter you have a 2,3 and 6, but most important you got your QB of the future and didn't give up a 1st next year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd be calling Baltimore already at #6 and trying to put the framework of a deal together. I'd love to sneak in front of the Niners and grab a QB right in front of them. I think you give up a 2 and 6 to get it done. If you love the guy I won't die if you have to give up a 2 and a 4. You'd still have a 2,3,4 and I always like the UFA haul under Snisher. Under the latter you have a 2,3 and 6, but most important you got your QB of the future and didn't give up a 1st next year.

If Baltimore would make that trade, I'd definitely go for that. Putting us at #6 would have us in a position where we are very likely to have a shot to get at least one of Goff, Lynch,or Wenz. I can't see all three of those guys being gone by #6, although anything is possible.

I'd also poke around with Dallas - it would be a way to gauge their intentions. For that matter, also talk to San Diego - I don't think they'll draft a QB that high with Rivers still around, but getting us to #3 would put us in great shape.

That being said, I'm hoping Bradford signs with Cleveland!!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Knowing Snead's history of getting good value from his trades, I'm not too concerned about our draft position of getting Wentz. The only thing stopping him is Fisher being content on riding the pine with Keenum, Mannion, and Foles.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Knowing Snead's history of getting good value from his trades, I'm not too concerned about our draft position of getting Wentz. The only thing stopping him is Fisher being content on riding the pine with Keenum, Mannion, and Foles.
I think Fisher would be giddy over a guy like Wentz.
Big, Strong, mobile. Sounds very much like McNair.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

After watching that Championship game, I am very leary of Wentz as a high first round selection. His down field accuracy is terrible. He hit two or three sweet sideline out routes but anything deep was way off target. I know he missed time with his wrist and maybe that was the reason, but if that is his usual deep ball, count me out altogether.

I really think Lynch is the guy. If the Rams trade up that is who they target. Goff is probably a Brown already.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mariota was a boy scout coming out of a spread option offense who had something to prove in regards to his ability to run a NFL offense. What Cook did that week wouldn't have mattered if NFL teams had numerous bad reports about his character. They'd assume he was faking it. And if the character concerns are way overblown then it's all irrelevant. Playing in the Senior Bowl wasn't going to answer that question.

I think you are underestimating the impact of the Senior Bowl practice week. It has an enormous impact on teams to get a chance to witness the player in that environment, to actually know some things through that association.

Also when it comes to player personality type stuff it's not always black and white, you know that. Let's not act like it's either he has numerous bad reports or none at all. All it would take for him to benefit is to have some stuff that is corroborated that gives a team pause. It's that simple.

I like the fact that Cook played in that offense, I love that he came back for his senior year, and I like his overall performance and body of work. But right now with him sitting out that opportunity I am not certain I'd take him there at 15. I don't want a Jay Cutler. I want a perennial pro bowl QB who will ensure many years of sustained high performance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you are underestimating the impact of the Senior Bowl practice week. It has an enormous impact on teams to get a chance to witness the player in that environment, to actually know some things through that association.

Also when it comes to player personality type stuff it's not always black and white, you know that. Let's not act like it's either he has numerous bad reports or none at all. All it would take for him to benefit is to have some stuff that is corroborated that gives a team pause. It's that simple.

I like the fact that Cook played in that offense, I love that he came back for his senior year, and I like his overall performance and body of work. But right now with him sitting out that opportunity I am not certain I'd take him there at 15. I don't want a Jay Cutler. I want a perennial pro bowl QB who will ensure many years of sustained high performance.

Well, I'll take a Jay Cutler over the garbage we have now. Your odds of getting a perennial pro bowl QB at #15 aren't high.

Let's also not act like Cook won't have plenty of opportunities after the Senior Bowl to address the character concerns. Ultimately, him passing on the Senior Bowl doesn't affect my evaluation. He simply passed up an opportunity to improve his evaluation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 absolutely re odds of getting a perennial pro bowl QB at 15 not being high. This is why they need to trade up and I think we can both agree on that. I'm Goff or bust like I believe you are, but at this point I'd be very happy with Wentz or Lynch.

Fish cannot afford to screw this up. He needs to find a way to get the QB he is most certain will succeed, even if it means giving up future picks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 absolutely re odds of getting a perennial pro bowl QB at 15 not being high. This is why they need to trade up and I think we can both agree on that. I'm Goff or bust like I believe you are, but at this point I'd be very happy with Wentz or Lynch.

Fish cannot afford to screw this up. He needs to find a way to get the QB he is most certain will succeed, even if it means giving up future picks.

I agree about getting Goff. But I don't think all hope is lost with Cook. Like I said last year when there was talk of us trading for him, Jay Cutler is a good enough QB to win a Super Bowl with. Is that ideal? No. But it's better than what we have. Not every team gets to have a Big Ben or Rodgers or Brady, unfortunately.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Wentz has been my first choice for quite a while. Not my highest rated QB, but my first choice for us. Of course, I was assuming two would go before him and I didn't want to have to trade up!

Wentz is my 1st choice, then Lynch followed by Goff. So w/ that said we need to move heaven and earth to get us to the sweet spot land either one. I say do whatever it takes to move up too #1.

To Tenn 15, 44,46 & 2017 1st

To LA 1st pick 2016 and Draft Carson Wentz & boom goes the dynamite!!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Wentz is my 1st choice, then Lynch followed by Goff. So w/ that said we need to move heaven and earth to get us to the sweet spot land either one. I say do whatever it takes to move up too #1.

To Tenn 15, 44,46 & 2017 1st

To LA 1st pick 2016 and Draft Carson Wentz & boom goes the dynamite!!!
Wentz will not go in the top 5. Moving up to #1 to draft him is overkill and not a good idea in my opinion. I would only do that for Goff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I've started watching more of these QB's and I still like Goff, but I definitely like what I've seen from Wentz over Cook. I'm just not that impressed with Cook.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Bucky Brooks on nfl.com in his latest mock has Wentz coming to the Rams at #15.

His colleague, Daniel Jeremiah, has Wentz to Dallas at #4 and Paxton Lynch to the Rams at #15.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've started watching more of these QB's and I still like Goff, but I definitely like what I've seen from Wentz over Cook. I'm just not that impressed with Cook.
Me too...But I'm not ready to throw Cook...or Hogan...or even Hackenberg away like garbage....I think those kids can play....