Camp Report 7/29/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I think your fourth CB is either Joyner or Gaines. But yes anyone who watched camp today say that McGee was a train wreck.

As CoachO said though, some of these drills are favored towards the offense because plays are going to be allowed when they would be ending in a sack or a knockdown.
Yeah I hope we have the depth now he is cut!
Justin King 2.0

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will be the first one to admit to buying into leading the charge on the Quick bandwagon in the past. But what's different from previous camps is there is finally a swagger to him. I mentioned in my report from Sunday that there was a brief exchange between him and Joyner. In past years, Quick having the pass knocked from his grasp and roughed up some, would have tucked his tail between his legs, dropped his head and sulked back to the huddle. NOT SUNDAY. He quickly turned and challenged Joyner, as if to say,, you ain't doing that to me. He finally has the look like he knows he belongs.

He can be seen tossing the ball in the air when on the sideline, where before, he tried to hide behind anyone who would shield him from Coach Sherman. Now he looks to be chomping at the bit to get back on the field. I know all that means squat unless it carries over on Sundays starting in Sept. But I cannot exaggerate the point enough.. he LOOKS like a different player out there, and playing with Britt can only help.

yes yes YES.

Hey, I'm turning into that luigi character who would only post either +1000 or hilarious.

RmsBlsCds

UDFA
I'm always the pathological optimist, but I'm very happy that Quick is coming along.

Most football scouts put a learning curve at 3 years on receivers. And that is for the division 1 guys! You would have to think Quick would need even more time, but starting to sound like he may have climbed the 3-year mountain as well. Sure hope so. We need that size.

One of the biggest concerns I have after reading all of the reports about the offense tearing it up would be the play of our secondary. While it's great to get excited about the receivers doing well there is a flip side which is a concern that our corners are getting beat and burnt by a playbook they likely know fairly well.

Being that optimist I'm going to go with the fact that no one is allowed to touch Bradford or mob our offensive players. You have to think that this world-class defensive line we have assembled are going to be a HUGE help to our secondary. I don't expect many teams to have 4 or 5 seconds to throw the ball downfield. God help us if our corners can't cover someone for THAT long. :)

Great report Coach, as always.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
My nightmares involve clowns, falling from great heights and Craig Dahl in a Rams uniform. Somehow managed to block out King from all that lol
LMFAO!!!

Dude craig Dahl and king were my ipitamy of what summed up our lowest years.... absolutely horrible and always 45 cents short of a dollar.

Here is Mr Bad Angle:

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Am I the only one who realises that Mcgee is horrible at anything Watching him last year made me cry often I'm sure we can pick up a UDFA or a FA that would suffice better for our 4th CB

I don't think that we can expect a fifth round pick like McGee to become a starting quality player in his rookie year. I understand the rams need to to mature quickly but he needs three years before we can expect a lot from him realistically.
I'm not going to be too hard on him yet but I hope he develops into a quality contributor soon. He has great athleticism. The tools are there, it's going to be a mental thing for him. He can't be put in the same conversation with guys like Justin King because they were drafted with three full rounds between them.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I don't think that we can expect a fifth round pick like McGee to become a starting quality player in his rookie year. I understand the rams need to to mature quickly but he needs three years before we can expect a lot from him realistically.
I'm not going to be too hard on him yet but I hope he develops into a quality contributor soon. He has great athleticism. The tools are there, it's going to be a mental thing for him. He can't be put in the same conversation with guys like Justin King because they were drafted with three full rounds between them.
I wasn't asking for him to be Deion Sanders in his rookie year just at least be competent in what your doing In that Seahawk and 49er game dude had so much penalties and gave up many plays that hurt us terribly I don't care if he's a 5th round, UDFA or first rd. pick just be competent. Dudes a Justin King waiting to happen.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I wasn't asking for him to be Deion Sanders in his rookie year just at least be competent in what your doing In that Seahawk and 49er game dude had so much penalties and gave up many plays that hurt us terribly I don't care if he's a 5th round, UDFA or first rd. pick just be competent. Dudes a Justin King waiting to happen.

I disagree with your expectations. I'd love for all their picks to be game ready right away but that's not reality. Patience

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LMFAO!!!

Dude craig Dahl and king were my ipitamy of what summed up our lowest years.... absolutely horrible and always 45 cents short of a dollar.

Here is Mr Bad Angle:

The play that really got me with Dahl, I think it was in that same Minnesota game, he read the route perfectly and jumped it...then missed the football. And it resulted in a completed pass. Just summed up Craig Dahl as a player.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
My nightmares involve clowns, falling from great heights and Craig Dahl in a Rams uniform. Somehow managed to block out King from all that lol
Have you guys forgotten about Tye Hill? He still haunts my dreams.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Tru, Jenkins, Joyner, McDonald, McLeod

That's 5 DBs - 4 of them with meaningful NFL experience who, by most indications, are playing well.

First man up would be Gaines (it sounds like) - who also apparently looks good.

6 DB depth ain't bad. I'm a bit nervous at safety if one of the Mc's goes down but Alexander will look better after 6 weeks of camp than he does after one. So will the rest of the youngsters.

No panic on the back end just end.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
i think his demise is vastly overstated by doubters. Constantly with 2nd team and giving tips to Alexander about where to line up
train

More importantly, if you read between the lines, he is firmly entrenched on all of the Special Teams. Cody Davis is going to be on this team.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
More importantly, if you read between the lines, he is firmly entrenched on all of the Special Teams. Cody Davis is going to be on this team.

just curious Who has been saying that Cody is in trouble? It has to be Daniels he is hurt every training camp and hasn't been healthy since being drafted

Athos

Legend
Sweet merciful, Bubbha, don't break my heart Brian Quick.

It sounds like he's finally using his body as he should. Playing like a power fucking forward! Awesome to see Sammy and him and clicking and he's looking his way. I think that may spell the end for Pettis if this keeps up. Sounds like the Britt signing's biggest benefit has been the instruction he's given Quick. Britt is going nowhere. With Cook also, makes Pettis' height advantage he's had since drafting, mean nothing. Not surprised he didn't show up. He doesn't have the physical attributes outside of height.

Givens is still worrisome. 3rd unit reps doesn't say much more than bad. Sounds like he'll just be the 4th or 5th WR for 3 WR sets to send on a 9-route.

CB worries me. I have a feeling they'll play better as a whole unit with help from the D-Line, but I have a feeling we draft a 1st round CB next year.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu anyone?

-- - - - - -

Is Moe still catching everything and finding seams to work himself open? Flashed any slick moves yet?

It seems like the main offensive scheme is going to be Cook/Quick/Britt. That's crazy heigh and strength advantage. Do you put Austin in that package eventually and run more 3 WR sets than you'd think?

Is Austin getting any more reps from the backfield?

Is Gilbert looking more comfortable? Were those passes shotgun formations or drop backs?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
just curious Who has been saying that Cody is in trouble? It has to be Daniels he is hurt every training camp and hasn't been healthy since being drafted
I'm pretty sure Daniels was an undrafted free agent.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Thanks again Coach.

Very cool about the 3-3-5 nickel as well. I wonder if we'll see a wrinkle introduced with a LEO LB in there (possibly Quinn or Long) now that they are working on 3 down linemen sets. Perhaps once Donald gets up to speed.

That 30 look was a big weapon for the Saints' Championship run when Williams was the DC. Sharper in particular was a maniac in that look. It might be a good way to help mitigate Kyle Rudolph in that first game, I imagine he (and obviously Peterson) would be a security blanket for Bridgewater if he starts out of the gates, and definitely something to look for against the Cowboys and Witten in Game 3.