Camp Report 7/29/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
They sure are taking their time moving Donald up the depth chart. I wonder if that is to give Carrington and Conrath time to battle it out for that 4th DT spot.

lockdnram21

Legend
In his college highlights he showed aggression, confidence, and swagger. I haven't seen that in the pros. Probably because he had a lot of learning to do yet. I'm being optimistic, I try not to but every year I take the plunge.

i just watched fisher video from today. he said that britt sometimes messes up on routes but always runs hard. he said that Quick has learned to do tha. Before if he wasnt sure he wouldnt go full go

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coach O...Thanks as always.

One of the BIG concerns seems to be the play and lack of depth in the secondary. With the experience you have watching these practices, I am curious what your thoughts are on how much is against the secondary in these practices and if that plays into account with so many of the comments I have read about them. I understand it is still early and once the pre-season begins we should start to get some more answers.

But for now.......the QB is protected and has a significantly increased amount of time to throw with the comfort of being safe...they are transitioning from one D coordinator to a new one (with what sounds to be a totally different plan of attack), the increased amount of blitzing exposes them more, the possibility that Britt has made a big difference on Quick, etc.

Just curious on your thoughts as the more I read about how well the WR are looking, the more I wonder about the secondary and if the WR are making them look bad or if the secondary is making them look good. Thanks in advance for all you do!

This is gonna sound like a cop out answer, but I honestly believe it's a little of both. The WRs are definitely improved, and would be if it weren't anyone else but Quick. But add Britt to the mix, Bailey and Austin with a year under their belt, and an obvious comfort level in the offense, and they are playing at a much higher level than this time a year ago. (Maybe Fisher and Snead knew what they were talking about).

The other thing that definitely plays a factor in this, is the way the practices are structured. They are tilted heavily in favor of the offense, in that even if 3 guys converge on the QB, he is still allowed to get the pass off, to run the play to completion. Especially against our defensive front, there are contless plays that would end up in sacks or throw aways if this were live action.

The "good and the bad", now here's the "ugly"!!!!!

Jenkins had a much better practice today, than on Sunday, and he wasn't the target of many of the bog plays today. That would be Brandon McGee, who in Tru Johnson's absence, has shown we are woefully thin at CB if he is the "next man up". Neither he or Woodard have shown much of anything, and its difficult to say which has had more struggles.

Joyner has shown to be a capable anser in the Nickel role, and Gaines has flashed some very good instincts. He just seems to "get it". He jumps routes when he reads them. He knows when to back off as to not get blown past in other routes. But even he has had his moments, especially if lined up vs. Quick or Bailey.

Reid and Roberson have been so limited in terms of the number of reps, it's impossible to evaluate them fairly. That being said, Roberson shows some coverage skills, but shies away from anything that remotely looks like anything physical. Reid just hasn't had many opportunities to show anything one way or another.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I keep hearing that McGee is progressing nicely from some, but bombing from others. Any idea what the disconnect is?

BD-TomCat

Rookie
They sure are taking their time moving Donald up the depth chart. I wonder if that is to give Carrington and Conrath time to battle it out for that 4th DT spot.

that's the way Fisher has always done it. they want the players to earn their starting job not have it handed to them

FRO

Legend
I think we will be fine at CB with Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, and Gaines.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Man im getting excited for this season! I hope quick and britt are for real, if they are with the running game they will have we will be playoff bound.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
o Introduced the “30 Nickel” which has 3 DL; 3LB; 5 DBs

You can hear Coach W yell a mile away when he calls "OKIE, OKIE, OKIE". It's one of the 47 packages they will have this year. Sometimes 1 or 2 of the LBers will be a DLmen, like Long of Quinn, so it could be a 30 nickle with a dlinemen as one of the Lbers. Didn't show it today, imagine they are saving it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That was awesome, man. Felt like I was there.

-Britt, Quick, and Cook. Our pass catchers have gotten a lot bigger over the last few years. I'm surprised the starters are set this early!

-That Britt scuffle on the TD made my day. It's so entertaining. Britt said in his interview "they're pushing me" as his eyes widened. Yeah, they don't just want a piece of you, man. Love it!!!

-The emergence of Quick is a huge uplift. He had flashes here and there last year at this time, but very pedestrian. Sounds like he's doing a 180.

- Our secondary is pretty good, but like CoachO said, we have no depth. All the more reason to blitz like hell. Surely they can cover for 2.5 seconds.

Great report! Thanks again.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Again, great report Coach O!
I do hope that I am wrong about Quick and he starts getting better. This team is still a work in progress and may be a little rough in the first part of the year but if they are improving I will be happy!
Also, I still think that we will have a surprise player or two step up and be our next big thing. It's still early.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Bradford to Britt ( 9 route) in the back of the EndZone over McGee and with McGee finishing the play with a shove to the face of Britt. Britt spikes the ball at McGee’s feet and gets mobbed by teammates

lol

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Am I the only one who realises that Mcgee is horrible at anything Watching him last year made me cry often I'm sure we can pick up a UDFA or a FA that would suffice better for our 4th CB

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Am I the only one who realises that Mcgee is horrible at anything Watching him last year made me cry often I'm sure we can pick up a UDFA or a FA that would suffice better for our 4th CB

I think your fourth CB is either Joyner or Gaines. But yes anyone who watched camp today say that McGee was a train wreck.

As CoachO said though, some of these drills are favored towards the offense because plays are going to be allowed when they would be ending in a sack or a knockdown.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm officially excited about Quick.

The last few years it was always Pettis that looked like our best wr in camp. (At least from the reports). I'm sure he was.
Now it seems he has blended in towards the bottom of the pack. It sounds as if it is directly due to the fact that we have legitimate talent at the position.

I still like Pettis.