Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Just call me Alfred E. Newman. Whomever we choose with our first and second (and probably third) pick will be a welcome addition to the squad. Not being ignorant, blind or cocky. Just completely sure they will get us valuable help. Hell, even Noteboom, Akers, VJ and Hendo helped us reach high goals. These decision makers are pretty good.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Aa long as our first 3 picks are NOT a....

...super talented LT, that spends more time playing video games & learning rap lyrics vs learning a playbook.

A gadgety WR with a catch radius of 18"

A former above avg RT, and then project him to OG.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just call me Alfred E. Newman. Whomever we choose with our first and second (and probably third) pick will be a welcome addition to the squad. Not being ignorant, blind or cocky. Just completely sure they will get us valuable help. Hell, even Noteboom, Akers, VJ and Hendo helped us reach high goals. These decision makers are pretty good.

1712269431853.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am sure 90% of us agree. But blindly subscribing to whoever they pick doesn't lead to very much interaction on a board. And the Rams have shown they fuck up picks just like the rest of the teams out there. Patriots during their long run fucked up a ton of them. So no team bats a thousand with this shit and I can guarantee you they're gonna miss on a couple guys in this class.

Each year's draft class looks its best one year out too by the way. Rarely do they look as good as our 2023 class did, especially given that they had no high picks. But even that class will erode a bit in quality as the years move on. Some of them might fall out due to injury or whatever other reason, or not develop as hoped. This is why you can't really tell until 3 years out.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well now I see my post may have been misconstrued. I know they screw up. I know they've missed on picks. I know we don't know anything about this years picks because they haven't been made yet. And I know, though last years picks looked good last year, that may change. I guess I should have been literal and said, no matter who they pick, whether they're a Steve Avila type or a Van Jefferson type or a Taylor Rapp type, they will help to some degree. And as long as we win WTF is there to complain about? I could cite a certain choice, an eggregious error, an omission that caused an overabundance of angst about the guy we actually picked in a year we won it all. But I won't. :ROFLMAO: Yeah, I guess I'm a blind loyalist after all.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I am sure 90% of us agree. But blindly subscribing to whoever they pick doesn't lead to very much interaction on a board. And the Rams have shown they fuck up picks just like the rest of the teams out there. Patriots during their long run fucked up a ton of them. So no team bats a thousand with this shit and I can guarantee you they're gonna miss on a couple guys in this class.

Each year's draft class looks its best one year out too by the way. Rarely do they look as good as our 2023 class did, especially given that they had no high picks. But even that class will erode a bit in quality as the years move on. Some of them might fall out due to injury or whatever other reason, or not develop as hoped. This is why you can't really tell until 3 years out.
You're absolutely right on your first paragraph.

I have a slight pushback, though, on your second paragraph. Isn't it possible that some who showed nothing last year develop? Some classes actually look better after three years than after year one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're absolutely right on your first paragraph.

I have a slight pushback, though, on your second paragraph. Isn't it possible that some who showed nothing last year develop? Some classes actually look better after three years than after year one.
I am sure it is possible. But I can't think of any. I can think of many that looked worse as the years passed though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yes! I have had many critics here that disagree with me when I didn’t like some of Snead’s drafts. (Especially the Van Jefferson/Cam Akers draft) Last year was the first one that I loved every pick as they were being made( except for the Bennett pick.)

Nobody should be thinking a GM is flawless. It may be hard to do when people get so giddy during and after the draft. I understand why some don’t like a negative take.

If, they stick to high character/High football IQ/Desire/leadership traits coupled with athleticism to guide the decisions again, then I do expect that I’ll like this draft too. But that remains to be seen. That approach can eliminate a bunch of players from a draft board.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I am sure it is possible. But I can't think of any. I can think of many that looked worse as the years passed though.
I'd say our 2021 draft - Atwell, Ernest Jones, Bobbie Brown, etc. - looked horrible after one year. It's still not so great now but with the emergence of Jones, better play from Brown last year, and some contribution from Atwell, it looks much better after three years than one year.

Our 2022 draft - Bruss, Durant, Williams, Lake, Kendrick, etc. - also looked bad after one year. With Kyren's stellar year and Lake's emergence late last year, it looks 10x better after the 2nd year. No doubt it will also look much better after three years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say our 2021 draft - Atwell, Ernest Jones, Bobbie Brown, etc. - looked horrible after one year. It's still not so great now but with the emergence of Jones, better play from Brown last year, and some contribution from Atwell, it looks much better after three years than one year.

Our 2022 draft - Bruss, Durant, Williams, Lake, Kendrick, etc. - also looked bad after one year. With Kyren's stellar year and Lake's emergence late last year, it looks 10x better after the 2nd year. No doubt it will also look much better after three years.
The 2022 draft is still in that three year churn so we'll see how it ends up.

2021 draft I don't think has looked good period so it's splitting hairs to some extent but I will admit it can be argued due to Jones development and Brown turning it on last year. But we'll see how it goes. You can't really grade a draft for at least 3 years I think, but the further you go ahead the clearer the picture gets so looking at the 2021 draft in a couple years will surely be a very clear picture.

Again though I admit it is possible drafts can look better. But it just seems like most players make their jumps year two on average, if you looked at it from that bell curve example, that would be where the peak is, the second season. Also that first couple years is where your draft status leads to the most benefit of playing time. Rams did everything they could to get guys they missed on going, particularly the round 2 types. They've whiffed their asses off in round 2 with Everett, Jefferson, Atwell all being attempts to juice the pass game. All of them were pushed onto the field in spite of their ineffectiveness, most recently the example being Robinson having a great camp and then getting parked on the bench while Tutu and Jefferson fucked off on the field.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Don't forget Yeast. He's got a lot of potential himself, and he started games as a rookie and second year player.

But yeah, 2022...our offensive linemen (Bruss and Arcuri) weren't nearly as good as we hoped (if Bruss doesn't improve this year, we can probably close the door on him and Arcuri), Kendrick's been a penalty machine and an idiot off the field, Hardy was a complete bust, Durant, I hope, will make a comeback, but even that's not assured. I think K-Will, Lake, Yeast, and maybe Durant - thus far - are the only things saving this draft.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Again though I admit it is possible drafts can look better. But it just seems like most players make their jumps year two on average, if you looked at it from that bell curve example, that would be where the peak is, the second season...
I think you're right that players often make a big jump in year two. If so, that means the draft should look better after the second year rather than the first year. If that's what you're saying, I agree.

That said, players often make a pretty big jump from year 2 to year 3 also.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Don't forget Yeast. He's got a lot of potential himself, and he started games as a rookie and second year player.

But yeah, 2022...our offensive linemen (Bruss and Arcuri) weren't nearly as good as we hoped (if Bruss doesn't improve this year, we can probably close the door on him and Arcuri), Kendrick's been a penalty machine and an idiot off the field, Hardy was a complete bust, Durant, I hope, will make a comeback, but even that's not assured. I think K-Will, Lake, Yeast, and maybe Durant - thus far - are the only things saving this draft.
I left Yeast off on purpose b/c I think he's a JAG. He did start some but then got demoted from missing tackles. If he turns into more that will be bonus points for the '22 draft.

As is, they have one above average starter in Kyren and what should be at least an average starter in Lake. They say getting two starters from any draft class makes it a solid draft. Three or more starters or getting an elite player out of it is a great draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you're right that players often make a big jump in year two. If so, that means the draft should look better after the second year rather than the first year. If that's what you're saying, I agree.

That said, players often make a pretty big jump from year 2 to year 3 also.
I think it's also the teams trying to force their picks onto the roster, which annoys me greatly. When the guys who aren't good enough are still in their first couple years teams are still doing their best to show why they invested the draft value in them. Each year that goes on with the new guys coming in you get the churn going and it clears things up. That's why I mentioned Jefferson, Atwell, etc. Rams went out of their way to play them even though they didn't do a thing for them.

Fortunately the Rams finally relented and gave Robinson a chance. But that effect plays into this as well I think. Where a draft pick's best chance for playing time is early on. There are of course exceptions. QBs it's a longer play. Some line positions where guys can get stronger and better with a pro regimen. But it's a fun thing to look at.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Exactly. We must have seen the same interview (though I heard 365). If a kid believes 365 is his playing weight how motivated is he going to be to get his weight down more?

I don't know if Dane Brugler said he was told he was 380 or 390 at the Senior Bowl, but when I get the chance, I'll find the clip.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri5gDrwe00U

Sweat discussion starts at 56:30

Brugler says he was around 390 lbs. at Senior Bowl.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri5gDrwe00U

Sweat discussion starts at 56:30

Brugler says he was around 390 lbs. at Senior Bowl.

There is absolutely no way I take him, even with our last seventh. The DWI is bad enough, but his weight and character are my main concerns. I don't think he has any way to control his weight, and his obvious partying is a huge red flag.

Just take Jer'Zhan Newton, no questions. The Conductor is already a great NT, and this is not a good class for NTs, in my honest opinion (Sweat is obviously the best out of the group.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not draft Sweat until our round 5 pick, if he were still to be on the board. No way I'd risk a round 2 or 3 pick on him. Uncontrolled weight surely has a high correlation with busting. Telling yourself you can change a player, who they are, that is the type of decision making that increases your bust likelihood. You are better off knocking him for that, and choosing another player who has the things that are hard to teach, like love of the game, self discipline, good conduct in society, etc.