Byron Murphy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm a UCLA guy and would Love Latu... but if we had to choose between Latu and Mitchell I'd probably go with Mitchell... I think we like Hampton, Mathis, Thomas and hoecht enough to choose a D lineman like Newton or Murphy over Latu if they're available...

Or picking Latu in the first and hoping A t'vondre sweat is there in the 2nd.

I agree there is a bit of a drop off at edge in this draft class but IF we like what we have currently getting we may be able to afford to wait
You’re talking about an ELITE Pass Rusher!! IMO L.Latu at 19 would be a steal.He is what The Rams need most.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
All true. And Kupp's outlook, i.e. what the Rams are hearing from the medical side, is an unknown at this point so for all we know right now WR may be right up there among their highest needs.

I do think however that the PFF guys are right about WR being interchangeable from WR4 through WR15 or so. There's a very large glut of them which means our round 2 pick is likely earmarked to address that position. That of course would require the draft to fall within certain ranges though, and in the end when you pick at 19 you are at the mercy of the mob in terms of which players fall.

So just take the player who falls. And if not then move down, allowing someone else to move up to take that player who falls, and then take whatever position you have targeted there. Nice thing for us this year is all the positions of strength line up with our needs (Edge, DT, OT, WR) and I don't think that's a coincidence.
We're also not privy to what the Rams are measuring from an analytical perspective. I believe hearing that they traded Woods because their internal numbers indicated he was slowing down. Kupp is 30 and has had two down years. Who knows if his speed/athleticism is the same as 2 years ago.

So I agree that WR may be right up there among their highest needs.

PFF may say that the talent is similar from 4-15 in a vacuum but that doesn't factor in precise traits that a team would be looking for. Are the Rams looking for an all-around guy or an X receiver? Are there certain qualities McVay insists his receivers have? It's probably not as simple as taking whoever falls. Fortunately, Snead has always been really good at moving up and down the board to target specific players.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I don’t think the rams had an “elite” DL even when they had AD. So adding a 1st round DL still wont make the Rams DL elite. I hope they spend the 1st pick elsewhere and pick up multiple DL and edge rushers in rounds 2-5.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
PFF may say that the talent is similar from 4-15 in a vacuum but that doesn't factor in precise traits that a team would be looking for. Are the Rams looking for an all-around guy or an X receiver? Are there certain qualities McVay insists his receivers have? It's probably not as simple as taking whoever falls. Fortunately, Snead has always been really good at moving up and down the board to target specific players.
Yes and all we can do is guess re: what they're looking for. Minimum I'd say they need that X type if at all possible, and barring that at the very least speed who is not easy to neutralize with the press.

Re: the fallers that is always in reference to their board. So there are times where you might not want to take that position however generally if the guy drops a good distance your best bet is to take him. Where it comes into play at 19 I think is will they get one of those guys from the higher tier/grouping. If so they may very well take him particularly if it's a supply & demand position that is very hard to find. And if the faller is of high enough ability they may even move up to get him and still come out in their minds ahead.

But I agree Les is among the best at moving around and getting that value range. So I'm definitely thinking a slide down is in play but we'll see.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m not a huge believer in Mel Kipers big boards, at least not until right up to the week of the draft. However, I read a few years ago that his final mocks are some of the most accurate. He talks to a lot of NFL people.

He had Murphy at 24 iirc

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I don’t think the rams had an “elite” DL even when they had AD. So adding a 1st round DL still wont make the Rams DL elite. I hope they spend the 1st pick elsewhere and pick up multiple DL and edge rushers in rounds 2-5.
You are probably right, but, adding a combo of Latu and Sweat (for example) would go a long way towards moving into the elite category. A DL of Turner/Sweat and edges of Latu/Young sounds mighty good to me.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I’m not a huge believer in Mel Kipers big boards, at least not until right up to the week of the draft. However, I read a few years ago that his final mocks are some of the most accurate. He talks to a lot of NFL people.

He had Murphy at 24 iirc
I remember about a week or two ahead of a draft when Kiper said the Rams would draft LB Ernest Jones and I don't remember if I had even heard of him at that point.:laugh2:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Been wondering if the better overall value is towards the back of the 1st and if McVay wants to target WR maybe we trade back to 25-28 and add a 2nd/3rd. That would still guarantee us either Mitchell, Coleman, Legette, McConkey, Worthy.
I wouldn’t mind if the Rams put themselves in a position to roll the dice on Legette, but yeah, #19 is too early and he’ll be gone by #52.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
The more I watch Sweat he might be the perfect fit. Teamed with undersized guys like Turner & Johnson, Sweat makes a lot of sense. Plus, Bobby Brown hadn't been the most reliable in terms of staying on the field. Trade back once ir twice, still van get him, then get another DT later.
Not me. IMO, he's a no-huddle offense away from being just a guy out there.

Not a fan of tiny guys or Sweat sized players. Not in this decade.

I wish I could remember the podcast that provided his actual Senior Bowl weight. Apparently, he did get measured, but it just wasn't publicized.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The more I watch Sweat he might be the perfect fit. Teamed with undersized guys like Turner & Johnson, Sweat makes a lot of sense. Plus, Bobby Brown hadn't been the most reliable in terms of staying on the field. Trade back once or twice, and you still can get him, then get another smaller DT later.
I'm in the same boat, however, I don't want him to be our first pick. I was thinking more of our 2nd round pick or a small trade up for him.

I wish I could remember the podcast that provided his actual Senior Bowl weight. Apparently, he did get measured, but it just wasn't publicized.
I have those concerns, but, he did play against some no huddle offenses and was still a wrecking ball.

He did get weighed at the combine, 366lbs (he's also 6'4 though, so he's expected to be north of 300 for sure). While I'll agree, that's obviously high, he will get on a NFL trainers diet and work out regime and get to whatever we need him at, I'd think. He wants a 2nd contract like any guy.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

The Ravens have seemed to do well with big DTs like him. And sure he has to lose 20 lbs or so, but he certainly could be a factor tying up OL to free Turner.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm in the same boat, however, I don't want him to be our first pick. I was thinking more of our 2nd round pick or a small trade up for him.

I have those concerns, but, he did play against some no huddle offenses and was still a wrecking ball.

He did get weighed at the combine, 366lbs (he's also 6'4 though, so he's expected to be north of 300 for sure). While I'll agree, that's obviously high, he will get on a NFL trainers diet and work out regime and get to whatever we need him at, I'd think. He wants a 2nd contract like any guy.
Or he cannot control his weight and flops. He said he prefers playing at 366. Does that mean he doesn’t want to work enough to lose the weight? I can’t imagine that he wouldn’t be more effective at a lighter weight, closer to 300 lbs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Or he cannot control his weight and flops. He said he prefers playing at 366. Does that mean he doesn’t want to work enough to lose the weight? I can’t imagine that he wouldn’t be more effective at a lighter weight, closer to 300 lbs.
Exactly. We must have seen the same interview (though I heard 365). If a kid believes 365 is his playing weight how motivated is he going to be to get his weight down more?

I don't know if Dane Brugler said he was told he was 380 or 390 at the Senior Bowl, but when I get the chance, I'll find the clip.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Ravens have seemed to do well with big DTs like him. And sure he has to lose 20 lbs or so, but he certainly could be a factor tying up OL to free Turner.
Especially back when Ray Lewis was playing. Since then I believe it's just been two down run stuffers from time to time. And still Sweat is bigger.

Memphis Ram

Legend

And with questions about his stamina. The longer he's out there, the less push and activity.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
He wants a 2nd contract like any guy.
This phrase is alarming to me. I don't want players who are only motivated by money. I've seen a report that his weight issue is partially caused by a work ethic issue and that he loves to party.

McSnead prioritize players who love football. It doesn't seem that Sweat fits that. I hope they stay away.