Brandon Thorn's 2014 NFL Mock Draft (2 Rounds, In-Depth)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In regards to Clowney. If he played this season like he did last there would be no questions about his character. That isn't the case so to argue otherwise is questionable. Whatever his reasons for his decisions, he sure is not coming across as a team first player. He is not out there saying the right things, much less doing them. He seems like a selfish player instead of a team player.

Is he worth the risk? Is he so good that you risk messing with team chemistry? I wouldn't.

BThorn86

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah V Jack shouldn't have been classified as just a possession type of receiver but the point I was trying to make (that Evans is comparable to Jackson). Good point though

BThorn86

UDFA
In regards to Clowney. If he played this season like he did last there would be no questions about his character. That isn't the case so to argue otherwise is questionable. Whatever his reasons for his decisions, he sure is not coming across as a team first player. He is not out there saying the right things, much less doing them. He seems like a selfish player instead of a team player.

Is he worth the risk? Is he so good that you risk messing with team chemistry? I wouldn't.

I think he is worth the risk and the risk I think is overblown, but you make good points. I won't call you crazy but I believe what he would bring (especially in the right circumstances) would far outweigh the risks. His character isn't in question as far as off the field issues (despite a speeding ticket, in the grand scheme of things, who cares) so I think you do take the chance on him. Every prospect is a risk. Clowney is the most talented prospect in the entire draft..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Again, is this not the same thing that happened to Alshon Jeffery? Had a dominant sophomore year. Came back as a junior and had a "down" year because of things he couldn't control. But people crucified him for being "lazy", "out of shape" and "having an inconsistent motor". Sound familiar?

Clowney is a rare talent and can flat out play the game of football. As I've said before, there are two concerns I have with Clowney...does he have the drive to be the best(something Mario Williams and Julius Peppers both lacked) and will he stop using a certain banned substance. But I have no questions about him loving the game of football and I don't question his character.

Clowney is going to be one heck of a NFL player...and a lot of people are going to feel a bit silly for doubting him because of the media and their "anonymous sources".

paceram

Pro Bowler
Any chance you can give us Cyrus Kouandijo or Robinson instead of Taylor Lewan? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.

I am beginning to like the idea of Clowney and Robinson (He looked awesome against Missouri in the SEC Championship Game!). But, I still would't mind seeing the Rams get either Watkins or Evans (I think either one of these players could add a lot to the Rams current WR group).

BThorn86

UDFA
Any chance you can give us Cyrus Kouandijo or Robinson instead of Taylor Lewan? Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.

If I were you I'd want them ahead of Lewan too, especially Cyrus. Right now, I think Lewan is viewed as the more impactful player, maybe he won't be as good in 2-3 years as those two, but Lewan has proven to be the more capable, well-rounded, physically mature guy. I think Robinson should stay another year and Cyrus is still raw, although freakishly talented. It's too tough to tell which of these three will go first, but this offensive tackle class is insane. Antonio Richardson and Cameron Erving could make it 5-6 first-round tackles..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were you I'd want them ahead of Lewan too, especially Cyrus. Right now, I think Lewan is viewed as the more impactful player, maybe he won't be as good in 2-3 years as those two, but Lewan has proven to be the more capable, well-rounded, physically mature guy. I think Robinson should stay another year and Cyrus is still raw, although freakishly talented. It's too tough to tell which of these three will go first, but this offensive tackle class is insane. Antonio Richardson and Cameron Erving could make it 5-6 first-round tackles..

Yea but with Boudreau being as good as he is, I think they'd be more likely to take a guy like Kouandijo with his upside...plus, I think he's the better tackle now over Lewan. And it doesn't help Lewan that he has some character skeletons in his closet.

Richardson and Erving definitely could. If Ogbuehi comes out, that's another in the running(and a guy that I like). Although I think Tiny might fall to the 2nd with him not playing as well this year despite all his talent.

BThorn86

UDFA
Yeah Ogbuehi too. I mean Zack Martin and Cyril Richardson could be very good right tackles, too. I like Tiny a lot, he's the guy who could slip to the second and be a steal.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Here's the thing on Clowney; how do you NOT draft him? Isn't he basically a Julius Peppers type player? In terms of Long; we all love him but we all know he isn't elite. Clowney is elite at an elite position (pass rusher).

Do we have greater needs, yes. Can you pass up on a guy like Clowney, not if he is future all-pro player. So, in my mind, that is the real question; is Clowney a future all-pro?

In terms of Long; his contract is pretty front loaded. His big pay day is next season, which would be Clowney's rookie year. Under the new rookie contract wage scale you wouldn't have to pony up serious money until Long's contract has been fulfilled. At that point you resign Long to a lesser deal. So, I think, the money works.

If it was me I would trade the pick for a future 1st rounder (plus whatever else). That way, if Bradford doesn't work out in 2014 you have 2 first round picks next year, which will be needed as ammunition to move up to get a QB.

At the end of the day, this draft is still about Bradford. Do we give him more WR's, better offensive linemen, or fill out the defense? In my opinion you spend significant draft capital on the offensive line...

Bro, Bradford is not even on the radar screen for removal.
He would have to have an injury free year in 2014, and a QB rating of about 30, to be looked at like that after 2014.

…..

Legend
Wow, a lot of you don't like my Clowney projection..I only heard one negative about Mosley though? Listen, this is my first-edition mock and it's only December so bare with me. But I think I presented a solid case for them as to why it'd be hard to pass on each. I'm surprised nobody mentioned who I had you guys taking in the second? (Zack Martin) he certainly qualifies as the run-blocking right tackle you would be wanting.

I am in the minority here I guess, but the whole Clowney quitting is way overblown. The media had to find something to knock this guy down because before that he was perfect. He didn't quit on his team. Does he sometimes tone it down on plays where the ball isn't coming at him? Sure. But if you bring a guy like that to St. Louis and put him under Jeff Fisher's tutledge with a person like Chris Long as his model, Clowney would flourish unlike almost anywhere else in the entire NFL. But I also understand financially it doesn't make a ton of sense. However, we see it almost every year, when a player is as special as Clowney, sometimes you bite the bullet, ignore you "needs" and draft the best player. This is what I have the Rams doing with Mosley and Clowney. They aren't your biggest needs (DE, LB) but CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT DEFENSE? WOW.

You make a solid case...however, please allow me this....there are quite a few people that already think our defense is awesome and any improvement should be made in the secondary. Having said that, and based on soft coverage schemes and a "bend dont break" cushion employed, there are those that feel the Rams playcalling has crippled the teams performance. I mean, is it really Janoris Jenkins fault that they keep lining him up 8 yards off the reciever on 3rd and 3? So Clowney wont help there.

But I like your aggressive thought process, because your next two picks adequately address team needs, especially when considering the fact that we will probably not be able to meet Saffolds number.

I would buy your case a little better if we traded Chris Long. I love the guy but 11M for 6.5 sacks is a big sin in my book. Keeping 3 elite defensive ends is a tough, tough sale in this salary cap era. And I'm not saying Longs play has been elite level, its just that his cap number is elite level.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Bro, Bradford is not even on the radar screen for removal.
He would have to have an injury free year in 2014, and a QB rating of about 30, to be looked at like that after 2014.

We don't have a crystal ball. We don't know how Bradford is going to perform after his knee injury. Is he even going to have an offseason of work in our offense this year or is this a RG3 thing, where he's going to be in rehab the whole time rather than working on his fundamentals?

It's about contingency planning.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
We don't have a crystal ball. We don't know how Bradford is going to perform after his knee injury. Is he even going to have an offseason of work in our offense this year or is this a RG3 thing, where he's going to be in rehab the whole time rather than working on his fundamentals?

It's about contingency planning.

True enough, however at this point, there are no visible red flags on his knee.
Then in the draft the question becomes, how high of a draft pick to you use on a QB.
Don't get me wrong, I would like us to draft a developmental QB in the fifth round or so.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Then in the draft the question becomes, how high of a draft pick to you use on a QB.
Don't get me wrong, I would like us to draft a developmental QB in the fifth round or so.

Has anyone checked the local grocery stores?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
People forget that Spurrier changed his tune or they ignore it:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9792465/steve-spurrier-shoots-doubts-jadeveon-clowney

The doctors saw no issue with him playing through? Were you in the locker-room? Are you the doctor?

And no, it isn't JUST a muscle strain. He's played almost the entire season with a foot injury that needs surgery.

Where there's smoke, there's fire? I have another phrase. Where there's media, there's BS. Anyone remember the Alshon Jeffery is fat, lazy and out of shape narrative a couple years ago? Anyone remember someone reporting that Alshon Jeffery's weight had ballooned to 250+ and was running a 4.8 before the combine?

Yea, a whole lot of fire with that smoke. In fact, there was no truth at all to the crud they flung at Jeffery.

Clowney is far from perfect. But to just assume because something is reported, that it should be taken at face value seems kind of ridiculous to me. Clowney has his warts as a person and a player but it's been blown way out of proportion...just like they did with Alshon Jeffery.

Can I get an Amen?!

This is exactly my thoughts. Ask yourself this question. Two years from now when Clowney is tearing it up, do you want to be making threads on here how the Rams shouldn't have passed on him. I've sure seen a lot of those Jeffrey threads lately.

It's time to draft Clowney to get him ready to play full time next to Quinn after we release Long for cap space.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm down for a developmental QB in the 5th (or 4th, or 3rd). That's good news that his knee recovery is going well. I hadn't heard anything about it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would buy your case a little better if we traded Chris Long. I love the guy but 11M for 6.5 sacks is a big sin in my book. Keeping 3 elite defensive ends is a tough, tough sale in this salary cap era. And I'm not saying Longs play has been elite level, its just that his cap number is elite level.

I sure like Chris a bunch too...but that Contract just plain hurts for what we get in return. In truth a starting William Hayes could get you those sacks numbers & maybe better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, does Jeffrey set he precedent for all South Carolina players? I dont think so. And yes Jeffrey deserved the criticism. Everyone saw how out of shape he was. Even when it didn't mean anything in the end he raised questions about his character. To top it off he cost himself a lot of money. He probably goes round 1 if he was chiseled instead of sloppy. His talent was undeniable. If he was in great shape at the very least he could have been the Rams pick.

Clowney has raised character issues about selfishness. That could scare a team away that already has some good DEs.

What banned substance are talking about btw?