Brandon Thorn's 2014 NFL Mock Draft (2 Rounds, In-Depth)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BThorn86

UDFA
(The Rams are going to be a vastly better team next year unless they royaly screw things up)

2. St. Louis – from Washington (3-10) – DE Jadeveon Clowney – South Carolina: How great is this for GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher? Quarterback Sam Bradford was having the best year of his career before his season-ending injury so chances are he gets another shot to prove himself. The team has built an already solid nucleus of young stalwarts on defense and through the RGIII trade in 2012, have Washington’s first-round pick. If Clowney was here there is just too much value to pass up. Plus, can you imagine a defensive line rotation of Jadeveon Clowney, Robert Quinn, and Chris Long? Opposing NFL offensive lines surely wouldn’t want to....http://sportsagentblog.com/2013/12/11/the-sports-agent-blog-2014-nfl-mock-draft/

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Nice work! I like what you did with the Rams choices but hate some of the quality players going to rivals. I guess that is inevitable however.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I don't think we can pass up Sammy Watkins if he's there with our pick at 13. Love the Clowney pick and an OT would be good in Rd2.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I'd love to get every player on my list and have the 9's and chickens get theirs picked by anyone else! Dreaming!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you draft DE Clowney you do it because the Org have intentions of trading or releasing Chris Long. You only have two places to really start Chris Long either LDE or RDE. Chris is not all that good @ RDE...Clowney is more RDE than LDE but has more than enough talent & skill to be unstoppable @ LDE @ both pass rush & run stoppage.....Chris Long could not keep Clowney on the bench for long ....Long is not like the 290 pound Hayes or the 6-6 275 pound Eugene Sims who can play a lot of DT on rotational basis.

Org will be looking to extend DE Quinn's contact next season and you certainly do not let him walk. You draft Clowney you will have to sign him to contact for around 22 mil for 4 yrs, Quinn's contact will climb much higher than CL's near 4 yr 50 mil contract...throw in Hayes over 8 mil the Rams will pay him for 2014/2015 that's a large chunk of your cap salary in four DE's. If you drafted Clowney & kept CL,RQ & WH you will pay out approx over 2014/2015 is over 50 mil on just 4 DE's

You do not pay a player like Chris long to stand on the sideline @ 29 yrs of age & pay him 15 million season to be a cheer leader. If you want rotational DE's the Rams just signed good solid cost contract this year for two Ram UFA's DE's William Hayes & Eugene Sims & added a speeder named Gerald Rivers for that rotational stuff....Rams owe Chris Long close to 40 million for the next 3 yrs.

Chris long stats since the first of November....are not all pro or star like....he has 11 tacks, 1 assist tack & ONE SACK! Lets just look at an old player who has not been a full time starter DE who is over 35 yrs old & look at his stats over the same period of time as CL...14 tacks, 1 assist & 8 sacks.....

Last edited by a moderator:

V3

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I just can't take Clowney. Even ignoring the issue with Long already playing and having a big contract, I just don't trust Clowney. The dude quit on his team and coaches. Heck, he hasn't even played all that great this year, either. He isn't worth the 2nd pick in the draft. I'd rather take Barr at this point.

TBH, I don't really like anyone at the top. My preference would be to trade down and get more picks (this year or next). If that's not possible I guess I'm taking Matthews. I'm not sure J Long will like it but at this point in his career, he's probably best suited at RT anyways. He's a beast at the run game and that's what you want at RT.

My other issue is that we don't get a S or CB in the first round. I think it's almost a necessity that one is taken in the first. That's how bad our secondary is. Even if we get a CB in FA we still need another. I've lost trust in Jenkins and Finnegan should be cut. The only starting safety we have that I like is McD. There's a reason we're the worst secondary in the league. The longer you wait to take a CB in the draft, the less likely they'll be able to help next year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Sorry, I just can't take Clowney. Even ignoring the issue with Long already playing and having a big contract, I just don't trust Clowney. The dude quit on his team and coaches. Heck, he hasn't even played all that great this year, either. He isn't worth the 2nd pick in the draft. I'd rather take Barr at this point.

TBH, I don't really like anyone at the top. My preference would be to trade down and get more picks (this year or next). If that's not possible I guess I'm taking Matthews. I'm not sure J Long will like it but at this point in his career, he's probably best suited at RT anyways. He's a beast at the run game and that's what you want at RT.

My other issue is that we don't get a S or CB in the first round. I think it's almost a necessity that one is taken in the first. That's how bad our secondary is. Even if we get a CB in FA we still need another. I've lost trust in Jenkins and Finnegan should be cut. The only starting safety we have that I like is McD. There's a reason we're the worst secondary in the league. The longer you wait to take a CB in the draft, the less likely they'll be able to help next year.

You can still play Matthews at RT for a year or two to give him some NFL seasoning too.That was his spot for the first 3 years in college, so it's not like he's out of position. Then when Long can't handle the speed rush, flip 'em around.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The selection of OT Jake Mathews would be so boring for most all Ram fans but it would be the smart IMO the lost of the Rams best performing OL the last four years MUST be replaced. & the fact that Barksdale will be a UFA when the 2014 season ends. Jake Mathews will fill the critical swing OT or Mathews could start at either OT post if needed & start at either OG post too. So many headaces resloved with this selection of Jake Mathews.

Some other thoughts....

On the above statement ...I am not there with you V3 Like I said if you draft Clowney I see no way you keep Chris Long who is the face of this current 2013 defense. Not really sure how I fully feel about releasing CL. Another big issue that the Org. will need to think on. Drafting a Barr just does nothing to improve this team for me. He would be a great 34 OSLB/DE type for over half the NFL. Rams use mostly two LB'ers in Fisher D...JL& tree...Barr on the sideline? Barr is not a 43 DE but more 43 OLB'er Rams signed 4 rookie OSLB'er this season to go with Dunbar...Dunbar can be resigned in a cap friendly way...Barr will demand 22 mil well over 5.5mil a season.

Here's where you & I are singing on the same music...I say Snead you need to work you magic once again like you did in the 2012 draft. Snead needs to get as much as he can for this very high 2014 first day draft selection.

If Snead fails to get a bounty like he got from Washington in the 2012 draft (3 firsts & a 2nd) that will be ok too. If the picks right in front of him does not get any offers he may still target a 5 star prospect like DE Clowney, OT Jake Mathews or QB Teddy Bridgewater.

CF will be departed so the need for a Nickle is present, McGee has not shown anything that would make you think that if JJ ot TJ were injured he should step up so there you go right off Fisher needs two CB's and I can make a good aguement for a 3rd CB too. So I agree but these corners can be selected on the second day without much drop off.

Last edited by a moderator:

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

I agree with you V3 on all your points regarding Clowney. The guy screams BUST to me with all his off the field stuff. Do we really want to take a risk with a guy with all talent and no brains with a top 5 pick? Let alone at a position where we are already solid? I think we are in the top 5 in sacks if I'm not mistaken, and our issue has been stopping the run. I say focus on the inside part of our dline and get Brock some help. Also, I've been reading many posters considering the prospect of releasing or trading C.Long?!! Let's not forget the intangibles this guy brings to the table every Sunday that is helping create a competitive environment in our locker room. He is the voice and leader of our Defense and guys look up to him on the team. I just feel that some people forget the human element and how well the player is connected to the culture of the team! This isn't Madden where you can trade guys here, there, everywhere, and not affect the chemistry of the team. He is a vital part of what we are doing, and yea he is having a down year, but I would hate to let him go/trade him to take a chance on a pinhead with talent. Too many of those have come and gone.

And my other point too is that you want to be careful to address needs and select what rounds to fill them in with. I would hope Snead and Fish address our top needs, but never force themselves to take the best player at those specific positions(if the value isn't there) in whatever round just to say, "Hey we filled in our open spots." I'm a firm believer that you ALWAYS draft BPA, and if the player you want isn't BPA then trade into the area where he is likely to be selected, ala Brockers and pick up additional picks. I just think it's dangerous to say, "Hey we need to come out the first round with such and such position." Instead, we need to look at it like, "Hey we are trying to come out the first round with so and so, and we are going to move around to make it happen."

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I don't think we can pass up Sammy Watkins if he's there with our pick at 13. Love the Clowney pick and an OT would be good in Rd2.

The only thing I have heard about Clowney is potential work ethic and off the field issues.
If that is certain, we need to pass on him.

V3

Hall of Fame
I agree with you V3 on all your points regarding Clowney. The guy screams BUST to me with all his off the field stuff. Do we really want to take a risk with a guy with all talent and no brains with a top 5 pick? Let alone at a position where we are already solid? I think we are in the top 5 in sacks if I'm not mistaken, and our issue has been stopping the run. I say focus on the inside part of our dline and get Brock some help. Also, I've been reading many posters considering the prospect of releasing or trading C.Long?!! Let's not forget the intangibles this guy brings to the table every Sunday that is helping create a competitive environment in our locker room. He is the voice and leader of our Defense and guys look up to him on the team. I just feel that some people forget the human element and how well the player is connected to the culture of the team! This isn't Madden where you can trade guys here, there, everywhere, and not affect the chemistry of the team. He is a vital part of what we are doing, and yea he is having a down year, but I would hate to let him go/trade him to take a chance on a pinhead with talent. Too many of those have come and gone.

And my other point too is that you want to be careful to address needs and select what rounds to fill them in with. I would hope Snead and Fish address our top needs, but never force themselves to take the best player at those specific positions(if the value isn't there) in whatever round just to say, "Hey we filled in our open spots." I'm a firm believer that you ALWAYS draft BPA, and if the player you want isn't BPA then trade into the area where he is likely to be selected, ala Brockers and pick up additional picks. I just think it's dangerous to say, "Hey we need to come out the first round with such and such position." Instead, we need to look at it like, "Hey we are trying to come out the first round with so and so, and we are going to move around to make it happen."

I'd say 80% of the time teams draft for need in the first round. Teams can trade up or down to target certain players but you can almost always get an idea of who teams are going to take based on their needs. There are always going to be a few exceptions but for the most part GM's don't follow a true BPA only philosophy. Teams would get too "heavy" at certain positions and would be forced to sit good players.

I prefer the "target" method. Establish your teams' needs and then target the players you like that fill those needs and then make moves to get said players- like your Brockers example.

I think we're on the same page on this.

OhioRam

Rookie
No way the rams pass up on WR Sammy Watkins for Mosley when they get get a linebacker in the 3rd or 4th round.
Rams need to resign Dunbar anyways

V3

Hall of Fame
You can still play Matthews at RT for a year or two to give him some NFL seasoning too.That was his spot for the first 3 years in college, so it's not like he's out of position. Then when Long can't handle the speed rush, flip 'em around.

There have been times when Long looked like he couldn't handle the speed rush this year. He's been very up and down.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm not in love with Clowney either. I'd love to trade down 2-3 spots

I think a trade down would be the best scenario. The only player I'd consider taking at #2 overall is Matthews. I just don't see Long being traded for a guy with all the talent but some serious work ethic & off field issues. Not to mention, DE is one of the strengths of the team whether people like Long or not. People say take BPA, well at #2 I think talent-wise Matthews & Clowney are equal, but Matthews helps a bigger need at RT & could replace Jake Long at LT in the future.

Otherwise I'm inclined to trading down and taking advantage of a QB needy team by getting a nice package close to what we got for Griffin. I'd love Mike Evans and a DT/OT/S/CB

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
There have been times when Long looked like he couldn't handle the speed rush this year. He's been very up and down.

Yeah, bull rush has killed him vs guys like Ware (put on his back twice), Mathis, & Abraham

BThorn86

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, a lot of you don't like my Clowney projection..I only heard one negative about Mosley though? Listen, this is my first-edition mock and it's only December so bare with me. But I think I presented a solid case for them as to why it'd be hard to pass on each. I'm surprised nobody mentioned who I had you guys taking in the second? (Zack Martin) he certainly qualifies as the run-blocking right tackle you would be wanting.

I am in the minority here I guess, but the whole Clowney quitting is way overblown. The media had to find something to knock this guy down because before that he was perfect. He didn't quit on his team. Does he sometimes tone it down on plays where the ball isn't coming at him? Sure. But if you bring a guy like that to St. Louis and put him under Jeff Fisher's tutledge with a person like Chris Long as his model, Clowney would flourish unlike almost anywhere else in the entire NFL. But I also understand financially it doesn't make a ton of sense. However, we see it almost every year, when a player is as special as Clowney, sometimes you bite the bullet, ignore you "needs" and draft the best player. This is what I have the Rams doing with Mosley and Clowney. They aren't your biggest needs (DE, LB) but CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT DEFENSE? WOW.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
To me, they simply take the best FS available, so it's Clinton-Dix

I like him. He's a big free safety who's great in both zone and man coverage as good for run support. There's really just nothing not to like. They would have a tremendous assist in outside run support as well as allow the corners to play tighter. The whole defense would get better.

A much later pick that I also like is Ladler. Another big free safety who you could play at nickel who's also good in zone and man coverage as well as run support.

I just think that's where it's going in this pass heavy league, and it frees up your corners to play more aggressively.