Brandon Marshall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
How about this.

I don't think Britt stays, so I'm not really considering Britt a Ram until he resigns.

I think it's entirely likely that we go with Garcon and another mid priced vet like Brandon Marshall who can give Goff security.

And I'll say that Marshall and Garcon could be had for the same price as Alshon (who I would love to have).

A WR corps of Marshall, Garcon and Austin would be a MASSIVE upgrade...Just MASSIVE.

Firstly, I Britt runs sloppy routes. He just does. Now, if he stays, I think he'd have to clean them up, but I think Marshall comes in and improves the QUALITY of the WR play which directly improves the options for Goff. It puts more pressure on the D at that spot, which means less pressure on Garcon and Tavon and then any TE or RB routes.

So... if it turn out they do something like Marshall and Garcon, which would be fantastic for this offense, I think people really, really underestimate HOW MUCH their technique would HELP Goff.

The WRs really made things harder for Goff. That's not really a secret, but it can't be understated. As historically bad as the scheme was, the WRs only made it that much worse with sloppy route running, drops and never establishing any trust.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cook isn't a WR. Quick isn't a WR who is worth a damn. Amendola left the years ago because he couldn't stay healthy. That leaves us with Britt. Who was a colossal headache for the Titans the last time Fisher was fired.
Cook's last game 6 catches, 106 yards, 1 td, on 11 targets. 5th leading receiver in the playoffs at this moment. Looks like a receiver to me.
Quick caught 40 passes, for over 500 yards, with 3 tds. (similar to Brandon Marshall, who you guys are advocating is better than ANYTHING WE HAVE)
Amendola hasn't been able to stay healthy, but had 23 receptions, 230 yards, 4 tds....so he's a receiver that I state has talent. His problem is injuries.

Marshall, 59 catches...out of 128 targets....even allowing for the garbage that is Ryan Fitz....that's still a terrible percentage ( for $7.5 million????) ...and I thought we were getting RID of this type of play....like I said, might as well keep Quick (cheaper, same productive potential) and Britt for a discount deal (best receiver in this discussion).

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Hey why is it that when we discuss a FA WR like Marshall or Garcon we always mention Austin as when of the other starting WR? Is it his contract? To me Austin shouldn't start at WR or really have a lot of snaps at that position. He is a gadget player who should play more at RB.. He really has been a major dissapointment as a WR at least in my opinion.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hey why is it that when we discuss a FA WR like Marshall or Garcon we always mention Austin as when of the other starting WR? Is it his contract? To me Austin shouldn't start at WR or really have a lot of snaps at that position. He is a gadget player who should play more at RB.. He really has been a major dissapointment as a WR at least in my opinion.
I think TA will do well in an offense that's designed to get yards after the catch. Which McVay is very good at designing.
Hopefully we found an offense that can utilize Austin RAC ability

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think TA will do well in an offense that's designed to get yards after the catch. Which McVay is very good at designing.
Hopefully we found an offense that can utilize Austin RAC ability
I have absolutely no doubt TA could gain yards after the catch but that's the problem. It's what he does before catching it. Bad route runner and bad hands. I'm sad to say we are paying a gadget player like he was one of the top WRs in the NFL.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Does that qualify? 1 guy, 30 snaps, 5 seasons ago?

I dunno. Wasn't my thing...

Not my thing either, but he did say startING not startED. One would think that if it isn't current it doesn't count.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree to disagree. He's substantially better than Britt.

Couple Marshall and Garcon with Austin and NOW... we have a WR corps that will give Goff some REAL alternatives. And that doesn't even include his TE and RB choices.
Did I say Britt was better?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Sorry Trony, Britt is probably better than Marshall at this point in their careers.

Respectfully disagree Champ. He had a down year yes, but his down year was Britts norm just about. A little lower than his norm but close enough.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He had a down year yes, but his down year was Britts norm just about. A little lower than his norm but close enough.
Like I tell my baby's mama...it's all downhill after 32....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! And I love Brandon Marshall...listening to him on Inside the NFL is inspiring. He's truly the type of player we need on our team. He's just too old now to trust to get it done, week in week out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Britt stays, so I'm not really considering Britt a Ram until he resigns
But if he resigns, doesn't that mean he doesn't work for the Rams any more??

Oh right, you mean re-signs.....

Haha. Just having fun

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we should grab one high quality FA WR and draft another one. We have a couple of young guys still that might be able to have a good season if healthy. Cooper and Spruce. I'd rather give them some experience rather than bringing in two FAs.

I think we should focus FA on DBs and OLs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook's last game 6 catches, 106 yards, 1 td, on 11 targets. 5th leading receiver in the playoffs at this moment. Looks like a receiver to me.

He's a Tight End, not a Wide Receiver. That's not even remotely debatable.

How about the 30 catches for 377 yards and 1 TD during the 2016 season? That's less than what Lance Kendricks gave us.

Quick caught 40 passes, for over 500 yards, with 3 tds. (similar to Brandon Marshall, who you guys are advocating is better than ANYTHING WE HAVE)

That's not similar to Brandon Marshall. Brandon Marshall caught 59 passes for 788 yards and 3 TDs. That's not similar production to Quick's 41 catches for 564 yards and 3 TDs. That also ignores the fact that Brandon Marshall was coming off a season where he caught 109 passes for 1502 yards and 14 TDs and has 8 1000+ yard seasons in his career.

Brian Quick, meanwhile, has one season with 500+ receiving yards in his career, 2016. Brian Quick isn't similar to Brandon Marshall in any way.

Brian Quick sucks. Brandon Marshall is good.

Amendola hasn't been able to stay healthy, but had 23 receptions, 230 yards, 4 tds....so he's a receiver that I state has talent. His problem is injuries.

That's craptastic production. I thought a lot of Amendola when he was with this team, but he couldn't stay healthy. I certainly don't want him now.

Marshall, 59 catches...out of 128 targets....even allowing for the garbage that is Ryan Fitz....that's still a terrible percentage ( for $7.5 million????) ...and I thought we were getting RID of this type of play....like I said, might as well keep Quick (cheaper, same productive potential) and Britt for a discount deal (best receiver in this discussion).

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I just can't with you. The best receiver in this discussion is the one with 8 1000+ yard seasons. That ain't Britt.

And Brian Quick has nowhere near the same productive potential as Brandon Marshall. You are likely the only person on Earth who actually believes that.

You fall in love with physical talent, that is obvious. Quick has physical talent, but he lacks the mental talent, work ethic, and technical skill to ever be a quality WR in this league. He is the type of player this team needs to jettison.

We have enough athletes who can't play football well.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree to disagree. He's substantially better than Britt.

Couple Marshall and Garcon with Austin and NOW... we have a WR corps that will give Goff some REAL alternatives. And that doesn't even include his TE and RB choices.

I'm not sure I'd pair Marshall with Garcon. I think I'd go after Marshall if DeSan Jackson were the Redskins WR that I am pursuing. If I go after Garcon, I'd like to see us pursue Kenny Stills to pair with him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@jrry32

fact remains...some receivers are ascending, some are descending. It's kinda crazy to pay old guys for what they've done in a young mans league.
I still maintain most of these skill position players were done in by scheme. Hence Jared Cook, rated as a top RECEIVER in the playoffs. I know he's called a TE, but he's USED like a receiver. Whatever. It doesn't dispute the guy has talent, and is productive, at the most important time of the year. I don't care how he played in 2014..2015...or even early 2016 season. He's getting game planned against as we write this... You think they do that for sorry players?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32

fact remains...some receivers are ascending, some are descending. It's kinda crazy to pay old guys for what they've done in a young mans league.

And Brian Quick is doing neither. He's stagnant. He's a bust.

It's not crazy to pay old guys for a year or two when you believe they can still do it. Compare Larry Fitzgerald's 2014 season to Brandon Marshall's 2016 season. I remember a lot of people claiming Larry was done after 2014. I didn't buy it. I don't buy Marshall is done now. I think Marshall still has two productive seasons left in him.

I still maintain most of these skill position players were done in by scheme. Hence Jared Cook, rated as a top RECEIVER in the playoffs. I know he's called a TE, but he's USED like a receiver. Whatever.

Cook isn't rated as a top receiver in the playoffs. He had one good game. Even with that one good game, he isn't top 10 in receiving yards per game in the playoffs.

Cook also did very little in the regular season. Cook is in literally the perfect situation to produce. He's an afterthought to defenses playing with one of the best QBs of all time. And he still isn't producing consistently. The man should be putting up 1000 yards in that scheme with Rodgers. But he's still not doing it.

It doesn't dispute the guy has talent, and is productive, at the most important time of the year. I don't care how he played in 2014..2015...or even early 2016 season. He's getting game planned against as we write this... You think they do that for sorry players?

Yes. I think they do that for every player. Jared Cook is the #4 target (at best) in that offense.

Jared Cook certainly has talent, but he's not productive. He's a great athlete who isn't a great football player.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really think we could use a MLB like Brandon Marshall. Plus he's obviously familiar with Wade's defense.

It's amazingly humorous people are clamoring over Cookie for one catch when while with the Rams he was trashed on a weekly basis. Funny how a change of jersey and "catching" passes from the best QB in the league will do to peoples perception of a guy.