Bernie: Rams defense can show way to playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VARam

Could anyone else not make it past the "it's practice" part? Let me translate what he meant by that.

"People get too happy during training camp. I'm gonna overlook anything that happens in TC and continue to spew my usual garbage."

Sorry, I could not make it past that. It's offensive to me.

Notice he doesn't say this in regards to the Cardinals and spring training. He knows which side his bread is buttered.

VARam

Granted, they've been winning for almost twenty years, but I didn't recall him caterwaulling about spring training in the early 90's either. Again, he knows who rules St. Louis with an iron fist.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You're not missing much by not reading Bernie.
This.

He literally could have done that piece while still in the DR. He should stay there and cover soccer. He could write about how you don't have to see it for your own eyes but a great goalie and strikers would allow you to contend for playoffs.

Seriously. Why even write this piece of shit? I suppose it at least didn't crap all over the Rams this time.

I don't aim that at you RamBill. I just can't believe this tool gets paid.

As to the Bernie ban, it was more banning Bernie's piss poor attitude. It's one thing to disagree with what the organization is doing. It's an entirely different thing to use your position to constantly snipe at the team you are covering and of which WE are fans. All that being said, I have to wonder if Bernie hasn't been banned from Earth City.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He's actually just pretty honest and subjective. My only...and I mean ONLY criticism of this website is that (and I include myself in this as well) we take criticism of the team very poorly, even when warranted. You can say that you are only criticizing based on some bias that Bernie has and that he holds the Cardinals (or baseball or whatever) to a different standard, but that is simply untrue. Bernie writes just as much criticism and compliments about the Cardinals as he does the Rams...and he just as often changes his opinion on certain subjects.

Just for discussion value, I for one do see a huge difference in baseball Spring Training and football training camp. In baseball teams do very little practice against themselves before they start playing games...and I think we can all agree watching football practice without pads isn't the same thing as with pads. I don't really see an equivalent to that scenario in baseball. ...but I do recall Bernie stating much of the same regarding Spring Training performances in regard to regular season as he has here with Training Camp.

The only reason why this subject seems to annoy me is because this is the only part of our ROD culture that seems to be out of whack with everything else. I'm not trying to be a jerk or call anyone out...I'm just saying that this is how it comes off. Similar to what an earlier poster said, if Bernie is critical he is banned...if he is being positive then he's OK. You might not believe that is what is being promoted but it certainly is what the perception is. It seems disingenuous to claim that this column is just laziness because he wasn't at practice when Bernie is and always has been a columnist for the P-D, not a reporter. He isn't reporting on the Rams here, he is simply stating an opinion and giving his thoughts based on others reports. A columnist isn't any different than any of us, except they are a professional writer. I mean, how many of us gather an opinion on players in the draft based simply on the reports we read or hear on the TV/radio? Happens all the time. There seems to be some hypocrisy on this from some posters that I respect very much, would even consider friends in the real world if we met up for a game or beer.

Please don't be offended...I'm really not trying to be a jerk or condescending to anyone. :cheers:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's actually just pretty honest and subjective. My only...and I mean ONLY criticism of this website is that (and I include myself in this as well) we take criticism of the team very poorly, even when warranted. You can say that you are only criticizing based on some bias that Bernie has and that he holds the Cardinals (or baseball or whatever) to a different standard, but that is simply untrue. Bernie writes just as much criticism and compliments about the Cardinals as he does the Rams...and he just as often changes his opinion on certain subjects.

Just for discussion value, I for one do see a huge difference in baseball Spring Training and football training camp. In baseball teams do very little practice against themselves before they start playing games...and I think we can all agree watching football practice without pads isn't the same thing as with pads. I don't really see an equivalent to that scenario in baseball. ...but I do recall Bernie stating much of the same regarding Spring Training performances in regard to regular season as he has here with Training Camp.

The only reason why this subject seems to annoy me is because this is the only part of our ROD culture that seems to be out of whack with everything else. I'm not trying to be a jerk or call anyone out...I'm just saying that this is how it comes off. Similar to what an earlier poster said, if Bernie is critical he is banned...if he is being positive then he's OK. You might not believe that is what is being promoted but it certainly is what the perception is. It seems disingenuous to claim that this column is just laziness because he wasn't at practice when Bernie is and always has been a columnist for the P-D, not a reporter. He isn't reporting on the Rams here, he is simply stating an opinion and giving his thoughts based on others reports. A columnist isn't any different than any of us, except they are a professional writer. I mean, how many of us gather an opinion on players in the draft based simply on the reports we read or hear on the TV/radio? Happens all the time. There seems to be some hypocrisy on this from some posters that I respect very much, would even consider friends in the real world if we met up for a game or beer.

Please don't be offended...I'm really not trying to be a jerk or condescending to anyone. :cheers:
It's cool Sum. I don't see any reason to be offended by what you're saying. It's your opinion and you are expressing it well. But I see Bern in a totally different light than you. Not only is he the laziest columnist I have probably ever read, he gets a hard on for particular individuals within the organization and writes bitchy little twists in his stories to get the readers to see things his way. He also has one of the worst cases of class envy I have ever seen in a writer.

So while I get that you don't have a problem with Bernie, I most certainly do and I see no reason to hide that fact. If we were unfairly castigating the guy, you would see it occur with other writers but you don't. So no - I don't see it as hypocrisy but a distaste for Bernie's particular style and IMO schoolgirl tactics.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It's cool Sum. I don't see any reason to be offended by what you're saying. It's your opinion and you are expressing it well. But I see Bern in a totally different light than you. Not only is he the laziest columnist I have probably ever read, he gets a hard on for particular individuals within the organization and writes bitchy little twists in his stories to get the readers to see things his way. He also has one of the worst cases of class envy I have ever seen in a writer.

So while I get that you don't have a problem with Bernie, I most certainly do and I see no reason to hide that fact. If we were unfairly castigating the guy, you would see it occur with other writers but you don't. So no - I don't see it as hypocrisy but a distaste for Bernie's particular style and IMO schoolgirl tactics.
While I don't think it happens to the same degree (Bernie definitely seems to be the favorite) it does happen with others.

I really don't get the lazy thing. The guy is probably the most active and interactive media personality in St. Louis. He writes something like 3-5 columns a week, has various online blogs, has other pieces in the paper a few times a week, is active on twitter, hosts a forum, makes radio appearances every day, etc.

I really don't care if anyone "likes" him or his writing/personality, etc...it just gets old reading the "well Bernies fat and stupid and a big meany head" type of stuff when he is critical. (I don't really lump you in with that, Stu...most of the time. :fighting: )

tempests

Hall of Fame
You're not missing much by not reading Bernie.

Depends what he's writing about. When he's positive about the team, say after a win, or writing a player appreciation article (ex. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2dca3610-02aa-58cc-8ece-101e2d367b8a.html) he's very readable. Just doesn't happen often enough.

As to this one, it might not be the most insightful thing I've ever read, but does anyone disagree with anything he wrote? You're all just taking shots at him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
While I don't think it happens to the same degree (Bernie definitely seems to be the favorite) it does happen with others.

I really don't get the lazy thing. The guy is probably the most active and interactive media personality in St. Louis. He writes something like 3-5 columns a week, has various online blogs, has other pieces in the paper a few times a week, is active on twitter, hosts a forum, makes radio appearances every day, etc.

I really don't care if anyone "likes" him or his writing/personality, etc...it just gets old reading the "well Bernies fat and stupid and a big meany head" type of stuff when he is critical. (I don't really lump you in with that, Stu...most of the time. :fighting: )
I'm not in the St Lou area so I don't see the other stuff he writes. By lazy I don't mean that he is not involved with the scene there. But honestly. He could write that piece in this thread in less than 15 minutes. Your original response here probably took more time and thought. I don't mind people being critical. All too often though, Bern has gotten personal. That crosses the line for me.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Depends what he's writing about. When he's positive about the team, say after a win, or writing a player appreciation article (ex. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_2dca3610-02aa-58cc-8ece-101e2d367b8a.html) he's very readable. Just doesn't happen often enough.

As to this one, it might not be the most insightful thing I've ever read, but does anyone disagree with anything he wrote? You're all just taking shots at him.

I've never had a problem with the content of Bernie's articles, he's entitled to his opinions just like everybody else. I'd rather read somebody with varying opinions about things as opposed to a yes man who's only going to give you sunshine and lollipops about the team.

That being said, I don't find him particularly entertaining or insightful as a columnist. Just my opinion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

And that article would play well here.

As to this one, what is there really to disagree with anyway? It was just regurgitating what he has read. Hardly column worthy IMO. It was a lazy piece to fill space.

Philly5

Rookie

In the article posted by the OP did you read anything interesting or newsworthy? That seems to be the basis for most of the the comments here today. I don't think it had anything to do with criticism.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Even a dead "Bernie" writes better than the real Bernie Miklasz!

WeekendAtBernies_149Pyxurz.jpg

jjab360

Legend
1. Having just returned from a holiday in the Dominican Republic, I haven't had a chance to visit Rams training camp. Besides, I'm of the Allen Iverson school: it's just practice, man. We're talking about practice. And too many people overreact to training-camp flashes; other then the coaching staff evaluating camp practices to form opinions on roster spots, the true team-wide judgment begins with the first regular-season game. But I didn't need to be in Earth City to know there's considerable buzz over the Rams' attacking defense under new coordinator Gregg Williams.
Jesus Christ man, it's your fucking JOB. The fact that you don't feel like you don't need to be there for the first Rams football of the season says EVERYTHING. For god's sake, somebody on the PD replace this useless tub of lard.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
When was the last time he attended a Ram function OF ANY KIND were he spoke directly to a Ram player or coach? Anyone remember? I'm not trying to be cute here... I just can't remember him interacting with a Ram in the recent past (especially during the Fisher Era). Maybe I'm just forgetful lol.

He certainly doesn't seem to ever provide any real inside information with the team.

I understand that he is just a columnist. His job is to provide his opinion... not to report the facts. I don't let that cloud my judgement of how I feel about Bernie. Being critical of the Rams is something that the franchise has deserved in the last 10 years and I have voiced my own criticism during that time right along with the best of them.

When Bernie speaks directly to a Ram player or coach in the same manner and tone as his writing style... I might change my opinion of him, but until then, he is just a coward and phony in my book.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This.
As to the Bernie ban, it was more banning Bernie's pee pee poor attitude. It's one thing to disagree with what the organization is doing. It's an entirely different thing to use your position to constantly snipe at the team you are covering and of which WE are fans. All that being said, I have to wonder if Bernie hasn't been banned from Earth City.

I've lived in a few states over the years and observed the reactions by local media (epsecially columnists) to local teams.

Whether you (or anyone) likes what he says, he's acting pretty normal when a local team isn't a winner. It's what a lot of local journalists do. I guess because it drives traffic to their sites and because they only see what's on the field at that particular moment.

We can ban him here because we don't like what he says... but that doesn't mean he might not have some valid points, even if they are painful to read.

In this case, he's kind of stating the obvious and not doing any in-person homework, which is lazy... and I can't get behind any journalist being that lazy.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It's just Pat, no real work in the column ,20 or more posters write more substance on this forum every single day,but he didn't miss telling those of us who care enough to go to and attempt to get some insight from training camp that we were wasting our time at best or are stupid at worst.

The overwhelming negativity of the man earns him the karma.

cracengl

Rookie

I agree with you. My only beef with Bernie is recently he keeps trying to play both sides. He throws out the critical assessments of the Rams, but then counters it with "well I could always be wrong." We know you could always be wrong, but if you are going to offer an opinion, then have the balls to own it. And I also agree with those who think he tends to write like a scorned child at times when he doesn't seem to get the favor of Rams insiders. There does seem to be a shift in his treatment of the team in terms of harshness that seems more personal than professional. I'm not saying his points aren't sometimes true, it's just the douche bag way he puts it.

Either way, your point is well taken (at least in my eyes). I totally appreciate the prognosticators around here calling for 13-3 records. But I have to admit, I just kind of roll my eyes when I see them. Don't get me wrong, I want that to happen more than anything, but I've been down that road too many times and been burned. As for not taking negative criticisms well, I think that is true too. But in general, I think a lot of the sensitivity based on Rams criticism stems from lazy media hacks and people who seems to be incapable of tying their shoes throwing out these opinions. To me, there are just too many people out there writing either blatantly obvious stuff or shit that is over analyzed to the point of being ridiculous. I guess that all goes back to my complaint with the opinions of people in general these days-- There is NO objectivity or middle ground any more. NONE!