Bernie: Rams defense can show way to playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's actually just pretty honest and subjective. My only...and I mean ONLY criticism of this website is that (and I include myself in this as well) we take criticism of the team very poorly, even when warranted. You can say that you are only criticizing based on some bias that Bernie has and that he holds the Cardinals (or baseball or whatever) to a different standard, but that is simply untrue. Bernie writes just as much criticism and compliments about the Cardinals as he does the Rams...and he just as often changes his opinion on certain subjects.

Just for discussion value, I for one do see a huge difference in baseball Spring Training and football training camp. In baseball teams do very little practice against themselves before they start playing games...and I think we can all agree watching football practice without pads isn't the same thing as with pads. I don't really see an equivalent to that scenario in baseball. ...but I do recall Bernie stating much of the same regarding Spring Training performances in regard to regular season as he has here with Training Camp.

The only reason why this subject seems to annoy me is because this is the only part of our ROD culture that seems to be out of whack with everything else. I'm not trying to be a jerk or call anyone out...I'm just saying that this is how it comes off. Similar to what an earlier poster said, if Bernie is critical he is banned...if he is being positive then he's OK. You might not believe that is what is being promoted but it certainly is what the perception is. It seems disingenuous to claim that this column is just laziness because he wasn't at practice when Bernie is and always has been a columnist for the P-D, not a reporter. He isn't reporting on the Rams here, he is simply stating an opinion and giving his thoughts based on others reports. A columnist isn't any different than any of us, except they are a professional writer. I mean, how many of us gather an opinion on players in the draft based simply on the reports we read or hear on the TV/radio? Happens all the time. There seems to be some hypocrisy on this from some posters that I respect very much, would even consider friends in the real world if we met up for a game or beer.

Please don't be offended...I'm really not trying to be a jerk or condescending to anyone. :cheers:

Well no, I don't think it's been being critical of the Rams, but more for criticizing for no more than the sake of it. And it's worse when folk like Bernie have to take cheap shots and write like a butthurt girlfriend that got dumped on prom night.

I think criticism is taken in, when it's warranted. All the local and national media do is beat the "Bradford's make or break season" drum, but Bernie does is write based off the knee jerk.

He sounds bitter even when trying to write positive things. It gets annoying, and honestly it's better for me to not just read or listen to his stuff.

Alan

Legend
I'm going to do a quick hit and run. I apologize to everyone I'm about to offend.

I read many posts and articles that I think aren't very well thought out and/or seem to be solely the product of other people's opinion and not any research they did themselves (some of them written by myself). Or ones I just think make no sense. Should I call them fat lazy idiots and go out of my way to denigrate everything they say? Or should I find a different solution.

Sometimes I just move on. Sometimes I don't bother to read them anymore. Sometimes I write a reply/comment about their article that explains why I have a problem with it. Sometimes I say something mildly disparaging about them. Why aren't those the options you guys choose with Bernie? Why the venom? Where's the golden rule? I'm not totally blameless in this matter but the occasional negative comment about Bernie being childish is a far cry from what's going on here.

If you don't like Bernie then why do you read his articles? Just so you can say bad things about him? Would you say this stuff to his face or is this just another example of our new found ability to say horrible things about someone anonymously because you can do it and pay no consequences? Are we no better than that?

Some of us like to read his articles and where is your concern for your fellow posters enjoyment? Because you don't like him you're going to piss on everyone else's parade? I don't usually like what he writes but sometimes he's spot on or comes up with stats that are very interesting. In any case, I always at least skim his stuff in search of a nugget of gold. Occasionally I find one. That's beside the point though.

One of the great things about a forum is that it brings so many different points of view together in one place. Stuff we can read, choose to discuss or decide to ignore. Is there no room for everyone's viewpoint when it's stated civilly and isn't troll like? I constantly tout the virtues of the ROD community to our new members. Frankly, right now I feel like I haven't been totally truthful.

Get some freaking self control and just skip the articles by Bernie if they're so offensive to you. Start treating people like you'd want to be treated.

Like I said, I apologize to any I've offended but I'm right here and it needs to be said IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm going to do a quick hit and run. I apologize to everyone I'm about to offend.

I read many posts and articles that I think aren't very well thought out and/or seem to be solely the product of other people's opinion and not any research they did themselves (some of them written by myself). Or ones I just think make no sense. Should I call them fat lazy idiots and go out of my way to denigrate everything they say? Or should I find a different solution.

Sometimes I just move on. Sometimes I don't bother to read them anymore. Sometimes I write a reply/comment about their article that explains why I have a problem with it. Sometimes I say something mildly disparaging about them. Why aren't those the options you guys choose with Bernie? Why the venom? Where's the golden rule? I'm not totally blameless in this matter but the occasional negative comment about Bernie being childish is a far cry from what's going on here.

If you don't like Bernie then why do you read his articles? Just so you can say bad things about him? Would you say this stuff to his face or is this just another example of our new found ability to say horrible things about someone anonymously because you can do it and pay no consequences? Are we no better than that?

Some of us like to read his articles and where is your concern for your fellow posters enjoyment? Because you don't like him you're going to pee pee on everyone else's parade? I don't usually like what he writes but sometimes he's spot on or comes up with stats that are very interesting. In any case, I always at least skim his stuff in search of a nugget of gold. Occasionally I find one. That's beside the point though.

One of the great things about a forum is that it brings so many different points of view together in one place. Stuff we can read, choose to discuss or decide to ignore. Is there no room for everyone's viewpoint when it's stated civilly and isn't troll like? I constantly tout the virtues of the ROD community to our new members. Frankly, right now I feel like I haven't been totally truthful.

Get some freaking self control and just skip the articles by Bernie if they're so offensive to you. Start treating people like you'd want to be treated.

Like I said, I apologize to any I've offended but I'm right here and it needs to be said IMO.
I usually just "like" stuff like this and move on...Gotta say I like this higher level of evolution thinking here Alan. You're a deep kinda guy. Trying to better man, and the internet/board, one post at a time. Good job!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree with you. My only beef with Bernie is recently he keeps trying to play both sides. He throws out the critical assessments of the Rams, but then counters it with "well I could always be wrong." We know you could always be wrong, but if you are going to offer an opinion, then have the balls to own it. And I also agree with those who think he tends to write like a scorned child at times when he doesn't seem to get the favor of Rams insiders. There does seem to be a shift in his treatment of the team in terms of harshness that seems more personal than professional. I'm not saying his points aren't sometimes true, it's just the douche bag way he puts it.

Either way, your point is well taken (at least in my eyes). I totally appreciate the prognosticators around here calling for 13-3 records. But I have to admit, I just kind of roll my eyes when I see them. Don't get me wrong, I want that to happen more than anything, but I've been down that road too many times and been burned. As for not taking negative criticisms well, I think that is true too. But in general, I think a lot of the sensitivity based on Rams criticism stems from lazy media hacks and people who seems to be incapable of tying their shoes throwing out these opinions. To me, there are just too many people out there writing either blatantly obvious stuff or crap that is over analyzed to the point of being ridiculous. I guess that all goes back to my complaint with the opinions of people in general these days-- There is NO objectivity or middle ground any more. NONE!
We're going to lose THREE? :mad:

Ozoneranger

Rookie
My response to Bernie's latest...."Thank you, Captain Obvious."

Tell us what we already know, whydontcha?

One thing is certain, he'll contradict himself eight times over the course of the coming season.

But I'll give him credit when he actually goes to work and crunches stats...when that happens, he puts out fairly cogent observations.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@Alan

Just to be clear...

I would be happy to say everything I've ever posted about Bernie directly to his face. No problem. Bernie can't seem to do the same though when it comes to Ram players and coaches. Like I asked earlier... When was the last time anyone saw him attending any Ram function were he communicated directly with a member of the team?

Why doesn't he speak directly to members of the team in the same manner and tone that he uses in his columns?

Me personally,,, last year I got irritated enough at Bernie's clown show that I actually went over to his blow hard forum in the PD and told him about it. I didn't hold back on my criticisms of his bullshit. Things like him printing the fact that he doesn't like Bradford personally, his lack of professionalism he displays in those Breakfast with Bernie videos, and his constant flip flopping. And for the record, I would have much preferred to speak to him in person about everything I posted in his forum.

My low opinion of him has been formed over years. From my point of view, his work and his attitude have both taken nose dives, especially since the start of the Fisher Era.

I'll read what I choose to btw.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bernie's a Columnist and we're all talking about him and his columns.

That's the gig...

As a columnist he has a responsibility to provide objective commentary about the team, not do fuckin cheap shots whenever he gets the fuckin chance.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Some of us like to read his articles and where is your concern for your fellow posters enjoyment? Because you don't like him you're going to pee pee on everyone else's parade? I don't usually like what he writes but sometimes he's spot on or comes up with stats that are very interesting. In any case, I always at least skim his stuff in search of a nugget of gold. Occasionally I find one. That's beside the point though.

Alan:

To me the enormous difference that you are glossing over is that this guy gets PAID to write about our team. He's not just some internet poster, he's a columnist for the local fish wrap and as such I believe he should be held to a few higher standards. One of which is that he doesn't just take a couple minutes, try to rationalize his laziness with the "it's practice" middle finger to all the fans who go to the practices and the others who want to hear about what is happening.

I believe Bernie got a pretty fair shake the last time one of his articles showed up here. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he has soured so many on his shtick that he would have to put out a lot more decent pieces in order to win them over.

He has gone the route of the hit piece in order to get eyeballs on his (for the most part) tired, unimaginative, drivel. Even that might not piss me off as much if I didn't read the occasional piece by him that is well written and well thought out. I know the guy can do it. He chooses not to.

And before anyone really gets on this double standard crap, we DO go after posters that follow Bernie's MO. Unfortunately, I believe Bernie has buried himself with a lot of fans, much like certain posters have done. Other writers are lazy too or are simply mis-informed. I get that. Generally, when a writer puts out crap we all know to be untrue, he/she is called on it here. IMO - Bernie's biggest problem has been that he tries to take shots at people within the organization within an article that may or may not have anything to do with the person he is taking a shot at and then tries to hide behind being a "journalist".

I will still read Bernie's pieces hoping for a good one. But when they are useless crap like this one or sniping little hit pieces disguised as a columnist's opinion, I'm going to call it out just like I do when you spew your useless drivel. :D

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Alan:

To me the enormous difference that you are glossing over is that this guy gets PAID to write about our team. He's not just some internet poster, he's a columnist for the local fish wrap and as such I believe he should be held to a few higher standards. One of which is that he doesn't just take a couple minutes, try to rationalize his laziness with the "it's practice" middle finger to all the fans who go to the practices and the others who want to hear about what is happening.

I believe Bernie got a pretty fair shake the last time one of his articles showed up here. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he has soured so many on his shtick that he would have to put out a lot more decent pieces in order to win them over.

He has gone the route of the hit piece in order to get eyeballs on his (for the most part) tired, unimaginative, drivel. Even that might not pee pee me off as much if I didn't read the occasional piece by him that is well written and well thought out. I know the guy can do it. He chooses not to.

And before anyone really gets on this double standard crap, we DO go after posters that follow Bernie's MO. Unfortunately, I believe Bernie has buried himself with a lot of fans, much like certain posters have done. Other writers are lazy too or are simply mis-informed. I get that. Generally, when a writer puts out crap we all know to be untrue, he/she is called on it here. IMO - Bernie's biggest problem has been that he tries to take shots at people within the organization within an article that may or may not have anything to do with the person he is taking a shot at and then tries to hide behind being a "journalist".

I will still read Bernie's pieces hoping for a good one. But when they are useless crap like this one or sniping little hit pieces disguised as a columnist's opinion, I'm going to call it out just like I do when you spew your useless drivel. :D

This is what I am talking about. Taking something personal that really has nothing to do with anything. I seriously have no idea how you could take offense to what he wrote in this regard. I just really don't get it.

I took what he wrote as tempering his expectations and not reading too much into camp. I didn't take it as an insult to myself because I am eating up every bit of info out of camp I can get.

I'm curious...does anyone here go on vacation?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a real lightning rod, I'll say that...

Three pages (and counting)... tension on this board.

Well done, Mr. Miklasz.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is what I am talking about. Taking something personal that really has nothing to do with anything. I seriously have no idea how you could take offense to what he wrote in this regard. I just really don't get it.

I took what he wrote as tempering his expectations and not reading too much into camp. I didn't take it as an insult to myself because I am eating up every bit of info out of camp I can get.

I'm curious...does anyone here go on vacation?

Yeah - and when I get back I have to go back to actual work. He was back from vacation when he wrote this. BTW - I don't take it personal. I just think it's absurd and insulting. I don't take Howard Stern personal either - though I think he's an idiot. Just my opinion. That's all.

I agree with Rmfnlt - He IS a lightning rod. Being that is the case, no one should have a problem either when he succeeds in pissing people off. After all, it seems to be his goal much of the time. In that respect, well done Bern. As a fan though, I will rail against him when he does it even though I am feeding into his shtick. And when he takes the time to write something worthwhile, I will comment accordingly.

Alan

Legend
Selassie I addressing a small part of my rant but missing my point:
Willing to have a face to face.

RamFan503 missing my main point:
OK, you guys are both talking about Bernie's actions as if they are responsible for both your internal and external your responses. IMO, they are responsible for your internal response but YOU are responsible for your external response.

My 12 year old daughter frequently watches Honey Boo Boo on the TV in our living room. Every time I pass through the living room on my way to my computer room I stop to watch the program for a few minutes to see why. The first ten times I did that I'd make disparaging comments about the program and pointed out how stupid the program is to my daughter and she'd politely say "yeah I know Dad but I still like it." Pretty soon she was having trouble being polite and her response had morphed into hostility. We had a talk about that and she rightly pointed out that I had already, on multiple occasions, made my views perfectly clear to her. She asked me why I was constantly trying to ruin the experience for her. I had no answer. Now, when I pass through and she's watching that program I still occasionally watch for a couple of minutes, I still think it sucks big time but I no longer make shitty comments about it nor try to force my views about the program on to her. She's happy that I no longer let that crappy program control my external response to it and she no longer tries to hide the fact that she's watching it.

How many times do I need to hear how much you think Bernie is a __________? At what point do you think you've made your view about him known? When do you come to the realization that I'm no longer listening to you repeat yourself about this subject because I'm trying to derive some enjoyment and you're doing your best to ruin it for me? Would you talk the same way to a member of your family or a friend or would you just agree to disagree.

I have a lot of respect for both of you and the other posters in that thread. I just think you haven't thought it through and you're letting someone else control your actions. You have a choice to be civil and caring of others or...to make other choices.

I'm done talking about this and you guys can do what you want in the future. I merely ask that you take into consideration what the effect your actions has on others.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Here's an option for those who don't like what I say about Bernie, read his drivel ,skip my post about it, if you want to PUT yourself in the line of fire aimed at him,do so, but none of anything I aim at him is intended for you

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<evil grin>

SOMEBODY needs to get Mr. Miklasz over to this board to do a quick Q & A. He'll either be able to explain himself in a manner that will convince everyone that he's simply doing his job and has no ulterior motives with the Organization, or he'll tell everyone to suck it up and deal with what he has to say, because it's his opinion.

Clearly Bernie has earned some of the ire he's drawing here, and clearly he still has some fans. I really don't care enough about him anymore to weigh in on his opinions. When he straddles the fence and/or talks out of both sides of his mouth, then I might point out the inconsistencies, but in the end it doesn't matter to me what he writes. I, personally, have seen him change his mind frequently over the years, and he'll shove his opinion down your throat either way. "I SAID SPAGS IS GETTING A BUM WRAP YOU IDIOTS!" soon became, "I SAID SPAGS IS A SHITTY COACH YOU IDIOTS!" It's just funny. And transparent.

So if you think he has no sack, then okay. If you think he's full of integrity, then okay. But more importantly we should all be mindful of how our words appear to everyone reading the board (lots of important and influential people read this board) and maybe try to make the image of this board a higher priority than making Bernie look like a dipshit in absentia. Or not. Either way. But like others have said, Bernie shouldn't be able to dictate your emotions. I mean, you really don't want to give him that much power, do you? And lastly, think about this. A Bernie thread with zero replies says more than one with 144 replies shellacking him.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's simply too much fun. Bernie is more of a politician than a reporter.

His constituency is his post disgrace forum and he panders to them. That's his real job.

I do have to believe that he has indeed alienated himself from the organization. So he can't give you any inside information from that source, but he doesn't need to.

So yes, even when he writes something with little to no disparaging remarks, when he starts it out I haven't bothered to go to camp, but I'm going to give you my opinion based on other's observations. Well the dude sets himself up for criticism and he gets it.

Thank you Captain Obvious!

tonyl711

Starter
why read his stuff if you get pissed off everytime you do? would you watch a show on TV that you didn't like just so you can gripe about it after its over? I don't like M Irving so when he is on I turn the channel, works for me.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
So since you guys wouldn't let this article go into the abyss of obscurity I finally took a look at Bernies article and as usual crap but not the smelly piece of dung he's accustomed to, more like bird turd.