About our 2017 rookie class...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Clearly, this rookie crop is playing very well. I mean, very, very well. Even down to some late rounders.

Question.

Is this the result of an outstanding job of talent evaluation by Snead and McVay?

Or...

Are they producing so highly because of tremendous coaching skills?

Or both?

Obviously, it’s both. But which is the bigger factor?

I can’t quite decide, honestly. Not used to seeing this issue regarding a Ram rookie crop. Lol.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think our rookie class are just good overall players....not game changers...and...again....are benefiting from great coaching...

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Not sure why its gotta be one or the other or how we would have any more inside info than you? I think it was just good scouting with everything combined.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The only drafted rookie not on the master roster is FB Sam Rogers who is signed to the PS. We have a 3rd rd'er rookie John Johnson III starting safety, a 6th rd'er Tanzel Smart starting @ NT & sharing time with Tyrunn Walker & Micheal Brockers, a 3rd 'der who is part of the main 3 WR's Cooper Kupp.

We watched last Sunday as our 4th rd pick LB Samson Ebukam gt some HD action & came up with a sack & FF. Rams finally let 7th rd'er LB Ejuan Price active for the first time. The top rookie draft pick TE/HB Gerald Everett is leading the team in yds per catch @ a near 25 yds a catch. Our 4th rd'er rookie Josh Reynolds has so much talent in front of him that he is rarely seen but he is active.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Its the coaching imo.
Yes its both and its close but I would say that good coaching is the difference. Any team might get lucky and hit on a great player but when all of your picks are playing well and making contributions and have all looked up to the task and prepared? That comes from great coaching and "conscientious" players who can put it to use.

"conscientious" is McVays favorite word when describing his players. This years draft and FA signings all shared this character trait. It was obvious that McVay made it very clear to Snead what kind of players he needs to be successful. Snead did a great job accomplishing that, but its been McVay who had the vision and has been guiding it to success.

All jmho

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
con·sci·en·tious
ˌkän(t)SHēˈen(t)SHəs/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a person) wishing to do what is right, especially to do one's work or duty well and thoroughly.
    "a conscientious and hardworking clerk"
    synonyms: diligent, industrious, punctilious,painstaking, sedulous, assiduous,dedicated, careful, meticulous,thorough, attentive, hard-working,studious, rigorous, particular;More

2. 2.
    relating to a person's conscience.
    "the act does not provide exemption from service on the basis of personal conscientious beliefs"

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I don’t know how you separate the two. We’ve seen great coaches have to cut underperforming players loose. We’ve seen great players held back by incompetent coaching.

The answer is that it’s like a marriage. The two must be compatible. One may hold it together for awhile, but is that a good marriage?

Good coaching requires the GM to select players the staff can develop. Essentially, it starts with that process but depends on the player actually putting in the work. Eggs don’t exist without chickens and vice versa. Which is most important is irrelevant.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think it's both.

The staff/scouts/Snead/McVay did a great job evaluating players. I'm sure the ability to be coached figured prominently in their evaluations (e.g., Cooper Kupp). They found the guys that fit the profile they wanted, both physically and mentally, and now they are doing an excellent job of bringing out their talent.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Culture & Coaching in my mind.

Nothing pushes an athlete to pay better than being on a winning team, winning breeds winning ;)

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Its a little more blended in my opinion, meaning I think they drafted guys that fit. There may have been better players and/or athletes available in certain slots but it seems the Rams identified and picked players that would fit within the scheme of what the coaches wanted.

It feels like their was great communication from coaches to the types of players they wanted and in turn a great job by Snead and the scouting department to find those players.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our 4th rd'er rookie Josh Reynolds has so much talent in front of him that he is rarely seen but he is active.
Can't wait for this guy to get some game time. He has some great talent. Hard job getting snaps as a receiver on this team...who'd have thought that a year ago?!

jjab360

Legend
Outside of a few obvious blunders, Snead has always drafted good players. They've just never had good coaches and weren't put in a position to succeed. Now they do and they are, and you see what happens.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
It feels like their was great communication from coaches to the types of players they wanted and in turn a great job by Snead and the scouting department to find those players.

yea and remember snead fired 3 scout after the draft last year so i'm looking for even better results in the future

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and it's not over just yet either.

If Everett is going to be a high end TE he should start to flash more and more as the season winds down. At this point he should have a strong handle on all the TE responsibilities, and even though rookie seasons at the position tend to be underwhelming the great ones can flash pretty well down the stretch. Also, TE represents a position that has not been up to snuff in comparison to McVay's offenses in Washington; it is probably the single biggest area that the Rams can improve as they tune up for the playoffs.

Same deal with Kupp. Like with all our wideouts he's been limited by the ball being spread around, and Goff in every game tends to miss a few potential big plays (which is normal for his development curve btw). As Goff continues to improve in read/recognition I think all of them will benefit more and more, to include our rookie who plays like a vet.

IMO both those guys have some of their best football of their rookie seasons ahead of them still.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Both. I think that Snead and McVay have a similar eye for talent, so when they put their heads together they can find some good players. Fisher I think was too rigid and forced draft picks that were poor fits or poor talent.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Players were drafted for skills on the field and love of the game, rather than potential and measurables.

Coaching has a big part as well. Targeting the types of players they wanted had a huge part.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Both. I think that Snead and McVay have a similar eye for talent, so when they put their heads together they can find some good players. Fisher I think was too rigid and forced draft picks that were poor fits or poor talent.

Ya I agree, when they both talk you get a sense they are truly looking & wanting the same profile of said player(s). Man its such a great time for us Rams fans!!! Lets Go!!!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some great posts in this thread and I’ve read them all.

I have been persuaded that the coaching of acquired players gets a bit more weight than the outstanding job of evaluating proper players for this McVay O.

But both areas have been hugely successful.

As Leoram points out, it doesn’t really matter, either way. But it is a fun and thought provoking exercise.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Clearly, this rookie crop is playing very well. I mean, very, very well. Even down to some late rounders.

Question.

Is this the result of an outstanding job of talent evaluation by Snead and McVay?

Or...

Are they producing so highly because of tremendous coaching skills?

Or both?

Obviously, it’s both. But which is the bigger factor?

I can’t quite decide, honestly. Not used to seeing this issue regarding a Ram rookie crop. Lol.

The latre rounders have always been a Snead forte, that and street FA's.

But I think you are missing a third driver here. Goff. Yeah coaching matters. But the coaches aren't throwing the ball, Goff is.

Not sure why its gotta be one or the other

I don't think he said that........

Culture & Coaching in my mind.

Culture matters, like confidence does. How you do what you do is the culture and they have really shifted that "feeling" and it's obvious when you watch player interviews. The mindset is different and now that there is success it's just creating a tailwind for the team all over.

Outside of a few obvious blunders, Snead has always drafted good players.

I think people can see now that he is not just capable but skilled at evaluating players. And frankly Fisher was too. A lot of the players contributing were drafting in the last 6 years.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The only drafted rookie not on the master roster is FB Sam Rogers who is signed to the PS. We have a 3rd rd'er rookie John Johnson III starting safety, a 6th rd'er Tanzel Smart starting @ NT & sharing time with Tyrunn Walker & Micheal Brockers, a 3rd 'der who is part of the main 3 WR's Cooper Kupp.

We watched last Sunday as our 4th rd pick LB Samson Ebukam gt some HD action & came up with a sack & FF. Rams finally let 7th rd'er LB Ejuan Price active for the first time. The top rookie draft pick TE/HB Gerald Everett is leading the team in yds per catch @ a near 25 yds a catch. Our 4th rd'er rookie Josh Reynolds has so much talent in front of him that he is rarely seen but he is active.
Yep and I would absolutely consider Kupp, Johnson, Ebukam and Everett "game changers" as they have each literally changed games already. Very good class and the whole team is working together VERY well. Credit to the FO, coaching AND the players.