About our 2017 rookie class...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The late rounders have always been a Snead forte, that and street FA's....
I agree its not in your face evident but good enough for me. the DB drafting along with WWC's sticks out the most for me. John Johnson pick appears to look just as good as the other Johnson selection on the 3rd round back in 2012. JJ's 1st game as a starter he came up big with an INT. JJ has replaced the previous 3rd rd pick TJ McDonald.who just signed 24 mil contract with the Fish after serving a 8 gm SUP. Snead has been bragging about another rookie DB named Dominique Hatfield too who is our current 5th corner.

The present 2 safety back ups are WWC's & former 2016 other team cast offs. Both the Cards & Eagles were thick in the safety units for those teams thus both had to release on the last cut of the 2016 pre season...they were 5th & 6th draft selections that the Rams must have had the eyes on during the draft. Both ended up here signed off the wavier wire contingent.... Blake Countess more of a deep safety type started 2 1/2 games as a rookie for LJ & looked like a steal in 2016. Marqui Christian more of a in the box safety has been active on ST's. Countess had his first INT last Sunday.

Snead will need to use his magic once again in this up coming draft with most of his outside, Nickle & Dime corner involved in free agency in March. The need for a heavy dose of draft econo priced DB's will assist Demoff in the use of the desired Ram UFA signings.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know that the rookies still on the team have flashed potential...but I still want to give a shoutout to Sam Rogers. I feel that with a little time in the weight room, he could be a hell of a fullback.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't think our rookie class is doing anything exceptional. They aren't pressured to contribute right away so they can get used to the NFL and make flash plays every now and then.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think it' important to draft that guys that fit your scheme . Simple as that, they drafted smart guys that fit what Mcvay wants

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/17/16668276/nine-most-productive-rookie-classes

The Nine Most Productive Rookie Classes in the NFL
Some of this year’s surprise contenders have gotten a boost from their new young faces—these are the most noteworthy of the bunch
BY DANNY KELLY

Los Angeles Rams
A lot of the credit for the turnaround we’ve seen from the Rams can be given to head coach Sean McVay, quarterback Jared Goff, and running back Todd Gurley, and a host of the team’s savvy free-agency additions like left tackle Andrew Whitworth and receivers Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins.

But L.A. might not be at the top of the NFC West right now if it weren’t for the solid play from receiver Cooper Kupp (third round) and safety John Johnson (third round). Kupp has emerged quickly as Goff’s favorite target over the middle of the field, racking up 32 catches for 417 yards and three scores as a reliable route runner who can get open against just about any coverage.

Johnson has played well in the Rams’ secondary, where he’s started five games, making 25 tackles and intercepting one pass. Add in tight end Gerald Everett (second round), who has already shown up as a big-play threat down the seam with eight catches for 198 yards (24.8 yards per catch) and a touchdown, and the rookie class has been key in the Rams’ incredible turnaround.

Ram65

Legend
Its a little more blended in my opinion, meaning I think they drafted guys that fit. There may have been better players and/or athletes available in certain slots but it seems the Rams identified and picked players that would fit within the scheme of what the coaches wanted.

It feels like their was great communication from coaches to the types of players they wanted and in turn a great job by Snead and the scouting department to find those players.

I gave you a thread winner Boston. Yes, players that fit the scheme. Also, players of need.

Cooper Kupp was both scheme and need. He has been the most productive of all rookies taking over the open slot WR and playing outside as well. He has been a reliable third down target. Reynolds has made some big plays while learning on the job. Rams needed a versatile TE with some speed. Johnson came in a helped the defense that needed another safety.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Johnson's been a little hit/miss but yeah he seems to have good instincts and range. I do look forward to seeing how he settles in throughout the rest of the sched.

Ebukam... Just got my fingers crossed they found a pass rushing gem with him. Still think they're gonna need another edge addition in the offseason draft/FA, but if they hit on him it's a big deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And I think there's always a little bit of luck when you hit on so many draft picks