Aaron Donald Retires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Donald didn't want to get double and triple teamed in 2024... we just all assumed that would come from an edge addition.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
How is this? Turner had 9 sacks and Young had 8 sacks as rookies. No reason to believe they won't both make big strides from year 1 to 2. We find another talented player in the draft and we will be fine.
Assuming they'll take the next step without AD is a lot. Not saying they can't be better but it's gonna get a lot tougher without AD needing to be accounted for by opposing offenses.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Assuming they'll take the next step without AD is a lot. Not saying they can't be better but it's gonna get a lot tougher without AD needing to be accounted for by opposing offenses.
I can see them taking the next step if we get another rusher who's worth getting double teamed.

swmizzou83

Starter
Agreed but assuming we can get another quality player in the draft we should still be alright. Also they need to move Hoecht back in where he belongs. He could be a quality player on the line.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Life of a Rams fan. All excited about our free agent acquisitions , followed by a kick in the nuts.

Ellard80

Legend
He was slowing down for sure.. but still one of the better players at his position.

Going to have to definately hit the trade market/work some magic.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
OUCH :(

May he enjoy his retirement! The best DT of all time, IMO. Bar none.

I really thought the Rams had a shot the way this off-season was going. Now I'm not sure. Massive loss.

I am worried the other vets see this and might want to pack it in, as well...

There will never be another AD99. But the past two seasons, he was not playing at a generational talent level. In that sense, his (recent) contributions might not be as irreplicable as some think. He was still elite. But not borderline unhuman anymore. Posters would always get upset and push back when I expressed those views. But his 2022 and 2023 season were clearly not as incredible as his 2018 and 2020 campaigns, for example. He was slowing down, even if only incrementally, and likely wanted go out on top before playing even a single snap without being a game-changer.

Would he have played longer if the Rams got him some elite pass rushing help, instead of neglecting the defence in recent years? Maybe. He might have felt taken advantage of to carry all the weight himself. Then again, I trust he would have communicated that, and the front office would have taken steps to address it.
I think he realizes, despite being named All-Pro last yr, he is starting to fall off a bit and don't think we would accept another 5 or 6 sack season. He wanted to go out still playing at a high level.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Donald didn't want to get double and triple teamed in 2024... we just all assumed that would come from an edge addition.
Kobie Turner actually drew a significant high % of double teams last yr. I saw that stat being discussed in regards to the DROY award.

Fans are reading too much into it. I think he is just ready to move on in life. His kids are getting older and now he can go out still playing at a high level.