A lot of changes looming this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The fifth-year salary varies depending on how high the player was drafted. The top 10 selections receive a salary equal to the average of the 10 highest salaries. For the remainder of the first round, the wage is the average of the third through twenty-fifth highest salaries at the position.
per
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...year-option-tracker-for-2012-firstround-picks

So Austin would get the average of the highest 10 salaries at WR (he was #8 pick). I am not sure if that is cap value or just base salary - but I would assume this means paying him probably $9mil+ for that 5th year (and much more if it is based on cap hit).

That's a lot of $.

But, Austin has to be accounted for on offense and as punt returner. IMO, the light has come on and he's worth it... He'll be even more dangerous if we can get others involved in the passing game.

Right now; the defense knows to focus on Gurley and Austin. That's it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
-Tavon is the only WR i want back, but not because he's a great WR. He's a weapon/decoy/game changer on offense and special teams.

-Tru J is a no brainer in my opinion to re-sign. Locking up the defense needs to be priority #1.

-Giving Jenkins a big payday is frightening. Not because of his talent, but because of what many perceive to be his immaturity....but the Rams almost have to keep him. Good CB's are very hard to find. We've been a little lucky our draft picks haven't busted. They've all been pretty good. We need to hang on to these guys(JJ, Tru J, Gaines).

-The Rams can afford to lose Chris Long on the field IMO, but i'm not so sure about the locker room.

-I'm over the Brian Quick experiment. Also the Steadman Bailey experiment and the Kenny Britt experiment...ok i might bring Kenny back, but probably not.

-Cook? Lol. Buh bye.

-I was probably the very first Rams fan to be done with Saffold due to his complete lack of dependability years ago.

-I'm fine with replacing Zuerlein. FA money could be tight...and he's a kicker and i think he's average at best.

iced

When you can barley hear the Refs announcing penalty's on the field, I'm less inclined to judge kickers... there were many kick offs that even GZ couldn't get into the end zone because of the wind

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think our top priorities should be Jenkins, Tru and Tavon. We need those guys for their skill sets. We also need a quarterback. I believe that will be the number one reason we don't make the playoffs. Foles is damaged mentally. He can't see the field the way he should anymore.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Foles is damaged mentally. He can't see the field the way he should anymore.

I'm not sure why he'd be damaged, though?

Outside of the Green Bay game, he's not been hit a lot... One might argue - hit less than the average QB.

If he's not seeing the field, it's on him or due to offensive fit.

Shurmur, Schotty, now Cigs. Anyone else thinking this WC based offensive scheme might be just the wrong offense for us - or this era?

A lot of coaches and players have come and gone and we've never seen this offensive philosophy perform at a high level for more than a game here or there.

We've been 25th or worse every year. That's called a trend.

If we're to make a change, that's where I'd start.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not sure why he'd be damaged, though?

Outside of the Green Bay game, he's not been hit a lot... One might argue - hit less than the average QB.

If he's not seeing the field, it's on him or due to offensive fit.

Shurmur, Schotty, now Cigs. Anyone else thinking this WC based offensive scheme might be just the wrong offense for us - or this era?

A lot of coaches and players have come and gone and we've never seen this offensive philosophy perform at a high level for more than a game here or there.

We've been 25th or worse every year. That's called a trend.

If we're to make a change, that's where I'd start.

I don't know. When I watch Foles I see no improvement over the backups we've had the past couple years. Those guys are who they are, backups. Was it the scheme that caused Foles to not see Britt beat his man downfield on the first play? A play that was obviously designed to see if the defense bites on the play fake? A play where Britt shoulda been the first look? Its not like Foles didn't have time. I know it doesn't help that the receivers can't be trusted to make that catch. But he's had plenty of chances and missed open receivers. If Foles isn't damaged, then he wasn't good to begin with.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A play where Britt shoulda been the first look?

But if that was his first look, why would he miss him? I mean, if it's progression number one, he makes the throw.

Either that; or he had a serious brain fart.

But I don't disagree with where you are going. Foles hasn't been consistently good enough to this point. I can't defend that.

I don't think it's 100% on him, but as the QB he's got a fair share of the responsibility.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm leaning toward @Fatbot with the slight correction, I'm keeping both of our starting corners....No way we develop these guys and let them walk....The Rams have been pretty competitive with players they like (See Cook, Long, and JL55 salaries)....Personally, I don't want to lose any defensive players....or any skill position players on offense....I'd like to draft a center....a te... a wr.....and A QB.....

nighttrain

Legend
It seems like crazy talk, trading Tavon in the offseason. But ask yourself, what if someone offered a #2 pick for him ... and an above mediocre OL-man? You could use that extra #2 pick to take or even trade up to take a stud WR. I might be inclined to take such a trade.
Cant get enough in trade for Tavon to go that route
train

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:thinking: At the Half-way-mark of the season I'm more concerned with fixing the problems we are having on Offence than Planning On Roster cuts and redoing contracts! Plenty of time for that after the SB!!:D:grouphug:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saying which of our WR is the best, is akin to picking out which sheep is the most attractive.
Perhaps I've said too much....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here are the cap savings if we cut some guys;

Long $11.7MM
Cook $5.7MM
Saffold $3MM
Britt $4.8MM

That $17.4MM between Long and Cook looks helpful to retain some of our younger players reaching their 2nd contracts.

Saffold and Britt could be at risk too. That's $25MM between these 4 players.

If we want to keep JJ, Tru, and others Demoff can make it work.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's only two changes I want to see in the off season if this offense doesn't improve dramatically the rest of this season.

1] Kroenke sits Fisher down, ala Shaw with Vermiel, and tells him we're going full balls after the best, (NFL) experienced, most successful OC available
2] Fisher gives that OC full control over the offense... NO meddling, period... end of story.

This is to be done before the draft so that the new OC has ample input in how the offense is structured (OK, maybe this is a third change that needs to take place).

Can it happen? Sure, anything can happen.

Will it happen? OK, now I'm depressed.

But, IMO, this is the major change that needs to happen. Everything else is really pretty easy.