A lot of changes looming this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still a lot of football left so this is not a throw in the towel post or anything. But as I look at this team as it is currently built there are going to be a lot of changes. Some of them will be due to underperformance, others will be due to pay, but there's a great deal of them looming on the horizon for this roster. Here's a midseason estimate of how things stand. Note that I am making the assumption regarding the return of Fisher for his final season of his contract which I personally do not think is a given if they don't make the playoffs:

1. DE Long. He is an obvious pay cut, no two ways about it. I do think the Rams will be open to redoing his contract with a much lower cap number, not sure he will be though particularly if the team doesn't win this season.

2. TE Cook. Should probably be number one on this list, but he's still playing so there is room for him to pull his head out his <BLEEP> and start helping this team string together wins. But, yeah, he's gone. Cut almost for sure.

3. OG Saffold. I think there is a good chance the Rams cut bait with him. The Rams simply cannot continue to tie themselves to players who can't stay healthy. Plus it's not like the guy was playing lights out before he got hurt. He played his best ball right before his contract was out, if you guys recall. Imagine that. CYA Roger and no hard feelings.

4. WR Quick. Sometimes I want to puke when I think about the idiocy of taking a long term development project nowadays in the second round. Then I do puke when I think about how he was playing last year and how the Rams can't seem to throw him the ball and find out if he's any good before he becomes a FA. And lastly I am sure I'll puke next year when some team signs him and he plays the way he played last year for that team.

5. WR Austin. I've gone on about this before and will again here real quickly... I love the guy but he is not a fit for a power run-first scheme where you want to go over the top off of play action, and please don't cite how well he occasionally lays blocks for Gurley. Rams will probably trade him this offseason to a team that does throw the ball all over hell and creation, where he'll fit much better. Recoup a pick for a non-fit player, and draft some big WRs that fit WTF the Rams want to be.

6. C Barnes. He's had his moments both good and bad. But I just don't see the Rams getting all crazy with him in FA. I suspect they'll have a number they'll try to sign him at, but it will likely be very low given that their next center is on the roster already and will probably start regardless.

7. CB Jenkins. He is going to want to test the waters for the most money he can get. The Rams will likely franchise him. Not sure how he'll react to that, but it might include a holdout. If that happens a trade is possible, however my guess is he will play under the tag next season. He is on the list because there's a chance he will force a trade with a holdout.

8. CB Johnson. He is gone. If the Rams let Jenks walk or if Gaines is having a rough time recuperating from that injury they might put forth a big effort to keep Johnson but I think it's unlikely.

9. K Zuerline. I think Greg the Leg is gone. Fish stands up for him, but for all his leg the guy is too jittery for a team that is defensive-minded. They need a kicker who is more predictable in terms of results even if they give up some range in the deal.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to STRONGLY disagree in regards to Tavon. Why would you want to get rid of one of the two dynamic weapons the Rams have? Sure he has his faults but he is someone who defensive coordinators have to game plan to stop. Who else on our roster (besides Gurley) is that true for? Will Tavon ever be the prototypical number 1 wr? No...probably not. But imagine drafting a number 1 wr to add to the already dangerous tavon and Gurley

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I have to STRONGLY disagree in regards to Tavon. Why would you want to get rid of one of the two dynamic weapons the Rams have? Sure he has his faults but he is someone who defensive coordinators have to game plan to stop. Who else on our roster (besides Gurley) is that true for? Will Tavon ever be the prototypical number 1 wr? No...probably not. But imagine drafting a number 1 wr to add to the already dangerous tavon and Gurley
agree 100%. He is literally our only other weapon besides Gurley and the only thing preventing teams from stacking 11 in the box basically. Oh, and he is our leading scorer! I've been hard on Austin in the past, but he is playing his role quite well. Find us a true #1 receiver and he'll be even more dangerous.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Trade one of our only offense weapons outside of Gurley, who's fit this scheme just fine because he doesn't fit the scheme?

Being a power run team doesn't mean you can't have a big time over the air threat, what exactly do you do when you can't run? Just sit there and twiddle your thumbs?

jjab360

Legend
I don't agree with cutting Long instead of a restructure, trading our 2nd best player on offense after a breakout year, not trying to re-sign TruJo with as well as he has played this year, or cutting Greg because we bought the hype too hard and he can't consistently boot 50+ yarders same as every other K in the NFL.

I just don't see the point of blowing up our core when we're going to have plenty of cap room, most of the guys can be had on the cheap as depth, and the good ones deserve the contracts they're going to get.

The week after a loss makes everyone feel like they want to blow it up and start all over but sometimes that just isn't the most logical plan of action.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Merlin

I cannot see the Rams letting Johnson walk without knowing how EJ Gaines foot is healing. A Lis Franc injury can take a few years to completely heal or it may never properly heal enough for Gaines to return to his fullest potential. So, even if they franchised JJ they need Tru also. Now they could draft a first round corner if things fall right but they cannot count on that happening. The draft is at least a month after free agency.

It is a conundrum for sure. I bet Fisher will be salivating over a young RDE to replace Long and there will be a good corner there too. Despite WR being the top need he will look to keep his defense complete at all costs IMO.

I don't see him trading Tavon either. He wont get near the compensation for him as he should. He wont even entertain it. I do agree that Tavon is not a perfect fit for this team but they are doing pretty well right now of getting him the ball. I only wish he was a precise route runner and could be a good third down option.

MountainRam

Rookie
5. WR Austin. I've gone on about this before and will again here real quickly... I love the guy but he is not a fit for a power run-first scheme where you want to go over the top off of play action, and please don't cite how well he occasionally lays blocks for Gurley. Rams will probably trade him this offseason to a team that does throw the ball all over hell and creation, where he'll fit much better. Recoup a pick for a non-fit player, and draft some big WRs that fit WTF the Rams want to be.

I agree with you on Tavon. I do wonder- If Rams are creating "packages" for a player to be effective in the offense, does it take away from the rhythm of their offense especially their play action passing. Tavon may be a decent player but he doesn't fit power running play action passing since he still cannot run a route like a good receiver.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
One thing we have to remember for these guys becoming free agents, they may very likely sign elsewhere regardless if the Rams try to sign them back. That happens all the time in free agency, teams overpay for players. Not to mention that they may want to go to a team where they can win or a team that pays them the most. Outside of cutting or trading anyone, we could be moving on next year from multiple guys we don't want to see leave. This offseason is going to be pretty scary really.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I think you're pretty alone on Tavon. he's actually the perfect compliment to Gurley. why would you get rid of a player with 7 touchdowns this season, leads the team in receiving and second in rushing. Tavon fits into this system fine. the player who obviously isn't fit is Foles. but idk what options they have there. but I'm sure Fisher will talk out his ass and keep him around and supporting him through year two and have the defense waste away its elite window of opportunity while the offense sputters and runs Gurley into the ground.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Interesting takes, here's my little predictions:

1. DE Long. will redo his contract with a lower cap number.

2. TE Cook. Hm flush $2.6m of dead money, or spend $8.3m on an underachieving TE. He seems to be kind of a featured guy of the team in front of the camera, and Fisher goes out of his way to talk him up (as recently as last week the "he always bounces back" and "I've known him a long time" comments). Should get cut but I could see Fisher riding out his contract out of some weird loyalty.

3. OG Saffold. I think this is another loyalty thing with Fisher, he does not hold injuries against vets (see Scott Wells). Plus it's $3m of dead money to save $3m. I think he stays.

4. WR Quick. Your comments were spot on!

5. WR Austin. 0% chance he's not a Ram next year.

6. C Barnes. again I agree with your comments and he will not sign a lowball offer from the Rams, another team will sign him

7. CB Jenkins. I don't think the Rams front office will franchise any player, and they won't overpay for him so I think he's gone.

8. CB Johnson. I think it's about 50/50, I don't think he's going to get the crazy contract offers teams will throw at JJ

9. K Zuerlein. another Fisher favorite I think resigns at a home town discount

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

It seems like crazy talk, trading Tavon in the offseason. But ask yourself, what if someone offered a #2 pick for him ... and an above mediocre OL-man? You could use that extra #2 pick to take or even trade up to take a stud WR. I might be inclined to take such a trade.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the Rams and Demoff will make every effort to retain players where possible as to not have to replace. How this plays out - I dunno. I agree that JJ is a likely franchise candidate.

Where I strongly disagree is with Tavon. Virtually every power running team also has a change of pace player as well. If TA was such a misfit toy, he wouldn't have 7 TDs. You don't get rid of weapons that work just to earn style points. Fish is a big believer in mismatches. I think this is why we are still seeing Cook in games. It's why we drafted Tavon. It's why he drafted Chris Johnson.

What I am guessing is that if Fish is back next year, we see a continuation of the building and an attempt to retain as many Snisher picks as possible. I think we will go after a big receiver high in the draft and maybe a TE. We may even be looking at a high draft pick at MLB.

I think TA is a high priority for Fish as is JJ AND Tru. Our O-line will be viewed as built and have a year in the NFL to become our O-line of the future. You are probably right on Saffold being gone.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It seems like crazy talk, trading Tavon in the offseason. But ask yourself, what if someone offered a #2 pick for him ... and an above mediocre OL-man? You could use that extra #2 pick to take or even trade up to take a stud WR. I might be inclined to take such a trade.

All of that for our only receiving weapon? I tell them to add in their biggest wide receiver and their next two first round picks or shove off. No way I trade one of the only two threats on this team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why would you take a 2nd round pick for someone who accounts for half your entire team's TDs? You are wanting to use him and a #1 to gamble on getting replacement value? I suppose that also depends on what you consider an above mediocre O-lineman. Above mediocre says no upgrade at all to me - so it is a wasted acquisition. I'd rather see how our VERY young O-linemen develop. Seems like a really bad move. I'd rather use our 2nd from Philly, and our first to grab a top WR to ADD to TA and Gurley.

Considering what an actual upgrade veteran O-lineman would cost us and our recent experience with that has been, I think I take our chances with TA and the beef we've already drafted, then work the phones to see if you can grab an elite WR prospect.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Why would you take a 2nd round pick for someone who accounts for half your entire team's TDs? You are wanting to use him and a #1 to gamble on getting replacement value? I suppose that also depends on what you consider an above mediocre O-lineman. Above mediocre says no upgrade at all to me - so it is a wasted acquisition. I'd rather see how our VERY young O-linemen develop. Seems like a really bad move. I'd rather use our 2nd from Philly, and our first to grab a top WR to ADD to TA and Gurley.

Considering what an actual upgrade veteran O-lineman would cost us and our recent experience with that has been, I think I take our chances with TA and the beef we've already drafted, then work the phones to see if you can grab an elite WR prospect.

Understood. That seems pretty logical to me, too. Let me change what I said a bit. How about a high #2 pick and an established "very good" OL-man who is 28 years old or younger? A high #2 pick meaning pick number 33-43 in the draft. I know Tavon is awesome but we need a better OLine and a real deal WR.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You better get their stud receiver, if you're going off of hopes of draft picks than you better make sure you hit with a 100% accuracy no GM has mastered or you and Billy Devaney are going to have quite the conversation about what to do after you lose your GMing job.

You don't trade your only offense weapon outside of Gurley for hopes and dreams.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Long - Contract has to be redone or he's probably gone.
Cook - Gone
Saffold - Gone
Quick - Might return on a vet min deal
Austin - A keeper
Barnes - Unknown what the market will bear. Might get overpaid or the Barksdale treatment.
Jenkins - Franchised
Johnson - Probably gets more $$ elsewhere
Zuerlien - Not going anywhere unless he tanks rest of season.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Why do people have to pigeon hole schemes? Because we run a power run scheme we can't have a Tavon Austin? Newsflash, our 1-2 punch of Gurley and Austin WORKS! It actually works really effin well. Just because it isn't what you normally consider a power run scheme doesn't mean we can't run this our own version. He isn't even doing all his damage receiving, Tavon is getting some quality rushing yards that benefit and create more unpredictability in our run scheme. Getting rid of him is a horrible idea. I could understand if this was a money issue, but it isn't, it is unnecessary tinkering of our offense.

I don't count Long out either. For sure isn't the #1 sure thing cut this offseason. And then you also want to gut our offensive line for no reason?

In your scenario we need 2 Wide Receivers, 1 Cornerback, 2 Linemen, 1 TE, and a kicker. And how do you expect we replace these guys? Signing other free agents doesn't make sense if it is a money issue and it is unrealistic to think you can find players in the draft that will perform better than the guys we are getting rid of.

I'm not sure why people always insist we gut our team. Perhaps it is the many "rebuilds" we have gone through that has given us the fans a mentality of simply cleaning house. I'm not sure. I say we keep Long one more year, draft his replacement, cut Cook, and possibly lose Tru because we pay for Jenkins. Definitely keep Zuerlein who just nailed a 61 yard kick. I'd entertain bringing Quick back at a low salary but that isn't likely.Also keeping both linemen.

Now in my offseason we just need 1 CB, 1 TE, and look for upgrades for the future. We aren't in a salary cap crisis. We can manage to sign some of these guys without giving others the boot.