49ers planning to go hard after Kirk Cousins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But I do bristle at the notion that Kyle developed Cousins. He didn't. It would be like crediting Jerry Rhome (Rams OC in 1998) with developing Kurt Warner.

Wow, Jerry Rhome, the one and only who wanted to keep Will Furrer over Kurt Warner in 98, Good thing Vermeil overruled him.

He got the nod as the starter in their first year in Week 2. He got benched for Colt McCoy during their 7th game. Colt McCoy later got benched for RGIII when he returned from injury. Cousins didn't play well enough to keep the starting job that year.

If you rationalize it after the fact, it does. But Kirk had every chance to take hold of the starting job in 2014. He failed to do it. RGIII was injured. There was no threat of getting benched for RGIII.

I think highly of both guys. I think Kyle is a very brilliant offensive mind (unsure about his personality, though). We'll see how Kyle does in SF. But I do bristle at the notion that Kyle developed Cousins. He didn't. It would be like crediting Jerry Rhome (Rams OC in 1998) with developing Kurt Warner.

I should have been more clear. I was referring to when Cousins went into the season as the clear-cut starter from the beginning with all the confidence of keeping it, not the roller coaster ride of when RG3, Cousins, or McCoy could be activated as the starter on a game by game basis during the season.

You can "bristle" all you want but the fact is no one but Cousins, Shanahan, or those monitoring their activities in practice, film breakdown, and meetings can make any defining statement on what credit, if any, Shanahan deserves in Cousins development.

We can both speculate all we want, but it is just that speculation, not fact. So it really is pointless to continue going on back and forth when neither is going to change the others mind. Now in this discussion, I've added what influenced my opinion, which is seeing all the games and having access to all the local media as it all transpired during those years. I'm curious what your supporting background is other than game stats?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We can both speculate all we want, but it is just that speculation, not fact. So it really is pointless to continue going on back and forth when neither is going to change the others mind. Now in this discussion, I've added what influenced my opinion, which is seeing all the games and having access to all the local media as it all transpired during those years. I'm curious what your supporting background is other than game stats?

Watching Cousins's film back then to determine if he was a worthwhile trade candidate because I had a high opinion of him as a draft prospect.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-saga-could-culminate-in-2018-transition-tag/

Kirk Cousins saga could culminate in 2018 transition tag

The rules of the franchise tag make it highly unlikely that Washington will use the device both in 2017 and in 2018 on quarterback Kirk Cousins. But there’s a little-known rule that could come into play next year.

In 2017, the franchise tag would give Cousins a 20-percent raise over his $19.95 million franchise tag from 2016, which becomes $23.94 million for 16 games. Next year, the franchise tag would result in a 44-percent raise, which would be $34.47 million.

This means that Washington, as a practical matter, wouldn’t use the franchise tag on Cousins in 2018 — if they use it in 2017.

But the Collective Bargaining Agreement provides another route. Washington could apply the franchise tag this year and the transition tag in 2018. By rule, this would result in only a 20-percent increase over Cousins’ $23.94 million compensation in 2017.

That approach would cost $28.78 million in 2018, but that would be nearly $6 million less than a third use of the franchise tag. More importantly, it would make the formula for a long-term deal based on the franchise tag more affordable (or less unaffordable) than it otherwise would be. Instead of a long-term deal premised on Cousins making $23.94 million this year and $34.47 million next year, Washington could offer $23.94 million plus $28.78 million over the first two years of a long-term deal. That’s $52.72 million over two years. Yes, that would make Cousins the highest-paid player in football. But what others make doesn’t matter when a player’s leverage is determined by the rules of the franchise and transition tags.

While the transition tag carries no compensation, it would Washington the right to match any offer Cousins attracts on the open market in 2018. The question then would be whether Cousins wants to sign an offer sheet that Washington would be inclined to match, or one that Washington wouldn’t match.

Washington started down this path in 2016 by using the franchise tag and not signing Cousins to a long-term deal. He now has the upper hand, and there’s no reason why he shouldn’t use it.

When owners take full advantage of business leverage, they’re praised for being shrewd. When players do it, they’re often called selfish. Regardless, Cousins currently has nothing to lose by letting things play out.

If Washington tags him again this year, Cousins gets $23.94 million for one more year — and either $28.78 million in 2018 or a clean shot at the open market. If Washington doesn’t tag him, the open market will set his value now.

Either way, Cousins will win. All that’s left to be determined is who pays him and how much.

Either way, Cousins will win. All that’s left to be determined is who pays him and how much.

Absolutely, Cousins couldn't have played it out any better. The thing about Cousins that is different in how many other players have reacted to the franchise tag is that he hasn't complained about it one bit, and even applauded the team for wanting him bad enough to do the franchise tag. Now the tag for a QB is higher than most, but it is the complaining while still getting millions guaranteed that makes other players look selfish. I doubt anyone views Cousins as selfish. He's worked hard, improved year to year, been a team player without complaints, says the rights things, and in the end will get a big payday one way or another.

Is he the best player in the league to be getting payed more than say Rodgers? No. Is he even in the top five of QB's in the league? Probably not, at least not right now, but that isn't the way it works in sports. It's a constant surpassing of the last biggest salary. In another five years, after getting paid, he may not even be one of the five highest paid QB's anymore. There are some key positions you just have to solidify, even if paying top dollar to do so, so you can start focusing on other holes, and the Redskins have plenty of them on defense. It would be a shame to start over looking for another franchise type QB when you already have one on the roster.