49ers planning to go hard after Kirk Cousins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It'd be nice if the 49ers continued to struggle, but I'd rather not base our chances of success on other teams sucking. I'd rather we get to the point that it doesn't matter who does what, because we'll run them all through the same L.A. Rams Buzzsaw.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I saw that too @jrry32, but I can't see Redskins letting him walk. He's immensely more talented than the qb's coming out and with the redskins just missing the playoffs, I can't imagine they want to enter a rebuild and start next year with a potential top 5 qb.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It'd be nice if the 49ers continued to struggle, but I'd rather not base our chances of success on other teams sucking. I'd rather we get to the point that it doesn't matter who does what, because we'll run them all through the same L.A. Rams Buzzsaw.

Let's get out of Suckville. Then we'll allow the 49ers to come back, so we can beat them back down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Let's get out of Suckville. Then we'll allow the 49ers to come back, so we can beat them back down.

The Niners have won the last 3 meetings between to 2 rivals. So back up ?? Did they have 3 wins & 2 against The Rams ?? To lazy to look up.

Colt McCoy played for the Niners. He has looked good as a back up ?
What is the franchise tag rule ? How many years can they tag a player ??

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
There is an interesting way that the 49ers could get Cousins without giving up the #2 pick. Once free agency opens they can communicate a multi-year deal they are willing to sign him to. If the Redskins won't make him a similar offer, both the 49ers and Cousins can wait until after the draft to finalize a front loaded multi-year deal that the Redskins can't afford to match. The 49ers would lose their 2018 & 2019 first round picks, which combined, will likely be less valuable than this year's pick by itself. It's a viable strategy, especially with the 49ers projected 2017 cap space.

Edit. Looks like they are planning to place the exclusive tag on him to prevent this.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is an interesting way that the 49ers could get Cousins without giving up the #2 pick. Once free agency opens they can communicate a multi-year deal they are willing to sign him to. If the Redskins won't make him a similar offer, both the 49ers and Cousins can wait until after the draft to finalize a front loaded multi-year deal that the Redskins can't afford to match. The 49ers would lose their 2018 & 2019 first round picks, which combined, will likely be less valuable than this year's pick by itself. It's a viable strategy, especially with the 49ers projected 2017 cap space.

Edit. Looks like they are planning to place the exclusive tag on him to prevent this.

The Redskins can afford to match any deal, in the event that they don't place the exclusive tag on him. They have something like $67 million in cap room heading into FA. And Kirk's franchise tag number is insanely high.

Scirca

Rookie
Redskins would be stupid to give up Kirk Cousins for the #2 pick. Who are they going to pick? Deshaun Watson? LOL....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Redskins would be stupid to give up Kirk Cousins for the #2 pick. Who are they going to pick? Deshaun Watson? LOL....

There are rumors that the Redskins believe they can get Colt McCoy to produce like Cousins. Don't know if they're true.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
There are rumors that the Redskins believe they can get Colt McCoy to produce like Cousins. Don't know if they're true.
If those rumors are true(most likely not), then they are dumber than shit. No Shanny, No McVay. Who is gonna get Colt to produce like Cousins? Colt is no Cousins lol.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I have no doubts that Cousins will be retained by the Redskins. If the 49ers are planning on taking a QB #2 overall, they are looking at some highly questionable options.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no doubts that Cousins will be retained by the Redskins. If the 49ers are planning on taking a QB #2 overall, they are looking at some highly questionable options.

Agreed.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Or it could be a three way trade where we ship Goff to the Whiners and we end up with Cousins.

:redcard:

TexasRam

Legend
Shannahan and cousins ain't enough.

With that Niners Oline and WR crew the net result of a Cousins/ Shanahan marriage would be equal to the 2016
Rams offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shannahan and cousins ain't enough.

With that Niners Oline and WR crew the net result of a Cousins/ Shanahan marriage would be equal to the 2016
Rams offense.

49ers have the money to upgrade both this offseason.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ill-belichick-kirk-cousins-antonio-brown-more

Adam Schefter is reporting that the 49ers will pursue Cousins. Might even offer the Redskins a package including the #2 overall pick.

Personally, I'd rather Kyle Shanahan not get his hands on Cousins. That would give the 49ers a heck of a start on becoming a threat again.

Just having Shanahan gives makes them a threat again. I have always felt that he was the most accomplished, and ready coach for any new team out there. I hate that he didn't thumb his nose at the Niners like so many others did. He is more confident than those other coaches, who wanted a more ideal situation, I guess. I hope the Rams got the right guy.

FRO

Legend
Jimmy Garoppolo would be a nice fit in the Shanahan offense. Their second and fourth round picks should get the job done. That's a high price to pay for a guy with limited starts, but you always have to overpay at QB.