OFFICIAL 2024 NFL Trades, cuts, free agency, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Anybody think Derrick Brown is a viable pick up or possibility for the rams. Isn't he in his contract year and would Carolina mess this up like Burns if the rams came knocking? They need draft picks?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I like the idea of Haason Riddick as a situational pass rusher but he's not an every down backer. And I don't want to pay a long term contract to a 30 year old part time player. So yeah just kind of depends on the deal and what he's wanting. If we trade a day three pick for a one or two year rental I'd feel better about it.
Why do you say he's not an every down backer? He has 800+ snaps in every season for the last 4 years.

Psycho_X

Legend
Why do you say he's not an every down backer? He has 800+ snaps in every season for the last 4 years.
Just because he has been doesn't mean he should be. He's a liability in coverage and gets over powered in the run game. He's a speed guy around edge and that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have his sacks on my team I'm just very hesitant to commit $25 million a year (what he's asking for) plus draft picks to a 30 year old one trick pony.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Just because he has been doesn't mean he should be. He's a liability in coverage and gets over powered in the run game. He's a speed guy around edge and that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have his sacks on my team I'm just very hesitant to commit $25 million a year (what he's asking for) plus draft picks to a 30 year old one trick pony.
Oh, but what a trick it is! I understand your perspective since we agree that he is a liability in coverage and merely average in the run game. (But still better than Hoecht.) How else do you propose they find someone who can produce 50 sacks and 235 total pressures (sacks, hits, hurries) over 4 years?

And don't tell me pick 19 b/c there's a 50% chance that pick will bust and even if it's a hit, it's unlikely to match Reddick's pass rush numbers.

Edit: FWIW, when Reddick was drafted in 2017, he was rated higher than every edge rusher in this class.

Psycho_X

Legend
Oh, but what a trick it is! I understand your perspective since we agree that he is a liability in coverage and merely average in the run game. (But still better than Hoecht.) How else do you propose they find someone who can produce 50 sacks and 235 total pressures (sacks, hits, hurries) over 4 years?

And don't tell me pick 19 b/c there's a 50% chance that pick will bust and even if it's a hit, it's unlikely to match Reddick's pass rush numbers.
We probably don't, at least for 2024, from a single person at this point. I do think we could draft someone who will help like Young last season. If Young takes a step this season and increases his sack #s and we nab another rookie who can contribute 6-8 sacks on other side that could be enough. Especially if we have strong coverage. It's not ideal but our options are limited and overpaying for one guy long term isn't a good plan imo. If we can get him for a third day pick and a 1-2 year deal then sure. But with several teams in the mix for him it's probably going to be more expensive than I like. But I also trust McSnead so if they make that choice I'll accept it.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
Fulton was the 61st pick in the 2030 NFL draft.
back to the future volver al futuro GIF

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
We probably don't, at least for 2024, from a single person at this point. I do think we could draft someone who will help like Young last season. If Young takes a step this season and increases his sack #s and we nab another rookie who can contribute 6-8 sacks on other side that could be enough. Especially if we have strong coverage. It's not ideal but our options are limited and overpaying for one guy long term isn't a good plan imo. If we can get him for a third day pick and a 1-2 year deal then sure. But with several teams in the mix for him it's probably going to be more expensive than I like. But I also trust McSnead so if they make that choice I'll accept it.
I guess it depends on their goals for this year. At first I thought we were primed for a SB run. Now with AD retiring I'm not so sure. If they're going for the gold, then I feel they need a vet difference maker in that front 7. Sack numbers by themselves tell us nothing. Consider that Hoecht last year got 6-8 sacks. But he doesn't create them; he's mostly the cleanup crew. Even Young, who was great as a rookie, wasn't really creating them by himself. He benefitted greatly from the AD effect.

You can't count on any rookie being a difference maker. You hope for the best but understand that it could take a year or two before they start having that impact.

If they're trying to win it all, I'd rather "overpay" a highly productive vet for a year or two while the window is open with Stafford and Kupp. Besides, I don't consider $20 - $22 mil. for a highly productive pass rusher to be an overpayment. If they can get him for a 4th or even a late 3rd and sign him to a 1-2 extension, it would be worth it.

dang

Legend
Would Calais Campbell be a smart move? He’s generally regarded as a DE but can he play OLB/Edge? I’m jonesing for vet presence on the Rams defense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Would Calais Campbell be a smart move? He’s generally regarded as a DE but can he play OLB/Edge? I’m jonesing for vet presence on the Rams defense.
Jonah Williams is generally regarded as a DE. So I’d say yes, probably.