2017 Rams free agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFT

UDFA
Get rid of TJ. Most overrated player on the defense. Go back and watch him in coverage last year and this year. His coverage skills are very poor. He can bring the hit but his tackling isn't that good either. He lives off the rep of his father and he is no Tim McDonald! Not worth the money. I like the idea of moving Alexander to SS in his place.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TJ is the only must resign
I disagree, he's the easiest to replace. While I love TJ and he's obviously a SoCal favorite having gone to USC we already have his replacement on the roster in Mo Alexander. TruJo and GZ are the two we should keep. Benny would be nice but is replaceable. Most of this depends on our coaching situation though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Get rid of TJ. Most overrated player on the defense. Go back and watch him in coverage last year and this year. His coverage skills are very poor. He can bring the hit but his tackling isn't that good either. He lives off the rep of his father and he is no Tim McDonald! Not worth the money. I like the idea of moving Alexander to SS in his place.
While I think he's the easiest to replace it's not TJ's role to play in coverage the majority of the time.

lockdnram21

Legend
I disagree, he's the easiest to replace. While I love TJ and he's obviously a SoCal favorite having gone to USC we already have his replacement on the roster in Mo Alexander. TruJo and GZ are the two we should keep. Benny would be nice but is replaceable. Most of this depends on our coaching situation though.
Tru isn't worth what he will cost.. He's only a good #2. If Bills don't franchise Gilmore I would take him over Tru

lockdnram21

Legend
I take that back GZ is the only 1 I resign. Alexander should move to SS and move Joyner Fs. Then if Troy Hill gets his head on shoulder he should be slot cb. I would try and Sign Stephen Gilmore over Tru if was possible

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On the Strong Safety TJ McDonald conversation......if The entire Fisher regime is released meaning that Gregg Williams departs do we really think the next DC will keep Mark Barron who is a 6-2 1/2 213 pound thin safety @ starting LB'er? Barron is already the small man in comparison to safeties Alexander 220 pounds, Mc Donald 219 pounds. I think its doubtful at best. Barron most likely would return to his previous college & pro position @ Strong Safety with a new DC. If your thinking that you would just place Barron in the back role???you don't pay a strong safety 9 million a yr to sit on the bench either @ safety or WSLB'er.

If you are thinking that the Rams would just release Barron to sign TJ McDonald a nice sized contract think again Mark Barron signed a 5 year, $45,000,000 contract this yr, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $20,000,000 guaranteed, & an average annual salary of $9,000,000. There is a boatload of serious dead money if that was to take place.

Then add into the mix that Mo Alexander may be a better overall more talented SS than TJ. Mo is not deep free safety & a new DC will desire a half way decent ball hawk playmaker in @ deep safety post in the back of his defense, something Mo does not have an once of in his body. IMO after watching Mo play this season, He is being wasted @ FS when he could be up close to the LOS making big plays. Mo is an iron man something TJ is far from being after many nagging injuries & 2 previous seasons on the IR.

Then there also other signed Rams DB's who will be already here in 2017 who should enter the picture @ strong safety like Brian Randolph & ex starting SSLB'er Lamarcus Joyner. Then throw in 5 yr veteran safety Cody Davis who also just signed a new contract this yr. Then there are other current rookie safeties in the mix like Marqui Christian & Isaiah Johnson.

Bottom Line with so many possible strong safety prospects (Mo Alexander, Mark Barron, Lamarcus Joyner, Brian Randolph ......) already here & signed for the 2017 season why in the world would you place the signing of the often injured SS TJ McDonald back into an already very crowded position, high on needs for this 2017 team roster?

P.S. If Barron was relocated back @ LOS Strong Safety post I would then turn my attention toward Cinn UFA CB Dre Kirkpatrick to have a reunion I think is would be good to have theses two former Bama All Stars playing in the secondary again.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
My opinion?
Keep Trumaine, Zuerlein, and Benny (along with the RFAs and ERFAs)
Let Britt, T.J., and the others walk
Possibly keep Quick on a "prove it" deal if he's cheap

I say let Britt walk because I am hoping that Fisher is fired. If he is, I don't trust Britt with another HC. I say let T.J. walk because we should move Mo Alexander to SS and LaMarcus Joyner to FS. Both those guys would be better players at those positions imo.

I like this.

Britt will cost more than Quick and who knows about Fisher's future. If you commit to Quick I would say a 3-4 year deal to give Goff a longer term WR partner. I don't see him costing a great deal while he has improved. There are so many areas that need to be addressed. It's going to be a long off season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like this.Britt will cost more than Quick and who knows about Fisher's future. If you commit to Quick I would say a 3-4 year deal to give Goff a longer term WR partner. I don't see him costing a great deal while he has improved. There are so many areas that need to be addressed. It's going to be a long off season.
Interesting discussion here Kenny Britt verses Brian Quick...... KB market value will most likely be above 7 mil.a season BQ IMO would be lucky to get a third of what KB best of offers. Not much difference between these two in terms of size skill & talent truthfully. As its stands today I think its highly probable that Fisher will depart:yess: thus I would move to get Quick signed at a much lower rate & shop for another #1 wide out beside KB.

Here just a little stuff that comes to my mind on why I would go BQ over KB & why BQ can be had for much lower figure.

Quick who after his first 5 seasons in the NFL:
*has averaged only 5 starts a season.
*was only able to earn a starting position one season (2014).
*is presently only the Rams 3rd wide out of one of the weakest starting WR units in the NFL.
* only avg.19 catches @ avg.of 14 yds a catch & avg. of 2 TD's a season.
* is NOT going to get a ton of high $$$ offers from other 31 teams in comparison to Kenny Britt's market value.

Currently I thinking this way.....Rams Org. is stuck with Multipurpose offensive player Tavon Austin for a few seasons, Go & get you your #1 wide out in free agency, & keep BQ who would be a good 3rd WR to go with 2nd season WR's like Cooper, Thomas & Spruce. You could throw other signed WR's like Bradley Marquez, Paul Mc Roberts & Marquez North.

RFT

UDFA
While I think he's the easiest to replace it's not TJ's role to play in coverage the majority of the time.

Actually it is the SS responsibility to play coverage on pass plays most (unless blitzing, etc.) of the time. The SS definitely gives run support at times, but he usually will have the responsibility to cover a TE or RB on passing plays. At that, he is very poor.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Re-sign Tru Johnson, Cunningham & Zuerlein, ...

TJ McDonald, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Chase Reynolds & Cam Thomas can all take a walk.

CAP cut Saffold, Barnes, Sims, Mason

Hit the road :
Rhaney, Keenum, Pace Murphy

2017 Free Agency :

LT - Matt Kalil (short term 'prove-it deal' coming off IR)
LG - Ron Leary
WR - Alshon Jeffery
DE - Dion Jordan (another inexpensive rotational IR bargain)
DT - Abry Jones (rotation behind Brockers)

2017 Draft :

1) N/A
2) C/OG - Ethan Pocic, LSU or Pat Elflein, Oh.St
3) OG/OT - Zach Banner, USC
4) CB - Chidobe Awuzie, Co.
5) S - Jonathan Ford, Aub.
6) WR - Travin Dural, LSU

2017 O-Line :

LT - Kalil
LG - Leary
C - Pocic
RG - GRob