Your Top 5 at #19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm warming on DeJean...I've been against taking a DB early but he has versatility and is a playmaker, and we need to get better at creating turnovers
DeJean oddly might have the highest ceiling of all defenders in the 1st round. I'd like some pass rush but ain't gonna freak if we get him.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DeJean oddly might have the highest ceiling of all defenders in the 1st round. I'd like some pass rush but ain't gonna freak if we get him.
Honestly, a small trade down and drafting DeJean sounds very appealing. Worst case, he's a pro bowl level safety and, while the safety position seems to get shit on, a great safety can be a huge boost to a defense.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Honestly, a small trade down and drafting DeJean sounds very appealing. Worst case, he's a pro bowl level safety and, while the safety position seems to get shit on, a great safety can be a huge boost to a defense.
Worst case is he's a pro bowl safety AND a top 10 punt returner!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Cooper DeJean a lot but THAT'S a pretty optimistic "worst case" scenario.
You're right, that is pretty optimistic. I think he has elite safety traits, so, maybe being a very good safety is his floor. But his ceiling may include being the best safety in the league too.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If I'm keeping the pick at 19.. it has to be a day one, plus starter for me.. otherwise.. trade back.

I know many have Latu high.. I'm skeptical. He was handled in Senior Bowl practices.. and Moses took care of him in the season. He feasted against guys who were average or below.

DeJean is a guy who is probably a plus starter at safety right away with position flexibility... so, I wouldn't lose it if they picked him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You don't pass on a LT like Fuaga because of Jackson and definitely not because of Logan Bruss. That's terrible management.
Agreed. He handled Latu quite well. Power, size and feet are hard to find. Like with QB it is a supply and demand issue, as well as a cornerstone building block position. So many other positions can be had other than up high, but probably not LT.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I am not sure if Fuaga can play LT.

But the Rams will have a massive need at both tackle spots next year most likely. Might as well get one now.

Fuaga would be a dominant RT in my opinion and might be a LT as well.

Not a sexy pick but gets us more physical, which is essential in our division.
Hav is signed through 2025 on a good contract. Are you thinking the Rams will cut him or he'll retire?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. He handled Latu quite well. Power, size and feet are hard to find. Like with QB it is a supply and demand issue, as well as a cornerstone building block position. So many other positions can be had other than up high, but probably not LT.
Yeah I get that he played RT but a lot of those guys that evaluate and rate OL believe that he can play LT in the NFL. It is a bit of a projection sure but the physical traits and the mentality is there IMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah I get that he played RT but a lot of those guys that evaluate and rate OL believe that he can play LT in the NFL. It is a bit of a projection sure but the physical traits and the mentality is there IMO.
Over the years I've relied upon Lance Zierlein (Dad was former NFL OLine coach) and OLine Draft Media guy Brandon Thorn when it comes to OLinemen.

Zierlein thinks he a RT who could play OG, while Thorn thinks he's an OG who could play OT in a pinch.

Either way, I wonder if he makes it to #19.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Apparently, you have some inside information of which the rest of us don't have access.

However, I noticed that while you have probably posted more than anyone else on this thread, you have yet to list your top 5 players at the #19 selection.:thinking:
Turner would be there ?

Latu
Verse
Mitchell/Arnold
3- LT’s

Looking at it though if Turner,Latu,Verse are off the board,
I’d trade back.That would the best situation. This draft with 3 picks from Top 50. Would fill needs & talent.

I’d even be looking to trade a 2025 pick ? The Rams will have 2 3rd rd picks.Les Snead will be working the phone plus having patients.

I have my players circled with value,which you say will be solid NFL Players. Going with Thomas imo isn’t worth it.There to much talent at WR.

Finding a RB is key in Top 100,but

OLB - DE - DT are more important .

Sideline to sideline LBer.

Cb’s- Db’s.

The Rams have a lot of needs.Having a Top De/OLB that gets after the QB is priceless.

There are a few combo’s I’d go with
that works.I like Blitzing !! I like having quick players & solid DE’s
—This draft has some team key position players that can really make The Rams defense good.

Not a Fan of colbie Durant.He would be a good rotational guy.
Kendrick ?? How much has he grown after 2 years

Reeder & Rozenboom are ok,but finding that LBer that can play everywhere like a Peyton Wilson

Watson from Mississippi . Move him in a rotation.Bring in a Big DE like a Brockers.There are a few of those & Big DT/NT.
There’s names & players of value .

My question is Shula going to coach more like Wade Phillips,but add more detail & rotations ?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wait, some people are considering Fuaga?

He’s one of the best run-blockers to come out in years…but he’s a complete mess as a pass-protector. Jordan Burch (Oregon, 2025 class) whipped his ass. Not an edge, but a raw 3-4 DE.

His footwork is unfixable; he can’t really shuffle, he bends at the waist, and his pass-protection technique is shit because he thinks of himself only as a run-blocker, gets caught leaning forward all the time. It’s bad, and if he wasn’t the best run blocker I’ve seen in years, I wouldn’t even give him a second round grade.

He’s a right guard only at the next level; if he played right tackle for us, @oldnotdead would have his brain explode in rage - and I wouldn’t be far behind him.

Fuaga, Latham, Mims, Guyton, all of them are on my do-not-draft list.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I dont think we'll go OL in round 1. Would bet a lot of money we dont. Avila was top pick last year plus two huge OL singings in FA.

Murphy
Newton
Verse
Latu
Chop
Arnold
Quinyon

Or trade back to 25-28

AD Mitchell
Legette
Coleman

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Over the years I've relied upon Lance Zierlein (Dad was former NFL OLine coach) and OLine Draft Media guy Brandon Thorn when it comes to OLinemen.

Zierlein thinks he a RT who could play OG, while Thorn thinks he's an OG who could play OT in a pinch.

Either way, I wonder if he makes it to #19.
All due respect to Zierline but I'd rather be wrong trusting my eyes on a player than acting like some expert is infallible. Nobody bats a thousand in this business and I certainly don't either but I watched many of the dude's games and in the example cited he won the day overall vs Latu which is extremely hard to do. Latu was the best rusher in the college game last season.

So he's got the feet and ability to position and then adjust while staying in front of the rusher. And his power is a bonus on top of his pass pro. Only real problem with him and LT in general is the redshirt. But I think this guy is good enough to give Jackson a run in camp year one and we'd be in extremely good shape on the OL for the foreseeable future if he slides to us and is the pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
All due respect to Zierline but I'd rather be wrong trusting my eyes on a player than acting like some expert is infallible. Nobody bats a thousand in this business and I certainly don't either but I watched many of the dude's games and in the example cited he won the day overall vs Latu which is extremely hard to do. Latu was the best rusher in the college game last season.

So he's got the feet and ability to position and then adjust while staying in front of the rusher. And his power is a bonus on top of his pass pro. Only real problem with him and LT in general is the redshirt. But I think this guy is good enough to give Jackson a run in camp year one and we'd be in extremely good shape on the OL for the foreseeable future if he slides to us and is the pick.
Oh, I don't believe that anyone is infallible. Not even myself.

But I trust my eyes, too and I believe he's going to have problems with speed rushers rushing from out wide.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I trust my eyes, too and I believe he's going to have problems with speed rushers rushing from out wide.
And that's a far better argument than citing an expert, to my mind at least.

This is far from an exact science but teams are going to take these guys anyway because, again, supply and demand comes into play. There simply aren't enough of them out there. LT is undoubtedly one of the hardest positions to find a gem outside the early going. So if a guy has even many of the skills you're looking for and he's got a good mentality in interviews and reports from his college staff then taking him is probably a good gamble.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

McVay has shown a willingness to adapt and I'm wondering if one potential idea is fortifying the secondary and then being more blitz heavy to generate pressure

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm keeping the pick at 19.. it has to be a day one, plus starter for me.. otherwise.. trade back.

I know many have Latu high.. I'm skeptical. He was handled in Senior Bowl practices.. and Moses took care of him in the season. He feasted against guys who were average or below.

DeJean is a guy who is probably a plus starter at safety right away with position flexibility... so, I wouldn't lose it if they picked him.
Handled?!

By all accounts (I don't claim to have watched all the practices) he was a standout.