LEGEND Your Song of the Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJckGsR-T0

In 1974 10CC recorded their third album, "The Original Soundtrack".
On that album there was a song that would be a production masterpiece, way ahead of its time.
The song is, of course, "I'm Not In Love" written by Eric Stewart and co-writer, Graham Gouldman.

A prominent feature of the song are those amazing, ethereal choral parts.
Since this was pre-digital times, there have been a lot of discussions and theories about how these fantastic voices were produced.

Eric Stewart, explains: "It was Lol that came up with the idea of making tape-loops, that would run endlessly. So, we spent three weeks recording three guys, just singing 'ahhhhhh', on to Strawberry Studios 16-track Studer tape machine. Each note had 16 tracks of three people singing, giving me 48 voices for each note of a chromatic scale. That's 13 notes x 48 voices which gave me 624 voices to play with in my mix"

The 16 tracks notes were then individually mixed down to 1/4 inch tapes that were then looped, from the stereo Studer machine, using mike-stands with rollers to tension tape-loops properly, and then recorded back to the 16 track, so that each note was on a separate track on the 16 track Studer Tape recorder.

Eric Continues: "The four of us then actually got around the control desk, and started to change the notes of each chord as it was changing within the song, moving the notes up and down with the faders, but while this was changing, I also had a constant background of all the 13 voice notes sizzling away just underneath the stereo mix-down. This is where the ethereal sound of 'I'm Not in Love' was developed from".

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJckGsR-T0

In 1974 10CC recorded their third album, "The Original Soundtrack".
On that album there was a song that would be a production masterpiece, way ahead of its time.
The song is, of course, "I'm Not In Love" written by Eric Stewart and co-writer, Graham Gouldman.

A prominent feature of the song are those amazing, ethereal choral parts.
Since this was pre-digital times, there have been a lot of discussions and theories about how these fantastic voices were produced.

Eric Stewart, explains: "It was Lol that came up with the idea of making tape-loops, that would run endlessly. So, we spent three weeks recording three guys, just singing 'ahhhhhh', on to Strawberry Studios 16-track Studer tape machine. Each note had 16 tracks of three people singing, giving me 48 voices for each note of a chromatic scale. That's 13 notes x 48 voices which gave me 624 voices to play with in my mix"

The 16 tracks notes were then individually mixed down to 1/4 inch tapes that were then looped, from the stereo Studer machine, using mike-stands with rollers to tension tape-loops properly, and then recorded back to the 16 track, so that each note was on a separate track on the 16 track Studer Tape recorder.

Eric Continues: "The four of us then actually got around the control desk, and started to change the notes of each chord as it was changing within the song, moving the notes up and down with the faders, but while this was changing, I also had a constant background of all the 13 voice notes sizzling away just underneath the stereo mix-down. This is where the ethereal sound of 'I'm Not in Love' was developed from".

That song always brings back about a million memories

first , I've always really just liked the song itself , always thought it had a beautifully haunting sound

but mostly , I would'a been about 9 years old , with three younger siblings ranging from ages 3 - 7

my parents had a station wagon , and it seemed like , every single time my parents loaded us up into the back of the Station Wagon and dragging us off somewhere , that song was always like the first song playing on the radio , every single time

so , as much as I love that song , every time I hear it , I'm always reminded of four kids arguing in the back of a station wagon

24999344051180478_bd8f016036_z.jpg%25253Fzz%25253D1

26h0n4.jpg

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
That song always brings back about a million memories

first , I've always really just liked the song itself , always thought it had a beautifully haunting sound

but mostly , I would'a been about 9 years old , with three younger siblings ranging from ages 3 - 7

my parents had a station wagon , and it seemed like , every single time my parents loaded us up into the back of the Station Wagon and dragging us off somewhere , that song was always like the first song playing on the radio , every single time

so , as much as I love that song , every time I hear it , I'm always reminded of four kids arguing in the back of a station wagon

24999344051180478_bd8f016036_z.jpg%25253Fzz%25253D1

26h0n4.jpg

What a classic station wagon story. I totally identify. LOL!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tqSIpr0T0w

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

It's a cover of Taylor Swift's song, done by We Came As Romans. I wish I knew this band when their clean vocal singer was still alive, but his voice shines through with this.