Woman Breaks Barrier By Playing Football With Men

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was a preseason game. They gave her a shot. She won't make the team. I don't see the issue.

That is the issue, they GAVE her the shot she didn't earn it. This is being done in the name of "equality" when in reality it is the exact opposite. For example, i'd love a shot to play professional football and I guarantee i would do no worse than what she did, will i be given that shot?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't have a problem with a publicity stunt like this, it's no big deal.

I do have a problem with boys and girls wrestling. IMO it's not appropriate and should never be allowed at any age.

BadCompany

Rookie
I think hockey might be the best sport for a woman to break the professional sports barrier, full-time (as opposed to a Manon Rheume type gimmick). Specifically as a goalie. There the size and strength differences would be mitigated, and a 'somewhat' larger woman of say 5'11, 175lbs would not be out of place, or too small. She would have to have extraordinary reflexes, flexibility and agility, but then so do all goalies.

I've played hockey against women before, and at the lower levels it's not that big a deal. They can generally skate just as good (often better) than most guys, though they tend to have much weaker shots. But unless you're trying to blast one in from the blueline you can work around that too. After a couple of shifts you generally forget that you're playing against a woman. Unless, of course, she starts punching you in the face during a scrum in front of your net, which happened to a friend of mine in a game once. He just stood there letting her punch him in the face because he didn't know what to do - she actually got a penalty for "beating" him up! :LOL:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My son is in first grade and one of our neighbors that plays with him is a very thin girl. He was always too rough so I had to keep telling him that he cannot be so rough with girls. Then we go to his first match and he had a girl to wrestle. At six years old he was a bit conflicted.

I told him that he should treat her like another boy, but he kept saying that he isn't supposed to be too rough With a girl, because that is what Mom and Dad told him.

So, no. I don't put it on him at all.

Yeah I agree boys get these mixed messages so girls don't have to is what it amounts to. Raise your hand if you HAVEN"T met at least one feminist who wanted to be treated like a lady in some fashion.

I am solidly against girls wrestling but if they do solidly in favor of the boy impressing upon her why she shouldn't.

I've seen a number of girls wrestle over the years and due to maturity cycles they can compete at the sport well up until the boys go full swing into puberty then they really start falling behind and start losing to poorer and poorer wrestlers because the skill level in the sport can only generally overcome relatively small differences in strength and hence the weight classes but when strength is relatively equal large differences in results come from ability. So like so many of todays kids they start young ( like your son) and work hard to acquire the skill to excel. It's sad to see, but nearly invariable, parents decide "my girl can wrestle" let / encourage them train as hard as the boys even though there is a dead end ahead of 99% of them called testosterone. They work so hard hoping to have careers in HS and once there get beaten by rank beginners who are just stronger pound for pound and the ONLY thing they can really do about that is "juice" and yeah, some do and yeah, it's obvious and IMO even the ones ,I say even when really ALMOST ALL of those who go on to wrestle in girls competition juice and mask.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is the issue, they GAVE her the shot she didn't earn it. This is being done in the name of "equality" when in reality it is the exact opposite. For example, i'd love a shot to play professional football and I guarantee i would do no worse than what she did, will i be given that shot?

I don't know. Have you ever tried? She was playing on that women's team for awhile. Seems to me like an overreaction.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I saw the three hits she took on a video. One thing is for sure they didn't treat her like a lady when she got the ball.......she took three very hard hits.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah I agree boys get these mixed messages so girls don't have to is what it amounts to. Raise your hand if you HAVEN"T met at least one feminist who wanted to be treated like a lady in some fashion.

I am solidly against girls wrestling but if they do solidly in favor of the boy impressing upon her why she shouldn't.

I've seen a number of girls wrestle over the years and due to maturity cycles they can compete at the sport well up until the boys go full swing into puberty then they really start falling behind and start losing to poorer and poorer wrestlers because the skill level in the sport can only generally overcome relatively small differences in strength and hence the weight classes but when strength is relatively equal large differences in results come from ability. So like so many of todays kids they start young ( like your son) and work hard to acquire the skill to excel. It's sad to see, but nearly invariable, parents decide "my girl can wrestle" let / encourage them train as hard as the boys even though there is a dead end ahead of 99% of them called testosterone. They work so hard hoping to have careers in HS and once there get beaten by rank beginners who are just stronger pound for pound and the ONLY thing they can really do about that is "juice" and yeah, some do and yeah, it's obvious and IMO even the ones ,I say even when really ALMOST ALL of those who go on to wrestle in girls competition juice and mask.

My wife offered an interesting perspective. She does not agree with girls wrestling boys. However she was a Soccer Goalie at a college that has a very good to excellent soccer program. She said that it girls that wrestled had an advantage in strength and toughness, both mentally and physically and that it has become a strategy of female athletes to spend some time wrestling to improve their overall, strength, physicality, balance, athleticism, etc,...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My wife offered an interesting perspective. She does not agree with girls wrestling boys. However she was a Soccer Goalie at a college that has a very good to excellent soccer program. She said that it girls that wrestled had an advantage in strength and toughness, both mentally and physically and that it has become a strategy of female athletes to spend some time wrestling to improve their overall, strength, physicality, balance, athleticism, etc,...

I'm thinking this is an opportunity. I can offer to train college athletes by wrestling with them because it'll improve their skills. I think I'm on to something here.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If I was going to start over with my kids I'd have them work in gymnastics to train for wrestling,so yeah there's benefit to be gained by doing more strenuous sports when competing in the less.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
She never was officially on the roster. So yeah it was a gimmick.

I really don't like the lines crossed on this matter. My sons second wrestling match was against a girl. He didn't want to wrestler here because I always tell him he cannot be rough with girls because he would hurt her. He didn't have much choice and went out and lost because he didn't know how to wrestle her without hurting her. He was very timid and afraid to make a move. He is usually very aggressive and not concerned in the least to cause some pain with a gut wrench or a chin in the chest.

I see other older girls wrestling with mixed results. Some are good but some boys are like my son. They don't know where to put their hands and seem awkward when wrestling girls. Especially the older ones that have started to develop.

Mike and Mike were asking Jemelle Hill what major sport a woman my be able to start in. She said Basketball. I say no way. The whole idea is ludicrous, unless your talking about WWE.

I agree with Hill about it being hoops, IF it ever does happen. It isn't as physical, there is so much less contact and doesn't require any significant strength unless you are making your living in the paint. On the perimeter as a passer and shooter it could happen if there was an unusually gifted women. If she could dribble and keep a defender off, or create her own shot it would be possible.

Baseball could also be a possibility because some positions can be played by guys who are lousy shape anyway. First base isn't that difficult, and if a woman had a decent arm catcher could be on the list too.

I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.......

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree with Hill about it being hoops, IF it ever does happen. It isn't as physical, there is so much less contact and doesn't require any significant strength unless you are making your living in the paint. On the perimeter as a passer and shooter it could happen if there was an unusually gifted women. If she could dribble and keep a defender off, or create her own shot it would be possible.

Baseball could also be a possibility because some positions can be played by guys who are lousy shape anyway. First base isn't that difficult, and if a woman had a decent arm catcher could be on the list too.

I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.......

I don't watch basketball enough to say but Hill thinks Candace Parker could play in the NBA today. Agree?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Elm I have no idea I don't watch the ladies play, hell I haven't watched the guys play much the last couple of years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't watch basketball enough to say but Hill thinks Candace Parker could play in the NBA today. Agree?

I don't watch the WNBA so I'm not sure but someone told me that Cheryl Miller used to beat her brother, Reggie, playing 1 on 1. Her brother Reggie is NBA Hall of Famer, Reggie Miller. Obviously, this was before he was a pro but she might have been able to play in the NBA. Was just ahead of her time.

grease

Wrestling girls would see me get to third base every time. Cross training is good.

Ram_of_Old

BRAVO! I don't see a problem unless of course she wants to play center. But she is so small, I don't think that will happen...:rolleyes:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
As a sidenote, WWE used to have mixed tag team matches where a tag team of a man and woman battled another such team. Now instead they have "intergender matches". Same concept, but if the man does anything to the woman, he's disqualified.

As well, Chyna had a bit of a run with then men, and Beth Phoenix and Kharma entered the Royal Rumble once apiece.

Although I freely admit Kharma could beat the crap out of me, so there's that.
17565_Awesome_Kong_448877a.jpg