With the 111th pick in the NFL draft the Rams take Brian Allen C

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Center Michigan

Some brothers hug, other brothers line up together on a Big Ten offensive line. Brian and Jack Allen did that for two seasons, in 2014 and 2015. While older brother Jack was earning All-American honors those two years, Allen started off as a part-time starter and key reserve as a true freshman. He earned freshman All-American notice while playing in 12 games, starting once at left guard. Big Ten coaches named him second-team All-Conference the next season, when he started 10 games at left guard and two at center (for Jack when he was out due to injury). After Jack headed to the NFL, Brian was again an All-Conference pick (third team) by league coaches after showing a strong anchor and very good mobility and footwork while starting at three spots (first three and final two games at left guard, center for two games, right guard for five games). He was a second-team All-Big Ten pick as a senior, starting all 13 games as the leader in the middle of a young line of first-year starters.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 7/PFA
Overview
Allen's toughness and strength at the point of attack will endear him to offensive line coaches, but his physical limitations and likely "center-only" designation could hurt his draft standing. Allen is a grinder who needs to find a team with a running game that fits his makeup. Allen's power and ability to generate some movement in the running game give him a good shot of making a roster and sticking with a club.
Strengths
  • Will not back down from physical challenges
  • Holds up well despite being a little squatty
  • Championship high school wrestler with core power and plus leverage
  • Will torque engaged defenders to the ground with hip torque
  • Possesses good bend and unlocks into opponent at point of attack
  • Runs feet through contact for improved block security
  • Plays with good contact balance and a consistent base throughout rep
  • Can handle himself as a base blocker and offers good pop with down blocks
  • Loves to finish blocks with a message
  • Has good flexion in ankles to help him set his anchor in pass pro
  • Has starting experience at both guard spots and center
Weaknesses
  • Foot quickness and overall athleticism is below average
  • Snap to step quickness needs improvement
  • May be limited to more gap and power running schemes
  • Could struggle if asked to wander too far from the phone booth
  • Inconsistent hit rate when moving from first to second level targets
  • Lack of length becomes obvious when matched against opponent who can race into neutral zone off snap
  • Uses wide hands to corral rather efficient punch into opponents framework
  • Needs to be fast and first with hands or his power can be nullified
  • Will need punch and pass off twisting linemen more quickly on next level
Sources Tell Us

"We call that dude 'Bully of the Big Ten' because he is always bringing it to somebody each and every game. He's got that Alpha mentality because he comes from that kind of family. He might get drafted late but he'll make a team." - NFC area scout

Ants

Starter
I thought (hoped) we might go Center with one of our remaining picks if for no other reason than from what I've seen, a bunch of them look pretty good.
In watching Allen, he really seems to know what he's doing. He's strong and is able to position the player he's blocking; gets to the 2nd level and looks for someone to seal off.
The knock on him is that he's short with short arms, and will likely only be able to play C in the NFL.
...don't care - the film looks like he can play. That's what matters to me.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Solid pick. Maybe a little high, but he must be seen as someone who could start at Center this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With Noteboom and Allen----over 100 games played combined, over 60 starts between them, all OL spots started and played between them (LT. RT Boom) (C, LG, RG, Allen).

We all here at ROD agreed Rams needed depth at OL, most, like myself thought they would address it with later picks in the 6th. Kudos to McSnead for not fuking around and getting it done with their 1st two picks.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not only was this pick at least two rounds higher than he should've been taken, but there were quite a few better centers on the board. Not at all a fan of this pick.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yer second guessing Kromer Mem, ( I thought there were better centers also), But this must be Kromers guy

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yer second guessing Kromer Mem, ( I thought there were better centers also), But this must be Kromers guy

Even McVay, Snead, and Kromer make mistakes. I would've been fine with Allen in the sixth. Not where he was taken, though.

But I'll stop. What's done is done. Brian Allen is a Ram, so I'll be rooting for him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Like the versatility, both guard spots and center. Austin Blythe has similar versatility. Good depth for now and you can see the Rams building their future interior OL.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Even McVay, Snead, and Kromer make mistakes. I would've been fine with Allen in the sixth. Not where he was taken, though.

But I'll stop. What's done is done. Brian Allen is a Ram, so I'll be rooting for him.

Clearly Kromer had him rated as the best center left at this point in the draft and it only takes one other team to do the same. Regardless of rating, if your best rated center is no longer expected to be available when you pick again, you take him.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Projected SEVENTH ROUND UDFA !!!!!!!!!!!!
They could have gotten him with one of those 6th round picks.
Hope they know what they are doing. Looks like a " 4 Pillars" pick or something. "Try hard guy" Bad memories.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
O-line will be competitive when OTAs kick in, would prefer Allen in later rounds but it I'm comfortable knowing our depth in protecting our QB has me comfortable moving into the regular season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like this pick more than Noteboom in round 3. Allen's one of a bunch of interior possibilities who fit what the Rams want midrounds. It's a good choice.

Hopefully we have some LB picks incoming though. Got my fingers crossed on that.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
It has become pretty clear that the FO/staff:

1) likes OL who have a lotta starts and games played (healthy and experienced).
2) realizes just how important it was to land Whitworth and Sullivan last year and wants to be ready when they exit. Their experience will be invaluable teaching these young guys.
3) does not see our LB corps in as dire a situation as most.

As I said before, I think this OL is gonna look a lot different in 2019 when compared to last year's (2017).

It's a great feeling to know your team has no glaring holes in the starting lineups and can just focus on staying a step ahead of losing players down the road.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Projected SEVENTH ROUND UDFA !!!!!!!!!!!!
They could have gotten him with one of those 6th round picks.
Hope they know what they are doing. Looks like a " 4 Pillars" pick or something. "Try hard guy" Bad memories.

The fact the Rams took him earlier than projected proves another team is capable to have done the same. Arguably the best O line coach in football felt he was the best center available, and also must have felt it was too risky not to pick him at that spot due to other teams feeling the same way about him. As far a 4 pillars, Kromer wasn’t on the coaching staff and it has absolutely nothing to do with this team. Maybe Kromer made a mistake, but I think he has earned a little trust that he knows if Allen was worth it.

Read more: http://www.keepinspiring.me/100-most-inspirational-sports-quotes-of-all-time/#ixzz56aRk2qMU8ng

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's funny I had to go to reddit to find people who loved the pick :)

Those fans of the NFC North and in the Big 10 country all love this guy and are sorry we got him. They think he's vastly under rated. I don't watch a lot of B10 football so that's nice to hear.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
OK I have to admit I hated this pick

Why was Tim Settle taken so late? Will be monitoring him in Washington. Do we need another center? I think this guy ends up on the practice squad - are we going to drop two OL from last year? I just do not see the talent to justify a 4th round pick - but, will wait, hope and see

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The fact the Rams took him earlier than projected proves another team is capable to have done the same. Arguably the best O line coach in football felt he was the best center available, and also must have felt it was too risky not to pick him at that spot due to other teams feeling the same way about him. As far a 4 pillars, Kromer wasn’t on the coaching staff and it has absolutely nothing to do with this team. Maybe Kromer made a mistake, but I think he has earned a little trust that he knows if Allen was worth it.

Read more: http://www.keepinspiring.me/100-most-inspirational-sports-quotes-of-all-time/#ixzz56aRk2qMU8ng
Kromer was not on Spags staff..........................I never knew that, thanks for informing me on that, Fletch