With pick #192 in the draft the Rams select Jamil Demby OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
In the Senior Bowl, this was when Demby #65 came in the game and played LT.

He's easy to follow with that dark blue helmet. He does rotate out after a drive or 2 but he comes back in and plays several snaps.

View: https://youtu.be/IPZF9i79GXc?t=150

That was a good watch. Demby held is own against the USC Lber. He could anchor a little better and get a his hands up to keep the defenders away from his body. He isn't fast but, moves his feet well. He needs some work but, looked good against good competition for a late round pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I kinda like this guy too.....kicks into a guard role....and I bet he can start in 2019.....

@BonifayRam

whatcha think about him?
I am very pleased with the 3 OL'ers that were drafted. I can find no issues with what Snead/Mcvay Kromer did here. In truth I was thinking just two would be selected but the last selection was a true winner in my very small brain. @den-the-coach was the first person to get me tracking him & the more I read the better he looked. WE know he was a LT but everyone has him going inside as a swing OG we will see. Might surprise us @ RT never know.
(y):yay::yess::banana:

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I am very pleased with the 3 OL'ers that were drafted.
Exactly....I only question Allen...was it a lil high ( Can't believe there wasn't better value elsewhere)? Will he be eff3ective in the pro's? He's a good college player...but...

See...when I look at a player...on the line say....I try to imagine, "what would (so & so) do to him? Like...I put our best against them and try to imagine....what would Allen do against Suh or Donald or Brockers? What would Brown do?? What would Havenstein do vs Quinn??? That is the question I try to answer...in my not so large head....Demby...and Noteboom....I can see them...after a year or two of GROWTH....maybe being effective....I can't see that with Allen...no worries.. I never thought Brown or Havenstein would play as well as they have....of late.

I still see Edlekamp as a player on this roster...Not sure about Blythe...I'd cut Williams Friday...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the OLiners the Rams picked, DWilliams, Dunn and Neary are sure goners when the Rams make the cut down to 53

Allen is a Bulldog and won't back down from Brockers Suh and Donald, even though he might be over matched Allen is tenacious. Going to fun to watch in TC I'm counting on Allen to surprise and prove he was worth where he was picked.

Limey

Rookie
Allen is a champ wrestler. Strength, tenacity, technique, body control, leverage etc. I think he’s going to be a stud. Oh, and he’s smart as well. I like all 3 oliners they drafted. I don’t have a problem with where they were drafted, either. They made sure they got the players they wanted and let the LBers come to them later in the draft.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Allen is a Bulldog and won't back down from Brockers Suh and Donald, even though he might be over matched Allen is tenacious. Going to fun to watch in TC I'm counting on Allen to surprise and prove he was worth where he was picked.
I wanna see...
Allen is a champ wrestler. Strength, tenacity, technique, body control, leverage etc. I think he’s going to be a stud. Oh, and he’s smart as well.
I'll agree....the guy was a PLAYER.....as a college guy....but these are the pros....I just wanna see......

Do you know what his "Split-Times" where like!? IDK!
http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=130771&draftyear=2018&genpos=OG
20 yd dash-3.10, 10 yd dash-1.87, 20 yd shuttle-4.71, 3-cone drill-7.81
http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030218aaa.html
INDIANAPOLIS – Former Michigan State center Brian Allen performed on-field testing in front of NFL coaches and scouts on Friday in Lucas Oil Stadium on the fourth day of the NFL Combine.

Allen, who measured in at 6-1 and 300 pounds, was one of the top performers in the bench press on Thursday. He put up 225 pounds 27 times, which ranked tied for eighth among the offensive linemen at the combine.

On Friday, Allen ran a 40-yard dash time of 5.34 seconds, recorded a 26.5-inch vertical jump, and had a leap of 99.0 inches (8’3”) in the broad jump.

“Just that I’m pretty athletic and I’ll test well,” Allen said during Thursday’s media session on what he wanted to show coaches and scouts during the NFL Combine. “Really that I belong here and prove that I can put up some good numbers. At the end of the day, it comes down to football, and that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

During Allen’s live televised on-field workouts on NFL Network, analyst Shaun O'Hara, a three-time All-Pro and Super Bowl XLII Champion, liked what he saw from the Spartan center.

“I think Brian Allen has looked pretty good today,” O’Hara said on the broadcast. “He’s looked pretty athletic, he’s looked pretty good moving side to side.”

Allen has been preparing for the upcoming NFL Draft since the end of Michigan State’s season at the Holiday Bowl. He has been training in Arizona and started in the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Florida, on Jan. 20. The NFL Combine is just the next step in the long road toward the draft in late April, but he’s trying to enjoy the experience in Indianapolis.

“I wouldn’t say it’s anything that I didn’t expect, but just the amount of talent here,” Allen remarked on what has stood out at the combine. “Guys that you watch every Saturday, hear about every Saturday, and all the good guys that play, they’re all here. It’s pretty special to have all of those guys in one spot, and you get a chance to bond with them.”

Allen said he felt his best three games of the 2017 season were against Washington State, Penn State and Western Michigan, all victories for the Spartans. He helped anchor a young offensive line – Allen was the only senior starter on offense – to a 10-3 season and a No. 15 ranking in the final Associated Press Poll.

Allen, an extremely durable lineman who started all 13 games at center in 2017 and played in 51 career games for MSU, including 38 starts, is one of the top-10 ranked centers in the upcoming NFL Draft by CBS and ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

Michigan State has sent 44 participants to the NFL Combine in MSU head coach Mark Dantonio's tenure. Allen is the third offensive lineman under Dantonio to earn an NFL Combine invitation (Jack Allen and Jack Conklin in 2016).

Michigan State is one of only five schools to have had at least one player chosen every year since the inception of the common NFL Draft in 1967. MSU joins Florida, Michigan, Nebraska and USC as the only programs with at least one draft choice for 51 consecutive years.

NEXT UP:
Michigan State will host its annual Pro Day on Friday, March 23. The 2018 NFL Draft is set for April 26-28 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Brian Allen BIO:
In his first year as the full-time starting center in 2017, Allen anchored a young Spartan offensive line and helped lead MSU to a 10-3 overall record and No. 15 final ranking in The Associated Press Poll. He was the highest graded Spartan offensive lineman and led the team in snaps (977), knockdowns (98) and dominators (23). Allen finished the regular season ranked the No. 6 center in the FBS by Pro Football Focus. A four-time Pro Football Focus Big Ten Team of the Week honoree, Allen was also named Spartan Offensive Lineman of the Week on four occasions.

The Hinsdale, Illinois, native started 38 games during his four seasons in East Lansing, including a team-best 28 consecutive to close out his career, as part of a total of 51 games played. A three-time All-Big Ten honoree, he earned second-team honors from the coaches and media at center in 2017, and was also a second-team All-Big Ten selection at guard as a junior (media) in 2016 and as a sophomore in 2015 (coaches and media).

In addition to his impressive on-field resume, Allen was just as successful in the classroom. He was named a semifinalist in 2017 for the William V. Campbell Trophy, which is widely known as the "Academic Heisman," and also the National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Class. A three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection, Allen is an economics major with a 3.24 GPA.

Voted a team captain in 2017, Allen helped lead the Spartan senior class to a 36-16 record from 2014-17, including two bowl wins (2014 Cotton, 2017 Holiday), one Big Ten Championship (2015) and one College Football Playoff appearance (2015). The 36 wins are sixth most by a class in school history.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brian-allen?id=32462018-0002-5598-26c7-46be083be116
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

Draft Projection
Rounds 7/PFA
Overview

Allen's toughness and strength at the point of attack will endear him to offensive line coaches, but his physical limitations and likely "center-only" designation could hurt his draft standing. Allen is a grinder who needs to find a team with a running game that fits his makeup. Allen's power and ability to generate some movement in the running game give him a good shot of making a roster and sticking with a club.

Strengths
  • Will not back down from physical challenges
  • Holds up well despite being a little squatty
  • Championship high school wrestler with core power and plus leverage
  • Will torque engaged defenders to the ground with hip torque
  • Possesses good bend and unlocks into opponent at point of attack
  • Runs feet through contact for improved block security
  • Plays with good contact balance and a consistent base throughout rep
  • Can handle himself as a base blocker and offers good pop with down blocks
  • Loves to finish blocks with a message
  • Has good flexion in ankles to help him set his anchor in pass pro
  • Has starting experience at both guard spots and center
Weaknesses
  • Foot quickness and overall athleticism is below average
  • Snap to step quickness needs improvement
  • May be limited to more gap and power running schemes
  • Could struggle if asked to wander too far from the phone booth
  • Inconsistent hit rate when moving from first to second level targets
  • Lack of length becomes obvious when matched against opponent who can race into neutral zone off snap
  • Uses wide hands to corral rather efficient punch into opponents framework
  • Needs to be fast and first with hands or his power can be nullified
  • Will need punch and pass off twisting linemen more quickly on next level
Sources Tell Us

"We call that dude 'Bully of the Big Ten' because he is always bringing it to somebody each and every game. He's got that Alpha mentality because he comes from that kind of family. He might get drafted late but he'll make a team." - NFC area scout

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly....I only question Allen...was it a lil high ( Can't believe there wasn't better value elsewhere)? Will he be eff3ective in the pro's? He's a good college player...but...

See...when I look at a player...on the line say....I try to imagine, "what would (so & so) do to him? Like...I put our best against them and try to imagine....what would Allen do against Suh or Donald or Brockers? What would Brown do?? What would Havenstein do vs Quinn??? That is the question I try to answer...in my not so large head....Demby...and Noteboom....I can see them...after a year or two of GROWTH....maybe being effective....I can't see that with Allen...no worries.. I never thought Brown or Havenstein would play as well as they have....of late.

I still see Edlekamp as a player on this roster...Not sure about Blythe...I'd cut Williams Friday...

Well as for now it’s OTA’s & everyone gets to compete. Yes Williams looks like he is a goner !! What about Lucas ??

Noteboom has a lot of confidence!! He gets to come in and be mentored by Whitworth. He should get first team reps on Wednesday’s !!
Who knows what happens to Brown & Havenstein ?? Even Saffold ??

Demby reminds me of a young Saffold who The Rams had at guard until they needed him a LT his rookie year. From The Rams roster they have Demby listed a OG !! Perfect type of guy I thought they needed was a OT moving to OG in the NFL.
The Brian Alllen draft pick totally threw me off !! I thought The Rams we’re set there. Kromer must have had high marks on him. His brother is in the NFL & he is better than his brother.

The main thing is The Rams added depth to there OLine & Kromer got to have input as well. To me this makes the draft successful!!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
The three OL chosen have one common theme. They're smart and know how to play their position. And these three will be the foundation for the Rams for many years. I like the picks.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What about Lucas ??
While at Kansas St...guys really liked him....I don't have an opinion one way or the other....

Even Saffold ??
I wouldn't get rid of our best offensive lineman.....for what? He's on a good contract and has remained relatively healthy.
His brother is in the NFL & he is better than his brother.
I thought the older brother was better....Little Allen is scrappy tho...and plays well vs good competition....he had a game vs Hurst from Michigan....either Hurst is soft or Allen is the second coming of Fredrickson....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't get rid of our best offensive lineman.....for what? He's on a good contract and has remained relatively healthy.
Contract is ok but it runs out at the end of the year. With all the other guys needing new deals it might be time to move on from turns 30 in a month.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While at Kansas St...guys really liked him....I don't have an opinion one way or the other....

I thought the older brother was better....Little Allen is scrappy tho...and plays well vs good competition....he had a game vs Hurst from Michigan....either Hurst is soft or Allen is the second coming of Fredrickson....
He's the second coming of Fredrickson, :rockon:whoever that is. Seriously, I watched three college games on YouTube and only saw him commit one penalty, and maybe he was beaten one time badly. I also saw him open a path for multiple TD's, some of which he blocked more than one defender in clearing the way for a TD. Dude will start for us in 2019 at Center....BOOK IT! (plus, his 40 time bro....EXCELLENT!)

PS: oops! I was talking about Bryan Allen..never mind

TexasRam

Legend
In the Senior Bowl, this was when Demby #65 came in the game and played LT.

He's easy to follow with that dark blue helmet. He does rotate out after a drive or 2 but he comes back in and plays several snaps.

View: https://youtu.be/IPZF9i79GXc?t=150

Nice find Florida.

I like Demby's showing here. He looks quick, has Good Technique and positioning. He needs to get a little stronger and he may be a steal. He has that wide body that is hard to get around and uses some pretty solid hand engagement. May be better depth for us than NoteBoom in year 1. They both have potential down the road but both need to get stronger.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nice find Florida.

I like Demby's showing here. He looks quick, has Good Technique and positioning. He needs to get a little stronger and he may be a steal. He has that wide body that is hard to get around and uses some pretty solid hand engagement. May be better depth for us than Noteboom in year 1. They both have potential down the road but both need to get stronger.

Wll Snead did say that they were looking for OT's early who could move inside early & then transition-to the outside OT's post with experience....appears he & Kromer followed through on this early plan. Demby played & started 40 NCAA @ LT. Noteboom started 40 gms @ OT. 13 pf which were @ RT the rest @ LT. So make no mistake these two are OT's material. Just what the doctor ordered.

The get stronger comment is Stamped on all of our OL'ers with the exception maybe interior OL'er 4th rd pick Brian Allen who sure looks to be right where he needs to be to contend in the NFL.