With pick #136 in the draft the Rams select John Franklin-Myers DE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's no surprise Franklin's talent went under the recruiting radar, as his Greenville, Texas high school team went winless for four years (0-40). He was a two-time All-District pick, however, and received interest from SFA to earn a scholarship. Franklin played in eight games as a reserve in 2014 (11 tackles, one for loss) and then took over a starring role on defense. He was a second-team All-Southland Conference pick in 2015, starting four of 11 games, posting 32 tackles, 8.5 for loss, and six sacks (three coming against Southeastern Louisiana). Franklin was first-team all-conference in 2016, leading the Lumberjacks with 14.5 tackles for loss (32 total stops) and eight sacks and also ranking eighth in the FCS with four forced fumbles. He completed his career as a second-team all-conference selection in 2017, starting 10 of 11 games and again leading his squad with 13.5 tackles for loss (55 total) and 3.5 sacks.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 5-6
NFL Comparison
Datone Jones
Overview
Franklin-Myers carried 297 pounds on his frame this spring but played at 280 at the NFLPA game in January. His sweet spot might be around 290 pounds, which would position him more favorably as a 3-4 defensive end with some rush potential. Franklin-Myers flashes power at the point of attack and the ability to get a quick win when he's working around the edges. He's a solid developmental prospect with intriguing upside if the technique improves.
Strengths
  • NFL-worthy build with good size and a broad, tapered chest
  • Wingspan measured over 82 inches at the NFLPA game
  • Tape is full of him bludgeoning blockers across from him
  • Explosive upper body power
  • Carries bang behind his pads and is able to knock opponents off-balance when his leverage is right
  • Decent lateral quickness to flatten out runners to the perimeter
  • Shows athletic ability to work edge-to-edge as rusher
  • Gets good mileage from his arm-over move and works his hands and feet in unison
  • Possesses balance to recover
Weaknesses
  • Not a clean position fit at either defensive end
  • Tight-hipped and short stepper
  • Lacks bend as a rusher
  • Will need to improve feel for double teams
  • Hands lack accuracy and will slide off the mark
  • Needs to learn to stack and control rather than just punch his opponents
  • Slow to get revved up when forced to change directions
  • Rarely faced off against quality looks from guards and tackles
Sources Tell Us

"I thought he flashed at the NFLPA game. He may have something to him. He has some talent but we'll see how he handles the Combine." -- NFC Director of Scouting

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd have rather picked Brian Allen again.

jjab360

Legend
I'm not gonna lie, I haven't been paying that close attention to the draft this year, but this is definitely my third "who?" pick in a row lol. Here's hoping he's the next Ethan Westbrooks, I guess.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams selected Stephen F. Austin DE John Franklin-Myers with the No. 135 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft.
Franklin-Myers (6'4/284) was lightly recruited out of high school but put together a quietly stellar career at Stephen F. Austin, earning second-team All-Southland honors as a senior in 2017 while leading the Lumberjacks with 13.5 tackles for loss. He runs well for his size (4.75) but was only a so-so pass-rusher in college (3.5 sacks as a senior). Franklin-Myers may have been a reach at this juncture.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is actually a pick that I could see being one we look back at down the road and celebrate. Franklin-Myers has a lot of potential, and I'm sure being around guys like Donald, Suh, and Brockers won't hurt him. He's an intelligent kid with plus athleticism and heavy hands. When you combine athleticism and heavy hands, it usually leads to good outcomes.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
3.5 sacks as a senior at an FCS school?

Guess I’ll have to trust them on this one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Let's just see if he can win a roster spot at this point. Not gonna be easy to do that with this DL room, so I'm thinkin PS is most likely.

LBs are the ones who have the best shot, obviously. And I pray we hit on a couple of them because if we do we'll be in business.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like this guy more and more....

www.thepinelog.com/sports/article_4df4bc00-4e32-11e8-b4b8-638648203e69.html

John Franklin drafted by LA Rams
  • Devin Brooks, Sports Editor

5ae9fdb24ec82.image.jpg

John Franklin, defensive end, commands the defensive line during an SFA football game during the 2017 season. Franklin was drafted 135th overall by the Los Angeles Rams.

Photo courtesy of SFA Athletics

John Franklin, former SFA defensive end, fulfilled his life’s dream of becoming a professional football player when he was selected during the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams on Saturday.

“I feel really good and ready to get to work for the Rams,” Franklin said. “It’s a dream come true. I’ve always wanted to play in the NFL, and now I have been given the opportunity. I look forward to making the most of it.”

The 6-foot-4-inch, 283-pound defensive end was the 35th pick of the fourth round and the 135th overall pick of the draft. He was the 15th defensive end taken in the draft.

Franklin’s name will be stamped in the SFA history books as he became the 33rd SFA football player in program history to hear his name called during the NFL Draft. His fourth-round selection was the highest selection for an SFA player since the 1998 NFL Draft when former SFA greats Mikhael Ricks (59thoverall, second round) and Jeremiah Trotter (72nd overall, third round) were selected.

Despite multiple former SFA football players signing to professional teams within the last four years—Zach Conque (Houston Texans), Justice Liggins (Indianapolis Colts), Willie Jefferson (Saskatchewan Roughriders), Terran Vaughn (Saskatchewan Roughriders) and Gus Johnson (NFL free agent)—Franklin is the first SFA player since 2011 to be drafted to an NFL team.

Besides his family, another person who’s just as proud and excited for Franklin’s new journey is Clint Conque, SFA head football coach.

“Myself and our entire coaching staff are very excited for John,” Conque said. “He put in a solid four years here at SFA and has been a mainstay on the defensive front for us. Franklin has a very high ceiling, and the Los Angeles Rams recognized the same things that we did in him four years ago.

“What’s great about the organization John will be joining is that the Rams have arguably the best defensive line in the NFL. He will be able to learn from the best in the business.”

During his career at Greenville High School, Franklin went 0-40 as a member of the Greenville football program. Franklin turned that bad fortune around when he became amember of the SFA Lumberjacks in 2014 and proceeded to go 21-25 during his four-year career at SFA.

While at SFA, Franklin was molded into a defensive force. He led the Lumberjacks’ defensive front in his final season suiting up for the purple and white. During the 2017 season, Franklin posted a team-high 13.5 tackles for a loss of 46 yards, and he compiled 3.5 sacks for a loss of 24 yards. In Southland Conference play, Franklin’s 11.5 tackles were fifth-most in the Southland tying for sixth in tackles and yardage lost per game in the SLC (1.28). Franklin ranked 42nd nationally in tackles for loss per game (1.2), and he finished with the fifth-most total tackles (55) on the team and had 27 solo stops.

Franklin capped off his SFA career ranking fifth all-time on the tackles for loss list (37.5) and ninth in all-time career sacks (17.5). Franklin also recorded 70 solo tackles, five forced fumbles and 22 quarterback hurries during his illustrious SFA career.

Franklin’s performance at SFA and at the 2018 National Football League Players Association Collegiate Bowl earned him an invite to the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine that was held inside the dome of Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Franklin performed well in front of many NFL scouts. He posted top-10 marks in five different workouts for the defensive end position. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds (fifth- fastest among defensive lineman), ran a 4.48 in the shuttle run (tied for sixth among defensive lineman), recorded a 33-inch vertical jump (seventh among defensive lineman), posted a 113- inch broad jump (eighth among defensive lineman) and was ninth in the three-cone drill (7.36 seconds).

Franklin’s work earned him his spot on the LA Rams, a team that went 11-5 last season and won the NFC West division with a 4-2 record.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's just see if he can win a roster spot at this point. Not gonna be easy to do that with this DL room, so I'm thinkin PS is most likely.

LBs are the ones who have the best shot, obviously. And I pray we hit on a couple of them because if we do we'll be in business.

I bet he wins a spot. The Rams won't want to expose him to waivers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well I will add this @jrry32... The interview vids I have seen of him have impressed me, kid really has his head on straight. He is a quality young man so for that reason I am rooting for him to make it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
2015: 6 sacks
2016: 8 sacks
2017: 3.5 sacks

I think I read they moved him from a stand up end to a 3 technique his senior yr.... so I assume he got a lot of double teams etc inside... still you would like to see more productivity. He does look the part in terms of size and athletic ability.