With Initial Surge Over, Rams still can find FA Bargains

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
With initial surge over, Rams still can find free-agent bargains
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-over-rams-can-still-find-free-agent-bargains

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Before the NFL added the early negotiating window a few years ago in an effort to minimize illegal tampering with free agents, the waves of free agency took much longer to develop.

Under the new system, most of the top players go off the board in the opening hours of free agency and many actually agree to deals before they are even allowed to put pen to paper.

We are now two days into the new league year and the majority of the big ticket items have been cleared from the shelves. Here's a look at Bill Polian's free-agent tracker and what's left on the market.

Among the big names still available are Green Bay cornerback Casey Hayward, New England defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, San Diego safety Eric Weddle, Cincinnati safety Reggie Nelson, Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and Oakland offensive tackle Donald Penn.

In most cases, the top players still available have some warts, often a combination of price and age. Teams are hesitant to pay big money for players 30 or older and prefer to wait for their prices to drop. Likewise, older players often are more concerned with finding the right fit and a chance to win rather than just getting the top dollar.

From a Los Angeles Rams perspective, there's still business to be done. According to the NFLPA, the Rams have about $25 million in cap space left. If you account for about $8 million-$10 million in money that must be set aside for a draft class and injury contingencies, the Rams have roughly $15 million-$17 million in functional cap space.

That's enough to get some business done. One area the Rams must continue to investigate is finding a kicker. Greg Zuerlein is a free agent and could be back, but the Rams also would like to bring in competition for him. They also need depth at pretty much every position on the defense and a starter at free safety. And, of course, that doesn't account for the obvious needs at quarterback, wide receiver and tight end.

So far, the Rams haven't expressed serious interest in any top quarterbacks or wide receiver, though that is always subject to change as the market evolves. For now, it's probably best to expect the Rams to continue to monitor the market to see if they can find players who fit their scheme and could be possible bargains.

Last year, that's how they found defensive tackle Nick Fairley and signed him on a one-year prove-it deal.

We also can't rule out the possibility that some of that money will go to young players the Rams want to keep -- such as defensive tackle Michael Brockers and linebacker Alec Ogletree -- so they don't find themselves scrambling to sign them at this time next year.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If Fairley has had no interest, we need to bring him back on a fair deal. Then DT is set for a while. Also wouldn't mind throwing an offer out to Weddle or Nelson. This is the rest of my wish list. If Boldin will come on a fair deal, then yeah lets grab him too.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
From a Los Angeles Rams perspective, there's still business to be done. According to the NFLPA, the Rams have about $25 million in cap space left. If you account for about $8 million-$10 million in money that must be set aside for a draft class and injury contingencies, the Rams have roughly $15 million-$17 million in functional cap space.
Now in reading this, if we would have been able to retain Jenkins and/or McCleod, we would not have had anything left. It was kind of imperative that a couple of guys go away, just to let us conduct business...... this wasn't quite the message the Rams wanted their fanbase to hear.........

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Now in reading this, if we would have been able to retain Jenkins and/or McCleod, we would not have had anything left. It was kind of imperative that a couple of guys go away, just to let us conduct business...... this wasn't quite the message the Rams wanted their fanbase to hear.........

True. But I don't think many of us here at ROD expected these guys to get as much $$ as they did. I think Jenks alone got about $3M more per year then most of us would have even thought he would get. I didn't expect Rod to get such a big deal either. Seeing the numbers though, make the losses easier.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Fairley has had no interest, we need to bring him back on a fair deal. Then DT is set for a while. Also wouldn't mind throwing an offer out to Weddle or Nelson. This is the rest of my wish list. If Boldin will come on a fair deal, then yeah lets grab him too.

Totally agree. The Rams shouldn't sit on the draft and figure it is a DT rich draft and they can replace Fairley there. What if they get a great offer and have to trade away their second round picks? Or more to move to #1. I think they should sign someone if not Nick but Nick played well once acclimated.

Now I think they have FS covered already. No need to spend there IMO.

I am so uncertain with Bolden. However, bringing his toughness to the postion might be good for other receivers. I felt the same about Welker.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just want to know were this^ Cap space Ranks among the 32 other Teams now!?

Ram65

Legend
True. But I don't think many of us here at ROD expected these guys to get as much $$ as they did. I think Jenks alone got about $3M more per year then most of us would have even thought he would get. I didn't expect Rod to get such a big deal either. Seeing the numbers though, make the losses easier.

I think many thought Jenks was going to get 12+ Million. Even 14 Million crazy money was mentioned. I did not expect Tru to get the franchise tag. I was thinking transition tag. Free agents always get stupid money it seem.

I'm not real high on Fairley but 3-4 Million a year or so could work.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think rams should go after
Totally agree. The Rams shouldn't sit on the draft and figure it is a DT rich draft and they can replace Fairley there. What if they get a great offer and have to trade away their second round picks? Or more to move to #1. I think they should sign someone if not Nick but Nick played well once acclimated.

Now I think they have FS covered already. No need to spend there IMO.

I am so uncertain with Bolden. However, bringing his toughness to the postion might be good for other receivers. I felt the same about Welker.

How do they have fs covered? Rodney played really well with McDonald last year, and he will be missed. I would love to sign Reggie nelson and have a coverage fs back there with hard hitting McDonald. We have been slacking this offseason so far and there are a lot of good player out there.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think rams should pursue Reggie nelson at fs, and go after a veteran WR like Boldin, Johnson or Roddy white, it would help the younger guys and they all can still catch the ball and make some plays. We also should resign fairley since no one has jumped on him yet and lastly we need a play making tight end and Chicago has 2 of them !

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think rams should go after

How do they have fs covered? Rodney played really well with McDonald last year, and he will be missed. I would love to sign Reggie nelson and have a coverage fs back there with hard hitting McDonald. We have been slacking this offseason so far and there are a lot of good player out there.

I think that they will give Cody and Mo maybe even Christian Bryant the shot. McLeod was an UDFA afterall. They have some physically gifted players to take over. My favorite is Alexander. He played there in spot duty. He is faster than McLeod and thus rangier. It's just my speculation, but they have to save cap room somewhere and we all have heard from the start that Fisher doesn't get real worried about Free Safety.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think rams should pursue Reggie nelson at fs, and go after a veteran WR like Boldin, Johnson or Roddy white, it would help the younger guys and they all can still catch the ball and make some plays. We also should resign fairley since no one has jumped on him yet and lastly we need a play making tight end and Chicago has 2 of them !

Actually w/ this small of amount left. I can't see a big name being offered a third of what we have left. (Nelson, Boldin, White, etc). We will look for bargains. We still have Harkey, Zuerline situations to clear up and then......look at what's left. The only thing left that could help if we could get Tru to sign (multi-year) for less than the transition tag (ie 10-11 mil a year....) and then get some of that back. but expect Cody Davis to be your next guy up @ FS. And probably drafting a WR and TE to give depth there. But big names........ain't happening. Unless the big names are still there....after the draft.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boldin is a must. Also should make sure we get DL depth.

But I think we should definitely put some money toward a CB. Something like...

Heyward, Boldin, Fairly....should be able to swing that for $15 million. That'd be amazing.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Heyward, Boldin, Fairly....should be able to swing that for $15 million. That'd be amazing.

No way can you get those three for $15M. Didn't we give Fairley $5M last year? He's going to want a raise. So let's say $6M. Boldin isn't going to take some cheap deal. Let's say he takes a modest $5M. Now we're at $11M. So Casey Heyward for only $4M?? Sign me up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Please bring in Boldin

I now want Bolden on the Rams, even if he only play's one game. Bolden against JJ on the Giants is at least a 10 point swing in our favor.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

Heyward is more of zone corner and plays a lot in slot. The Rams primarily play man and IMO joyner remains at the nickel back and keeps progressing so not a great fit there.

Definitely all in for bringing Fairley back he is the ideal rotational DT. Interesting to see what is market is he made 5 million last year, which is starting DT money.

I like Boldin, but he is 35 not a great fit for us in that regard.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Greg Zuerlein is a free agent and could be back, but the Rams also would like to bring in competition for him.

Competition for Greg is a must. I feel like we can definitely improve this position for next to nothing in cost.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Competition for Greg is a must. I feel like we can definitely improve this position for next to nothing in cost.

He is terrible on grass. I'm betting the Rams will have a new kicker this season.